Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
walkdmc

DIS Veteran

Anyone doing the Princess 1/2 alone?

It seems like many people do the Princess with friends. I'm going to try to enlist some (non-runner) friends to join me but if that fails, I'll be running solo. Will I stick out like a sore thumb? My DH isn't able to go.

I plan on running by myself anyway wearing my headphones so it's just the pre- and post- race festivities I'm worried about.

TIA!
walkdmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
KristinU
DIS Veteran

I did it myself in 2011 (I was with my DH and DS at WDW, but they didn't come to the race.) Would it be more fun with a buddy? Sure. But did I stick out like a sore thumb? No, not even with my big "no friends" sign on me...just kidding! But really, I guess it depends on you and how outgoing you are. I've done lots of business travel solo, so I guess doing stuff alone isn't a big deal for me, and I don't mind picking up a conversation with folks around me. I remember chatting with some women on the way to the corrals, then once in my corral I chatted with someone else. Afterwards I can't comment on because we were hitting the road to head home right after the race, so I didn't stick around after I finished.

All that said, I know there's discussion going on right now on the Princess thread about meeting up, there are plenty of other DIS ladies doing it solo to meet up with, so maybe hop onto that thread and join in the meetup!

1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 Joined DVC! BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! also in 2007 - started living Debt Free! - 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and sold DVC! (and yes, it's a good thing for us! ) and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend!
KristinU is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
MouserQ
Earning My Ears

I'm running by myself, but will be dragging the boy along to keep me company afterwards. But from the conversations on the FB page and the official thread (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2899357) it looks like a lot of people are going solo -- plans have already started to meet up before and afterwards. Check it out!
Old 10-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
christinascreative
Mouseketeer

I'm running P1/2 2013 alone too! I think there are probably a lot more solo runners than you think. I don't think any of us will be "alone" as I hear there are tons of friendly Disney fans & all that fun character stuff along the way.

[/img]
christinascreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
Dr.Girlfriend
DIS Veteran

I have done the Princess alone, and I enjoyed it! I prefer running alone, personally.
Wine & Dine 1/2 - 2011 ~ WDW Marathon Relay - 2012 ~ Princess 1/2 - 2012 ~ Tower of Terror 10 Miler - 2012 ~ Wine & Dine 1/2 2012 ~ Goofy Challenge - 2013 ~ Tower of Terror 10 Miler – 2013 ~ Mickey's Jingle Jungle 5k - 2013 ~ Wine & Dine 1/2 – 2013 ~ Family Fun Run 5k - 2014 ~ Minnie Mouse - 10k 2014 ~ Donald 1/2 - 2014 ~ Castaway Cay 5k - 2014

UPCOMING:
Royal Family 5k - 2014 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge – 2014 ~ Everest Challenge 5k - 2014 ~ Dumbo Double Dare - 2014
Dr.Girlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #6
ChrisRuns
Training for my third run around the World!

You'll be fine. It may be nice to have someone you know to talk to in your corral, but I've struck up a conversation with strangers in every Disney corral I've been in. As for the race itself, running alone is common - I can't imagine doing it any other way. I started Princess with a friend, but we split up and ran our own races.
ChrisRuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #7
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

My DH is doing the Royal 5K and my 3 DSs are doing the kids runs but I will be doing the Half on my own. Come join our group in the WISH forum. There's lots of us running solo and we're planning to meet up before and keep each other company!

Princess on the Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
amykay9377
Prepare to be amazed beyond all expectations. After all it is what I do.

I'll be running alone too! Hubby and DD14(15 by then) will come to the race with me (on the bus) to keep me company before I head to the starting line, but I'm doing the actual race alone. I think I prefer it that way, I don't know why. I run alone now, so this will be fine. Of course, I'll be friendly and chat with girls (and guys) while in the corrals and whatnot, or if I strike up conversation while on course, but that's just because I love to talk!

Check out my blog!
(I may need to change the name soon...)

amykay9377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #9
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkdmc
It seems like many people do the Princess with friends. I'm going to try to enlist some (non-runner) friends to join me but if that fails, I'll be running solo. Will I stick out like a sore thumb? My DH isn't able to go.

I plan on running by myself anyway wearing my headphones so it's just the pre- and post- race festivities I'm worried about.

TIA!
Hi! I ran the Princess, my very first race ever, alone this past Feb. It was awesome! I definitely was in the vast minority since most people are in pairs of groups. But I am a very outgoing, chatty person so I had a blast! I met an amazing woman on the bus ride over to the start. Then I met an amazing solo runner on our walk to the pre race area/corrals. Then throughout the course i spoke with a few people but mostly i had my earbuds in and so did everyone else. I remember passing the 10 mile marker and turning around and saying to a young lady "WOW! We only have 5K to go I can't believe it!" she felt the same way and it was a great moment. You will have a blast! This event is the most inspiring thing I've ever done. Lots of luck and best wishes!!! :-)

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #10
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkdmc View Post

TIA!

I'm also running alone.
And as Princess on the Run said...come over to the W.I.S.H. thread and we are planning to meet up before the run.
One group who has the race retreat and another meet up group who is passing on that. So you should have a couple of groups to choose from to meet and hang out before the race.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #11
rani8600
Mouseketeer

The princess half this feb is going to be my first half and i will be running it alone. For the running itself i think i prefer to be alone so im not slowing anyone down or them slowing me down. i am a little nervous about the waiting before the race though...

A Fall Trip full of firsts, MNSSHP and Food and Wine Oct 2011
13.1 Royal Miles-2013 Princess Half Marathon

VeganRamblings my blog - includes additional trip reports
rani8600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #12
the_princess
DIS Veteran

I'm running alone as well. I don't understand why so many people are worried about doing things alone. (not just running but things in general) I would never run with someone else since we probably won't have the same comfort pace. I love classic ballet, but none of my friends does, so I always go to the theater by myself. I've been traveling on my own several times.
So what I mean with this is, don't be afraid of doing stuff on your own.
If you were some where with some friends, would you even notice if other people were there alone? Would you look at them and think, wow, you really stand out being here all on your own? Probably not! So no one else does that to you!

I'll be running the PHM alone but I'm pretty sure I'll find someone to talk to while having breakfast, walking to the corals and waiting in the coral. And if I don't talk to anyone, I'll use the time concentrating on the race, getting ready mentally etc.

MY DISNEY PICTURES
:
Holiday time at DL Tour Dec'13: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3210059

WDW & WWOHP Dec '11: http://billeder.stepher.dk/#26.0

WDW & SW Feb '13: http://billeder.stepher.dk/#30.0

MY DISNEY STAYS:
July '03-DLP Dec '03-DLP NPBC Sep '04-DLP SL Sep '05-DLP HNY Mar '07-WDW Offside (Comfort Inn) Dec '07-DLP SF Feb '08-DLP SL Oct '08-WDW Renaissance Resort SeaWorld, AKL & POR May '09-DLP SL Dec '09-DLP HNY July '10-DLR DLH Feb '11-DLP DLH Dec'11-WDW POR August'12-DLP.Jan'13-DLP Chyenne Feb'13-WDW PORDec'13-DL Offsite
the_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #13
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rani8600 View Post
The princess half this feb is going to be my first half and i will be running it alone. For the running itself i think i prefer to be alone so im not slowing anyone down or them slowing me down. i am a little nervous about the waiting before the race though...
I feel the same way. For sure come hang out with the rest of us "alone but not alone" runners before and after!

Princess on the Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #14
Raenstoirm
BL6 Team Challenge Tracker
Lets go get me your numbers!

I am thinking about signing up and I too will be alone. I was thinking of making the ToT or W&D next fall my first big race, but with Princess still having spots, I am rethinking my plan. If I do it, I will be completely completely alone. It will be my first flight alone and first time in hotel alone too and I am over 30 believe it or not! Dh and I have been together since we were 19, so I've never had any reason for solo traveling (he always insists on tagging along ). But now I have to convince him that I want to go and no he cant come too. (I know it will just stress me out with him there since I will want to spend a good deal of time at the expo- which he'll hate, and then only touring the parks for a little while and slowly at that, plus no fancy restaurant food- don't want anything weighting me down and possibly upsetting my tummy and going to bed really early saturday night and probably a long nap sunday (racing aside, I cant get up that early without a nap later! ). All in all a miserable trip for him. It looks to be about $1000 weekend for just me, so I am trying to justify that!

Trying to stay at every resort, but we are creatures of habit!
Caribbean Beach/Riverside/Wilderness Lodge/All Star Movies/Beach Club/Contemporary

Raenstoirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #15
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenstoirm View Post
I am thinking about signing up and I too will be alone. I was thinking of making the ToT or W&D next fall my first big race, but with Princess still having spots, I am rethinking my plan. If I do it, I will be completely completely alone. It will be my first flight alone and first time in hotel alone too and I am over 30 believe it or not! Dh and I have been together since we were 19, so I've never had any reason for solo traveling (he always insists on tagging along ). But now I have to convince him that I want to go and no he cant come too. (I know it will just stress me out with him there since I will want to spend a good deal of time at the expo- which he'll hate, and then only touring the parks for a little while and slowly at that, plus no fancy restaurant food- don't want anything weighting me down and possibly upsetting my tummy and going to bed really early saturday night and probably a long nap sunday (racing aside, I cant get up that early without a nap later! ). All in all a miserable trip for him. It looks to be about $1000 weekend for just me, so I am trying to justify that!
I could not think of a better place or reason to travel by yourself. It's Disney !!! You can do what ever, when ever, anything you want when you want to !!! Race weekend will be busy enough with the expo, race meet-ups and of course the main event the race. Traveling by yourself will challenge you but just think how you will feel when you actually do it.

As for the $$$ spend time checking out deals with airlines, hotels, promo code for WDW etc. If DH does want to go with you he can participate in the ChEAR squad, like a lot of our husbands and familly members are doing. You could just make a vacation out of it too. Throughout the year a number of our family vacations revolve around Disney races. Hope this helps.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: