Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
mickeyx2
Mouseketeer

Just Back...Any Questions?

We were at WDW from Aug 14-18. Stayed at the Swan. Used tickets from UT, went on the Illuminations cruise, did all big rides at all 4 parks. I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone may have.
mickeyx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

Illuminations cruise info please

We are booked for our 1st cruise for my DD's 16th birthday. I am super excited about this cruise and would love any and all info you can give

May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
heidijanesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
mickeyx2
Mouseketeer

Hi,
This was our 2nd cruise. The first was years ago. It's a bit different now. There are 6 pontoons that go out. (of course, if they are all booked). You meet at the Y&b boat rental. Our driver took us out right at 8 and we cruised up to Hollywood Studios and back around the Boardwalk before we parked at about 8:30 or so past the bridge in Epcot. All 6 pontoons tie up to one another. The Boat next to ours was celebrating a 16th Birthday so all of the boats sang to people.
The view couldn't be beat. Front and center. The driver will have goggles on board in case the wind is blowing the wrong way. We didn't use them at all. Just a bit smokey for a very short period of time. It was a very nice way to end out trip. Our driver dropped us back off at the Boardwalk afterward although I don't think he was suppose to!
I'm sure you will love it!
Old 08-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
bas71873
DIS Veteran

I want to know all about the Swan . We have our first stay there in December in a delux king alcove room. We wanted to be in the Epcot area and we couldn't beat the prices at Swan. How were the food option? Particularly breakfast?

Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
bas71873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Sounds nice, mickey, a fun evening.

bas, check this thread for Swan information......

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2904771

Food is great at S/D. And 20% discount for AAA at the non signature restaurants; signatures accept Tables in Wonderland.

For breakfast...Fresh, Picabu and Garden Grove, all excellent.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net
April 26-May 3, see you there?

Dan Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
mickeyx2
Mouseketeer

Hi,
The Swan was wonderful! We've stayed between the Swan and Dolphin 5 times. I always recommend the Swan. Their service is amazing. We booked 2 connecting rooms and we were upgraded upon arrival to resort view with balcony. You can call housekeeping in the morning and ask for cleaning before a particular time. For instance, we requested cleaning between 8am and noon. Always taken care of.
My husband and myself went with my son, 20, my daughter 15 and her friend. The kids went to Picabu (in the dolphin) each morning for breakfast. Very convienent. They said the food was good too. We ate dinners in either the parks or my husbands favorite, ESPN.
Our choice of hotels is the Epcot resorts. It is so very easy to get to 2 parks!
I know you will Love the Swan!
Old 08-20-2013, 06:06 AM   #7
bas71873
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy View Post
Sounds nice, mickey, a fun evening.

bas, check this thread for Swan information......

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2904771

Food is great at S/D. And 20% discount for AAA at the non signature restaurants; signatures accept Tables in Wonderland.

For breakfast...Fresh, Picabu and Garden Grove, all excellent.

I'm subbed to that thread Dan, thanks. I just get bogged down in a lot of the "stuff" when I get on there. KWIM I'm excited for our first stay at the Swan, but really really nervous about all this FP+ stuff too and getting "left out" since I guess we are considered off site. I'm trying not to stress because we've planned this trip as go with the flow and have picked what appears to be a slow week, but the anal retentive, type A planner in me is struggling.....

Thanks OP for your feedback.

Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Old 08-20-2013, 06:20 AM   #8
ampc3
DIS Veteran

I know the illuminations cruise is pricey .. did you tip the driver as well? Did they provide any drinks or snacks or is that extra to have? Thinking of booking for you next trip

lots of trips as a kid ...
Feb 20-22 2005 Asmov (left little one behind)
June 8-16 2008~POR (first whole family trip)
Sep 18-20 2009~POP~ mommy and DD6 bday trip
June 6-8 2010~POR~ GAD trip with Ds,YDd ,sister and nephew
May 2014 for the twins first trip.. first offsite WBC
ampc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:19 AM   #9
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas71873 View Post
I'm subbed to that thread Dan, thanks. I just get bogged down in a lot of the "stuff" when I get on there. KWIM I'm excited for our first stay at the Swan, but really really nervous about all this FP+ stuff too and getting "left out" since I guess we are considered off site. I'm trying not to stress because we've planned this trip as go with the flow and have picked what appears to be a slow week, but the anal retentive, type A planner in me is struggling.....

Thanks OP for your feedback.
Now why did I not recall your name there?

I would say that S/D would not be included in the testing process (a good thing in my opinion), but would do FP+ when the bugs are worked out and fully operational. S/D is not considered off site, just giving up a few incidentals of a Disney owned resort, but gaining so many more in exchange.

For amp, tipping is normal for cruises, 15-20%, like dining. Pop/soda, water, chips, pretzels are included in price. Additional items (cakes, etc) would need to be ordered from the dining at the cruise resort.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net
April 26-May 3, see you there?

Dan Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #10
mickeyx2
Mouseketeer

Good Morning,
Yes, the cruise was just under 350.00, but it really does give you an amazing view. I did forget to mention that it was raining when we were to meet at the dock at 8:00. We were given the choice of whether to go out or not. By the time we parked under the bridge the rain had stopped. Our driver put up the canopy (as did all of the other drivers) so we never got wet at all.
The snacks were just as the poster above described. Just very basic.
Yes, we tipped the driver at the end of the cruise.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #11
bas71873
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy View Post
I would say that S/D would not be included in the testing process (a good thing in my opinion), but would do FP+ when the bugs are worked out and fully operational. S/D is not considered off site, just giving up a few incidentals of a Disney owned resort, but gaining so many more in exchange.

I'm hoping those "bugs" and "fully operational" don't happen until AFTER my trip . I really can't see WDW wanting this fully up and running during the busiest time of the year, but then, crazier things have happened. I just see nightmarish glitches happening when hundreds of thousands of people converge on Disney between Cmas & New Years. I'm hoping for calm & easy going during the first week. I've promised the family no Sgt. Mom for this trip. We'll still do rope drops, we are just that kind of early rising family, but we aren't tied to ADRs everyday and we have a loose plan of things we want to do

Old 08-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #12
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyx2 View Post
Hi,
This was our 2nd cruise. The first was years ago. It's a bit different now. There are 6 pontoons that go out. (of course, if they are all booked). You meet at the Y&b boat rental. Our driver took us out right at 8 and we cruised up to Hollywood Studios and back around the Boardwalk before we parked at about 8:30 or so past the bridge in Epcot. All 6 pontoons tie up to one another. The Boat next to ours was celebrating a 16th Birthday so all of the boats sang to people.
The view couldn't be beat. Front and center. The driver will have goggles on board in case the wind is blowing the wrong way. We didn't use them at all. Just a bit smokey for a very short period of time. It was a very nice way to end out trip. Our driver dropped us back off at the Boardwalk afterward although I don't think he was suppose to!
I'm sure you will love it!
Thanks for all the info. We are going to eat at Cape May's prior and then just hang around the BC/YC area before we meet at the YC pier. It's a surprise for DD, we are super excited!

May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
heidijanesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #13
Brian_WDW74
Theme Parks Co-Moderator
Oh, I'm detecting nuttiness.

DISboards Moderator

Per the Looking for the Live Report and Just Back Threads? sticky thread, I have moved this to the Disney Trip Reports forum.

Brian_WDW74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: