Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2014, 12:42 AM   #1
mslangen
Mouseketeer

SOLO: Weird check in at Hollywood & Vine

Hi,

Right now I am staying at Walt Disney World. It has been great so far. What I experienced this evening at the Hollywood Studios is just weird. I had a reservation at the Hollywood & Vine. I went to the podium to check in. A lady with Ipad asked for my name. She found of course my name in the system. Of course she told a party of one, but they say that all the time, also weird in my opinion, because one oerson is not a party... But I don't mind that anymore. After that she asked me, and now comes it: are you guys staying on site? Are you guys on the dining plan? Sorry, but does this castmember have just this phrase in her head, or doesn't she lik a solo diner? The worst is that everyone could hear it. The service in the restaurant was good and I enjoyed the food very much, but it was not a good first impression. I know, I will never see those people etc. But feld uneasy though.

Has any of you, solo diners, ever had such an experience?
mslangen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:48 AM   #2
jagfanjosh3252
#1 fan of the Jacksonville Jaguars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslangen View Post
Hi, Right now I am staying at Walt Disney World. It has been great so far. What I experienced this evening at the Hollywood Studios is just weird. I had a reservation at the Hollywood & Vine. I went to the podium to check in. A lady with Ipad asked for my name. She found of course my name in the system. Of course she told a party of one, but they say that all the time, also weird in my opinion, because one oerson is not a party... But I don't mind that anymore. After that she asked me, and now comes it: are you guys staying on site? Are you guys on the dining plan? Sorry, but does this castmember have just this phrase in her head, or doesn't she lik a solo diner? The worst is that everyone could hear it. The service in the restaurant was good and I enjoyed the food very much, but it was not a good first impression. I know, I will never see those people etc. But feld uneasy though. Has any of you, solo diners, ever had such an experience?
I'm surprised you never been asked they before. It's something they asked all the time. It is a way for them to keep track of stats or something I'm sure. Not I've been asked that a lot. Solo or not
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2014, 11:01 PM   #3
mslangen
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagfanjosh3252 View Post
I'm surprised you never been asked they before. It's something they asked all the time. It is a way for them to keep track of stats or something I'm sure. Not I've been asked that a lot. Solo or not
Its not about these questions, its the fact that I was there alone as a solo diner and she asked me where are YOU GUYS staying. She could have asked me instead where are you staying sir or something like that. I mean, there were no other guys besides me.
mslangen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:28 PM   #4
DaisyDuck001
DIS Veteran

This reminds me of a time when I arrived solo at the Disneyland parking lot, and as the parking lot attendant took my payment and gave me a parking permit, he said, "Hi, folks", even though I was the only one in the car. I think he'd been saying it all day and he wasn't even paying attention.
DaisyDuck001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:32 PM   #5
Viva Las Disney
DIS Veteran

Liberty Tree Tavern and Primetime Cafe both called for the "last name" party when my seat was ready. They didn't say party of one or anything like that but I also thought it odd that they referred to me as a party.

I figured it was probably so they weren't announcing to anyone within earshot who is traveling alone.

The calling you "guys" is weird though. I'm guessing it's just a force of habit for that individual CM because I don't think I was ever referred to as a plural other than when they announced my party.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:56 PM   #6
Lyndarella
All my dreams are coming true

I think they repeat so much each day, and don't even hear what they are saying. I dined alone at the Wave in Feb. and the waitress first said, "Hi! How are you doing today?" I answered what a wonderful time I was having. Then she said, "My name is Angela. How are you doing today?" I didn't know what to say so I just mumbled. "fine."
95, 01 - DH, me, and kids, offsite
02 - bought a FL timeshare AND DVC!
02 - May offsite & VWL with DH, + Oct offsite & GF just girls
03 - May offsite & AKL with DH, + Sept BWV 2BR just girls
04 - May offsite & VWL with DH, my birthday!
07 - May offsite with DH
08 - September DH and me at Saratoga Springs
09 - October offsite & Bay Lake Tower, just girls
10 - April offsite with DH, + Oct AKV 2 BR just girls
12 & 13 - three trips on annual pass! BCV, SSR, VWL
14 - February first SOLO trip, OKW and ASMu
Lyndarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:01 PM   #7
MarissaMouse
Earning My Ears

It could also be that she was thinking you might be traveling alone but meeting up with others later. People in my family often travel separately but then dine/explore together.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #8
KEEFy88
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDuck001 View Post
This reminds me of a time when I arrived solo at the Disneyland parking lot, and as the parking lot attendant took my payment and gave me a parking permit, he said, "Hi, folks", even though I was the only one in the car. I think he'd been saying it all day and he wasn't even paying attention.
I can second this.
When i used to work in the food industry it was more of me just following a routine.
KEEFy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:23 AM   #9
Wallaby
Earning My Ears

Don't make it personal. It's most likely "standard operation" routine for them to repeat the same phrase to everyone, no matter what group size it is.
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:36 AM   #10
LaLalovesWDW
DIS Veteran

Ok, that is too funny!! Yes, on my first solo trip there, I just brushed it off as them saying it so much during the day they don't even notice you are alone even when it is a "party of 1" LOL... I do recall the parking thing and the CM saying something like "Welcome home guys!" or something to that effect. I actually looked around my car to make sure there was no one else there......

Fun day trips - 1978 and 1986 * Offsite - 1990 * Offsite - 2002 * CBR - Christmas Week 2004 * CBR - December 2010* AKV - May 2011* WDW Dolphin Dec 2011* *CBR~Aug 2012* *CBR~Aug 2013*SSR ~ Dec 2013* *SSR ~ April/May 2014*

Just Me ,DD , and DK
LaLalovesWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:02 PM   #11
NJDiva
NJDiva Boo Boo

I went to Tusker House for the character breakfast the week of my birthday and the CM at the podeum asked for the typical info, and when she asked how many in my party (btw I made a reservation) and I said 1 she said "awww, that's so sad..." sad????!!! the fact that I got to dine alone without a whiney child in meltdown mode and eat at a normal pace is sad???!!!!
I actually responded back "it's not sad at all, I get to do what I want when I want for as long as I want!" not really sure why she thought it was sad...

NJDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:56 PM   #12
Stefecatzz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDiva View Post
I went to Tusker House for the character breakfast the week of my birthday and the CM at the podeum asked for the typical info, and when she asked how many in my party (btw I made a reservation) and I said 1 she said "awww, that's so sad..." sad????!!! the fact that I got to dine alone without a whiney child in meltdown mode and eat at a normal pace is sad???!!!!
I actually responded back "it's not sad at all, I get to do what I want when I want for as long as I want!" not really sure why she thought it was sad...
I would've emailed WDW Guest Experiences about that. Not to get anyone in trouble, but just for feedback. Another guest may not have taken what they said as lightly as you did. I don't know what my response would be. Maybe a laugh & something along the same lines that you said. But that comment shouldn't be said to any customer, in any type of business when they're alone. Things like this urk me, being in the customer service industry for almost 20 years.
Stefecatzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #13
DaisyDuck001
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefecatzz View Post
I would've emailed WDW Guest Experiences about that. Not to get anyone in trouble, but just for feedback. Another guest may not have taken what they said as lightly as you did. I don't know what my response would be. Maybe a laugh & something along the same lines that you said. But that comment shouldn't be said to any customer, in any type of business when they're alone. Things like this urk me, being in the customer service industry for almost 20 years.
I agree that such comments are insensitive. If the solo diner had already been sad, this comment would have probably made her/him even sadder.
DaisyDuck001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #14
msjessey
Earning My Ears

I am thinking of dining alone one night when i take my daughter to Disney next month and came across this thread. I just read the whole thread and have been literally LOL. Thanks for all those funny stories. A great way to start my morning!
msjessey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #15
WDWGeek1971
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslangen View Post
Its not about these questions, its the fact that I was there alone as a solo diner and she asked me where are YOU GUYS staying. She could have asked me instead where are you staying sir or something like that. I mean, there were no other guys besides me.
Maybe the cast member is from Chicago? It might just be a colloquialism to always use "you guys" or "youse guys" in lieu of the more correct second person, "you." English is becoming a dead language. :-(

First Visit: December 1971
Most Recent Visits: Oct/Nov 2010, Jan 2011, Feb 2011, May 2011, July 2011, Oct 2011, Nov 2011, Dec 2011, Feb 2012, May 2012, Aug 2012, Sept/Oct 2012, Nov 2012, Dec 2012, Mar 2013, Oct/Nov 2013, Dec 2013, Mar 2014, May 2014.
Next Visits: F&W Oct 2014, Dec 2014
WDWGeek1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: