Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #91
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

Sorry I fell off of the face of the Earth for a week, guys! It was that time of year for me again: Birthday time! True turned 10 on Wednesday and Coy turned 14 yesterday! So I’ve been busy planning, shopping, decorating, and eating cake! The kids had good birthdays, though, so that is all that matters. I’ll try to post a few pictures soon, but first I need to post some replies and get caught up on some PTRs and TRs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksdave View Post
Just got back from a long weekend. WWOHP is amazing. We decided to do Studios our first day, then went to Jimmy Buffett's for dinner. It rained while we were there, so IOA basically emptied out. We went into IOA about an hour and a half before closing. It was already dusk and was pretty much dark by the time we got to WWOHP. Seeing it for the first time with all the lights on was awesome!!! The snow looked so real and Hogwarts castle seemed huge! We took a real slow walk through the entire queue of FJ, stopping to enjoy all of the sites, and then my wife and son rode the ride with absolutely no wait. My motion sickness prevented me riding it, but I got to stand on the load/unload platform and watch the reactions of those coming off the ride.
Another tip: the "people dryers" are a novel concept, but a bit pricey ($5.00). The restrooms in IOA now have really powerful Dyson hand dryers. After my son and I rode The River Adventure ride in the first row, we were drenched! We went to the restroom and were able to dry our shirts completely in the hand dryers in about 3 - 4 minutes!

I’m glad you joined in! It sounds like you and your family had a great time at UO! I can’t wait to see WWoHP at night! It sounds gorgeous! That’s good to know that the hand dryers seem to work as well as the “people dryers”

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastgirl View Post
Erin, meant to reply earlier but got busy...Love the ideas for the shirts, again you leave me in the dust! I was thinking one matching set... The name fills are really cool, well done!! I think I could play with that indefinitely, so I am better off just waaaalking away slowly...

I was thinking I'd order Amy's transfers. (Yes, you remembered right. I have her site bookmarked, I think she's not allowed to talk about it anymore! ) I couldn't tell you which brands I've used, but long term the results are only meh. I used them on a stretchier fabric for dd and I, more of a fine rib like a ladies' t would normally be, and they cracked like crazy. (I know I have purchased them both at Wal Mart and Michael's.) I'd be surprised if I haven't used Avery brand but I can't remember the details! But they are fine for use and for, you know, the length of a vacation. Most of my "vacation" shirts are now my "housecleaning" shirts, as it's hard to find a suitable occasion to wear them at home!!

The first couple of times I bought the shirts at Michael's, and the quality is fine, but for dd and I the cut is just weird. I hate those really high necks and totally square cut bodies. Last couple of times I cruised Wal Mart and Zeller's (Cdn chain, somewhere between Wal Mart and Target) for cheap ladies' t's in a better cut. I can usually find a plain t for around $5. Last time we all did white, it will be harder to find matching colours when I am buying regular cut for the guys and ladies'/girls for us. Dd is a tall 10 now, so I should be able to buy her a ladies' small at least rather than searching the girls' dept as well.

Anyway, don't forget to post your results when you get them done!

Thanks, JoAnne! Yes, it is easy to lose a whole afternoon doing these designs! It’s too late for me... Save yourself! You and someone else verified that it was Amy’s transfers that were on the boards before, so I got the link and I will have to order some. The person who used Amy’s transfers said they were the only ones that didn’t crack on her shirts Oh, do the Michael’s shirts have a high neckline? Ugh! I always feel like I am choking when I wear shirts like that! Thanks for the tip! Yeah, I’ll have to check out Wal-Mart or Target to see if I can find some matching shirts for the three of us.

Disney Every Day - An October 2014 PTR
Tink-erin-belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #92
coastgirl
DIS Veteran

You may have a better selection at Michael's in the US. Here they have a full range of sizes and colours in the "unisex" style, which is the high ribbed crewneck ("man t's"). They also usually have a baby-doll style that's more fitted with a scoop neck, but here you're lucky to find the ladies' style in white. Thanks for the feedback on the transfers, glad to hear from someone who's used them that they don't crack. That seals it, I'll order some from her.

Happy birthday to your kids! No more single digits. My dd turned 10 in February, and it kinda made me sad... Lovely to see the young lady emerge, but sad to see the little kid drifting away. Maybe I'll have to make her ride a carousel with me while we're in Orlando. ("Mooo-ooom!")

1st trip May/June 06
Jan/Feb 07, same crew at CBR. DCL Magic Eastern Dec 07 CSR Sept 2009
Universal/WWoHP in Sunset Lakes villa Feb 2010 Same again Aug 2013 in Emerald Island villa

PTR/TR Without the Mouse Round 2
TR: First visit to Universal/SeaWorld Feb 2011
coastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #93
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

Breakfast AND Dinner at WCC?

I just made another ADR change. For our Sea World day, I made an ADR for breakfast at Whispering Canyon Café. “But, Erin,” you may ask, “Don’t you already have a dinner ADR at Whispering Canyon Café for that day?” Yes, I do, but I was having one of my famous sugar crashes and I was looking at a TR where the family had breakfast at WCC and I just HAD to get an ADR there!!! Just like you shouldn’t go to the grocery store when you are hungry, you shouldn’t read TRs when you are hungry! You might just see something that will turn your plans upside-down! So, the plan is to go to WCC at 7:30 am, get to Sea World as close to 9am as possible and go from there. I was feeling uneasy about the combination of not having a substantial breakfast before going to Sea World and being unfamiliar with the lunch options there. If we have a good breakfast, we will be full for most of the morning and we probably won’t feel rushed to pick a place for lunch in Sea World. A hungry mommy is a cranky mommy, and no one wants that! Wait! I mean the kids are cranky when they are hungry! Yeah, the kids! Not me! OK, we are all pretty bad when we are hungry, but I am by far the worst!

I am almost positive that I will cancel our dinner ADR there. It would be crazy to have breakfast AND dinner there, right? Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I realize that I should probably cancel the dinner ADR. It’ll also make it so we are not as rushed to leave the park to get back for dinner. Plus, it’ll leave our evening free. I’m going take the weekend to think about it because I don’t want to be an ADR hoarder! I don’t want to keep an ADR that someone else might need!

In other news, I’m going to Vancouver in September!!! I have to go to a conference for my job, so I will be in Vancouver, B.C. for about four days! I’ve never been to a conference with this job, so I have no idea how much of my day will be scheduled, but whatever free time I have, you can be sure I will be checking out the city! I am so excited! I love Canada! I have been to Montreal, Toronto and the Canadian side of Niagara Falls, but Vancouver is clear across the country, so I have never been there. So, my DISbuddies, can any of you tell me what you would do if you had a couple of evenings to tour Vancouver? Any restaurants? Any museums that might be open a little later? Any places to see great architecture? Any places to meet hot Canadian guys?

Of course, this means I have to get a passport. The last time I traveled to Canada, a passport wasn’t required. The only other time I have been out of the country was when I went to Jamaica about 16 years ago. So, no, I don’t have a passport I’ve always wanted one because I have always wanted to travel internationally, but it just hasn’t happened yet. So I am going to get mine and I am going to get passports for the kids, as well. No, they aren’t going on this trip (and, boy, are they jealous!) but I wanted for us to all get our passports at the same time so that we can all renew them at the same time. Considering that they are 14 and 10, it seems kinda silly because they will be grown before they need to renew their passports, but I am OCD in that way where I like to do things all at once BUT…bringing it back to Disney, as always, once the kids have their passports, we will be free to travel anywhere we like! Maybe we can take a Disney cruise! Coy has always wanted to, but True doesn’t want to do this because she has a thing with boats now. It’s understandable, though. Her dad took her and Coy fishing one day last summer and they got caught in a storm. Why he would take them fishing on a day when bad weather was forecasted, I will never know. Thank goodness everyone was OK. But now she doesn’t want to get on a boat. Her dad was even supposed to take them deep sea fishing this summer, but she already told him that she doesn’t want to go because she doesn’t want to get on a boat. Poor thing! I’m going to try to ease her back into feeling comfortable on boats this summer, but we’ll see. I’ve also started talking to her about a cruise and telling her a cruise ship isn’t exactly a boat and more like a floating city, but she isn’t buying it

I have also looked at Adventures by Disney. You guys are probably like, “Why is everything Disney related?” Wait. No you’re not. This is the DIS so you understand! I think Disney is a wonderful travel brand, so I think that the first time we travel abroad, I’d want to do it with them. I looked into one of their tours once that covered parts of England and France. It looked amazing! English men and French food! Oh, wait, I’ll be travelling with my kids… Harry Potter and French food Those trips and flights are a bit expensive, though, so it might be a couple of years until I can really plan one. For now, I might be able to look into a cruise for next year or maybe I can drive the kids up to Canada next summer. I’m just excited about all of the possibilities!

Old 04-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #94
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastgirl View Post
You may have a better selection at Michael's in the US. Here they have a full range of sizes and colours in the "unisex" style, which is the high ribbed crewneck ("man t's"). They also usually have a baby-doll style that's more fitted with a scoop neck, but here you're lucky to find the ladies' style in white. Thanks for the feedback on the transfers, glad to hear from someone who's used them that they don't crack. That seals it, I'll order some from her.

Happy birthday to your kids! No more single digits. My dd turned 10 in February, and it kinda made me sad... Lovely to see the young lady emerge, but sad to see the little kid drifting away. Maybe I'll have to make her ride a carousel with me while we're in Orlando. ("Mooo-ooom!")

I’m going to Michaels tomorrow, so I am going to take a look at their t-shirt selection

Isn’t it so bittersweet when the kids reach double digits? My baby has been a “diva” for a long time ( ) but now I can see she is also becoming a young lady. I think the carousel is a must!

Old 07-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #95
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

Finally! An Update!

Hi, guys! It’s surprising to hear from me on a Monday, huh? Today is so crazy, but I had to find a moment to update since I finally have SOMETHING to update! Well, it isn’t so much as an update as it is a confirmation that WE WILL BE GOING TO DISNEY WORLD IN AUGUST!!! I am so happy that I didn’t have to cancel! This is what happened:

On Thursday, I was talking to my boss’ boss during our normal one on one session and she asked me when I was taking vacation. I told her that the plan was to go the week before Labor Day, but I was concerned that I would have to cancel because of the big project that we have coming up and the fact that my boss may or may not be in the office. Long story short, she basically said that there was no way she was letting me cancel my vacation! She asked me to give her a little bit of time to see what she could do to make sure that it would work out, because she didn’t want to see me give up on something so important. First thing Friday morning – and I mean literally as soon as she walked in the door – she came up to me and said that she worked it out so that I could go on vacation as planned! Yes! So I am officially 53 days out from our vacation! I put the countdown app on my phone, I renewed my subscription to touringplans.com – the Disney World side and the Universal side – and I got the Touring Plans “Lines” apps for Disney and Universal as well! THEN when I got home on Friday, I had my $150 American Express gift card that I was waiting on from upgrading my family’s Sprint phones! THEN when I was going through some mail that I didn’t really look at before, I realized that I also got my Landry’s gift card from My Points! This was shaping up to be a good weekend!

So, since I had my “free money” in my hot little hand, I thought I would finally talk about tip money! Since the dining plan covers everything but the tips for the wait staff, I need to budget for them. Plus, I need to budget for tips as well as the full cost of the meal for any meals we are having at Universal. I like to over-budget. Does anyone else do this? I’ll look at the menu and pick out the most expensive thing on there so that I know that anything on the menu is within our budget. The exception is if the most expensive thing is something none of us like. For example, the most expensive appetizer on the Mythos menu is the shrimp cocktail for $9.99. Well, the kids and I don’t like shrimp cocktail, so the next most expensive app is the tempura shrimp at $8.99. I do it this way so that I don’t have to plan our meals out in advance More than likely, all three of us won’t be eating an appetizer, a main course, a dessert, and a specialty drink at every meal, but I budget it out in case we do. This includes meals that are on the dining plan – like our meal at Sci-fi – that has things on the menu that we might like to try even if they aren’t on the dining plan – like the cool drinks with the light-up ice cubes! Then I calculate the maximum tip I will give based on that – so 20% of the total cost of the meal. I’ve never paid for a meal at Universal, so I don’t know if each server will earn the full 20% tip, but I have always given a 20% tip to each server I have had in Disney World. I think I am just generous when I go on vacation! But I was a bartender in my life before kids and I was a waitress for a whole three weeks (I couldn’t take it! ) so I know how hard waiters work, so I usually tip well. Anyway, I created this spreadsheet:

This is a screenshot from my phone. I think that I need to make a few more charts and keep them on my phone! It’ll be an easy way to keep all of my ADRs in one place! In any case, I have to fill my tip envelopes with cash for all of the tips I need, and I need to make sure I have enough gift cards for the meals at Universal. I’m sure that sheet looks excessive, with $16 drinks and things like that on it! But, considering that we haven’t been on an Orlando vacation in so many years, I think we deserve to splurge! And if we don’t splurge, the extra tip/meal money will just be going into the souvenir budget!

Old 07-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #96
coastgirl
DIS Veteran

Oh, wow, I'm impressed! I have a general budget but I tend to (looking vainly for a "see no evil" icon...) um, overlook some of those details!

Great news on the confirmation from work. I started a new job a few weeks ago, and had a bit of a tremulous moment when I submitted my request (in the past I've cleared that up at the interview stage! ), but thank goodness I didn't have to wrestle anyone for the time off!

And found money, woohoo! Gotta like that.

1st trip May/June 06
Jan/Feb 07, same crew at CBR. DCL Magic Eastern Dec 07 CSR Sept 2009
Universal/WWoHP in Sunset Lakes villa Feb 2010 Same again Aug 2013 in Emerald Island villa

PTR/TR Without the Mouse Round 2
TR: First visit to Universal/SeaWorld Feb 2011
coastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: