Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
DetroitDisney
DISfanatic

Ending a relationship over Disney

Has anyone ever ended a relationship over love/hate of disney?

I have been dating a girl for about 1.5 years and she doesn't like disney. She can tolerate it but isn't a huge fan. When I floated the idea of annual or twice-annual trips to WDW I was laughed at. She would prefer to go to a beach or walk around some city. I'm actually concerned that this could cause long-term problems, as I don't want to take vacations that I don't like.

Any thoughts?
DetroitDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
DetroitDisney
DISfanatic

Also info from folks that might already be in long-term relationship/marriage with this issue would be helpful. Id like to see how you deal with it.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #3
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

there are several.

most are ladies - it is their husbands who don't appreciate Disney.

the ladies go to Disney - their spouses either don't come - or do other things - golf, tennis, horsebacking riding, boating, etc.

maybe you should let her see what else is at Disney - especially if she likes to shop.

my SIL did not like Disney when they got married. He and the kids changed her mind.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #4
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitDisney View Post
Also info from folks that might already be in long-term relationship/marriage with this issue would be helpful. Id like to see how you deal with it.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #5
Surfinpiratee
DIS Veteran

I think you should bring her to Disney. Have her see all there is to offer.

But yeah..alot of wifes/husbands will just take solo trips, or go with friends.

I say take her and see how she likes it. Visit a beach in Florida while youre there!!

January 3-9, 2014: Port Orleans Riverside/Coronado Springs

Check out my Pre-trip Report! (completed) Our first Disney World trip is just 'a whim away, a whim away'
Trip Report for above PTR here

Next Disney Vacation in the works!
Current PTR: We must return to the magic!
Surfinpiratee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:43 PM   #6
Stumpy
Mouseketeer

I'd say to find out what it is she doesn't like about Disney and see if there is a compromise. She likes the beach, you'd rather hit the parks. What about a couple of days at both places? Or, is it that she thinks Disney is only for kids? If that's the case show her the other side of things like the dining, the night activities, etc. Maybe it's her own ignorance of what's there that is the issue.
Stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #7
DetroitDisney
DISfanatic

I've actually taken her there already. She was excited to go, but now seems like she's over it. More like checking it off the to-do list. She's not super interested to go back, and had already made it seem like a negative. I want to go to disneyland this year for Christmas time, but I don't know how it will go over.

My other issue is that my vacation time is limited based on my job. It's hard to be away for even a week, so it's not like I can take my own weeks off and another set with her.

I feel like we have different religions. I believe in Mickey.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:41 PM   #8
NEDisneyFans
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Has anyone ever ended a relationship over love/hate of disney?

I have been dating a girl for about 1.5 years and she doesn't like disney. She can tolerate it but isn't a huge fan. When I floated the idea of annual or twice-annual trips to WDW I was laughed at. She would prefer to go to a beach or walk around some city. I'm actually concerned that this could cause long-term problems, as I don't want to take vacations that I don't like.

Any thoughts?
Quote:
I've actually taken her there already. She was excited to go, but now seems like she's over it. More like checking it off the to-do list. She's not super interested to go back, and had already made it seem like a negative. I want to go to disneyland this year for Christmas time, but I don't know how it will go over.

I feel like we have different religions. I believe in Mickey.
You actually do know how it will go over -- the fact that she laughed at your suggestion and now "seems like she's over it" gives you the information you need.

Relationships are about compromise. Neither of you want to take vacations you don't like, but have you considered taking a trip that combines what you each enjoy?

Disneyland at Christmas combined with a few days on the California Coast, maybe?

If she continues to laugh at your suggestions, I'd reconsider the relationship -- not because of Disney, per se, but for the lack of respect that represents.

Good luck.

WDW: AKL & BLT 6/14; BWV 3/13; BWV 3/12; BWV 6/10; AKL 6/09; SSR 1/09; POP 2/07, 3/06, 2/05; BWV 5/04
DLR: Good Neighbor 10/11; GCH 4/08
DCL: Magic 10/06 (Disneymoon!)

2014 Reading Goal: 55 Books
NEDisneyFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #9
cjbcam
Mouseketeer

We just got back from our second trip to Disney on Saturday and on the way home my DH said he just didnt like it. It's weird because when we went last March our kids, him and I loved it (that's why we went again last week). For some reason it also felt personal, I know sounds weird. I put so much time and energy putting a trip together I thought everyone would love since they did last time and he didnt like it.
I know most of it was because we only had a day and a half of nice weather but still...
Anyways we have decided to go to Arizona next winter instead to visit my parents and hangout by the pool. We will maybe try disney in a few years again as a family but for now I will have to go with my kids alone or not go.
cjbcam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:03 PM   #10
auralia
DIS Veteran

Has she ever been to disney? if not it is time to plan a trip. My dh HATED disney due to brain washing by his father because his father hated eisner. I begged him to go just once. He had to try it..... that was our late honey moon (had been married 6 months when we had vacation time to go) and he loved it. We now own DVC and have been every year or every other year for the last 6 years. We go again in May ... 10 nights at Old Key West. It will be our first time staying at our home resort despite having done 3 other DVC trips lol.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:54 PM   #11
polishprincess
Earning My Ears

wish me luck, i'm bringing my long term boyfriend to disney for valentines/presidents weekend .. he hasn't been in years and definitely never been with a disney addict so he's a little reluctant but i've actually convinced him to get an annual pass, so hopefully the fact that he will be paying every month will make him want to go more and more!

Instagram: finsfan87

polishprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:25 PM   #12
Mizzgolitely
Mouseketeer

my ex fiancé hated Disney! I took him ONCE and he will never go back. My next boyfriend better be a Disney lover or at least go with me once a year LOL
Mizzgolitely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:39 PM   #13
SM81206
Earning My Ears

I agree with PP i would work on the compromise and if you continually get laughed at... i think there is too much lack of respect. I know all couples are different but i would have a hard time not sharing my passion and love for disney with my SO. Luckily its not an issue for me bc my dh is more obsessive then i am about disney

10-12-05 engagement stayed at wilderness lodge
08-18-06 honeymoon stayed at Port Orleans
12-07-07 through 12-15-07 staying at ALL STAR MOVIES * MVMCP *
6-14-09 through 6-20-09:stayed off site
10-9-2010 through 10-15-2010 we will be there for Mickeys no so scary Halloween, and it will celebrate our 5th engagement anniversary, cant believe its been 5 years that we were there and got engaged!
SM81206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:04 PM   #14
DetroitDisney
DISfanatic

I only recently started to think that it would be a problem. I made my intentions known with regards to the Disneyland vacation later this year. I want to go for a week and spend 4-5 days in the parks, but this seemed to be too much. She thinks it's crazy that I would want more than a day each.

I guess I shouldn't mention that I want to visit Paris and Tokyo in the next 2-3 years to see those parks too, haha.

Needless to say, I'm concerned this will become a greater issue over time.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:37 PM   #15
smidgy
dimples

my husband and I are (luckily) both disney fanatics. we have been 24 times to wdw. that being said, if you want to win her over, I would NOT suggest a trip to Disney land. we went once this last oct and neither of us were fond of it. we both feel like we "crossed if off our list". IF you do go there, sta on property (which would be pricey) we wanted to rent points for grand californian, but those are hard to come by. we stayed close (howard johnsons. walking distance, but SO dif than staying on proerty in WDW .. there you are in your own WDW "bubble" no buses, tons of cars, city like atmosphere.

maybe you could rent points at disney's Vero beach resort, then rent points for either the Boardwalk or Yach and beach club. a few days on the ocean, then a few days at the boardwalk. visit Jelly rolls for the piano bar, visit the espn club. hop into epcot to see the British invasion band and the off kilter band in canada. eat at a couple world showcase restaurants. watch illuminations. take the boat to hollywood studios.

resist the urge to "bombard her" with planning (pretty hard now with fp+) but DO plan a couple nice meals ahead of time.
even tho I LOVE disney, there are other places I wish I could go. but hubby only likes disney. I've never been to vegas, or seen the grand canyon, or been to europe. hubby is lucky I love disney.

maybe you could alternate years. you pick a vacation one year. she picks the nexe. every other year at WDW wouldn't be too bad (you wouldn't be able to make use of APs, tho). but it would seem like a good compromise.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: