Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 12:41 AM   #1
Arsenal1982
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 767

Notre Dame!!!!

Very impressive win, Go Irish!! I hope the rest of the world learned a lesson tonight.. Don't you ever doubt the Irish again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Arsenal1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:22 AM   #2
karen l
DIS Veteran
 
karen l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NH
Posts: 1,360

Very impressive win - wishing the Irish continued success!
__________________
Karen
karen l is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-28-2012, 06:30 AM   #3
ICF
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,086

Great win for the Irish!!

Hoping to see them 11-0 heading into USC in late November....and then 12-0 when they leave!

GO IRISH!
ICF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
jcieutat
Mouseketeer
 
jcieutat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southeast Louisiana
Posts: 359

I have to say that they did look impressive last night. The BCS is gonna be one huge mess this year. I think Alabama, Oregon, ND, and possibly Kansas State will go undefeated. I know Alabama will be there in the end but its going to be a controversy for the number two spot. I wish ND would have joined the ACC full time in football, that would have given them more legitimacy. They need to play in a conference championship like the rest.

GO NOLES >>>------>>
__________________


35 trips and counting!!!
jcieutat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
ICF
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,086

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcieutat View Post
I wish ND would have joined the ACC full time in football, that would have given them more legitimacy. They need to play in a conference championship like the rest.

GO NOLES >>>------>>
ND doesn't need the ACC in football, and they aren't a very good football conference to begin with. They have 2 schools in the whole ACC that have fewer than 3 losses -- FSU & Clemson. ND plays 3 ACC schools this season (Miami, Wake & BC) as it is. For reference, here's a ranking that list them as only the 6th best conference.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...onference-play

If they joined the ACC full time, they wouldn't be able to play schools like - USC, Oklahoma, Stanford, Michigan or Michigan State most years. They would likely end up playing those difficult out of conference schedules that FSU (Murray State / Savannah State) & Clemson (Ball State/Furman) play.

The ACC is a great basketball conference - and with the Big East turning into a giant mess and everyone leaving, it was time for the rest of ND's team to find a new home....and they ended up in one of the top Hoops Conferences in the country.

Last edited by ICF; 10-28-2012 at 10:17 AM.
ICF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
ez
Yoshi Lover
Alas, I have been a dvc and concierge snob (but I'll stay in a moderate if I must)
 
ez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Ormond Beach, Florida, U.S.A
Posts: 1,692

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcieutat View Post
I have to say that they did look impressive last night. The BCS is gonna be one huge mess this year. I think Alabama, Oregon, ND, and possibly Kansas State will go undefeated. I know Alabama will be there in the end but its going to be a controversy for the number two spot. I wish ND would have joined the ACC full time in football, that would have given them more legitimacy. They need to play in a conference championship like the rest.

GO NOLES >>>------>>
Go Noles!!!!!!!!!!
ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Massachusetts Strong!
Posts: 8,466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal1982 View Post
Very impressive win, Go Irish!! I hope the rest of the world learned a lesson tonight.. Don't you ever doubt the Irish again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why does a school named after a French Cathedral have an Irish team name/mascot? I take it that the school is heavily Roman Catholic, but do they have a ditzy geography department or somesuch?
__________________
July '13 - CBR
Mar '13 - PC Aug '12 - PC (Best Trip Ever!)
Aug '10 - PC June '08 - ASMo (school trip)
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
ICF
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,086

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
Why does a school named after a French Cathedral have an Irish team name/mascot? I take it that the school is heavily Roman Catholic, but do they have a ditzy geography department or somesuch?
Are you serious??? I really hope you're just trying to be funny.

It's not named after a french Cathedral. Notre Dame means, "Our Lady" -- i.e. Mary the mother of Jesus.

The school is named after her given her importance in the Catholic Church.
ICF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #9
Irish9697
Mouseketeer
 
Irish9697's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 386

Notre Dame was founded by a young, French Priest Father Sorin hence the French name. He originally named the school L'Universite de Notre Dame du Lac. Basically, the university of our lady of the lake because of the lakes on campus.

The Fighting Irish came from the students who went there - many Irish Catholic Immigrants.

All that being said...GO IRISH!! We will be there next weekend for the Pitt game!!

I'm class of 97 and my kids hope to be class of 2022 & 2023!
__________________
me 39 ds 14 dd 13
4 kitties & 1 awesome dog

4 times before kids...CR & CBR, With kids...3/04 Hyatt Grand Cypress & AKL, 1/05 ASMo & AKL, 10/07 ASMu, 3/09 CBR, 10/09 POFQ & the Wonder, 5/10 Wonder w/ MawMaw, 12/10 Pop, 12/11 Dream w/MawMaw & PawPaw, ASSP 8/12, DL offsite Candy Cane Inn 2/13, CSR 10/13, WL 12/13, AOA 5/14, Fantasy 5/14....plans for Disneyland in 2015 & Magic 12/15...
Irish9697 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
arminnie
Tossed the butter kept the gin
I had to save it for "special" occasions (like when no one I knew would see me)
 
arminnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Arkansas and New Orleans
Posts: 7,429

They looked good yesterday but are going to be killed by the BCS computers no matter the rest of the season as the rest of their opponents are wusses. Even USC has two losses (so far).

Not sure how they would do against Oregon or Bama.
__________________
Fear the tree!
arminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #11
Arsenal1982
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by arminnie View Post
They looked good yesterday but are going to be killed by the BCS computers no matter the rest of the season as the rest of their opponents are wusses. Even USC has two losses (so far).

Not sure how they would do against Oregon or Bama.
Both Wake and Pitt are .500 teams right now, I would hardly consider them "wusses." Additionally, ND has already beaten very difficult teams while others still have to prove themselves (Bama and Oregon). Actually, Bama's schedule thus far has been an outright joke. They haven't even played the best teams in the SEC thus far.. no Georgia, no LSU, no South Carolina, no Florida. That my friends is a JOKE!!!

There is a good chance neither Oregon or Bama will even be there at the end. Bama has to go into Baton Rouge on Saturday night. And Oregon has 3 difficult games left (USC, Stanford, Oregon State).
Arsenal1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #12
Jestocost
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Kirkwood, MO
Posts: 6,946

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenal1982 View Post
both wake and pitt are .500 teams right now, i would hardly consider them "wusses." additionally, nd has already beaten very difficult teams while others still have to prove themselves (bama and oregon). Actually, bama's schedule thus far has been an outright joke. They haven't even played the best teams in the sec thus far.. No georgia, no lsu, no south carolina, no florida. That my friends is a joke!!!

There is a good chance neither oregon or bama will even be there at the end. Bama has to go into baton rouge on saturday night. And oregon has 3 difficult games left (usc, stanford, oregon state).
lol!
__________________
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL



Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #13
wilderness01
Been There, Done That, Going Back!
 
wilderness01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish9697 View Post
Notre Dame was founded by a young, French Priest Father Sorin hence the French name. He originally named the school L'Universite de Notre Dame du Lac. Basically, the university of our lady of the lake because of the lakes on campus.

The Fighting Irish came from the students who went there - many Irish Catholic Immigrants.

All that being said...GO IRISH!! We will be there next weekend for the Pitt game!!

I'm class of 97 and my kids hope to be class of 2022 & 2023!
Spot on correct.

GO IRISH
__________________

Prepare your child for the path, not the path for your child.
wilderness01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:03 AM   #14
ICF
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,086

Quote:
Originally Posted by arminnie View Post
They looked good yesterday but are going to be killed by the BCS computers no matter the rest of the season as the rest of their opponents are wusses. Even USC has two losses (so far).

Not sure how they would do against Oregon or Bama.
As far as the balance of schedules go, lots of bad teams being played....

Alabama plays Western Carolina (1-8) and Auburn (1-7)
LSU plays plays Mississippi (5-3) and Arkansas (3-5)
Kansas State plays TCU (5-3, who's lost 3 of 4) and Baylor (3-4 w/ 4 straight L's)

Oregon has a tough schedule playing USC, tanford & Oregon State - if they win out, they'll have earned their spot in the title game.

ND has one losing record team at this point -- BC, and here's hoping they dont pull a repeat of 1993 when they play ND.
ICF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:42 AM   #15
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Massachusetts Strong!
Posts: 8,466

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICF View Post
Are you serious??? I really hope you're just trying to be funny.

It's not named after a french Cathedral. Notre Dame means, "Our Lady" -- i.e. Mary the mother of Jesus.

The school is named after her given her importance in the Catholic Church.
Not trying to be funny at all , and yes, I was serious. Sorry I'm not all hip on the history of that particular college and how "Our Lady" gets translated into meaning one certain figure in Christian mythology.

Thank you to those that took the time to actually explain the connection between the French history and the Irish immigrants.
__________________
July '13 - CBR
Mar '13 - PC Aug '12 - PC (Best Trip Ever!)
Aug '10 - PC June '08 - ASMo (school trip)
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.