Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #76
GreenCntryGirl
The DIS keeps me up past my bedtime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pirate 2 View Post
It is very funny but really sad that so many find this news as positive. Disney couldn't make animated so they bought Pixar. They can't generate live action success so they buy Lucasfilm for Star Wars, a huge franchise but one that is oh so dated and useless. I couldn't even talk my 23 yo daughter into riding Star Wars with me today and she still hasn't ridden the updated version!

Too bad Disney forgot how to harness imagination. Walt would not want to be unfrozen at this point.

I doubt this influences Avatar beyond the switch to plan B, which was always coming anyway.
My boys, 21 and 26, are very excited. Like super super super excited. But, we love the franchise a LOT.

We don't find the franchise dated, either...but we follow the "universe" via the books, comics, and video games that are current.
GreenCntryGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #77
taymorel
Mouseketeer

Congrats for all the Star Wars fans. We are not fans of Star Wars (unless you count Lego Star Wars for our son). But, if this means possible new rides, I am all for it!!

Me DH DS(8)

2010 Contemporary
2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge/Royal Pacific
taymorel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #78
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by taymorel View Post
Congrats for all the Star Wars fans. We are not fans of Star Wars (unless you count Lego Star Wars for our son). But, if this means possible new rides, I am all for it!!
I'm a major Star Wars fan but cynical about this. Time will tell if I'm wrong and I sincerely hope that I am.

I see Peter Pirate above. Funny how often we continue to agree but if you see this do check out the new Star Tours. It's pretty good.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #79
Lucky626
Earning My Ears

So does this mean that Princess Leia is now a Disney princess?
Lucky626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:34 PM   #80
yitbos96bb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnGorski View Post
Forget about Starwars land in DHS, I would say a 5th gate! j/k. This is big news could be a game changer for Disney good or bad don't know yet.
Well if there was a brand that would easily lend itself to an entire park it is Star Wars. I mean you could Hub and Spoke it easily with Tatooine, naboo, Corusant, Kashykk or The Endor Moon, easily plus a few more lands.

Doubt it happens, but my dream would be Indy Jones and Cars lands at DHS and a 5th Gate Star Wars Kingdom... Nerdgasm!!!
Old 10-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #81
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWarsJez
As a huge Star Wars and Disney fan this is great news for me. After the (IMO) dreadful mess of the last 3 movies I hope they get someone like Joss Whedon to lead the creative process for the new trilogy.

My predictions...
May 20th 2015 Star Wars Ep7 - set 20 years after Return of the Jedi
Avatar Land cancelled at Animal Kingdom
New Star Wars Land at Disney Studios WDW opens.... May 20 2015.
This post was hijacked from my brain...
Except for the Star Wars land by 2015...Disney construction does not move that fast anymore
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Not Soon Enough
Gift Shop Quality: Horrible
Portion Size: Shrinking and Suffering from Inflation

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #82
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnGorski
Forget about Starwars land in DHS, I would say a 5th gate! j/k. This is big news could be a game changer for Disney good or bad don't know yet.
Nope

...this changes nothing in regards to parks in Florida...additional parks that is.

The issues with more parks include lack of labor, park cannibalization, a cap on average vacation stays, and exhorbinant costs to develop a new site...

Nothing has changed. The economics of a new park doesn't work out for the near or middle term future.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Not Soon Enough
Gift Shop Quality: Horrible
Portion Size: Shrinking and Suffering from Inflation

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:17 PM   #83
disneyworld1977
Mouseketeer

I am a Star Wars fan, not a massive one per say, but I like it alot.

I was not a fan of the Marvel acquisition but this I agree with more since we have already had Star Tours at HS. I don't see them making a whole park of Star Wars like some would want, it would be cool I guess, but I don't think they would get the non fans of Star Wars there, imo. But I would like to see some expansion to HS by Star Tours and by Backlot Express....say the Cantina, some other attraction(s) and make it a decked out "land". Something like Cars Land at DCA.

I just wouldn't like to see Star Wars attractions flooded at the other parks. Stay at HS!! Just my opinion!
*DL* Offsite - 2000, 2003, 2005, 2011, SEPT 2013!! *WDW* Offsite - 80's , 90's ** POP CENTURY - 2004, 2009 ** CORONADO SPRINGS - 2008 ** PORT ORLEANS (Riverside) - 2011 ** ALL STAR MOVIES - 2012 ** FT. WILDERNESS CABINS DEC 2013
ME DW
disneyworld1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:28 PM   #84
johnGorski
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yitbos96bb View Post
Well if there was a brand that would easily lend itself to an entire park it is Star Wars. I mean you could Hub and Spoke it easily with Tatooine, naboo, Corusant, Kashykk or The Endor Moon, easily plus a few more lands.

Doubt it happens, but my dream would be Indy Jones and Cars lands at DHS and a 5th Gate Star Wars Kingdom... Nerdgasm!!!
That is what I was thinking if a park would be built hub and spoke to the diffrent planets. If done right a 5th gate featuring star wars could cost the 4billion Disney just paid Lucas.

What my thoughts;Avatar project as is at DAK, getting 350mill vs 500million orginally planned.

DHS will get a MAJOR facelift 1$billion plus featuring both cars land and lucas land.

Looks like both DAK, DHS are on the right path to become full day parks.
johnGorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:52 PM   #85
wendyt_ca
DIS Veteran

I think that this will be great! And completely makes sense since it was already in DHS.

Me and DH are 28 and both love Star Wars (especially DH). It's certainly not dated. I know a lot of people younger than us as well who love it. My 10 year old brother even enjoys Star Wars.

I think that Disney is also going to revive it and allow Star Wars to continue instead of it dying off. And Disney will make it something the newer generations can love

AKL SV(DVC)/BLT TPV(DVC) Oct 12-20, 2013 (Girl's Trip)AOA/AKL SV(DVC) - May 12-20,2013 (1st Trip with little brother)/Townhouse condo off-site - Feb 13-20, 2013/AKL SV/BLT TPV (DVC) - Oct 3-9, 2012 / DLH Paris (DVC) - Sept 10-12, 2012 - London/Paris vacation/AKL(DVC) - April 21-29th, 2012(Girl's trip)/Split Stay - Poly TPV/AKL SV/CR MK View - Oct 11 - 19, 2011 /CBR Oct 31 - Nov 8, 2010 /The Venetian Las Vegas Sept 25 - 30, 2010 - First trip to Disneyland / CSR Nov 27 - Dec 8 2009 /POP June 15, 2008 - June 25, 2008 - Our Disney Honeymoon / Sheraton Vistana Sept 22, 2006-30, 2006 - First Trip/DH proposed during Wishes in Rose Garden
wendyt_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:42 AM   #86
EpicBilynn
Mouseketeer

I am so incredibly stoked! I was leery when Disney acquired Marvel, but look how amazing that pairing turned out to be! As a HUGE fan of Star Wars I was excited (and a little anxious) when I heard the news, but George Lucas has trusted Disney with the Star Wars brand for years now and I believe Episode 7 will be awesome! No one is better equipped to make this happen than Disney, IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 10-31-2012, 02:06 AM   #87
Kronk N Tink
Found Nemo

This should be good news. Star Wars has been dying for a while now and new handlers were needed to bring life back into it... wether Disney is the right choice remains to be seen.

Unfortunately we can't even use the Marvel movies as a template as Avengers was the last movie produced in conjunction with Paramount, Disney is too smart to change the winning formula for Avengers 2 or any of the other sequels but the new Movies coming out (GOTG and Ant Man... especially Ant Man) will be the real test in terms of how things go under the Disney handle. As long as they give Marvel Studios their headway I have enough confidence in the track record to give it a shot... yes even Ant Man.

However with Star Wars being in a decline already the same headway may not work (although there will be improvement just in getting the directing reins out of Lucas' hands). We could end up with old time Star Wars, or we could end up with another Narnia (which while good wasn't up to making a phenomenon). Personally I'm kinda hoping they recast the major characters (which I know is blasphemy but I think it's needed...hey it worked for Star trek) and start talking to Timothy Zahn about adapting the Heir to the Empire series. An already proven excellent storyline that will thrill die hard fans and offer up enough surprises for casual fans. Might be just what the doctor ordered.

The theme park possibilities are certainly not the major perk of this deal for Disney but in the long run they might just be the best perks for us. A full blown Star Wars land would be awesome along with a Star Wars E-Ticket but I would hope they keep it in the Studios. Not that Tomorrowland doesn't need some TLC but I think it's better with more original concepts. Bring it back to the 50's kitsch sci-fi theme it was once upon a time and bring back it's charm. One or two character attractions maybe (if appropriate... like Buzz) but we don't need a character overload there.

For those hoping for Dr. Jones if I'm not mistaken (and I might be) there may be further complications with that as I'm sure Mr. Spielberg probobly has at least some say in what happens there still. Nothing that couldn't be worked out but definately might delay things.

And I don't see where this should effect Avatarland at all... especially the scaled down version we've seen leaked.

I guess that now with Star Wars + Marvel + Pirates Disney can finally stop complaining they have nothing for the boy market.

Feb 2013 CBR
Nemo's First Trip Feb 2012 ASMo
Kronk and Tink's first trip together Oct 2008 POFQ
Kronk has stayed many many times (somewhere between 15-20) At FW
Kronk N Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:18 AM   #88
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

I love this news!! I think it will keep Star Wars more up front now for years and years to come. I would hate to see it "die out" as I am of the Star Wars generation - remember how evolutionary it was for film -standing outside the theater in a huge line to see the first one.

Lived in Marin county California for awhile - loved it out there - knew a lot of folks who worked for Industrial Light and Magic (George Lucas' special effects studio in San Rafael) - even got to be part of a special sound effect for something - don't know what - but they needed a recording of a murmuring crowd so got the church congregation outside after service and recorded us murmuring - LOL - wonder if they ever used that and wonder what they used it for.

1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR *

POR 2009 Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ching+t+shirts
DLRP Trip Reports
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2419270
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2476348
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rd+trip+report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....le+trip+report
ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:28 AM   #89
kamik86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk N Tink View Post
Unfortunately we can't even use the Marvel movies as a template as Avengers was the last movie produced in conjunction with Paramount, Disney is too smart to change the winning formula for Avengers 2 or any of the other sequels but the new Movies coming out (GOTG and Ant Man... especially Ant Man) will be the real test in terms of how things go under the Disney handle. As long as they give Marvel Studios their headway I have enough confidence in the track record to give it a shot... yes even Ant Man.
If Ant Man sucks though I'm not sure that would be disney's fault. I mean its Ant Man. I'm not a fan of him as a super hero and he sucked as a guy too (I mean there was even a whole thing about him beating his wife [wasp] and captain america beating him for it..) yeah such a great super hero.

I want a black panther movie. Black Panther is cool.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:54 AM   #90
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWarsJez View Post
As a huge Star Wars and Disney fan this is great news for me. After the (IMO) dreadful mess of the last 3 movies I hope they get someone like Joss Whedon to lead the creative process for the new trilogy.

My predictions...
May 20th 2015 Star Wars Ep7 - set 20 years after Return of the Jedi
Avatar Land cancelled at Animal Kingdom
New Star Wars Land at Disney Studios WDW opens.... May 20 2015.
As much as I love Joss, Disney, and SW, I can't see Joss joining up in that. Although there was a FB post about it today..
WDW (off-site) '90 - Caribbean Beach '07 - French Quarter '08 - Riverside '11 - Riverside '12 - Tokyo DisneySea '12 (one-post quick TR here!) - DLR (off-site) '13 - Grand Californian '14 (presidential suite tour here!) - Yacht Club '14
Princess Half Marathoner '11 - '12 - GSC '14 on the GKTW team!

afnaechiquita is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: