Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #16
DisneyBelle27
DIS Veteran

Day 3 In which our intrepid explorer recovers from her hot and super humid, late night race by running around Epcot, experiencing her first Food & Wine Festival, dining solo at Rose & Crown, and viewing her favorite Disney fireworks show

Well, I had been figuring I'd sleep in quite late Sunday morning, considering the night before was my 10 mile race, followed by the Villians Hollywood Bash, and I didn't even leave the park until 2:15am! BUT, of course, being in WDW, I woke up around 8:something am, started thinking about my upcoming day at Epcot, tried in vain to fall back asleep, and then gave up. My feet were sore, aching, and blistered but that certainly wasn't going to inhibit me having a blast!

So, I got myself up, cleaned, dressed, and sunscreened, out the door on my aching feet, caffeinated at the food court en route to the bus stop, and over to Epcot, which I absolutely LOVE!

cranberry bog (F&W Festival was sponsored by Ocean Spray this year)

My plan of action was to hit up some of the rides in Future World first, since it was still relatively early, then head over to Food & Wine, then back for a few more rides, over to my reservation @ Rose & Crown, and watch IllumiNations from the patio there.

First thing I did was fastpass Soarin', then went over to The Seas and rode Nemo. Such a cute ride!

"Mine. Mine. Mine! Mine."

I love manatees!

After that it was off to Spaceship Earth, the ride inside the "giant golf ball".

ancient Egypt:

I guess when you ride solo they play matchmaker!

Next up was Living with the Land, which I hadn't been on in eons, but thoroughly enjoyed!!

I need some of these plants in my backyard!

mmm, tilapia...

A random restroom observation:

Thanks Disney, but I'm pretty sure I know what that hook is for.

Last stop before going over to World Showcase was Club Cool, from Coca Cola, where you can try these international Coke products for free (yes, I used the word 'free' when talking about Disney!!!):

Krest Ginger Ale from Mozambique
Fanta Kolita from Costa Rica
Beverly from Italy
Vegeta Beta from Japan
Kinley Lemon from Israel
Lift Apple from Mexico
Smart Watermelon from China
Mezzo Mix from Germany

Personally, my faves are the watermelon one from China, and the ginger ale from Mozambique because it actually tastes like ginger! And for a good time, tell someone that you absolutely LOOOOVVVEEE the Beverly, and they just HAVE to try it, then get your camera ready for the famous 'Beverly face'!!!

And then it was time to head over to World Showcase!

Food & Wine Festival

(no, I didn't get there at night, but I didn't get this pic til I was leaving, lol)

First stops were Craft Beers for some Berry Weiss beer and the Caribbean for Jerk Spiced Chicken Drumstick with Mango Chutney. YUM!!

Then, it was off to Scandinavia for the Taste of Scandinavia: Cured Salmon, Herring and Shrimp Salad, which was also quite good!

Somewhere around this time I hopped onto Maelstrom, in Norway, and the Gran Fiesta Tour, in Mexico.

poor Donald!

I love the open market feel inside the temple in Mexico!

Ok, the last food item I had before heading back to Future World for some rides (but not the last of the day!!) was the Lettuce Wrap with Roast Pork and Kimchi Slaw.

This was good, but not as good as I was expecting...

...and this beer flight from the Brewer's Collection:

these were the first 4 listed here:

the Berliner Kindl Dark (I think, it was the really dark one I believe) had a neat smoky flavor and the grapefruit one was just really cool! (disclaimer: I am in no way any kind of beer expert or connoisseur!)

Anyway, I'll leave off here for now. Hopefully, I'll get the 2nd half of Day 3 up this evening as well!

Coming Soon! Part 2 of Day3!

Dreaming of my next countdown ticker

My awesomely awesome first ever solo trip to the World trip report! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post46328869

Past WDW trips:'86 off-prop., '89 CBR, '94 CBR, '99 off-prop., '01 ASMusic, '01 CBR, '07 ASMusic, '08 PC, '09 3 nights POFQ, 4 nights Wonder, '10 6 nights AKL, '12 AS Sports w/ToT 10 Miler
Previous cruises: RCCL Enchantment of the Seas w/Metro Dance 11/08 (maybe you saw us perform in the theater!)

Last edited by DisneyBelle27; 07-08-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #17
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Isn't it crazy how easy it is to wake up in the morning in WDW? I always have such a hard time at home, but there NO PROBLEM!

I adore the F&W festival. It's my absolute favorite time of year to go. Mostly because I can partake in libations and feel okay with it because everyone else is doing it!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #18
DisneyBelle27
DIS Veteran

Day 3 continued...

It was about time to go and use my fastpass for Soarin', one of my all-time favorite Disney rides! Disney nerd alert: the music from it is actually the ringtone on my phone! Well, except for right now, since it's currently "This is Halloween" from Nightmare Before Christmas, to fit the season.

Thank god for fastpass! When I got in the fastpass line the standby line was a posted 110 minute wait!!!! I spent a little bit of time chatting with my fellow queue-mates about the absurdity of that wait time!!

The film itself could use some cleaning, and I really wish they would make some new films, of different parts of the world, but I still absolutely LOVE this ride! It just makes me happy!!

From there I went over to Mission Space and rode the orange (more extreme) version. This is another ride I love, and the line never seems terribly long, since I think people are afraid of it/get sick on it/just don't care for it, which works out for me!

Now, I may have been running around Disney parks for 2 1/2 straight days, with a 10 mile race thrown in there, and a couple late nights, but there is no laziness in my family when it comes to walking!! So, even though I'd already started at Mexico and made it all the way around to Germany, I headed back to World Showcase and started right back towards Mexico again, so I could take a little more time exploring those countries. As I passed through Mexico I stopped back into the temple and had the blood orange margarita from La Cava...quite tasty, I must say, and with a very interesting, kind of spicy rim on the glass!

Some random pics from Japan:

drummers in Japan:

that's one big drum!

and koi pond:

I love the Mitsukoshi Department Store in Japan, it has such fun stuff!!

My Neighbor Totoro chinaware!! (I love Miyazaki movies)

And Studio Ghibli miniature kits!!

I continued on around the World and stopped at the cheese booth for the Cheese Fondue with Sourdough Bread, and Hops & Barley in the American pavilion for the official Festival beer, the 17th Anniversary Festival Beer Samuel Adams® Chocolate Bock. How can you go wrong with chocolate beer?? I had wanted to try one of the lobster items here but I was also trying to avoid going totally broke so I decided to pass this time!

Moving on, I next stopped in the U.K.

English Channel, aka British Revolution band:

Gotta have a Guinness!!

This spot, in the Guinness pic, is one of my favorite places to sit and relax in the World Showcase. It's right behind the quick service fish n chips stand in the U.K., with tables and benches right by the water. So pretty! And at this point, it just felt soooo good to sit and get off my feet for a bit!

So, I was almost done with my World tour! My last items were the Lobster and Seafood Fishermans Pie from Ireland, which was pretty tasty....

...and then on to Canada...

....for the Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup (also served in the restaurant in Canada, Le Cellier), which is awesomely delicious!

At this point, I had some time to kill before my 7:50pm reservation at Rose & Crown Pub in the U.K. so I decided to head over to Spaceship Earth for a second ride. Why not, right?

Afrofabulous!

Apparently, Disney is very open-minded. This time around I get to marry a girl! And with blue hair no less!

As I was exiting the ride I noticed the sky was looking ominous so I started heading back to the U.K. Right as I arrived at the pub, still about 15 minutes early for my reservation, the skies opened up, so I very luckily managed to squeeze inside the pub and not get soaking wet right before dinner!

Right around the time I needed to check in the rain fortunately had mostly let up, since the check-in for the restaurant portion is outside and uncovered!

I had a lovely little table to myself inside, and enjoyed a delicious dinner of fish and chips (thoroughly saturated with malt vinegar!) and Boddington's Pub Ale.

I finished my dinner and paid my bill with perfect timing, about 5 minutes before the start of IllumiNations at 9pm! So I headed outside to the patio behind the restaurant, right on the water, and had a wonderful, uncrowded, unobstructed view of my absolute favorite Disney fireworks show! I don't know what it is, but I just LOVE this show, and the music for it is some of my all-time favorite music!

So, at this point, the park was 'closed' (@9pm), but ever since the ride Test Track has been closed for it's extensive refurbishment they've been keeping Soarin' and Living With the Land open until 10pm!! They do publish this on the times guide but I think a lot of people don't notice it, and a lot of people are just rushing to get out of the park after the fireworks. So, I booked it over to The Land Pavillion, as the majority of the people were booking it out of the park and literally walked onto Soarin', walked right off, and then walked right onto Living With the Land, which was running practically empty. What a great way to end the night, on an almost empty boat ride, legs propped up in front of me, drifting through the totally relaxing Living With the Land ride, right after having walked onto one of the rides at Disney that has THE longest wait times!!

I made my leisurely way over to the buses, hopped on mine, and headed off to my well-earned rest!

Announcing, the dazzling conclusion, coming soon, Day 4 at Animal Kingdom!

My awesomely awesome first ever solo trip to the World trip report! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post46328869

Past WDW trips:'86 off-prop., '89 CBR, '94 CBR, '99 off-prop., '01 ASMusic, '01 CBR, '07 ASMusic, '08 PC, '09 3 nights POFQ, 4 nights Wonder, '10 6 nights AKL, '12 AS Sports w/ToT 10 Miler
Previous cruises: RCCL Enchantment of the Seas w/Metro Dance 11/08 (maybe you saw us perform in the theater!)
Old 10-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #19
DisneyBelle27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
Isn't it crazy how easy it is to wake up in the morning in WDW? I always have such a hard time at home, but there NO PROBLEM!

I adore the F&W festival. It's my absolute favorite time of year to go. Mostly because I can partake in libations and feel okay with it because everyone else is doing it!
OMG, I know! The only place I'm ever a morning person is WDW!!

And I absolutely loved my first F&W Festival! I can't wait to go back!!

Old 10-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #20
disney_runner
Mouseketeer

Thoroughly impressed with your adventures this day! Last year, after doing the W&D Half, I was so wiped out the next day. You're a trooper!

Oh that rain! We were at MNSSHP that night, waiting out the rain at Woody's dance party. It seemed to take forever! Well, it very much delayed the first parade - may have actually canceled it, I'm not entirely sure. Glad you could take cover in the bar. That would have been much better for me. Oh well.

Medals received: 2008 WDW Half ~ 2010 Princess Half + 2010 Disneyland Half = Coast to Coast ~ 2011 WDW Full ~ 2011 Wine & Dine Half ~ 2012 WDW Marathon Relay ~ 2012 Expedition Everest Challenge ~ 2013 Goofy Challenge ~ 2013 Dumbo Double Dare + C2C

Medals pending: 2014 ToT 10 miler, 2015 Dopey Challenge, 2017 January Half w/daughter, 2018 Glass Slipper Challenge, 2018 Tinkerbell Half, Avengers Half??
Old 10-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #21
raraavis
Mouseketeer

i have a quick question. you mentioned that after the race, you just used some wipes to clean up and then change clothes. what were the wipes? are they like "wet ones" or something specifically for runners? i ask because the wet ones are more like wet naps. i am trying to find something to carry in my purse because we are going from a full day at MK to a dessert party at epcot, and we won't have time to go back to the hotel and shower/change. any suggestions? thanks!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #22
DisneyBelle27
DIS Veteran

So, I just realized I've been totally horrible and not finished my trip report! Life has just gotten really busy, with a new job, and other such things. So, I promise, that today I will finally get this on track and finish up my last day. Really, I swear!!

Old 01-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #23
DisneyBelle27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by raraavis View Post
i have a quick question. you mentioned that after the race, you just used some wipes to clean up and then change clothes. what were the wipes? are they like "wet ones" or something specifically for runners? i ask because the wet ones are more like wet naps. i am trying to find something to carry in my purse because we are going from a full day at MK to a dessert party at epcot, and we won't have time to go back to the hotel and shower/change. any suggestions? thanks!
In answer to this, it wasn't any special runner product, I believe they were Charmin' brand, I picked them out at a Harmon Discount Health & Beauty Supplies store.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #24
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Love you TR....Great pics!
Old 01-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #25
DisneyBelle27
DIS Veteran

Day 4 In which our intrepid explorer arises for her very last day of her trip (sad face) but spends it at one of her favorite parks (happy face)!

Yay for Animal Kingdom!!

The dragon on this sign always makes me a little sad, since I really wish they'd actually build Beastly Kingdom!! It would be sooo cool!

Anyway, this was the last day of my mini trip, but my flight wasn't until the evening so I had plenty of time to wander through one of my FAVE Disney parks.

One of the reasons I love this park so much is the amazing attention to detail in it. I could probably spend a whole day here, just wandering around observing, not going on a single ride, and be perfectly content. However, the rides are awesome too!

Here's one of my favorite queues for one of my favorite rides, Expedition Everest. The queue is really a mini museum, there's so many awesome things in it!

Oh noes!! The yeti!! Lol

Wow, that was a lot of queue pics, lol.

So yeah, EE is one of my favorite Disney rides. The theming is awesome and the ride itself is a blast, especially the backwards part!

Next up is another great show at AK that I feel is often completely forgotten about, Flights of Wonder. It's a live show all about birds. It has a pretty funny storyline featuring an entertaining "tour guide" with a bird phobia, but what I really like about it is the focus on behaviors that are already natural for the birds, rather than just teaching them stupid, unnatural tricks.

The show is entertaining and educational, and has some really fun audience interactions and close bird fly-bys. If you get really lucky, you'll also have a super cool photo op at one point!

Sadly, I don't have many pics, but I do have one of my fave birds that they bring out for people to see after the show is over:

this is the spectacled owl!

Another great thing to check out when you're here is the Tree of Life.

As cool as it looks from a distance:

It's even cooler up close!!

(hope you noticed the walrus!)

Make sure to check out the trails around the base of the Tree of Life to really get a look at all the amazing animals sculpted into it!

And speaking of trails, there are two excellent animal viewing trails to explore to your heart's content. The first one is in Africa, and is called the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail. Among the many awesome animals you'll see along this trail are colobus monkeys, okapi, hippos, meerkats, and gorillas!

There's also some fun entertainment opportunities throughout the park.

Here's a neat musical group in Africa:

Next up, part 2 of day 4, featuring lunch at Tusker House, lots of animals, and a tasty treat!

Last edited by DisneyBelle27; 07-08-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #26
DisneyBelle27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Love you TR....Great pics!
Thanks so much!

Old 01-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #27
DisneyBelle27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney_runner View Post
Thoroughly impressed with your adventures this day! Last year, after doing the W&D Half, I was so wiped out the next day. You're a trooper!

Oh that rain! We were at MNSSHP that night, waiting out the rain at Woody's dance party. It seemed to take forever! Well, it very much delayed the first parade - may have actually canceled it, I'm not entirely sure. Glad you could take cover in the bar. That would have been much better for me. Oh well.

Thanks so much!! I was beat, but my Disney excitement overcame any exhaustion, lol.

And yeah, that rain was epic!!!

Tags
food & wine festival, mnsshp, solo, tot 10 miler

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: