Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #2221
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousmockingbird View Post
Just booked a June trip to POR. First time staying there. This thread has totally answered a lot of questions for me! Thanks!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
We just booked a trip for June too I agree!! This thread and the portorleans.org site have been SO fun to peruse!!
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Old 01-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #2222
nannye
DIS Veteran

Last spring when I was planning I remember reading a review or something that listed estimated walking times from place to place at POR. If this rings a bell can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks!

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
July 2012, V and I at POR in a RGR
August 2011, V & I @ POP

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #2223
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesAPirate View Post
Thanks for your reply. I'm not looking for an upgrade. I'm a 'take what ya get' kind of girl. Happy to be booked into a king room. Of course, I will make a location request I was just curious about how upgrades worked. I never go to Disney expecting anything extra -- I'm just happy and grateful that I'm there at all!
I have a pretty cool example about how an upgrade works. I work in facilities management, so it made sense to me.

There are three rooms in inventory; three standard rooms and one riverview room. We are both booked in a standard room.

9:00 am - Maintenance is called, because one of the standard rooms has a maintenance issue with the sink. After assessment, Maintenance lets the resort front desk know the repairs won't be done until around 1 pm.

10:00 am - A value resort calls, due to overbooking, and needs a room. A standard room in a moderate would be an upgrade to that guest, so they give that room to the value resort.

11:00 am - You check in. They give you the last available standard room; waiting for the room out of inventory due to maintenance to come back online.

Noon - Maintenance calls and they are missing a part. The room will be out of inventory until at least 3 pm.

1:00 pm - I check in. The first standard room was given away to another resort; the second standard room was given to you; the last standard room is out of inventory due to maintenance; so rather than have me wait for the standard room, they opt to give me the upgrade.

Always the luck of the draw......and things you never have any control over.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #2224
Momto2PrncChrmgs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjocass
Just found out that the big slide will be closed for maintenance for the whole month of January. Not sure it will even be warm enough to swim but its our first time at this resort and the slide looked awesome....well, at least the rest of the pool will be open. Also, we are checking in on the 18th, is it ok to fax my request on the 16th?
Seriously??? I hadn't heard this. We check in this Friday!

1977-Off Site May 2000-Off Site April/May 2005-ASMo May 2007-POP May 2008-POP Jan. 2009-CBR Jan. 2011-POP Jan. 2013-POR Sept. 2014-POP
Old 01-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #2225
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2PrncChrmgs View Post
Seriously??? I hadn't heard this. We check in this Friday!
The drawbacks of going January/February when attendance is lower. There are a great deal of refurbishments that go on; more than usual.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #2226
snubie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delilah18 View Post
There would be four of us total
DH myself DD4 and DS 2

The two kids I wouldn't put in a bed together they not sleep they would just kick each other all night
We are in a similar situation. Dd 7 and dd 3, I cannot put them in the same bed with each other or wiht one of us. We are bringing an air mattress for the younger one. Hope we can make some room for her.
April 1985 Poly,May 2004 POFQ,Sept 2007 ASMU,Jan 2008 ASMU,May 2009 CBR,Jan 2011 POP - disboutiquers meet, Jan 2013 POR
Old 01-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #2227
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snubie View Post
We are in a similar situation. Dd 7 and dd 3, I cannot put them in the same bed with each other or wiht one of us. We are bringing an air mattress for the younger one. Hope we can make some room for her.
It is definitely doable with a twin air mattress.

There is enough room in the closet to put it up against the wall when not in use.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #2228
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by danicaca View Post
Ok, so now that I see that people are booking other room categories besides standard with the new discount (grr for uninformed CM's) should I upgrade to garden view? What specific upside(s) are there? The only thing I really want is to be close to the main building. This will be our first trip without the stroller, as DD is 5 now - woo hoo! So maybe it is more important to be close to a bus stop? Or maybe I need to quit worrying and just leave it as is? We are currently booked May 28th-June7th in a standard RGR. Thanks in advance!
With all the promotions flying yes Garden view does seem much better. Plus it is a little better than looking at the parking lot when you step out of your room. One upside it Garden views sometimes can have a view of the beautiful fountains, or water streams that go buy. Garden views rooms are pretty much centralized so walking to the main building or directly to a bus stop are about the same distance. Royal Guest rooms I would try for a Oak Building GV with a view of the main waterfall. But if you have any trouble you can always message me if you have any questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjocass View Post
Just found out that the big slide will be closed for maintenance for the whole month of January. Not sure it will even be warm enough to swim but its our first time at this resort and the slide looked awesome....well, at least the rest of the pool will be open. Also, we are checking in on the 18th, is it ok to fax my request on the 16th?
It does happen because of the slower attendance during those months. You can fax your requests in anytime under 30days because they show up in the system by then. But I would do it anytime around say 1-2 weeks out, gives them more time to map out a possibility if your request can be achieved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
Last spring when I was planning I remember reading a review or something that listed estimated walking times from place to place at POR. If this rings a bell can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks!
Well as most on here would say, you can be anywhere on property in about 5-7 minutes give or take sight seeing. But I do remember seeing something somewhere that I believe Andre might have done, but I can't find it at the moment.

-------------------------------------

ShesAPirate

Stop stressing! King bed is pretty good. The Royals only have Queens so it is up to you to try and re-book or inquire about it. But that is up to you. But Relax sip some wine or something lol. Also above all don't let the big bad posts here start to sound bad to you. It has a way of getting to you.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #2229
famousmockingbird
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
We just booked a trip for June too I agree!! This thread and the portorleans.org site have been SO fun to peruse!!
Yes! I spent a LONG time last night looking at pictures. We're first week of June...you?
Old 01-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #2230
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
It is definitely doable with a twin air mattress.

There is enough room in the closet to put it up against the wall when not in use.
Yeah I agree with you on this. Someone sent me a pic of this setup and it seemed to work.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #2231
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousmockingbird View Post
Yes! I spent a LONG time last night looking at pictures. We're first week of June...you?
There is always the guest photos here to help if you haven't seen this thread already!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1730158
Old 01-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #2232
ShesAPirate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
ShesAPirate

Stop stressing! King bed is pretty good. The Royals only have Queens so it is up to you to try and re-book or inquire about it. But that is up to you. But Relax sip some wine or something lol. Also above all don't let the big bad posts here start to sound bad to you. It has a way of getting to you.
Hahaha, thank you! It's not so much stress as it is excitement. And I tend to over-think things... I'm sure we'll be happy in a king room. Like I said, we'll just be happy to be there!

And I will be sipping some wine as soon as I'm done with these stupid antibiotics (sinus infection). Can't wait!
Old 01-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #2233
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Hahaha, thank you! It's not so much stress as it is excitement. And I tend to over-think things... I'm sure we'll be happy in a king room. Like I said, we'll just be happy to be there!

And I will be sipping some wine as soon as I'm done with these stupid antibiotics (sinus infection). Can't wait!
Yeah I hear ya. I had a cough so bad today that it literally felt I had pushed all the air out of my body and I was going to fall out. Wow don't know where it came from. But looked in the mirror and I looked blueish. Now I am good again but it was not fun to feel like that.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #2234
Canooknic
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Oh no!! I had one over Easter, I feel for you xx
I had my first 'Christmas' drink last night with my fiancé (he was sick just before christmas and I've been in bed for over a week with flu!!)
All healthy now and counting down to February 6th!!!!!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #2235
danicaca
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
With all the promotions flying yes Garden view does seem much better. Plus it is a little better than looking at the parking lot when you step out of your room. One upside it Garden views sometimes can have a view of the beautiful fountains, or water streams that go buy. Garden views rooms are pretty much centralized so walking to the main building or directly to a bus stop are about the same distance. Royal Guest rooms I would try for a Oak Building GV with a view of the main waterfall. But if you have any trouble you can always message me if you have any questions.

Thanks! I will call this afternoon to see if I can upgrade. Should not be a huge price difference. I think even River View was only $250 more! I already put a request on my reservation for Oak Manor, close to main building, but I suppose I could change that when I call too? Then, fax the same request 5 days or so out? Thanks again for all of your help!
No countdown for now, but a trip in December of this year or perhaps next is in the works - woo hoo!
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: