Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
ValiantHeart
Mouseketeer

Very Quick Question..

Alright, so I applied for the Spring Advantage program.. However, I just found out about a two-week cruise for my grandmother's birthday that is happening this summer that I can't miss.

I've been pended, is there any possible way I can switch being considered for SA to JUST being considered for Spring? I don't want to have to turn this opportunity down if I get accepted, but if I get accepted for SA, I will have to because my dad (and grandmother!) will never forgive me if I miss this birthday celebration.
ValiantHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
lidepi
Earning My Ears

You can contact your recruiter, or email wdw.college.recruiting@disney.com.

Did you only apply for SA or regular Spring as well? Either way it's worth asking them!
lidepi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
ValiantHeart
Mouseketeer

I told them I would do either. But thank you for the email, I will try emailing them today! <3
Old 10-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
lidepi
Earning My Ears

I definitely think it helps that you have signed up for both, so don't stress too much! Maybe you'll even get regular spring without asking
lidepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
ValiantHeart
Mouseketeer

They emailed back and apparently, once interviews have been conducted, preferences can't be changed :/

Man, I hope this works out...

WDW DCP Alumnus - Merchandise - DAK Discovery Island

The opinions expressed in this post do not reflect the opinions of the Walt Disney company or any affiliates.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran

One of my dd's CP friends was given three weeks off in June for a family reunion/vacation. So it's possible to get the time off, but obviously there are no guarantees you will be given it. Also sometimes they will tell you right away if you get the time off you requested, but sometimes they don't tell you if you're getting the time off until the week before.

My dd is in that boat too, because she chose to stay through August and we have a family reunion cruise going on for our 30th anniversary in June. She may have to miss the cruise. That's the way it goes. We certainly won't be mad at her about it.
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
ValiantHeart
Mouseketeer

Oh wow, I didn't know you could request that much time off! That could be an option.. What is the usual end date in August for Spring Advantage?
Old 10-26-2012, 11:58 PM   #8
NHSchool2012
DCP Alumni -- Earned my Ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiantHeart View Post
Alright, so I applied for the Spring Advantage program.. However, I just found out about a two-week cruise for my grandmother's birthday that is happening this summer that I can't miss.

I've been pended, is there any possible way I can switch being considered for SA to JUST being considered for Spring? I don't want to have to turn this opportunity down if I get accepted, but if I get accepted for SA, I will have to because my dad (and grandmother!) will never forgive me if I miss this birthday celebration.
I have a similar problem that I thought of, so hopefully someone will be able to answer my question as well!

When I applied for the program, I wasn't thinking far in advance, and I realized today that since I'm Spring Advantage, I'll miss my sister's high school graduation. Do you think it's possible that if I give my manager a week's-two week's notice, they'll give me a couple of days off to fly home for that and then turn around and come back? I'll hopefully have a car in Florida, so I was thinking I would fly home the morning of the graduation and land in time to get a car to take me to the high school for the ceremony, stay the night, and then fly back and drive to my apartment from the airport.

I'm sure if it isn't possible, nobody would be too upset, but I would feel really bad if I missed it. Even if I have to fly home early morning the day of, and then fly back late at night the same day to be back in time, I would do it.
NHSchool2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:14 AM   #9
ladypage
And that's how the story about me sleeping with the entire Polish national basketball team started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtototoo View Post
One of my dd's CP friends was given three weeks off in June for a family reunion/vacation. So it's possible to get the time off, but obviously there are no guarantees you will be given it. Also sometimes they will tell you right away if you get the time off you requested, but sometimes they don't tell you if you're getting the time off until the week before.

My dd is in that boat too, because she chose to stay through August and we have a family reunion cruise going on for our 30th anniversary in June. She may have to miss the cruise. That's the way it goes. We certainly won't be mad at her about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiantHeart View Post
Oh wow, I didn't know you could request that much time off! That could be an option.. What is the usual end date in August for Spring Advantage?
Be really careful with this, as you ca only request 12 days off (in a row) before termination. This doesn't include normal days off, so you could technically have 18ish (?) days off if you were really lucky, but that's pretty rare. One of my friends took off 13 days to visit her family, and she was late to clock in on her first day back. My managers had me call her, and tell her she had to come in or she would be termed. Thankfully her bus was just late, and we had managers that cared enough to check with her.

Former Epcot CM

PROUD MEMBER OF
GIRAFFE WATCH 2012

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009176
ladypage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:18 AM   #10
ladypage
And that's how the story about me sleeping with the entire Polish national basketball team started

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHSchool2012 View Post
I have a similar problem that I thought of, so hopefully someone will be able to answer my question as well!

When I applied for the program, I wasn't thinking far in advance, and I realized today that since I'm Spring Advantage, I'll miss my sister's high school graduation. Do you think it's possible that if I give my manager a week's-two week's notice, they'll give me a couple of days off to fly home for that and then turn around and come back? I'll hopefully have a car in Florida, so I was thinking I would fly home the morning of the graduation and land in time to get a car to take me to the high school for the ceremony, stay the night, and then fly back and drive to my apartment from the airport.

I'm sure if it isn't possible, nobody would be too upset, but I would feel really bad if I missed it. Even if I have to fly home early morning the day of, and then fly back late at night the same day to be back in time, I would do it.
As soon as you get your perner, you can request days off. Do it ASAP, and you have a much higher chance of getting it off.

Former Epcot CM

PROUD MEMBER OF
GIRAFFE WATCH 2012

Old 10-27-2012, 06:43 AM   #11
progroupie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypage View Post
Be really careful with this, as you ca only request 12 days off (in a row) before termination. This doesn't include normal days off, so you could technically have 18ish (?) days off if you were really lucky, but that's pretty rare. One of my friends took off 13 days to visit her family, and she was late to clock in on her first day back. My managers had me call her, and tell her she had to come in or she would be termed. Thankfully her bus was just late, and we had managers that cared enough to check with her.
Lots of false info in this post. If days off are approved they're approved. You will not be termed for being late or even missing a scheduled shift after a vacation. You have to miss 3 consecutive scheduled shifts without calling to be termed. Also managers would never rely on a CM to inform another CM that they have to show up or be termed. Sounds like they wanted to scare her and used you to do so.
progroupie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #12
ladypage

Quote:
Originally Posted by progroupie View Post
Lots of false info in this post. If days off are approved they're approved. You will not be termed for being late or even missing a scheduled shift after a vacation. You have to miss 3 consecutive scheduled shifts without calling to be termed. Also managers would never rely on a CM to inform another CM that they have to show up or be termed. Sounds like they wanted to scare her and used you to do so.
You can think what you want, but I only know my experience, and I certainly wasn't the only one. The rules on the CP are strict, and attendance is within those rules. The manager who had me call her was a friend of ours, it wasn't me informing her that she would be termed. It was me checking to make sure she was coming in.

Again, this was just my experience. Maybe it has changed since either you or I did the CP. But this was how it happened when I was there.

Former Epcot CM

PROUD MEMBER OF
GIRAFFE WATCH 2012

Old 11-14-2012, 08:52 AM   #13
MinnieMeaghan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypage

As soon as you get your perner, you can request days off. Do it ASAP, and you have a much higher chance of getting it off.
Definitely! If you are approved for the time off, great! You can also try and get people to cover/switch any extra shifts that they don't give you off. Good luck!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: