Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #1111
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagfanjosh3252 View Post
If you have AAA, you get a free parking pass if you buy tickets with them. Not only are the tickets cheaper, the parking pass is called Diamond Parking Pass and let's you park around the Handicap area.
For the record... the Diamond pass doesn't give you free parking. You still have to pay the daily parking fee, You are just allowed to park up in the Diamond Parking area which is usually closer to the front of the parking lots. However... there is also the chance that all the diamond parking spots have been filled already and that you'll have to park where they are directing everyone else to park.

I also think places like Undercover Tourist may have cheaper tickets than what you can sometimes get at AAA.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #1112
DuffGT06
Mouseketeer

Thanks all! I think the reason it's come out cheaper for me the past few years was free dining but I'm going to keep this in mind for the future. Unless I come down solo I drive so this could end up making it much more affordable!
WDW 1985, Cabins at FW 1988, Daytrip 2002, Music 2004, Movies 2005, Off-site 2006, Off-site 2007, POP 2007, Off-site 2008, POP Oct 2009, Disneyland June 2010, CS Sept 2010, POP Dec 2011, POP Oct 2012, Disneyland Paris Dec 2012, Sports Oct 2013, POR Dec 2013, POP Feb/Mar 2014, Expedition Everest 5K May 2014, AoA Oct 2014, Enchanted 10K Feb 2015.

DuffGT06 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #1113
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffGT06 View Post
Thanks all! I think the reason it's come out cheaper for me the past few years was free dining but I'm going to keep this in mind for the future. Unless I come down solo I drive so this could end up making it much more affordable!
Heh... someone around here is gonna shot me....

i'm also not a fan of Free Dining.

Look at what you would normally eat... and the potential to maybe grab breakfast offsite on your way into the parks (much cheaper to get a McMuffin at Mcdonalds offsite than something onsite).... And how much that would cost. Now compare that to the cost you are paying for "free dining". Would you REALLY eat 3 big meals per day if you didn't feel the need to get your money's worth from 'Free Dining'? Or would you be more likely to eat a single big meal and a couple mid-sized meals.... or a big meal or 2 and just snack thruought the day?

Even if you do TableService... Is it truly still worth it, or would you get a better bang for your buck (or pay less from eating less) by just ordering what you want? The Tables in Wonderland is also a great way to save some $$$

I'll be honest.... If I still lived in Atlanta, and had a bit more disposable income.... I'd spend a LOT more time in orlando than I do now. With weekend trips, an AP [which would pay for itself], and a TiW card [again, would probably pay for itself in just Alcohol discounts], It would be VERY easy to spend a ton of time at Disney without much $$ outlay. A cheap offisite room... AP to get me into the park and free parking.. TIW to take care of those tableservice discounts. Driving down instead of needing to worry about a round trip flight and car rental... Offsite for other cheap eating... and suddenly spending a ton of time at Disney is VERY easy.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #1114
DuffGT06
Mouseketeer

I totally hear you! I think if it were priced out I would probably spend less on my own but I would limit myself and only do QS to save money. I really like TS restaurants and the FD gives me the mental impression that I'm not spending extra money on it (whether true or not). Plus it makes it easier to rope my friends into going. It seems to be on the downward trend though so I'm sure I'll have to figure something else out soon.

Logistically I could probably make it down to Disney twice a year at most (my best friend and I have decided to travel the world as much as possible so that takes up most of my disposable income). But then again I'll also get to see ALL the Disney's in the next few years which is the only item on my bucket list so I can't complain.
WDW 1985, Cabins at FW 1988, Daytrip 2002, Music 2004, Movies 2005, Off-site 2006, Off-site 2007, POP 2007, Off-site 2008, POP Oct 2009, Disneyland June 2010, CS Sept 2010, POP Dec 2011, POP Oct 2012, Disneyland Paris Dec 2012, Sports Oct 2013, POR Dec 2013, POP Feb/Mar 2014, Expedition Everest 5K May 2014, AoA Oct 2014, Enchanted 10K Feb 2015.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #1115
taramoz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
Heh... someone around here is gonna shot me....

i'm also not a fan of Free Dining.

Look at what you would normally eat... and the potential to maybe grab breakfast offsite on your way into the parks (much cheaper to get a McMuffin at Mcdonalds offsite than something onsite).... And how much that would cost. Now compare that to the cost you are paying for "free dining". Would you REALLY eat 3 big meals per day if you didn't feel the need to get your money's worth from 'Free Dining'? Or would you be more likely to eat a single big meal and a couple mid-sized meals.... or a big meal or 2 and just snack thruought the day?

Even if you do TableService... Is it truly still worth it, or would you get a better bang for your buck (or pay less from eating less) by just ordering what you want? The Tables in Wonderland is also a great way to save some $$$

I'll be honest.... If I still lived in Atlanta, and had a bit more disposable income.... I'd spend a LOT more time in orlando than I do now. With weekend trips, an AP [which would pay for itself], and a TiW card [again, would probably pay for itself in just Alcohol discounts], It would be VERY easy to spend a ton of time at Disney without much $$ outlay. A cheap offisite room... AP to get me into the park and free parking.. TIW to take care of those tableservice discounts. Driving down instead of needing to worry about a round trip flight and car rental... Offsite for other cheap eating... and suddenly spending a ton of time at Disney is VERY easy.
Also not a fan of free dining here! But I see how it works for some, never has worked for me!
Old 05-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #1116
jagfanjosh3252
#1 fan of the Jacksonville Jaguars

I love my TiW card. It's just so amazing. I hardly ever stay on-site since I go so often. So free dining is pretty much never gonna work for me. I can stay off-site, and eat at a Signature a day and still spend less than someone staying on site. It's way better IMO. Even if you have to rent a car.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:57 PM   #1117
MICKEY88
if you keep falling off of the planet...
It might be time for a one piece
100% Male Disney nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
Preaching to the Choir sister. I'm a Condo/Timeshare guy, remember? Even better than what you got.
I'm a condo guy too, my room is free.. even better than what you got.

Pirate Rule #9: A pirate should always remove his hat in the presence of a bartender.
Pirate Rule #11: No pirate shall ever wear a “fanny pack”.
Pirate Rule # 17: Three-cornered hats, headbands and bandanas are the only acceptable headwear for pirates. Fedoras, bowler derbies, baseball caps, MICKEY EARS, top hats, sombreros, or anything with lace and flowers will be removed from the vessel– head included. A grace period of one minute is allowed for hats looted from a tailory.
MICKEY88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #1118
Brocktoon
21st Century Schizoid Man

Saw Iron Man 3 last night ...

For some background, I've been reading comic books since the 80s, and I think Iron Man was some of the 1st stuff I ever fell in love with (probably the old Armor Wars arc). When I heard Shane Black was adapting the 'Extremis' arc for IM3, I couldn't wait ... the Extremis issues are probably some of the best Iron Man stuff of the last decade. So, I really wanted to love IM3 ...

Ehh, it sort of missed the mark. There were a lot of cool ideas, Killian was done well, and some of the action was great. But, it just really didn't all come together in a cohesive way. Without spoilers, there were some plot devices that could potentially hurt the direction of Iron Man in my opinion. Surprisingly I didn't mind the 'twist' at the end, although a ton of comic geeks I talked with today were pretty pissed.

End result ... I thought it was better that Iron Man 2, but fell way short of Iron Man 1. Iron Man 3 wasn't a horrible film, but fell way short of my expectation considering they finally got to adapt both the Mandarin and Extremis for this film. The production team had Iron Man's #1 villain and one of his most popular stories, and this is what we got

Next Trip: Food & Wine Fest: 10/23 - 10/31 2014
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

- Neil Peart
Brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #1119
jagfanjosh3252

I drive down to Disney specfically for the Star Wars Fireworks tonight. I'm such a nerd.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:30 AM   #1120
bettyann29
Heres my contribution for today...
It looks like everyone is trying to divert their eyes elsewhere
I cant eat the ones that are not folded or creased.. Does that make me crazy??

Location: Dallas/ Ft Worth Texas-- Dreaming of one day being closer to the House of the Mouse..

Hello all.. So far it's been a nice weekend.. Weather was gorgeous here in TX.. Saw Iron man 3 last night and enjoyed it-- I thought the first one was better, by far.. But still a nice night out at the movies.. Took advantage of the low 70ish temps and walked around the art festival.. Tomorrow looks like a great day for some yard work! Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend!
bettyann29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:32 AM   #1121
bettyann29
Heres my contribution for today...
It looks like everyone is trying to divert their eyes elsewhere
I cant eat the ones that are not folded or creased.. Does that make me crazy??

Location: Dallas/ Ft Worth Texas-- Dreaming of one day being closer to the House of the Mouse..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagfanjosh3252 View Post
I drive down to Disney specfically for the Star Wars Fireworks tonight. I'm such a nerd.
I'm jealous that you are close enough to do that! I bet it was a sight!
bettyann29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #1122
DuffGT06
Mouseketeer

If you ever decide to stay on property, do you use the room only discount?

Saw Iron Man yesterday and really enjoyed it although there were some plot holes. I tend to let that slide in action movies though. I cannot wait for Star Trek in a few weeks!

Old 05-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #1123
jagfanjosh3252

Yea. When I do stay on property, I use my discount. But I still think its not worth it. I stayed at Pop Century for my birthday in April, it cost me $150 a night. I only stayed one night then went to a local hotel about 10 mins from Disney. I stayed at Marriott Courtyard for $75. It was half the price of Pop, but double the size and even had a balcony.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #1124
ahoff
DIS Veteran

I want to see Iron Man, will have to wait until I return from my business trip this coming Friday. Bt there is a beerfest next Saturday so maybe after that.

And I used the DP a few times when my son traveled with me, but solo it is not worth it. Too much food!
Old 05-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #1125
DefLepard
<3 Disney

With the Iron Man movie talk, I was wondering if anyone was looking forward to seeing Star Trek Into Darkness May 17th ... I am really looking forward to seeing it

Side note: Really looking forward & excited right now for a quick 2 day trip to Walt Disney World tomorrow and Tuesday whoo hoo

I will have a Beer Flight and a Dole Whip with spiced Rum in honor of the Social Club, have a great week everyone

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: