Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #16
bom_noite
DVC-Trivia Contest - April, 2006: 3rd Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganR View Post
Y'all don't have to be jerks about it! I was simply asking a question regarding what my mother had told me :'-(
I promise not to be a Jerk! In this economy - business are sitting on their cash - it is too speculative to build another park. In fact Disney has said publicly to Wall Street and it's investors - it is going to try and steer clear of huge capital expenditures for a few years.

Despite that - there are new Park projects all over the place. I truly believe the thinking for WDW is to invest in the smaller projects: New Fantasyland, Carsland / Revamp of the Studios, Cameron's Blue People land at AK (Sacrilege - let's hope that is killed!).

These smaller projects would not have the impact of a new park - but - they still drive a large amount of business away from Sea World and Universal and in to Lake Buena Vista. I am GEEKED to go back to the MK this December to walk around the new Fantasyland!

Smaller projects like this still involve a massive investment in the 100's of Millions. But, they also generate instant results in additional attendance. On the other hand, a new park would cost 3 to 5 Billion to build. If my facts are correct: Animal Kingdom cost 1.35 Billion (I believe) to build in '98. I believe and another 300 to 500 Million on Everest. Add inflation - easily 3 to 5 Billion for any new park.

Morgan, in my very humble opinion I don't think Disney wants to throw 3 to 5 Billion out in FLA until they have a better feeling about the economy. The strategy is to build elsewhere and add smaller add-on's at WDW to provide reasons to spend money to come back. I think the big money will be spent on new parks in India / China / etc.

Last edited by bom_noite; 10-18-2012 at 08:58 AM.
bom_noite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #17
Birdman1511
Don't listen to that guy. He's trying to lead you down the path of righteousness. I'm gonna lead you down the path that *rocks*.

Quote:
Y'all don't have to be jerks about it! I was simply asking a question regarding what my mother had told me :'-(
Unfortunately, you're gonna see a few jerks here and there on these boards. Its pretty bad that you can't even ask a simple, innocent question without it being thrown back in your face right? These are the ones that think they know EVERYTHING about Disney and get their daily fix by making fun of people who ask questions they already know the answer to..but hey, its like i said, only a few of those are on these boards. the rest of us are humble and friendly

1990-Offiste1992-Dixie Landings1994-Polynesian1996-Grand Floridian1998-Grand Floridian2001-All Star Movies2005-Polynesian 2007-Officially moved in with the mouse!! 2009-CBR
May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face. And may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars
Birdman1511 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #18
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So I have herd from multiple people and my. Mom that they are going to ba making a NEW park, all with big thrill rides :-O
Is this true??
This rumor has come up many times over the years and there is no truth to it. There were plans to build a thrill park in Orlando (not a Disney project) but I believe that has fallen through.
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #19
MorganR
Bambi's #1 fan

I guess "Jerk" wasn't the right word....I ment it as "sertant" people were being a little TOO sarcastic.....
DMom(Shannon) DDad(Rick)
DBrother(Mitchell) DSister(Melissa)
MorganR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #20
MorganR
Bambi's #1 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman1511

Unfortunately, you're gonna see a few jerks here and there on these boards. Its pretty bad that you can't even ask a simple, innocent question without it being thrown back in your face right? These are the ones that think they know EVERYTHING about Disney and get their daily fix by making fun of people who ask questions they already know the answer to..but hey, its like i said, only a few of those are on these boards. the rest of us are humble and friendly

Thank u! I appritiate u sticking up for me
DMom(Shannon) DDad(Rick)
DBrother(Mitchell) DSister(Melissa)
MorganR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #21
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

If they include thrill rides in a new park, I hope they will also include rides for older people that are tame. I avoid anything that looks like a coaster, and I cannot do moving walkways.

I would love to see things without moving walkways more than anything else. It is not funny when you are made to feel like an idiot because your balance is bad. A CM told us that they COULD stop the belt in the Nemo ride. When we got to the front, they slowed it down - but could not stop it. There is a big difference when a walkway is solidly stopped, and when it is still moving.

The CM made me feel stupid as she "poked fun at me" when we had to leave. She kept taunting that it was the same as stopped. I had just had brain stem & spinal cord surgery. Almost stopped is NOT the same. A section of rides without physical blockades would be great! (The wheelchair car was not in service that day, so there was no alternative.)
Old 10-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #22
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganR
I guess "Jerk" wasn't the right word....I ment it as "sertant" people were being a little TOO sarcastic.....
I certainly didn't mean to come across as one.

I will say I don't think Disney will ever build another park in Florida. There is nothing to be gained financially from it.

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #23
Disneyfreak44
Mouseketeer

Nope no new park planned for right now but I hope that changes soon!
Most recent trip was to Walt Disney World we stayed at Caribbean beach and got to experience mymagic+ and the Magic Bands and it was awesome!
Disneyfreak44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #24
TowMater92
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMcBride View Post
I certainly didn't mean to come across as one.

I will say I don't think Disney will ever build another park in Florida. There is nothing to be gained financially from it.
While I don't think Disney will build a new park in Florida for years there is financial gain to be had. If Disney was to build a park made of mostly thrill rides with there Disney Characters and the Marvel Characters(if they can ever get the right back from Universal) they would appeal more to families with boys/teenagers and young adults that don't have children. Just because some people love Disney the way it is doesn't mean everyone does and it doesn't mean that people that love disney wouldn't love a thrill ride Disney park. A lot of people see Disney Parks and thing they are more for families with young children.
TowMater92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #25
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowMater92 View Post
While I don't think Disney will build a new park in Florida for years there is financial gain to be had. If Disney was to build a park made of mostly thrill rides with there Disney Characters and the Marvel Characters(if they can ever get the right back from Universal) they would appeal more to families with boys/teenagers and young adults that don't have children. Just because some people love Disney the way it is doesn't mean everyone does and it doesn't mean that people that love disney wouldn't love a thrill ride Disney park. A lot of people see Disney Parks and thing they are more for families with young children.
The average family takes 1 week vacation. The 4 parks and 2 water parks eat up that week. A new park will not bring a significant number of people to Florida. It will just redistibute the people there. It is not and likely will never be financially smart to build a 5th park

There is a lot more gain in adding to the newer parks DHS and DAK to increase local/single day people and have more time spent there for shopping and eating

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:10 PM   #26
ASteelersMidget
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They can get the right's back at any time they want. They just don't want too. It's easy money for them.

Past that the 5th park is not financially feasible for AT LEAST 25 years. As many have pointed out already building another park in Florida will only re-distribute profits not increase them.

"The same thing we try to every night Ferb!

Try to take over the world!!!!"

The Phineas, the Phineas and the Ferb, Ferb, Ferb, Ferb, Ferb.

ASteelersMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:56 PM   #27
TowMater92
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASteelersMidget View Post
They can get the right's back at any time they want. They just don't want too. It's easy money for them.

Past that the 5th park is not financially feasible for AT LEAST 25 years. As many have pointed out already building another park in Florida will only re-distribute profits not increase them.
No they can't get back the rights anytime they want to Universal has a contract for Marvel. Unless Universal decides to re-theme those rides because it doesn't want to give Disney money or Disney makes a large offer to buy out the contract with Universal there will be no change. As long as Universal keeps up there end of the contract Disney can't use the Marvel characters.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #28
TowMater92
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMcBride View Post
The average family takes 1 week vacation. The 4 parks and 2 water parks eat up that week. A new park will not bring a significant number of people to Florida. It will just redistibute the people there. It is not and likely will never be financially smart to build a 5th park

There is a lot more gain in adding to the newer parks DHS and DAK to increase local/single day people and have more time spent there for shopping and eating
Wrong I guess you didn't read the point I made that Disney doesn't appeal to all families with boys/teenagers or young adults. Just because you or I like the rides Disney has now it doesn't mean everyone does. Also yes there are four parks and two water parks. The water parks are not both open year round and it does get cold in Florida. Also if I had to put a number on how many families go to the water parks that go to Disney I would put it around 30%. Yes there are four parks but do they reach capacity during certain times of the year? Yes they do. Like I said I don't see it happening soon but I can see it happening. Also the number of people that go to Disney has gone up over the years. Far less people went in the 80's then more in the 90's and its still growing.

Will they expand other parks for now? Yes, why wouldn't they but when they can try to appeal to more people they will eventually do it. Its like any other business, take ice cream is there 1 flavor? No, they have many so they appeal to more people so they can make more money and they keep adding new flavors so there is a new product to get people to keep buying.

So with the fact that Disney doesn't appeal to everyone(boys/teenagers/young adults), Parks reach capacity now, more and more people go to WDW, people want new things when they are on vacation there is a chance Disney will add another park in the future.

Also your statement about the average American family take 1 week vacation doesn't fit in this scenario since WDW is a place people take vacations to more then once, they need to add things so people will want to come back year after year. We're taking a 4 year break after going 15 times in 18 years, the more they have the less chance you'll be burnt out on Disney.

Last edited by TowMater92; 10-19-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #29
ASteelersMidget
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No they can't get back the rights anytime they want to Universal has a contract for Marvel. Unless Universal decides to re-theme those rides because it doesn't want to give Disney money or Disney makes a large offer to buy out the contract with Universal there will be no change. As long as Universal keeps up there end of the contract Disney can't use the Marvel characters.
...You just said that they can buy the contracts...

If they can buy the contracts than they can get them back any time they want. Thank you for proving my point. Also that's only east of the Mississippi they can't use the characters.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:05 AM   #30
ASteelersMidget
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wrong I guess you didn't read the point I made that Disney doesn't appeal to all families with boys/teenagers or young adults. Just because you or I like the rides Disney has now it doesn't mean everyone does. Also yes there are four parks and two water parks. The water parks are not both open year round and it does get cold in Florida. Also if I had to put a number on how many families go to the water parks that go to Disney I would put it around 30%. Yes there are four parks but do they reach capacity during certain times of the year? Yes they do. Like I said I don't see it happening soon but I can see it happening. Also the number of people that go to Disney has gone up over the years. Far less people went in the 80's then more in the 90's and its still growing.

Will they expand other parks for now? Yes, why wouldn't they but when they can try to appeal to more people they will eventually do it. Its like any other business, take ice cream is there 1 flavor? No, they have many so they appeal to more people so they can make more money and they keep adding new flavors so there is a new product to get people to keep buying.

So with the fact that Disney doesn't appeal to everyone(boys/teenagers/young adults), Parks reach capacity now, more and more people go to WDW, people want new things when they are on vacation there is a chance Disney will add another park in the future.

Also your statement about the average American family take 1 week vacation doesn't fit in this scenario since WDW is a place people take vacations to more then once, they need to add things so people will want to come back year after year. We're taking a 4 year break after going 15 times in 18 years, the more they have the less chance you'll be burnt out on Disney.
Again that's not completely true. I'm part of many theme park boards where the majority of members are between the ages of 15-25. They GUSH over Disney. It will re-distribute the people and not add enough additional income to make it worthwhile. Not to mention Disney is struggling to maintain the current parks at WDW

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: