Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
rkrushing4
Mouseketeer

Opinions on Breakfast - Tusker House vs. Kona Cafe

On Saturday we will be at AK and was thinking about having breakfast at Tusker House. I like buffet breakfasts and the decor looks different but worried that it might be loud and crazy with it being characters. It is just my DH and I so as an adult choice what do you think? We are doing MK on Sunday so I have Kona booked. I booked this originally so we would go to the Poly for a meal because I was unable to get Ohana for dinner. (still can't) Since I was able to get a Lua reservation I'm not worried about vising the Poly anymore. So given Kona vs. Tusker House for an adult breakfast what are the opinions? I'm open to other dining places too that might be easy for those park days but I want to only do one breakfast so one or the other. Thanks.

October 2004 - Sheraton Vistana - MNSSHP

December 2007 - So glad to be on Disney property again - MVMCP - All Star Sport

April 2008 - Epcots Flower and Garden Festival - Pop Century
March 2009 - Port Orleans French Quarter

September 2009 - Food and Wine Festival - Coronado Springs- Free Dining - DD20 not able to come
September 2010 - My Birthday and 20th Anniversary Celebration - DH and I - AKL
November 2010 - Thanksgiving - POR
October 2011 - All of us and my mom - POR
October 2012 - Food and Wine - DH and I - POFQ
October 2013 - Mother Daughter trip with Justine - AOA
rkrushing4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
disneyag
DIS Veteran

We enjoyed breakfast there, but it was a character breakfast, so pretty noisy and chaotic. Does Rainforest Cafe serve breakfast?

June 2014 AKL June 2013 Poly
June 2011 Poly CL June 2010 Poly
June 2009 AKL CL Dec 2007 WL CL
Oct 2006 Poly June 2006 CR
June 2005 AKL Oct 2004 WL
June 2004 AKL June 2002 Poly
Sept. 2001 Poly CL June 1999 Poly
1997 BC
1992 BC
1974 Poly
disneyag is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I love the Tusker House breakfast buffet. But the food at the Kona Cafe is good too, and yes, it will be a bit quieter. Not totally quiet though, as it is kind of open to the rest of that level of the Poly. Either place is a good choice.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
Dizzytime
DIS Veteran

We're two adults only, and we do both TH and Kona every trip. Certainly different restaurants for all the obvious reasons, but excellent food and atmosphere at both.

If I had to pick one I'd think location first. Do I want to go to MK or AK?
TH has the advantage of actually being inside the park, and since you're seeing Poly already the advantage to Kona would just the mono to MK....plus, don't forget TONGA TOAST!!! Whoo- Whoo!!!

The only other thought you touched on was characters and noise, but even without our kids with us we really do enjoy the character interaction/performance at TH. Very special, indeed, and we always leave with a big smile and a lot of pictures!!

You can't go wrong with either and have a great time!! :good vibes
Dizzytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
disbnlbilly
Earning My Ears

We love kona! The Polynesian is right on the monorail and the food is great. We try to book a breakfast or dinner there. Tonga toast rocks.
disbnlbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
rkrushing4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzytime View Post
The only other thought you touched on was characters and noise, but even without our kids with us we really do enjoy the character interaction/performance at TH. Very special, indeed, and we always leave with a big smile and a lot of pictures!!
We don't mind characters or some noise. With our DD's we have tried many character meals. Is it more like Chef Mickeys which was chaotic and noisy or more like Crystal Palace that we love?

October 2004 - Sheraton Vistana - MNSSHP

December 2007 - So glad to be on Disney property again - MVMCP - All Star Sport

April 2008 - Epcots Flower and Garden Festival - Pop Century
March 2009 - Port Orleans French Quarter

September 2009 - Food and Wine Festival - Coronado Springs- Free Dining - DD20 not able to come
September 2010 - My Birthday and 20th Anniversary Celebration - DH and I - AKL
November 2010 - Thanksgiving - POR
October 2011 - All of us and my mom - POR
October 2012 - Food and Wine - DH and I - POFQ
October 2013 - Mother Daughter trip with Justine - AOA

Last edited by rkrushing4; 10-12-2012 at 08:28 PM.
rkrushing4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #7
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

My husband and I like both TH and Kona. They both have some great food and have obvious differences. I say try both if you can!
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise in 2013. YC stay and Western Caribbean Cruise in 2014. BC stay and Eastern Caribbean Cruise in 2015!!

DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
CareHeartsDisney
Mouseketeer

We just ate at TH this past Saturday. The service was not good. It took about 10 minutes for our waiter to come to our table to take our drink orders. Another 20 minutes went by and he didn't return with our drinks. He finally came back to refill our "jungle juice" that everyone gets at the table (aside from what you order). I kindly told him that we didn't get our drinks. He apologized and another 10 minutes later, he came with our drinks. We ate at TH four years ago and had a good experience. This time, aside from the poor service, we didn't think the food and the selection was good. It was just ok. We enjoyed the breakfast at 1900 Park Fare much better. We ate breakfast at Kona Cafe last year and really enjoyed it.

WDW Trips - Offsite: 3/93, 1/94, 3/94, 2/96, 11/12 (MVMCP while visiting Universal Studios); Onsite: 4/95 WL, 11/08 CSR, 11/11 Poly, 10/12 AoA Cars Suite, 2/13 POR, 2/14 POR

Universal Orlando Trips - Offsite: 3/94, 12/97; Onsite: 11/11 HRH, 11/12 HRH, 2/14 PBH
CareHeartsDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
ArthurFiggis
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzytime View Post
If I had to pick one I'd think location first. Do I want to go to MK or AK?
TH has the advantage of actually being inside the park, and since you're seeing Poly already the advantage to Kona would just the mono to MK....plus, don't forget TONGA TOAST!!! Whoo- Whoo!!!
Solo adult here, and I really enjoyed TH. It was a little chaotic, but not as much as I thought it would be. My server was extra nice when she found out I'd spent a bit too much time at Pleasure Island the night before.

I'm getting my first Tonga Toast on my next trip and am looking forward to it.

What Dizzytime said is the key to me as well, though. TH is right at the Safari and that is a big bonus for an early ADR. If you want to be anywhere other than AK though, Kona would be a better choice.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #10
Southern Bell
DIS Veteran

Last year I ate at Tusker House. My husband and I really enjoyed it and thought Tusker house had a good breakfast buffet. We had good service with our drinks and didn't feel rushed or crowded like we had at Chef Mickeys. Afterwards we did the safari at AK and that worked out well. They will be excited children and characters visiting the tables. It is similiar to how they do at Crystal Palace.
Southern Bell is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: