Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #16
KatieElizabeth
Earning My Ears

Hello! I am new to DisBoards and a UO enthusiast I loved reading your PTR and if you don't mind, I wanted to offer some advice/feedback for someone who is new to UOR! Disaster is basically the same ride you rode 20 years ago, except back then it was called Earthquake. I never rode it when it was Earthquake, however, I hear it is essentially the same thing.

Definitely check out Animal Actors on Location, it is super fun and they have the animals that were actually in major films performing stunts. Beetlejuice's Graveyard Revue is a good show, but if you didn't like Beetlejuice you may not enjoy it. It does feature other creatures such as Dracula but also be warned it can be very, very loud.

As for The Amazing Adventures of Spider-man, you should definitely check out the newest film. It's a re-do so the origin story is repeated but Spiderman himself is a closer representation of the comic book Spiderman. It's very well done.

High in the Sky Trolley at Seuss Landing does indeed have a different view for each track. The lines are usually short - about 10-15 mins, so if you like it the first time and want to see the second, it should be quick. At the Jurassic Park Discovery Center, make sure you stick around to see a hatching, it's very cool, kids and kids-at-heart will love it (I sure did ).

When it comes to WWoHP, both lines for FJ and Ollivanders can get pretty long. I'd say Ollivanders first because the wait for that can be very boring. The show is worth it - Ollivander's assistant is always brilliant and my tip for getting chosen is to be the most excited person in the room. They tend to pick either young children or whomever seems the most excited to be there. Forbidden Journey is worth any wait time, especially if you aren't sure if you will have time for the Castle Tour (also keeping in mind that some days they don't have the Tour line open, especially if it's busy. I've heard if the wait is over 60 minutes, they won't open the Tour line). You also miss a bit of the castle on the tour line, as it only goes inside. My recommendation is to go through when the wait is 30-90 minutes long. The attention to detail is amazing and there are a few preshows you will not want to miss!

Eat at the Three Broomsticks. The food is really good, in my opinion. If you don't want to fight the lunch and dinner lines, breakfast there is also very good. Make sure to get your Butterbeer from either Three Broomsticks or the Hogs Head, not the carts outside. For some reason, it's just a little different.

Sorry for rambling so much! Looking forward to hearing more about your trip!
KatieElizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #17
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

Sorry I have been MIA from the boards for a while! I didnít mean to be gone for this long! I have a good excuse, though. We moved!!! I had been looking for a new rental for about two months and I finally found one about a month ago. I got everything finalized about two weeks ago and we finally moved in on Saturday, October 6th. Actually, that isnít true. I signed the lease and started moving stuff in on Wednesday, the 3rd and we basically did a marathon move for four days straight! We are still living out of boxes for the most part because it takes FOREVER to move a whole house! Ugh! The kids and I love it, though, so it is totally worth it! You know how on The Incredibles when Helen calls her hubby and says, ďItís official! We are finally moved in,Ē because she just unpacked the last box? And remember how he says something like they moved two years ago? Yeah, Iím afraid that is going to happen to me! Iím doing my best not to let it be two years until I unpack the last box! Although, we lived in my last house for a little over three years and there were a few boxes that were still left from the last move! That was mostly because we didnít have the space to put out some of my stuff, though. We had a good sized house but it still wasnít big enough for the three of us. I actually considered buying the house because my kids and I loved it so much, but it was becoming clear that we were outgrowing it. So I did something crazy and I started looking for houses that were even farther out into the suburbs than we already lived. We moved about 45 minutes away from our last house and it has made all of the difference! We still have three bedrooms and three levels, but the square footage is bigger, the deck is bigger and the back yard is WAY bigger! There is even a little plot where the kids and I can start a little garden Iím going to have to ask my mom for help with that because I am horrible with keeping plants alive! True is actually pretty good, so maybe I can have both of them teach me how not to kill plants The best part about the new house is that it is $200 cheaper per month! Oh yeah! Bigger and cheaper? Mama likes the sound of that! My commute is a little bit longer Ė surprisingly, it is only about 15 minutes longer Ė but I can still take public transportation. I also have to talk to my boss when he gets back into town and see if I can telecommute. A lot of the people at my job telecommute because ďthe greenest commute is no commuteĒ It would be great if I could telecommute a few days a week. That would allow me to spend more time at home with the kids and it would take some of the pressure off of my mom to be with the kids every day.

Anyway, I planned on updating over this past weekend, but I got sick and I missed two days of work! The kids were at their dadís over the weekend, so I used the opportunity to rest. I think it was the combination of the stress from the move and the fact that I wasnít getting much sleep that caused me to get sick. I slept so late on Saturday and I ended up feeling a lot better by Sunday. Then when I got to work yesterday, I saw the piles of projects that I had to get caught up on from being out two days! So no DIS for me yesterday! If I can get approved for telecommuting, I will be able to work from home on days that I am sick, so I wonít get so far behind and I wonít have to burn a sick day. Anyway, Iím almost caught up with everything at work now, so I figured that I could at least reply to your posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieElizabeth View Post
Hello! I am new to DisBoards and a UO enthusiast I loved reading your PTR and if you don't mind, I wanted to offer some advice/feedback for someone who is new to UOR! Disaster is basically the same ride you rode 20 years ago, except back then it was called Earthquake. I never rode it when it was Earthquake, however, I hear it is essentially the same thing.

Definitely check out Animal Actors on Location, it is super fun and they have the animals that were actually in major films performing stunts. Beetlejuice's Graveyard Revue is a good show, but if you didn't like Beetlejuice you may not enjoy it. It does feature other creatures such as Dracula but also be warned it can be very, very loud.

As for The Amazing Adventures of Spider-man, you should definitely check out the newest film. It's a re-do so the origin story is repeated but Spiderman himself is a closer representation of the comic book Spiderman. It's very well done.

High in the Sky Trolley at Seuss Landing does indeed have a different view for each track. The lines are usually short - about 10-15 mins, so if you like it the first time and want to see the second, it should be quick. At the Jurassic Park Discovery Center, make sure you stick around to see a hatching, it's very cool, kids and kids-at-heart will love it (I sure did ).

When it comes to WWoHP, both lines for FJ and Ollivanders can get pretty long. I'd say Ollivanders first because the wait for that can be very boring. The show is worth it - Ollivander's assistant is always brilliant and my tip for getting chosen is to be the most excited person in the room. They tend to pick either young children or whomever seems the most excited to be there. Forbidden Journey is worth any wait time, especially if you aren't sure if you will have time for the Castle Tour (also keeping in mind that some days they don't have the Tour line open, especially if it's busy. I've heard if the wait is over 60 minutes, they won't open the Tour line). You also miss a bit of the castle on the tour line, as it only goes inside. My recommendation is to go through when the wait is 30-90 minutes long. The attention to detail is amazing and there are a few preshows you will not want to miss!

Eat at the Three Broomsticks. The food is really good, in my opinion. If you don't want to fight the lunch and dinner lines, breakfast there is also very good. Make sure to get your Butterbeer from either Three Broomsticks or the Hogs Head, not the carts outside. For some reason, it's just a little different.

Sorry for rambling so much! Looking forward to hearing more about your trip!

Thanks for joining in! OK, so Disaster = Earthquake? Cool! I used to like that ride Thanks for the tips on the shows! I think my kids and I will really enjoy them. Another thumbs up for the new Spiderman movie, huh? I guess we have to go see it! I really want to see an egg hatch at the Jurassic Park Discovery Center. I think my kids will get a kick out of that too! Thank you for all of the tips about WWoHP! Iíll take all I can get! I donít consider it rambling, but ramble away! I really enjoy it when people share their experiences on my PTR because I can get so many good tips and it helps to build the anticipation for the trip!

Disney Every Day - An October 2014 PTR
Tink-erin-belle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #18
SeptemberGirl
There should be a quiz at the door
Feel free to point out I'm on the Crazy Train

I just did three days at UO, 2 in the parks. We were there last weekend (Oct 12th weekend) so I can't speak to the heat but I can share some tips if you like!

First, I would say stay on property if you can - it was fun. We were at Hard Rock. I liked the hotel. LOVED the pool. Like, l would marry that pool. I have never raved about a hotel pool before. Love love love.

The rooms were fine, rather basic but a nice Keurig to make coffee in the AM. Liked the Beach Club food and the takeaway place. Was not impressed with the Kitchen. But again, the pool! And I live near the beach, so generally this fake beach thing does not impress me.

Wait, did I mention the pool?

My drinking club has a running problem...bring on the bling!
SeptemberGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #19
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeptemberGirl View Post
I just did three days at UO, 2 in the parks. We were there last weekend (Oct 12th weekend) so I can't speak to the heat but I can share some tips if you like!

First, I would say stay on property if you can - it was fun. We were at Hard Rock. I liked the hotel. LOVED the pool. Like, l would marry that pool. I have never raved about a hotel pool before. Love love love.

The rooms were fine, rather basic but a nice Keurig to make coffee in the AM. Liked the Beach Club food and the takeaway place. Was not impressed with the Kitchen. But again, the pool! And I live near the beach, so generally this fake beach thing does not impress me.

Wait, did I mention the pool?

Yeah, but how did you feel about the pool?

Iím glad youíre here and thank you for sharing your experiences! You and the other people who have commented have convinced me to stay on site Iím starting to wonder if my kids might like the Hard Rock a little better than Portofino Bay? Iíll have to do some more research. Did you feel like three days in UO was enough? It seems like a good amount of time for UO. Thatís too bad about the Kitchen, but Iím glad to hear that you liked the resort. Now I have to go check out some pictures of that pool!

Old 10-22-2012, 11:24 PM   #20
SeptemberGirl
There should be a quiz at the door
Feel free to point out I'm on the Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink-erin-belle View Post
Yeah, but how did you feel about the pool?

Iím glad youíre here and thank you for sharing your experiences! You and the other people who have commented have convinced me to stay on site Iím starting to wonder if my kids might like the Hard Rock a little better than Portofino Bay? Iíll have to do some more research. Did you feel like three days in UO was enough? It seems like a good amount of time for UO. Thatís too bad about the Kitchen, but Iím glad to hear that you liked the resort. Now I have to go check out some pictures of that pool!
The thing I really forgot to mention was the pool!

You know when they say that kids remember the hotel pool the best? (I think this is the Unofficial Guide that always writes this!) Yes, yes, that is me!

I have a kiddo but I went with my 41 yr old BFF. And if we are any judge, the HRH is worth it for that fake beach and poolside food. (And cocktails- mocktails for the kids!) It felt like being on one of those relaxing vacations. Park? What Parks? I am used to commando touring but this made us relax. We strolled into HP later in the day and experienced it like normal people probably do. I had nary a touring plan in my hand!

I don't know much about Portofino - we didn't pick it because the description said romantic and she is too recently divorced for that! She was like no happy couples! Again, I found the rooms at HRH a bit lame except for that happy coffee but the outside makes up for it. And there is rock music everywhere. So cool. Like being at a beach resort, then you go ride some rides!

We did 3 days and 2 park days and that was plenty for us. For one, I didn't need to ride everything because it wasn't Disney. I"m attached to WDW. I need to do all the cool rides and all the nostalgia ones and all the shows, etc. Here I didn't need to do much.

We loved HPWW. We loved the Blues Brothers show -well, we are that generation still! It was fun and well done. We skipped anything that was a wait (show) or seemed too intense (Dragon Coasters). But yeah, with EP and going in the AM and evening I think you could do it all in 3 days. The walk from HRH to the parks was super quick! And back from CityWalk, was quick too.

Are you doing a WDW part of this trip too?

My drinking club has a running problem...bring on the bling!
SeptemberGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #21
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

you have a lot of different questions and i am not sure which one to refer to first....

staying on site, read thru the threads on the darkside about the onsite hotels.
basic info there but if you go back more than a year, that info could be outdated.

i came back this month from a 10 day stay onsite.
did that portion of my trip after staying on site at the motherland 8 nights.

yes, i make my vacations long and do both resorts each year back to back.

i have stayed on site at all the darkside hotels.
my favorite is RPH.
PBH has the largest rooms and usually costs the most per night.
it is not my favorite hotel due to the distance from the parks and the onsite restaurants. I get Italian food "out" at times.....
many do adore PBH. we all have different priorities.
go with the hotel that suits you best.

go to the date/rate thread in the main UO forum.
check this years and last years threads on that.

you will get an idea of the room cost others have received.

if you have AAA, you can get 10% discounts off of food and merch at the parks, excluding carts, and city walk.
you can also book w/UO, state you have the AAA and receive a discount off the room.

play around with the numbers on the booking site.
try each hotel for your dates and compare what comes up.

i have received rooms at the rate of $144 a night/+ tax before.

play with the numbers and see if you can come out ahead by staying on site for one night at the darkside.
do a 2 day ticket for you all.

do the motherland trip, and do a one night stay at the darkside.
plan the darkside stay at the end of your motherland stay.

you will likely come out ahead financially.

staying onsite at the darkside gives you hotel perks.
you get early entry, one hour prior to park opening for the parks.
parry hotter section is open for this time period to hotel guests.
FJ (and Ollivanders) does not have express so this is the time you can do that ride w/out long lines.

you get unlimited express line usage during your stay.
if you buy the express pass for a day visit, they are only valid one time per ride or attraction.

go early to the hotel on the day you check in.
i always check in prior to park openings, sometimes i checkin before 7:00 am

you can use the early entry on check in day and check out day.
your belongings can be stored with valet until you are done with the park on check out day.

i know you said you wanted PBH.
just wanted to give you options if you need to cut costs to make this happen.

you can visit any of the other hotels onsite, enjoy their entertainment, pool hop, dine at any of the hotels if you are staying at one of the darkside hotels.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #22
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

30 Day Universal Challenge

I dont have much to plan for our Universal trip right now, so now is the perfect time to do a 30 Day Challenge! I did the 30 Day Disney Photography Challenge on my last PTR and it was a lot of fun. I couldnt find a Universal challenge online, but I did find a Harry Potter challenge. They were mostly about the books, but as much as I love the books, I didnt think it would be as much fun as including all of the rides and the movies depicted at the Universal parks. So I modified the 30 Day Disney Challenge that I am doing on the Disney World version of this PTR and created this challenge. For anyone who wants to play along, here is the list for the 30 Day Universal Challenge:

Day #1 Favorite Universal Character
Day #2 Favorite Universal Princess
Day #3 Favorite Universal Heroine
Day #4 Favorite Universal Prince
Day #5 Favorite Universal Hero
Day #6 Favorite Universal Animal
Day #7 Favorite Universal Sidekick
Day #8 Favorite Universal Villain
Day #9 Favorite Universal Couple
Day #10 Favorite Superhero (Hulk, Captain America, Spiderman etc.)
Day #11 Favorite Universal Song
Day #12 Favorite Universal Love Song
Day #13 Favorite Universal Villain Song
Day #14 Least Favorite Universal Song
Day #15 Favorite Universal Movie Kiss
Day #16 The First Universal Movie You Saw
Day #17 Favorite Universal Classic
Day #18 Least Favorite Universal Classic
Day #19 Favorite Dreamworks Film
Day #20 Least Favorite Dreamworks Film
Day #21 Favorite Universal Sequel
Day #22 An Overrated Universal Movie
Day #23 An Underrated Universal Movie
Day #24 A Universal Movie that Makes You Laugh
Day #25 A Universal Movie that Makes You Cry
Day #26 Favorite Scene from Your Favorite Universal Movie
Day #27 Saddest Death in a Universal Movie
Day #28 Favorite Quote in a Universal Movie
Day #29 Favorite Universal Theme Park
Day #30 Favorite Universal Theme Park Attraction or Ride

Oh! And to make this even more challenging, I am going to try to answer all of these questions with memes! Why do I have to make things so difficult for myself? So, lets start with Day #1

30 Day Universal Challenge: Day #1 Favorite Universal Character

Why, Harry, of course!

Admit it. You sang it while you read it!

Last edited by Tink-erin-belle; 11-01-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #23
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeptemberGirl View Post
The thing I really forgot to mention was the pool!

You know when they say that kids remember the hotel pool the best? (I think this is the Unofficial Guide that always writes this!) Yes, yes, that is me!

I have a kiddo but I went with my 41 yr old BFF. And if we are any judge, the HRH is worth it for that fake beach and poolside food. (And cocktails- mocktails for the kids!) It felt like being on one of those relaxing vacations. Park? What Parks? I am used to commando touring but this made us relax. We strolled into HP later in the day and experienced it like normal people probably do. I had nary a touring plan in my hand!

I don't know much about Portofino - we didn't pick it because the description said romantic and she is too recently divorced for that! She was like no happy couples! Again, I found the rooms at HRH a bit lame except for that happy coffee but the outside makes up for it. And there is rock music everywhere. So cool. Like being at a beach resort, then you go ride some rides!

We did 3 days and 2 park days and that was plenty for us. For one, I didn't need to ride everything because it wasn't Disney. I"m attached to WDW. I need to do all the cool rides and all the nostalgia ones and all the shows, etc. Here I didn't need to do much.

We loved HPWW. We loved the Blues Brothers show -well, we are that generation still! It was fun and well done. We skipped anything that was a wait (show) or seemed too intense (Dragon Coasters). But yeah, with EP and going in the AM and evening I think you could do it all in 3 days. The walk from HRH to the parks was super quick! And back from CityWalk, was quick too.

Are you doing a WDW part of this trip too?

Relaxing by the pool does sound really nice! Iíll love the cocktails and my kids love mocktails. Yeah, we are going to have about a week in WDW after our three days in UO! Iím so excited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraven View Post
you have a lot of different questions and i am not sure which one to refer to first....

staying on site, read thru the threads on the darkside about the onsite hotels.
basic info there but if you go back more than a year, that info could be outdated.

i came back this month from a 10 day stay onsite.
did that portion of my trip after staying on site at the motherland 8 nights.

yes, i make my vacations long and do both resorts each year back to back.

i have stayed on site at all the darkside hotels.
my favorite is RPH.
PBH has the largest rooms and usually costs the most per night.
it is not my favorite hotel due to the distance from the parks and the onsite restaurants. I get Italian food "out" at times.....
many do adore PBH. we all have different priorities.
go with the hotel that suits you best.

go to the date/rate thread in the main UO forum.
check this years and last years threads on that.

you will get an idea of the room cost others have received.

if you have AAA, you can get 10% discounts off of food and merch at the parks, excluding carts, and city walk.
you can also book w/UO, state you have the AAA and receive a discount off the room.

play around with the numbers on the booking site.
try each hotel for your dates and compare what comes up.

i have received rooms at the rate of $144 a night/+ tax before.

play with the numbers and see if you can come out ahead by staying on site for one night at the darkside.
do a 2 day ticket for you all.

do the motherland trip, and do a one night stay at the darkside.
plan the darkside stay at the end of your motherland stay.

you will likely come out ahead financially.

staying onsite at the darkside gives you hotel perks.
you get early entry, one hour prior to park opening for the parks.
parry hotter section is open for this time period to hotel guests.
FJ (and Ollivanders) does not have express so this is the time you can do that ride w/out long lines.

you get unlimited express line usage during your stay.
if you buy the express pass for a day visit, they are only valid one time per ride or attraction.

go early to the hotel on the day you check in.
i always check in prior to park openings, sometimes i checkin before 7:00 am

you can use the early entry on check in day and check out day.
your belongings can be stored with valet until you are done with the park on check out day.

i know you said you wanted PBH.
just wanted to give you options if you need to cut costs to make this happen.

you can visit any of the other hotels onsite, enjoy their entertainment, pool hop, dine at any of the hotels if you are staying at one of the darkside hotels.

Wow! Thank you for answering so many of my questions! You had a nice long vacation! I can hardly believe that you have gotten a rate as low as $144 a night before. That is fantastic! I didnít know you could go to the pools of different resorts! That is a definite plus! Thanks for all of the tips!

Old 11-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #24
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

30 Day Universal Challenge: Day #2 Favorite Universal Princess

30 Day Universal Challenge: Day #2 Favorite Universal Princess

Princess Fiona! If you like pina coladas! And getting caught in the rain!

ETA: I love Fiona because she is flawed. She is bossy. She can take care of herself (I love the scene in Shrek with Robin Hood and his Merry Men). She has ridiculous expectations of what True Love should be, just as so many little girls do, but she learns that love can come from an unexpected place.

In other news, I got an email this morning that Universal is opening a Transformers ride in Orlando!

I watched the Transformers with David sometimes when we were kids, but I never really got into it. I was more of a Voltron gal Ive never seen the Transformers movies, but Coy has. Im pretty sure True didnt see them. So, I smell a movie night coming on! I already checked Netflix and they have the Transformers movie that came out in 2011 but not the ones that came out in 2007 and 2009. Im going to check the cable listings to see if they might happen to come on sometime soon, but are they worth buying? I remembered that Coy loved which ever Transformer movie(s) he saw. The trilogy is $25.59 on Amazon (I didnt compare prices anywhere else yet) and thats not a bad price if they are good movies. That is a bad price if the movies are terrible In any case, Im really excited that there is a new attraction coming to UO!

Last edited by Tink-erin-belle; 11-02-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #25
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

30 Day Universal Challenge: Day #3 Favorite Universal Heroine

30 Day Universal Challenge: Day #3 Favorite Universal Heroine

Hermione! I canít put into words how I feel about Hermione. Iíll just say that she is a fantastic role model for little girls, young women and grown women alike!

Old 11-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #26
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

30 Day Universal Challenge: Day #4 Favorite Universal Prince

30 Day Universal Challenge: Day #4 Favorite Universal Prince

Severus Snape! Well, itís a stretch, but he is the Half-Blood Prince!

Snape was one of my favorite characters in HP, even before we learned the truth about his motivations. He was just so mean and nasty. Then, when we saw his memories and how tortured he was, I loved Snape for completely different reasons. When I was looking for memes for him, I found a lot of funny ones, so I have to include a few more:

Old 11-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #27
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

30 Day Universal Challenge: Day #5 Favorite Universal Hero

30 Day Universal Challenge: Day #5 Favorite Universal Hero

The Hulk! I loved him as a kid and I fell in love with him all over again with The Avengers movie!

Old 11-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #28
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

30 Day Universal Challenge: Day #6 Favorite Universal Animal

30 Day Universal Challenge: Day #6 Favorite Universal Animal

Puss in Boots! If only for his overwhelming cuteness!

Old 11-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #29
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

30 Day Universal Challenge: Day #7 Favorite Universal Sidekick

30 Day Universal Challenge: Day #7 Favorite Universal Sidekick

How could it be anyone but Donkey? He is hilarious!

Old 11-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #30
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

30 Day Universal Challenge: Day #8 Favorite Universal Villain

30 Day Universal Challenge: Day #8 Favorite Universal Villain

I wonít say that she is my favorite villain, but she is the one I despised the most: Dolores Umbridge!

Wait! One more!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: