Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast > Podcast Cruises
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
WebmasterJohn
Genius
Maintains the Big Book of Grievances

DISboards Administrator

Time to Talk PCC 4.0 Meets

Hey Gang

On PCC 3.0 Dreams Unlimited Travel and the Podcast Team came up with all of the meets and events. I was thinking that for PCC 4.0 some of you may have some ideas for meets/events.

So far we have (in no particular order and no date/time set yet - still waiting on DCL):

Dave Smith Presentation
Live Podcast Recording
GKTW Fundraiser (details not complete yet but will NOT be a silent auction)

So - any ideas of what you would like to see/do? Keep in mind that if it's a good one and people like you will probably be asked to organize it

WebmasterJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
mdvlprof
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterJohn View Post

So - any ideas of what you would like to see/do? Keep in mind that if it's a good one and people like you will probably be asked to organize it
You want us to suggest things with that caveat?

Karaoke meet
DVC session - ulterior motive of getting DH interested in buying in..
I liked the lunch thing we did at CC on PCC 2.
What is an FE?

MK [and EPCOT under construction] 3/82, WDW 7/99, WDW/DCL 7/02, Indy DIS 9/10, PCC DCL/WDW 12/10Indy DIS 9/11 PCC DCL/WDW 12/12DAP 12/13
Cruised: DCL, CCL, X, RCCL, NCL
mdvlprof is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2012, 12:33 AM   #3
Disney Enabler
It's a great day to be alive!

I would like to see a gathering where could really meet each other. Perhaps we could have an open mike and DISers could come forward, introduce themselves with both their DIS name and their real name, and tell their DIS story or why they have the tag line they have or their favorite DIS moment.

Don't get me wrong - I have loved meeting the Podcast team but getting to put a name to a face might encourage people to feel more comfortable participating in posting on the boards or maybe even venturing into chat or possibly joining a smaller gathering.

Carol
It's a great day to be alive!!!
Disney Enabler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:55 AM   #4
paulasillars
Body in New Zealand, mind in Walt Disney World
Winner of the ABD Potty Olympics

Dis meets

I'd like a mix'n'mingle session - something casual would be cool so we can meet each other and chat - something early on in the cruise would be good.

I love meeting Dis'ers!

paulasillars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Enabler View Post
I would like to see a gathering where could really meet each other. Perhaps we could have an open mike and DISers could come forward, introduce themselves with both their DIS name and their real name, and tell their DIS story or why they have the tag line they have or their favorite DIS moment.
Great suggestion Carol! I'd love something like that.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #6
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

John, For the Dave Smith presentation would it be appropriate to have some prepared questions? Something that Dave could research if necessary before the cruise?
Old 09-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

I really liked the Sail Away Party Meet and the Club Meet that Corey hosted for the adults. I think that these two gave DISers the opportunities to join the group if they wanted to, and they were a lot of fun. .
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
wdwscout

DIS Veteran

These are the ones I know about so far:
ABD meet (past and upcoming trip participants)
Flattie meet
Stateroom Crawl
Mixology session

I happen to be participating in ALL of these!! But I am sure we still have some spots open on our dance card!

I love Carol's idea and would participate in that one as well.

wdwscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
Euphscott
DIS Veteran

Being a first time Podcast cruiser - I am not fully up to speed on what all is entailed (I have listened to the broadcasts, so I'm not totally lost), but any opportunity to get to know folks (especially those in similar demographics) would be positive.

Disney Cruise nightlife can be hit or miss in our experience. But the best times we've had were when we had folks we met that were roughly of the same mindset so we went to similar events, which helped the participation (think 80's night with no one doing anything - or two to three couples showing up and getting involved, then it snowballs).

A poster above mentioned a club meet - not sure this is what I am talking about - but it could be. I think it would be great to find adults (with or without kids - but in our case - without!) of a similar mind, early in the cruise so we can enjoy the multiplied fun.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
mdvlprof
DIS Veteran

I'm all for advertising the cabin/stateroom crawl. The more the merrier.
Mixology group is almost full-up. [Kathy is on my list, so we really need to make sure it doesn't conflict ] Unless we start another group.

[I don't mind keeping lists, or emailing folks. Talking is an effort, tho.]
What is an FE?

MK [and EPCOT under construction] 3/82, WDW 7/99, WDW/DCL 7/02, Indy DIS 9/10, PCC DCL/WDW 12/10Indy DIS 9/11 PCC DCL/WDW 12/12DAP 12/13
Old 09-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #11
LocustPoint
Mouseketeer

Since the cruise is during the holiday season we could always do a "white elephant" gift exchange ala your ABD trip to Italy. Keep the cost low to participate. Could be a fun ice breaker at a meet & greet. Your gift could represent your hometown, etc.

Another idea at a meet & greet is a scavenger hunt. Everyone gives one unique fact about yourself and that is put on a list. During the meet & greet you try to find the people associated with the fact by talking to them. Have small prizes for the people who match the most fact to the person.

Member since 1999
LocustPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #12
wdwscout

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocustPoint View Post
Since the cruise is during the holiday season we could always do a "white elephant" gift exchange ala your ABD trip to Italy. Keep the cost low to participate. Could be a fun ice breaker at a meet & greet. Your gift could represent your hometown, etc.

Another idea at a meet & greet is a scavenger hunt. Everyone gives one unique fact about yourself and that is put on a list. During the meet & greet you try to find the people associated with the fact by talking to them. Have small prizes for the people who match the most fact to the person.
Oooh Mary! Sounds like you might have something to organize!!

I like both ideas. If I had to choose one- it might be the scavenger hunt. I have participated in something like that a few times that used bingo sheets, but this sounds interesting.

wdwscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #13
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocustPoint View Post
We did this on our Med Cruise - we all met on embarcation day (if I remember correctly) and traded gifts. It was a fun way to meet each other, but we were only 68 families who met up.

Quote:
We've done this in the past for other functions I've gone to, and we called this People Bingo, and it is a fun way to get people used to talking to each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphscott View Post
Being a first time Podcast cruiser - I am not fully up to speed on what all is entailed (I have listened to the broadcasts, so I'm not totally lost), but any opportunity to get to know folks (especially those in similar demographics) would be positive.
Welcome! You're going to have a great time.

Quote:
Disney Cruise nightlife can be hit or miss in our experience. But the best times we've had were when we had folks we met that were roughly of the same mindset so we went to similar events, which helped the participation (think 80's night with no one doing anything - or two to three couples showing up and getting involved, then it snowballs).

A poster above mentioned a club meet - not sure this is what I am talking about - but it could be. I think it would be great to find adults (with or without kids - but in our case - without!) of a similar mind, early in the cruise so we can enjoy the multiplied fun.
In the past cruises, there were quite a few of us who got into playing the trivia games and going to the club each night, playing the games, and dancing. Corey and Julie hosted a meet & greet in the club one night, and it was fun because people who normally didn't come hung around. I think this would be fun early in the cruise, so people could get to meet others and feel comfortable joining them later in the cruise.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #14
mdvlprof
DIS Veteran

MaryJo - the scavenger hunt sounds fun.

Clubbing - depends on how tired I feel that night [even 3 years after stroke, I still tire easily].
What is an FE?

Last edited by mdvlprof; 09-18-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #15
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Jo View Post
We did this on our Med Cruise - we all met on embarcation day (if I remember correctly) and traded gifts. It was a fun way to meet each other, but we were only 68 families who met up.
I love this, Mary Jo! "Only" 68 families!

I like the casual mix'n'mingle idea, and I love the "scavenger hunt" also. They actually all sound like good ideas!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: