Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
crazy4wdw
DIS Veteran

Universal seeks rights to Lord of the Rings Attractions

It's rumored that Universal is in negotiations with the Tolkein family to secure the rights to the Lord of Rings with the intention of developing theme park attractions based on the books.

If this is true, it will be interesting to see if there's any action from Disney in terms of putting more steel and concrete in WDW.

crazy4wdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
mbrou24
Theme Park Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4wdw
It's rumored that Universal is in negotiations with the Tolkein family to secure the rights to the Lord of Rings with the intention of developing theme park attractions based on the books.

If this is true, it will be interesting to see if there's any action from Disney in terms of putting more steel and concrete in WDW.
If this becomes solid it will be interesting to see how quickly the dwarf coast gets done
mbrou24 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
jamarmiller
Mouseketeer

hope this goes through and it pushes disney to do more. I keep hoping for a Star Wars Land and a Cars Land to be placed in Hollywood studios !
jamarmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrou24 View Post
If this becomes solid it will be interesting to see how quickly the dwarf coast gets done
LOL...that could be pretty awesome...
Old 01-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
mrsR123
Mad about the mouse
Teacher, teacher, can you teach me?

It would take lots and lots of capital, and vision to do it well. With any luck at all, anyone starting on it would benefit both WDW and Universal simply through competition and the raising of the bar.
mrsR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
Kronk N Tink
Found Nemo

With Tolkiens legendary hate for Disney and Jacksons previous success working with Universal wouldn't be surprised to see this happen.

Harry Potter merely made me curious.... this would get me definately back to Universal for the first time in 20 years.

Feb 2013 CBR
Nemo's First Trip Feb 2012 ASMo
Kronk and Tink's first trip together Oct 2008 POFQ
Kronk has stayed many many times (somewhere between 15-20) At FW
Kronk N Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
TheRustyScupper
GKTW coordinator. Kiwanis and SCORE Volunteer. Make-A-Wish board. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty good sailing captain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4wdw View Post
It's rumored that Universal is in negotiations with the Tolkein family to secure the rights to the Lord of Rings with the intention of developing theme park attractions based on the books . . .
1) Like Harry Potter, Universal would do a smashing good job !
2) It wouldn't make Universal bigger than Disney.
3) But, like Potter, would siphon a considerable amount of business from WDW.
TheRustyScupper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
Tarheel girl 1975
Supposed Former Fastpass Hoarder

We are already planning on checking out Uni and HP once the kids are older, but a LOTR area would make it a must do for me!
Previous Trips: 1990 Disneyland Hotel, 1991 Magic Music Days, 1996 Magic Music Days, Oct 2008 POP, May 2009 Poly, Sept. 2009 BWI, January 2011 CBR, Sept/Oct 2012 POR, Sept/Oct 2013 Beach Club Upcoming Trips: Sept/Oct 2014 POFQ and YC
Tarheel girl 1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
disneyworld1977
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4wdw View Post

With the the Lucasfilm acquisition, Marvel (limited of course) and all the other things they have a hold on, Disney I think has alot at their disposal to do some big things at WDW (and other parks) Unfortunately, it takes time. And sometimes that's a good thing. Although we all want to see it now, let's hope they take that time to get it right in whatever they are planning to do with regards to HS, AK, etc.
*DL* Offsite - 2000, 2003, 2005, 2011, SEPT 2013!! *WDW* Offsite - 80's , 90's ** POP CENTURY - 2004, 2009 ** CORONADO SPRINGS - 2008 ** PORT ORLEANS (Riverside) - 2011 ** ALL STAR MOVIES - 2012 ** FT. WILDERNESS CABINS DEC 2013
ME DW
disneyworld1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

It would be interesting to see how they incorporate it. Studio side? A single attraction, maybe..but I'm not sure t would "fit" all that well over there (esp considering the substantial real estate the London half of HP looks to be taking up).

Which leaves IOA. I think Suess stays put...it almost has to in order to maintain any family type appeal.

I don't think they pull out any more of the Mythic/Mythos area..because I don't think either IP owner would be happy with them putting LOTR and HP almost literally on top of each other..

Which leaves Jurassic Park, Toon Lagoon, or Marvel Island.

I think (and I'm sure there will be some debate and loud disagreement) that Marvel is safe.

My opinion? Jurassic park is the one to go. I think it's attractions are woefully out of date (and, in some cases, disrepair). I think the IP is a bit long in the tooth. I think the landscaping there would be easiest to adapt to LOTR. The only question is: Is it STILL too close to WWOHP (basically, it's right across a bridge) for Rowling/Tolkein estate's taste.

Both toon and JP have sort of been neglected, recently. There hasn't really been any significant money spent in those two areas, that I can remember, in a LONG time.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #11
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyworld1977 View Post
With the the Lucasfilm acquisition, Marvel (limited of course) and all the other things they have a hold on, Disney I think has alot at their disposal to do some big things at WDW (and other parks) Unfortunately, it takes time. And sometimes that's a good thing. Although we all want to see it now, let's hope they take that time to get it right in whatever they are planning to do with regards to HS, AK, etc.
I agree that Disney has the tools to work with, I differ with you that in order to do anything worthwhile it will take a commitment to things that Disney no longer wishes to commit to.
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

If the rumors that Universal is getting LOTR's gains traction you can bet that if there are actually any talented imagineers left at Disney there will soon be a stack of resume's on somebody's desk at Universal.
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #13
chimilady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamarmiller View Post
hope this goes through and it pushes disney to do more. I keep hoping for a Star Wars Land and a Cars Land to be placed in Hollywood studios !
Carsland won't entice the world of geekdom. Betwen LOTR and Harry Potter, man, that would severely cut down the amount of time we spend at Disney as the girls get older. My first ever trip to Orlando was to Universal to see the Wizarding World, not Disneyworld. I doubt any teen or adult is going to say "Yay, Carsland!" Stars Wars however, is a different story.....
chimilady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #14
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrou24 View Post
Why? Dwarf coaster is scheduled to open sometime in 2014. At least a year, more likely 3 or more years, before LOR could open.

It would be interesting to see if Disney sees the need to push Avatar (land?) to make sure it opens before LOR.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #15
mbrou24
Theme Park Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc

Why? Dwarf coaster is scheduled to open sometime in 2014. At least a year, more likely 3 or more years, before LOR could open.

It would be interesting to see if Disney sees the need to push Avatar (land?) to make sure it opens before LOR.
Exactly. I meant more in terms of getting an official open date
mbrou24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: