Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #31
addicted2dizney
DIS Veteran

I usually go to one party each year, they check the wrist bands like crazy. tow years ago I was in MK the last night of my stay, we stretched out our rides on the people mover so we got done about 7:01.. we voluntarily walked to the exit and I figured I could just run into the store to pick up a sweat shirt. Nope! A woman the size of a line backer was blocking the door to the gift shop. Told me to head Downtown Disney if I wanted to buy something! My friend laughed at me all night! Kind of reminded us of the old saying when the bar is closing down. "you don't have to go home but you can't stay here!"
addicted2dizney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:42 PM   #32
Laurali
Mouseketeer

We were there for the Sept 11 party this year and had gotten in line for Splash Mountain just as they closed the ride around 630 saying they needed the extra CM's to parole the streets until after the party started. They aren't kidding around with ensuring only wristbands are present!

Laurali is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #33
Suellen
DIS Veteran

Just curious how exactly you determine someone is abusing handicap parking?

As far as bracelets - they work. No bracelet? No ride, food, meet and greets or trick or treating.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #34
Gumbymom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suellen View Post

As far as bracelets - they work. No bracelet? No ride, food, meet and greets or trick or treating.
I've encountered numerous times where there's a care in the handicap parking spot with no placard and I went out and nicely requested that if they didn't have a placard to please move because my DH did have one and need the spot, I've been been told things like, we'll I'm waiting for someone, or we just need to load our groceries or whatever.

I've also seen where the owner of the handicap placard has stayed in the car and one of their passengers ran into the store.

Regarding Costco, by law they can not require a membership to use the pharmacy. I don't know if it depends on the Costco, but I've been told that one isn't needed to use the food court.

If the park closes at 7pm for non-party people, how can they kick you out before 7? Isn't it if you're in a line to a ride before the ride closes, then you can wait in that line until however long it takes to get to the front? So how can they tell me at 6:50 that I have to leave when I have paid until 7pm?
Gumbymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:24 PM   #35
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

Saying that they're closing down one ride early is not kicking you out early. If a ride is open and you get in line at 6:59, you will be allowed to ride. Same thing if you wanted a hot dog from Casey's.

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:28 PM   #36
Suellen
DIS Veteran

Perhaps it was you then that gave my husband dirty looks when picking me up ( in a wheelchair) and he was driving my car and parked in the HC parking so that I could access my car (as a passenger in it) via the wheelchair.

If they are parked there with no placard they aren't abusing it / they are breaking the law.

It is a shame people are so quick to judge others.

As to your question about the park closing - technically you have paid to be in the park until 7:00 - which would mean that you need to be on the other side of the gate by 7:00:01 - so getting in a line at 6:50 would make that virtually impossible. Disney is nice enough on other days to allow you to join lines up until closing time - but technically they don't have to do that - or could let you join the line and then shut the ride down at the exact closing time - meaning you waited in line for no ride. They typically don't do that but technically could.

Last edited by Suellen; 09-24-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Suellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:17 AM   #37
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
People going into the exit door at Costco just to go to the food court. (I have seen people just blowing off the attendants who ask to see their membership card...)
I just don't think that's a good example (and Suellen just gave a great example of how someone waiting in the car in a handicap spot can be using it in a bonafide fashion).

If you're getting a membership, renewing, have questions, or a return, OR you're going to the food court, at my Costco you use the exit. And you don't have to show your card.

The alternative is to go in the entrance, show your card, make your way to the cash registers, find a spot where you can squeeze through, then go the food court or guest services? That makes no sense. You go in the exit.

When we were at the halloween party last year, I didn't care one little bit about how the other people got in. I wasn't looking at anyone's wristband at all. So this sort of question always give me a head tilt, of "why do people care?"

I guess it could be like HHN at Universal, where people have to leave at 5, so that everything can be prepped and there can be holding pens of party-goers... But that means people have to leave at 5! And that's no fun at all.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:38 AM   #38
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

Suellen,

It has been repeatedly said here that you can be in a line for a ride just before 7 PM on a party night and be fine. When they close on non-party nights, they let you finish your ride before you have to leave.

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:58 AM   #39
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Perhaps it was you then that gave my husband dirty looks when picking me up ( in a wheelchair) and he was driving my car and parked in the HC parking so that I could access my car (as a passenger in it) via the wheelchair.

If they are parked there with no placard they aren't abusing it / they are breaking the law.

It is a shame people are so quick to judge others.

As to your question about the park closing - technically you have paid to be in the park until 7:00 - which would mean that you need to be on the other side of the gate by 7:00:01 - so getting in a line at 6:50 would make that virtually impossible. Disney is nice enough on other days to allow you to join lines up until closing time - but technically they don't have to do that - or could let you join the line and then shut the ride down at the exact closing time - meaning you waited in line for no ride. They typically don't do that but technically could.
Sorry, but I don't agree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebug1997 View Post
Suellen,

It has been repeatedly said here that you can be in a line for a ride just before 7 PM on a party night and be fine. When they close on non-party nights, they let you finish your ride before you have to leave.
I'm going to go with juliebug1997 on this one. There is no expectation that guests must be outside of the park by closing time--whether it is a normal night or 7:00p for non-party guests on a party night. In my opinion, non-party guests should be able to do what they like until 7:00p, then exit the park directly.

FastPass+ Basic Information, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:24 AM   #40
mdelaney123
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I park in a commuter lot every day. There is a non-used bus stop in the middle of the lot that has several handicap spaces near it. While I am walking from the back of the lot, I often see people pull into a handicap space, throw a large backpack over their shoulder and RUN 100+ yards to the active bus stop at the front of the lot.

Sorry, but in my definition, they do not qualify for a handicap sticker.

In Northern VA, I would guess that 80% of the people with handicap hangers do not need them and are abusing the system.

Last edited by mdelaney123; 09-25-2012 at 07:41 AM.
mdelaney123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:30 AM   #41
mdelaney123
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post

If you're getting a membership, renewing, have questions, or a return, OR you're going to the food court, at my Costco you use the exit. And you don't have to show your card.

The alternative is to go in the entrance, show your card, make your way to the cash registers, find a spot where you can squeeze through, then go the food court or guest services? That makes no sense. You go in the exit.
I work across from a Costco and eat lunch there often. The food court is somewhat near the exit doors. I see people come in the exit doors and are asked for their card by the ladies checking receipts. There people just keep walking and blowing them off defiantly. I then watch them walk over to the food court to order, eat, and leave.

In the grand scheme of things, no big deal, but, these people are obviously being jerks. The business wants to see the membership card and these people are blatantly flipping them the bird, or just being jerks about showing it.

What-ever. It just seems that there are more and more people like this...
Old 09-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #42
scootch
DIS Veteran

There are still people who cheat the system. A group of 15 from our school had a AAA rep give them a 645pm CP reservation then they just told the kids to keep their hoodies down on their wrists(this was for mvmcp). This was the AAA agents idea!! I can't imagine telling one of my kids to do this. They stayed for the parade, show in front of castle and the fireworks. We had a late end to CRT.. and we walked to the gate in 2011... but friends of ours were at CP at the same time so didn't get walked to the gate.... It was MVMCP night and we had already gone to it twice, so I had no intentions of staying. I was very happy to see us walked out but disappointed to hear that it isn't univeral to all the restaurants. The price of the tickets are hefty and those who pay should get to enjoy it to the fullest. We are doing our first MNSSHP this year. Looking forward to it as we are usually not there during halloween season.
~~Nov 2005 Contemporary
~~November 2006 Contemporary Making memories with my 21 year old niece with cancer
Sweet Lindsey passed March 2007
~~November 2007 WL
~~Nov 08 VWL
~~Nov 09 WDW BLT DiscoveryCove SeaWorld and DCL Wonder
~~April 2011 B2B Disney Dream
~~Nov 2011 WDW/BLT
~~Nov 2012 VWL/ Eastern Fantasy
~~ June 2013 DISNEYLAND/CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE
~~Feb 2014 Contemporary/ Disney Eastern Fantasy
~~Nov 2014 Disney Grand Floridian Villas
scootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:37 AM   #43
mdelaney123
Earning My Ears

Quote:
When we were at the halloween party last year, I didn't care one little bit about how the other people got in. I wasn't looking at anyone's wristband at all. So this sort of question always give me a head tilt, of "why do people care?"
If you are paying for a service that others are getting for free, you wouldn't care?

If Disney did not enforce the party/wristbands and a large number of people just stayed in the park making it so you (who paid to be there) could not do the things you wanted to do, you wouldn't care?

Hmmm....
Old 09-25-2012, 07:43 AM   #44
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
When you try to find a spot to watch the parade and those spots are occupied by people who did not pay the same $60 a head to get in.... you tend to care.

I actually think Disney does a great job with the parties, balancing the need to get day guests out with the need for party guests to know that everyone there actually paid to get in just like they did.

We try to choose MK as our park on our party days as often as possible so all we have to do is swing past the wristband station in the park and can avoid all the crowds near the entrance.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:47 AM   #45
mdelaney123
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
When you try to find a spot to watch the parade and those spots are occupied by people who did not pay the same $60 a head to get in.... you tend to care.

Tags
halloween, honesty, mnsshp

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: