DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
islandtimect
DIS Veteran

No Borrowing Points or a Cruise?

sorry, should say FOR a cruise. Is it true that you can't borrow points to book a cruise? MS told me I can't use my April 2013 UY points for a 3/24/13 cruise. I'm shocked.

Last edited by islandtimect; 10-15-2012 at 08:42 AM.
islandtimect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

I borrowed lots of points to book my June cruise. Are you sure the cruise was available for point booking? Or does this hit that "rule of four" about what you can do in the last few months of a use year (which I never really understood)?
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

I can't think of any rules which would prohibit that. The so-called "rule of 4" says that you cannot book AND travel outside of DVC in the last 4 months of your Use Year. But that shouldn't come into play until December 1st.

Could be that there's an issue with cruise availability. In recent years it has been difficult to book DCL on points on less than 9 months' notice. Perhaps some DCL availability issue is the actual problem.

Call back and speak to another rep. See if you get a different answer.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
islandtimect
DIS Veteran

I called back MS and the next agent clarified things. I wanted to change my cruise date from June 2013 to March 2013, and those pts can't be borrowed because they stay in the uy of the original ressie. I don't have enough remaining 2013 pts to borrow. So as the other poster said, yes, you can borrow "clean" pts for a cruise. thanks all, but bummer for me and my family!
Old 10-15-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtimect View Post
I called back MS and the next agent clarified things. I wanted to change my cruise date from June 2013 to March 2013, and those pts can't be borrowed because they stay in the uy of the original ressie.
Yup, that would definitely pose a problem. Once you've committed points to a cruise, they are effectively stuck in that Use Year and are slapped with the designation "Reservation Points", meaning they can only be used for non-DVC destinations. That's one of the pitfalls of using points for a cruise.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
sorry, should say FOR a cruise. Is it true that you can't borrow points to book a cruise? MS told me I can't use my April 2013 UY points for a 3/24/13 cruise. I'm shocked.
Yes, you can borrow and bank points for a cruise. We did this last year for a seven day cruise on the Wonder. We have 280 points a year and the cruise for my family of five 'cost' us somewhere in the 500+ point range.
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

As Tim K posted, reservation points cannot be borrowed or banked.

Once you use points to book a cruise (or anything in the Adventurer's, the Concierge or Disney Collections), those points become reservation points.

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I called back MS and the next agent clarified things. I wanted to change my cruise date from June 2013 to March 2013, and those pts can't be borrowed because they stay in the uy of the original ressie. I don't have enough remaining 2013 pts to borrow. So as the other poster said, yes, you can borrow "clean" pts for a cruise. thanks all, but bummer for me and my family!
This is one of the risks using points for a cruise however, if you've already converted the points to reservations points for the cruise, I'm not sure the UY is as applicable as it would be otherwise, esp for an earlier time. I'd call back and talk to a supervisor.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
This is one of the risks using points for a cruise however, if you've already converted the points to reservations points for the cruise, I'm not sure the UY is as applicable as it would be otherwise, esp for an earlier time. I'd call back and talk to a supervisor.
I think it stems from the fact that the points that come from a canceled June 2013 cruise have to stay in her April 2013 UY. The new cruise would be in her 2012 UY , those can't be "borrowed" back into the 2012 UY.

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #10
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandisw View Post
I think it stems from the fact that the points that come from a canceled June 2013 cruise have to stay in her April 2013 UY. The new cruise would be in her 2012 UY , those can't be "borrowed" back into the 2012 UY.
I realize the issue but I'm not sure it completely applies in this situation. They would expire the end of the 2013 UY but other than that, UY doesn't have a lot of meaning for this situation as it applies to reservation points. I'd call and press further because they points won't be expired and the transfer to reservation status has already been completed. I do know that they generally try to use points within the same UY unless you'd be 2 UY's ahead. Put another way, I know there's a preclusion against banking reservation points but I don't believe there's a written policy preventing borrowing them. If it's me, I'm make the point to a supervisor and see what happens.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #11
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

Multiple times I have banked and borrowed to book a DCL.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #12
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_op_2000 View Post
Multiple times I have banked and borrowed to book a DCL.
I think they've done that already. In this case they already have a cruise booked and would be canceling that one and rebooking in a different UY. These points would be reservation points, not DVC points.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:14 AM   #13
islandtimect
DIS Veteran

Unfortunately 2 MS reps told me you cannot borrow reservation pts, period. I checked our DVC materals and it does state this. Do you think it's worth trying to ask a supervisor to allow it, especially since we're looking to move it only 7 days into the 2012 UY? ie 4/1/13 UY and 3/24/13 cruise.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #14
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

nothing is impossible, i guess - but i doubt they have that much discretion.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #15
queendarvet
Mouseketeer

I would call again and see. We had wanted to change a cruise date where the first day of the cruise fell in the UY preceding ( the cruise we wanted to switch to was November 30. The original cruise was for December 7th. We have a december use year). The CM I had did put me on hold and switched my points around. I think she did this because this was our first time making any such changes (our first time mulligan so to speak). Of course I ended up changing our cruise again but stayed within the new use year for my cruise points.
queendarvet is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: