Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #721
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
This is AWESOME news Michele! I bet you're feeling some sense of relief.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
great news!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Congratulations! Such great news.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvc at last ! View Post
That is great news - good thoughts and prayers !
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaviolet View Post
Very happy to see your post. Once again - a stranger but sending good thoughts your way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
This is awesome news Michele! thanks for sharing and I'm so glad to hear it!

Thank you everyone! It has been a big relief for us all. I am seeing more of the old him. He spent more time on his bicycle than he has in a long time. Of course that led to him almost breaking his wrist. But a not depressed Scotty is a wonderful change.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #722
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
Thank you everyone! It has been a big relief for us all. I am seeing more of the old him. He spent more time on his bicycle than he has in a long time. Of course that led to him almost breaking his wrist. But a not depressed Scotty is a wonderful change.

I'm so happy for you both. Such great news. I'm thinking you need a trip to Disneyland to celebrate!

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #723
kaoden39
Hugs

Quote:
I'm so happy for you both. Such great news. I'm thinking you need a trip to Disneyland to celebrate!

Well, we still have the cancer hanging there. But the Dr reassured him that it would be easily treatable. Disneyland is shelved at least for a while. I was offered a job and I need to write up a resume for it. I don't have a lot of work experience in this field but I am hoping because they approached me I have a step up. Any money I earn from that will be ear marked as vacation and luxury money.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #724
rentayenta

Quote:
Well, we still have the cancer hanging there. But the Dr reassured him that it would be easily treatable. Disneyland is shelved at least for a while. I was offered a job and I need to write up a resume for it. I don't have a lot of work experience in this field but I am hoping because they approached me I have a step up. Any money I earn from that will be ear marked as vacation and luxury money.

A job? Cool! Doing what? I like the sound of vacation money.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #725
kaoden39
Hugs

Quote:
A job? Cool! Doing what? I like the sound of vacation money.

I was approached by goodreads.com where I write book reviews about working for them from home. They are San Francisco based so if I ever need to trek in to the office it isn't too terribly far. They asked if I would be interested in aiding people to use the website and do research and such. I love the idea of telecommuting.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #726
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
I was approached by goodreads.com where I write book reviews about working for them from home. They are San Francisco based so if I ever need to trek in to the office it isn't too terribly far. They asked if I would be interested in aiding people to use the website and do research and such. I love the idea of telecommuting.
Congratulations. Sounds ideal!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #727
rentayenta

Quote:

That sounds like a perfect job for you! What a fun opportunity. Sending pixie dust your way. I love this for you. You deserve something that's just for you. When will you know?

Old 01-27-2013, 11:12 PM   #728
kaoden39
Hugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Congratulations. Sounds ideal!
Thank you!

Quote:
That sounds like a perfect job for you! What a fun opportunity. Sending pixie dust your way. I love this for you. You deserve something that's just for you. When will you know?

That's what I thought! I appreciate all the pixie dust I can get! I should know in the next week or so.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:16 PM   #729
rentayenta

Quote:
Thank you!

That's what I thought! I appreciate all the pixie dust I can get! I should know in the next week or so.

I think i sounds like a fabulous opportunity. Are you doing a Skype interview or going into the city?

Old 01-28-2013, 04:52 AM   #730
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta

Having a car will be nice. Do you drive to WDW or rent one when you arrive?

I bought too much of some stuff and could have used more of others. Live and learn. We didn't go hungry- lol.
We're planning to take the auto train for the 1st time. You drive to Washington DC and they load your car onto the Amtrak. I'm getting sleeper compartments for us at night.

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
DrMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #731
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
We're planning to take the auto train for the 1st time. You drive to Washington DC and they load your car onto the Amtrak. I'm getting sleeper compartments for us at night.

Amanda

That sounds like so much fun Amanda. I can't wait to hear all about it. I've always wanted to do a sleeper car on a train. Are the kids so excited?

Old 01-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #732
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:

Was the water super salty? Why did it burn?
Exactly! I'm surprised too they don't like the ocean, is it maybe the waves?
I think it burned his sunburn...it was Evan who whined about the stinging/burning and he was the one with a burn since he wouldn't wear his rash guard that first full day at Vero. They did like it at Vero, though they got a bit bored but I think it was more that the slide was more interesting than sand and waves. I really don't know what their issue was in Nassau. CC is kind of the best of both worlds but that's getting ahead of the TR!

Quote:
Lockoffs are totally the way to go with guests I think. That way they've got their own little space too thats maybe a little more convenient than always using the big fridge especially at night if you're using the pull out too.
If it were adult guests in it then I'd agree. We will have all the kids in it so I'd actually prefer 2 dedicated beds than dealing with the couch or them having their own door and the ability to "lock" between ours. should be interesting.

Quote:

The second bedroom has 2 queens. How old are all of the 5 boys?
Really? That's not what is shows on the website. It shows a queen in the master, queen in the 2nd, bunks in the 3rd and then queen sleeper sofa plus sleeper chair in the main room. I'm not positive if all kids will be there through the THV nights or not yet. Hope so for the boys sake but I'm not sure how best to lay it out if they are. Obviously I'll have 2 kids in bunks and it'd be my preference to stick 3 in the 3nd bedroom but I've been told an air mattress won't fit in either the 2nd or 3rd bedroom which would mean kids in the main area....not my ideal by a long shot. Do you have pictures of all 3 bedrooms?

The boys will be 12, 13, 14, 14, 15

or, 7th, 9th and 10th grades.

Most are on the small side except for the 15 year old who will probably be 5'9" by then at the rate he is going. I'll be surprised if anyone else breaks 5'3" or 5'4" The E's are the 2nd tallest right now at a little over 5'1". Neck and neck though and Eric is going to pass up Evan any day now, which will kill Evan. They are all pretty darn thin.

Of course if my sisters BF comes with his 2 girls (yes, one of the wild cards) then we will have another 12 and 14 year old in the mix. I think. I am not 100% on their exact ages but that's close enough.

Quote:

If they're booking their own cash room then that's good, less stress for you other than ADRs. How many does that make for dinner?
Don't really know yet, although we will by ADR time for sure. Right now it looks like 12, could be as many as 17.

Quote:
What if they used the cash that they are using towards room towards a GV? OKW GVs are amazing! We stayed with Jenna and family there for 5 nights and it was incredible. We had beds that weren't touched. It's worth calling on.
Looked into it (as well as a ridiculous amount of other options) and it is a LOT less expensive for them to get cash rooms, non villa even if I do get a discount. My mom even considered buying points but it just doesn't pencil.

Quote:
The THV didn't book up for our trip until about 9 months before. Of course I checked daily to feel extra cool that we got it at 11 months.
Yah, THV or anything at SSR hasn't sold out yet, for any dates, including the GV's. I do think SSR's point values should be more in line with OKW, that does make me a little crabby. THV runs about a point more per night over the New Years time period than does a Boardwalk View 2b. That's a bit messed up if you ask me.

Problem with a GV for all the nights is the sleeping configuration just doesn't work out right and I could only do 8 nights, not 9. I like 9 better!

Quote:
Was today the Saturday? Did you get it? What did you do?

You will. How can you not get it on the day of the 11 month? I think you'll be okay. Now if you don't get it I'd go for any view you can get and wait list the entire stay. I guess it depends on the dynamics of the party on whether I'd want to move with a group that size. We went from the OKW to AKV with Jenna and it went fine but it's a lot of work making sure everyone is ready. If you do decide to move, I'd just set your bar at an 11 am check out and not get your hopes up for any sort of park time that morning.
We've done split stays several times. 3 resorts in 2010, 4 this summer (if you count the Dream as a resort) and I've done it on both girls trips, so that part doesn't worry me.

Honestly if it were up to me, I'd probably just stay at BWV the whole time. But I have 2 boys who are DYING to sleep in a treehouse. And especially with their cousins. So I'm compromising. I get BWV for New Years with the crowds and the ability to walk home, they get it starting on the 4th when we are in lower crowd dates. Now I just hope that the cousins will be staying those same dates but the boys have assured me they will be happy with even one night at THV. Me, I'm not moving for just 1 night!

Believe it or not at 11m it is possible to not get it. It's only a few room types and categories but today for part of the day both the 28th (which is today's 11m day) and the 29th were gone. Which means not only could you not book starting today if you tried after the 28th was gone but chances for tomorrow were pretty bad if it was already gone unless someone cancelled. Same thing happened for the 22nd and then the 25/26th. Pool view has been wide open except for the 22nd but both standard and boardwalk have been snatched up like hotcakes. makes sense I guess, it's a very low inventory item, only 22 bw view 2 bedrooms.

I did book on the 26th and have walked it each day since then, so 2x. One more tomorrow and I'm done but I've locked in NYE and NYD which was my concern with waiting. I'd likely have been ok to wait until today but there were moments where it really didn't look like the case.

Quote:
I'm opting out of taking the kids during school. It's just too hard. I miss the days of being able to blow it off.

You know this but Joshua wants to do Disneyland for his bar mitzvah trip. He wants part Disney/part beach. My crazy kids will swim in the ocean in December. Right now, this would be our ideal plan:

12/21 (Chloe's birthday): drive to Vegas, stay the night
12/22-12/27: GCV and Disneyland/DCA
12/27-12/29: my friend's house, do the whole HB, SB, shopping thing
12/29: drive to vegas, stay the night
12/30: home to Utah
That sounds like a FUN trip! Are you going to try to rent points or pray at the 7m date? I am dying to get to DLR/DCA. Hoping for 2015 but not really sure when beyond that.

Yeah, a couple of days, esp at the start of a semester is one thing but anything more than that and.... not worth it. I'm actually SO happy you posted this, it made me think to check the website and see if next years dates were up. couldn't find them so called the district. Turns out they were up, just only in 1 place and YAY they'd only be missing 2 days. That works for me! Hopefully no one ends up with a mean teacher who is giving a test the 21st or 2nd day back after xmas break.

It could happen though.
eandesmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #733
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Glad you got some good news!!!

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Aug 2011 TR
Disney Dream
Old 01-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #734
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That sounds like so much fun Amanda. I can't wait to hear all about it. I've always wanted to do a sleeper car on a train. Are the kids so excited?
Kids are excited. Tom (DH) is less excited.

Amanda

Aug 2011 TR
Disney Dream
Old 01-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #735
dvc at last !
DVC Member 2006!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post

Amanda
I have thought about this before - daughter lives in DC and many of her friends have done this Amtrak to Florida. We could drive from here to DC stay
overnite and use Amtrak. When are you going ?
Keep us posted.
Taking a train sounds like a fun experience !
'12-AKL~ '12-OKW~'13-OKW~'13-BCV~'14-OKW~

Last edited by dvc at last !; 01-28-2013 at 08:21 PM. Reason: change a word
dvc at last ! is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: