Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #16
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

I am seriously considering signing up and if I do I will be alone. I agree that for the actual running I will be fine. I was actually over here looking for a meet thread! I need to talk to my DH about it but I can use airline miles and my DVC so all I need to pay for is my food and registration. I could get a nice weekend away for pretty cheap so I am strongly considering it!
Old 10-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #17
luckystar55
Earning My Ears

I'm doing this run alone. Would love to meet up with others in the same boat!
luckystar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #18
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

My DH is the best.

Yesterday
Me:"So we have some extra DVC points and I have a ton of airline miles, do you care if I use them and go to WDW in February?"

DH: "Whatever you want honey"

He is so cute too. He thought I was going just to see the new Fantasyland.
He is in the Navy and trying to save leave so he wont be coming with me on this trip. I have myself registered and my plane tickets bought.

Anyone else doing the entire trip solo not just the run?
Old 10-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #19
Raenstoirm
BL6 Team Challenge Tracker
Lets go get me your numbers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post

Anyone else doing the entire trip solo not just the run?
Can I have your husband?? Mine is less than enthusiastic about some of my pursuits!

If I go, I will all alone too! Although I am now considering running with TNT, so I wont be so much alone. I will still be alone, but I will have a shirt that matches tons of other people!

Trying to stay at every resort, but we are creatures of habit!
Caribbean Beach/Riverside/Wilderness Lodge/All Star Movies/Beach Club/Contemporary

Raenstoirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #20
niclodn
Mouseketeer

I, too, will be solo on this one -- both the race and everything else. Will definitely be up for a meet with everyone
niclodn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #21
AnotherPrincess
DIS Veteran

I'm running alone and traveling alone. At least I think I am. Now the parentals are saying they may drive down but I'll be flying. Them coming is still a long shot though so I'm still calling this a solo trip. It'll be quick. Looking to fly in Thursday night after work and fly back late Sunday afternoon or evening. Anyone else fly out after the race? Kinda worried that may be a bad idea on my part. But I digress. Anyway, even if I had friends running with me we'd be running our own races and likely wouldn't be in the same corrals. For me personally, running with people is overrated. I find it too much of a distraction so I'm totally good running by myself. I'll chat with people around me and all but having to stay with someone for that distance is just too much. I figure a weekend alone at Disney is better than most weekends at home. Lol
AnotherPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #22
MRS AR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherPrincess
I'm running alone and traveling alone. At least I think I am. Now the parentals are saying they may drive down but I'll be flying. Them coming is still a long shot though so I'm still calling this a solo trip. It'll be quick. Looking to fly in Thursday night after work and fly back late Sunday afternoon or evening. Anyone else fly out after the race? Kinda worried that may be a bad idea on my part. But I digress. Anyway, even if I had friends running with me we'd be running our own races and likely wouldn't be in the same corrals. For me personally, running with people is overrated. I find it too much of a distraction so I'm totally good running by myself. I'll chat with people around me and all but having to stay with someone for that distance is just too much. I figure a weekend alone at Disney is better than most weekends at home. Lol
My daughter and I are flying in on Thursday evening and flying out at 2:30 Sunday. A faster turn around than I wanted, but I'm happy to just be going. We are both flying to different cities and this was the only flights we could almost coordinate our arrival and departure flights. I've kinda worried about the times but figured I'd skip food if I'm cutting time close.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:30 AM   #23
EEsloveDis
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkdmc
It seems like many people do the Princess with friends. I'm going to try to enlist some (non-runner) friends to join me but if that fails, I'll be running solo. Will I stick out like a sore thumb? My DH isn't able to go.

I plan on running by myself anyway wearing my headphones so it's just the pre- and post- race festivities I'm worried about.

TIA!
I'm supposed to run with hubby but he's starting to have knee issues. He went though it last year and was unable to run from late November through mid-April. Ack!!! He's my support and motivation and is what keeps me going on my runs so fingers are crossed that he will okay. If not it will be cheering me from the sidelines.
1986-1st trip~5/2006-Animal Kingdom~6/2008-Beach Club~10/2009-Contemporary~2/2010-Pop Century~6/2010-Star Wars Weekend French Quarter~12/2010-Marco Island~12/2011-Riverside~8/2012-Hilton Bonnet Creek~9/2012-Caribbean~10/2012-Hilton Downtown Disney~2/2013-Princess Half Marathon Hilton Bonnet Creek
EEsloveDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #24
slp1650
Mouseketeer

I almost always run alone. I don't do well running through the crowd with other people. I did run Princess last year with my friend, but I was more supporting her than anything.

I'll be running all the races next year alone it looks like. I'll find friends for the pre- and post-race times, but the run itself is solo.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:58 PM   #25
bskelly07
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherPrincess View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS AR View Post
My daughter and I are flying in on Thursday evening and flying out at 2:30 Sunday. A faster turn around than I wanted, but I'm happy to just be going. We are both flying to different cities and this was the only flights we could almost coordinate our arrival and departure flights. I've kinda worried about the times but figured I'd skip food if I'm cutting time close.
In response to flying directly after the race, make sure you get up every 30 minutes to an hour to walk around and let your muscles keep moving! You don't want them to lock up and be in excruciating pain after your flight, trust me! This may be common knowledge, or not. Better to be safe than sorry! I spent 8 hours in a car after my first half marathon, such a bad decision. We got out every 2 hours and looked like we had just ridden a horse for 24 hours straight each time, lol!

I'm submitting an edit to say that I'm also running alone too!! Alone runners... unite??!

Last edited by bskelly07; 11-12-2012 at 12:00 AM. Reason: addition to post
bskelly07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #26
MRS AR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskelly07

In response to flying directly after the race, make sure you get up every 30 minutes to an hour to walk around and let your muscles keep moving! You don't want them to lock up and be in excruciating pain after your flight, trust me! This may be common knowledge, or not. Better to be safe than sorry! I spent 8 hours in a car after my first half marathon, such a bad decision. We got out every 2 hours and looked like we had just ridden a horse for 24 hours straight each time, lol!

I'm submitting an edit to say that I'm also running alone too!! Alone runners... unite??!
Thanks for the advice. My flight times changed slightly (by the airlines) and when I called to confirm they offered me an upgrade to business class for a small fee. I may call back and accept the offer for the extra leg room. My flights are only 1 hour long and I have leg stretching time between flights.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #27
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Solo run and solo trip. But, with Disser's abounding are we ever really alone? Lol!

Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
"Dreamy" 15th Anniversary TR!:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004870
MinnieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #28
KristinM1027
Earning My Ears

I'm running alone too. DH will be there to take pictures and my parents are tagging along to help with the kids (I have a 4-year-old and 1-year-old) so they aren't up at the crack of dawn. They're not participating in the race though.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #29
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinM1027 View Post
I'm running alone too. DH will be there to take pictures and my parents are tagging along to help with the kids (I have a 4-year-old and 1-year-old) so they aren't up at the crack of dawn. They're not participating in the race though.
Have you checked out the ChEAR Squad for your family members ??
Old 11-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #30
mamacate
Half Crazy Princess 2012

I'll be down there with my family this year (last year it was just me and DD9). But I went to the meetup last year (left before a lot of people showed up) and would love to do so again! I have met some great people from groups like this!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: