Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2012, 06:57 AM   #31
ctnurse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteanddebbie View Post
It's a little early, but it is Friday....I'll take a nice cold one!!
Just remember it is 5 o'clock somewhere......

Hope everyone has a great weekend and for anyone in the path of Hurricane Sandy please be safe.

ctnurse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:32 AM   #32
Brocktoon
21st Century Schizoid Man

Y'know, I don't want to buy into the Sandy hype, but I am starting to get a little freaked out. Irene tore through our area last year. We were without power for 6 days, and I had never seen flooding like that before. I'm really not looking forward to a repeat. I don't know if my roof will take another storm of that magnitude.

It sounds like they'll have a decent idea of the storm track by Sunday morning.

Next Trip: Food & Wine Fest: 10/23 - 10/31 2014
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

- Neil Peart
Brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #33
beachphotog
Pass me a margarita

Here is where you guys all went!!! I was wondering why the thread was not showing up in my subscription feed as being updated!

Thought you all ran off to have a party without me... now, someone get me a GIANT margarita!!!

Follow me on twitter: @beachphotog
And on Instagram: smk31
beachphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #34
MICKEY88
if you keep falling off of the planet...
It might be time for a one piece
100% Male Disney nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachphotog View Post
Here is where you guys all went!!! I was wondering why the thread was not showing up in my subscription feed as being updated!

Thought you all ran off to have a party without me... now, someone get me a GIANT margarita!!!

Pirate Rule #9: A pirate should always remove his hat in the presence of a bartender.
Pirate Rule #11: No pirate shall ever wear a “fanny pack”.
Pirate Rule # 17: Three-cornered hats, headbands and bandanas are the only acceptable headwear for pirates. Fedoras, bowler derbies, baseball caps, MICKEY EARS, top hats, sombreros, or anything with lace and flowers will be removed from the vessel– head included. A grace period of one minute is allowed for hats looted from a tailory.

Last edited by MICKEY88; 10-26-2012 at 09:45 AM.
MICKEY88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #35
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by taramoz View Post
A nice cold beer here, imagine that
You drink beer?! Really?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctnurse View Post
Just remember it is 5 o'clock somewhere......

Hope everyone has a great weekend and for anyone in the path of Hurricane Sandy please be safe.
Meh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocktoon View Post
Y'know, I don't want to buy into the Sandy hype, but I am starting to get a little freaked out. Irene tore through our area last year. We were without power for 6 days, and I had never seen flooding like that before. I'm really not looking forward to a repeat. I don't know if my roof will take another storm of that magnitude.

It sounds like they'll have a decent idea of the storm track by Sunday morning.
Irene wasn't our probably last year.... It was the one two punch of Irene and the tropical storm that stalled over us last year that resulted in absolutely RIDICULOUS flooding all around this area.

What was more annoying (for me) than the flooding however, was last year's Halloween snowfall. I really don't want to have to deal with another power outage with below freezing temps outside this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachphotog View Post

Sorry about that, I tried to make sure I included the link to help everyone find us. Once you hit that 250 page mark however you better move or risk the thread getting locked before you can organize the move.

Glad you made it over here though! Barkeep! A drink for the Lady!

DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #36
beachphotog
Pass me a margarita

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICKEY88 View Post
That is my kind of drink!! Thanks!

Old 10-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #37
beachphotog
Pass me a margarita

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post

Sorry about that, I tried to make sure I included the link to help everyone find us. Once you hit that 250 page mark however you better move or risk the thread getting locked before you can organize the move.

Glad you made it over here though! Barkeep! A drink for the Lady!

it's ok, I made it over and I have my drink... I'm a happy one!

Old 10-27-2012, 04:51 AM   #38
TheBigE
Change is inevitable, Growth is optional

I figured it was about time to goto and new thread, and nice topic DC!!!

Just back from Spain, weather was nice for two days and then rained HARD for 3 days. I got to see a special showing of the new James Bond film Skyfall last night, good movie. Since my Company has some product placement in the movie, they rented out an entire movie treater last night. Overall, good movie I would recommend it.

I need to prepare because the movers show up on Monday and by the end of next week I will be living in Germany.

Hope the Hurricane/Tropical Storm misses everyone on the east coast.

E
TheBigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #39
Andrew015
WL Guru

Hey strangers! Pour me a tall dark rum and coke, por favor

I've fallen off the radar again, but am really going to try to get back in the saddle for good this time! Seems like I have missed quite a bit over the past few months. I caught a few stories and pics on the old thread from the WDW meet - seems you you guys and gals had a great time! I really would have loved to have been a part of that, but such is life. Here's hoping to make next year's meet.

Life is good here in Cleveland. Finally closed on the new house back in August, am getting deeper into planning for 10 days at VWL in May with family (my first DVC stay), and work has been very busy, but good.

DC - Congrats on the engagement! Hi to some other familiar faces (Tara, Diva, CT Nurse, and of course, our resident Pirate)!
Old 10-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #40
valree
Mouseketeer

I'd also like a margarita if the bartender isn't busy partying it up in Vegas already! Maybe a mango one?

Went Hurricane Sandy shopping late last night at Wal-Mart. It was a combination of everyone buying supplies for the storm and the staff putting Christmas stuff out (already? geez!) that made the store look like the hurricane had come through already. What a mess!
valree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #41
Brocktoon

I've got much of my Sandy prep done. I have above ground power and live behind a wooded area, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose power by Sunday night as we always lose it with high winds. Prepared to be without power for at least a week. It happened with Irene, so this may be worse. Secured loose items around the house perimeter, and also grilled a bunch of meat this afternoon as it'll be easier to store already cooked stuff. Really not much more folks can do around here but see how bad we get hit. If it's worse than Irene, this is going to be a week to remember.

Now just relaxing with some coffee (with some Bailey's and Kalua of course). Going through some of my trip pics, so I'll follow up with a trip post ...

- Neil Peart
Old 10-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #42
DefLepard
<3 Disney

Quote:
I've got much of my Sandy prep done. I have above ground power and live behind a wooded area, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose power by Sunday night as we always lose it with high winds. Prepared to be without power for at least a week. It happened with Irene, so this may be worse. Secured loose items around the house perimeter, and also grilled a bunch of meat this afternoon as it'll be easier to store already cooked stuff. Really not much more folks can do around here but see how bad we get hit. If it's worse than Irene, this is going to be a week to remember.

Now just relaxing with some coffee (with some Bailey's and Kalua of course). Going through some of my trip pics, so I'll follow up with a trip post ...
Hope you don't get a bad Frankenstorm like the news is talking about

Only tips I can give from a South Florida hurricane readiness viewpoint =

Freeze some water in Tupperware to keep freezer and fridge cool when and if power goes out

Fill the gas tank in the car

Get plenty of beer

Or you could always load up the RV and head back to the last week or two of the F&W Festival
Old 10-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #43
ctnurse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew015 View Post
Hey strangers! Pour me a tall dark rum and coke, por favor

I've fallen off the radar again, but am really going to try to get back in the saddle for good this time! Seems like I have missed quite a bit over the past few months. I caught a few stories and pics on the old thread from the WDW meet - seems you you guys and gals had a great time! I really would have loved to have been a part of that, but such is life. Here's hoping to make next year's meet.

Life is good here in Cleveland. Finally closed on the new house back in August, am getting deeper into planning for 10 days at VWL in May with family (my first DVC stay), and work has been very busy, but good.

DC - Congrats on the engagement! Hi to some other familiar faces (Tara, Diva, CT Nurse, and of course, our resident Pirate)!
Welcome back. Sounds like you have been busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valree View Post
I'd also like a margarita if the bartender isn't busy partying it up in Vegas already! Maybe a mango one?

Went Hurricane Sandy shopping late last night at Wal-Mart. It was a combination of everyone buying supplies for the storm and the staff putting Christmas stuff out (already? geez!) that made the store look like the hurricane had come through already. What a mess!
I need a few last minute things. Trying to decide if I am going to brave WM.

Quote:

I'm in the same boat, lots of woods and above ground wires. We were without power with Irene for 7 days. We didn't have water either, we were able to stay with my Dad who had power and water. I am really worried about Sandy too, but there isn't anything we can do but stay safe. I will be stocking up on wine.

ctnurse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #44
Brocktoon

Finally got some time this afternoon to review my 10/11 - 10/18 trip. I've been down to WDW for the F&W Fest almost every year since '06, but this may have been one of the best yet! If there was a theme, it may have been serendipity. We just had so many lucky or fortunate incidents on this trip, that I don't want to get used to that happening all the time. Some of my serendipitous trip wins ...

1) New Fantasyland
Many of my October trips have been going along with my parents. They have an RV that they take down to Ft Wilderness, and then I usually fly down and meet them. I split the trip up doing plenty of solo stuff, but my parents are also a pretty fun pair to hang out with. On Friday 10/12, We headed as group to do rope drop at the MK. By 10:30 AM or so we had already hit all the major rides and I was going to head back to the RV. My Dad wanted to check out the new Storybook Circus area. I was thinking about bailing, but something told me to stick around with them. On the way there we passed the fence/gate/planter area of New Fantasyland which was closed with a line of folks outside. I told my parents that they were probably waiting for the Belle Storytime thing as they've been doing previews. After checking out the Circus area, they were opening the gates towards Belle's area just as we were walking by. A cast member waived us in, but I declined, and told my parents I really had no interest in the Belle story stuff as I'd seen it online. The cast member then told me that I really should go in and take a walk around. I figured what the heck ... so I went in to discover all sorts of WDW execs and the entire area OPEN (except for Be Our Guest). I asked a CM if this was the 1st day open, and he said that we were probably within the 1st 100 folks to see it as it just opened minutes before! How cool is that!? If I would have left before checking out the Circus area like I was going to do, I would have missed it ...

2) Epcot 30th Merch
I'm a huge retro EPCOT fan, and consider myself a child of EPCOT as I grew up visiting the park from the beginning, and it's always been my favorite. I missed the 30th anniversary by a bit, but there was a specific 30th shot glass set I was still hoping to find. On 10/12 on the way to hit the Boardwalk for the DIS meet (already had a few beers in me by this point) I stopped by Mouse Gear in Epcot. As I was checking out the reto gear and some left over 30th merch, I asked a CM about the shot glasses as I didn't see them. The CM mentioned that all the boxes sold out immediately, and there's currently no more stock Since I had a few brews in me, I started up a nice conversation with some folks in the store who may (or may not) have been CMs (I won't confirm or deny in case any potential CM rules were broken). After some talk of my love for old school EPCOT, one of the gals told me that there was a rumor of a few more 'toothpick holder' sets and if found they'll be put up for sale. She took my cell # and said she would text if anything popped up. Sunday 10/14 I got a text early afternoon that some glass sets have appeared. I headed on over to Epcot and got my prize (along with a couple Unibroue Ephemere brews from Canada):

Another case of great timing! By Sunday evening they were all sold out again.

3) Meeting John Lasseter
Yep ... I got to meet the man! When they released the F&W seminar schedule I noticed we were visiting during a Lasseter Family wine tasting hosted by Nancy Lasseter. John and Nancy were also hosting a dinner at Citricos a couple days later. I figured there's a good chance John would also be at the seminar ... and I was right! We got there early and were the 2nd group in line, right in front of the AllEars team. Got a seat right in the front row.

The Lasseter's provided a really nice info package along with some other swag. After the seminar I was able to get them autographed:

4) Meeting DISers
Finally, got to say how great again it was meeting and hanging out with the folks from the DIS. If anybody is on the fence about dropping by during a meet ... just do it! After some 'hair of the dog' Saturday morning, I had a great time at the F&W Fest day on through Jellyrolls. Also had fun Friday night up until a missing time incident that I'll just attribute to alien abduction. For the DISers I met, If you're near Philly on the I-95 corridor, you're always welcome to drop by Casa de Brocktoon!

- Neil Peart
Old 10-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #45
Brocktoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefLepard View Post
Hope you don't get a bad Frankenstorm like the news is talking about

Only tips I can give from a South Florida hurricane readiness viewpoint =

Freeze some water in Tupperware to keep freezer and fridge cool when and if power goes out

Fill the gas tank in the car

Get plenty of beer

Or you could always load up the RV and head back to the last week or two of the F&W Festival
If the storm tracks like the recent GFS model says, the Philly area will be hit by some of the worst wind fields! These houses around here just were never built for that kind of weather. It's gonna be what it's gonna be. My biggest concern right now isn't the extended power loss, but potential wind damage to my property.

- Neil Peart

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: