Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Strollers, DCL,WDW day conundrum

So I know the ships have jogging strollers you can borrow (with deposit) for use in port. As we're booked on an 8 night from Galveston with a WDW day as one of the ports, can we use the strollers at WDW? Is it worth the hassle?
As kids will be 4 and 6, they never use one at home so I'm kind of torn as to whether it'll be worth the hassle, especially given we may not have any one in it until after lunch time. but if we end up renting in MK, I'm fairly certain that costs something?
Thoughts?
(Yes it will be my first time bringing my kiddos to the world, so I'm clueless and appreciate any pointers.)
We plan to stay the whole day (hopefully to fireworks) in Magic Kingdom, if that makes any difference.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
Woodmnky
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure about the answer to using a ship's stroller on shore, so I will leave that to someone else.
I would guess that if you are trying to do WDW all day, you will likely end up needing something for your kids. Yes, it does cost to rent a stroller at WDW but it may be worth it. If the WDW stroller is taken then you can show your ticket and get a new one. Not sure what would happen if something happened to the ship's stroller. Also since your kids are older they will likely spend most of the day outside of the stroller and I don't know if you want to be responsible for a stroller (to & from the port) all day just for that little bit of time.
There is more info about stroller rental at WDW here: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gue...oller-rentals/
Woodmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodmnky
I'm not sure about the answer to using a ship's stroller on shore, so I will leave that to someone else.
I would guess that if you are trying to do WDW all day, you will likely end up needing something for your kids. Yes, it does cost to rent a stroller at WDW but it may be worth it. If the WDW stroller is taken then you can show your ticket and get a new one. Not sure what would happen if something happened to the ship's stroller. Also since your kids are older they will likely spend most of the day outside of the stroller and I don't know if you want to be responsible for a stroller (to & from the port) all day just for that little bit of time.
There is more info about stroller rental at WDW here: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gue...oller-rentals/
The $200 deposit on the ship stroller really gives me pause.
Especially given how often you leave them sitting around at WDW.
Thanks I'll check the link.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Old 10-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
tajz90
Mama D

We have had our stroller stolen twice (or misplaced by someone else) at WDW so I'd take that into consideration.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
SnipsNSnails
DIS Veteran

My kids will be almost 4 and 6 and we're doing the same, Galveston w/ WDW one day. We are driving so we are going to bring two umbrella strollers with us. If you are planning on being there from open to close, they will probably need something to rest in. The strollers probably won't be used except for that one day for us but I think they are worth it. The problem with renting in the park is they are not super comfortable and you don't have them between the park entrance and the bus which can be a good walk in some of the parks, not fun when you are exhausted too and you are both carrying sleeping or worn out children. There will be lots of people who disagree but I think you are better off with at least one stroller so they can switch off or for your youngest. I debated on a stroller for my 6 year old but we decided that it was better to have it than not and want it. Since we are driving it's not that much room to put in the extra stroller.

7/1996 - CBR, 12/1998 - BC, 12/2008 - Pop DDP, 9/2011 - CBR DDP, 2/2013 - DCL Magic, 6/2013 - DL BWPPI
4 Generations Do WDW - Sept 2011 Trip Report
SnipsNSnails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Definitely plan on using a stroller at WDW! When the kids were 4 & 6 there is no way we would have made it through the day without them. They took their naps in the stroller and after the fireworks [and sometimes before them] they could fall asleep comfortably and be pushed around afterwards while we did a few more rides swapping kids or even to the entrance of the park. One of the double strollers will work well for two kids that age. Honestly, we had the kids in the strollers most of the day then. There is a lot of walking and that tires adults out and makes them cranky. IMO better for the kids to be rested and enjoying their day than tired from all that walking...or your back aching from carrying them a lot.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
tobikaye
DIS Veteran

What are your plans for WDW? 1 park or park hopping? Are you planning table service restaurants? Some of this would help in determining if you need the strollers or not. If you are going to be doing things that will give you a good rest, then I would think you might be able to get by without them.

Rates for stroller rentals at WDW:
•$15.00 USD per day for a single-passenger stroller
•$31.00 USD per day for a double-passenger stroller

It might be worth starting the morning without strollers and see how they do. Then if the you are only half way through the day and the kids are lagging then you can see if there is an available stroller to rent.

Also, if you decide to park hop, you can just get a new stroller at the next park by showing your receipt and I think name card, if it is similar to WC rentals.

When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do - Walt Disney
tobikaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #8
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Definitely need a stroller at WDW for those ages......there is a charge to rent at WDW but I think I would rent there instead of bringing the ship's due to the $200 deposit. If your WDW rental stroller is taken at WDW they will replace it for free in the park but if the ship's is stolen you are out $200. The daily rental for strollers at WDW is $15 for a single, $31 for a double.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gue...oller-rentals/

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #9
wl1117
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajz90 View Post
We have had our stroller stolen twice (or misplaced by someone else) at WDW so I'd take that into consideration.
Wow! You have bad luck! We've taken our stroller to WDW and DL probably 12 times and never had any issue with it. Sorry about that happening to you.

6th DCL cruise -Magic - May 2, 2014
wl1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #10
kcashner
DIS Veteran

My problem would be the $200 deposit that you'd lose if someone stole your stroller at WDW. People seem to take the wrong stroller all the time, even though they have a name tag on them. As above, if someone mis-appropriates your WDW stroller at the parks, you just show your receipt and get a replacement. If they take your cruise stroller, that just cost you a small bundle!

At 4, yeah, you'll need a stroller in the parks. 6...maybe, maybe not.

The other point is that the ship's strollers are really intended/sized for babies, while the rentals in the parks are far more "child sized." Your kids will be more comfortable in the bigger strollers.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #11
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1117

Wow! You have bad luck! We've taken our stroller to WDW and DL probably 12 times and never had any issue with it. Sorry about that happening to you.
Well it was over a large period of time and they were both on their last legs so no biggie! Easier to tell the kids they had to start walking!!!!

Disney did give us a free stroller rental for one of the incidents.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #12
neg58
DIS Veteran

In the overall scheme of things, $15 is not that much and it is so much easier to just get the stroller at the park and not worry about it. If you can't find it, just get another! (just show receipt and they'll give you another). Taking the train around? Leave it and get another!

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #13
justhat
DC DISer
pick one night and stay up later for Wishes

I've also never had a stroller taken in about 15 trips to WDW plus about 8 to DL over the past 8.5 years of using a stroller.

That said, for 1 park day, I wouldn't bother. Your kids will have plenty of rest time on the ship, they'll be fine for the one day. You'll have to stop and eat twice, they'll get chances to sit. Also, you can add in attractions like the TTA, Hall of Presidents, etc. when the kids want to sit for awhile.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #14
Kimmiebr80
Mouseketeer

I think it really depends on the kids. At 4.5 year old my twin girls walked all the Disney parks with us for the first 6 days . We didn't rent a stroller until the 7th day! I think I'd chance it and just rent one if needed. Or have them take a nap in the hall of presidents like we did
Kimmiebr80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #15
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmiebr80
I think it really depends on the kids. At 4.5 year old my twin girls walked all the Disney parks with us for the first 6 days . We didn't rent a stroller until the 7th day! I think I'd chance it and just rent one if needed. Or have them take a nap in the hall of presidents like we did
But who will wake me up?
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: