Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 02:29 PM   #91
FancyNancy
Princess

Those sound like some good adr's right there! You will have to tell me about the Southwest points system sometime. Now that they are flying out of the Jetport I might fly with them on an upcoming trip. Not my April trip but I always have something in the works.

FancyNancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #92
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

We are going to have a Dismeet for sure! I was looking at your schedule and thinking the same thing, ďWeíre all in HS on the evening of the 24th and weíre all in EP on the evening of the 25th!Ē My plan is to stay at POP, but Iíll be honest and tell ya that I was looking at Kelliís (Lovemy3babes) TR and I fell in love with the Royal Rooms at POR! I just got my W-2s as well, so I am not planning on booking until I see what my refund is looking like this year. Usually, I get very little for a refund, but I think I will get a larger refund this time since I was unemployed for a while last year. In any case, I absolutely must book by mid-February, so Iíll let you know what I decide! (in case you canít tell, Iím leaning toward POR )

I am glad that Victoria has a treatment plan in place, even though I know it is hard to see your kid go on meds. It was a very difficult decision for me to let Coy go on meds, but he wanted to try it for his anxiety issues. He also suffered from depression, as you know, and he was put on a medication that I cannot recall right now. It didnít work for him and he didnít stay on it long. He was later put on Prozac, and it helped a little, but it mostly made him extremely tired. He eventually refused to go to therapy and he was missing a lot of school. We may have eventually found the right dose of Prozac for Coy, but it wasnít going to do much if he was avoiding therapy and avoiding his anxiety trigger (school). Right now, we are doing well because he is being homeschooled (and doing great BTW! ) so his depression/anxiety trigger is gone. That doesnít mean his problem is gone, though, because Iím fairly sure that if he went to public school next year, heíd be back at square one. He still refuses therapy, but he understands that I am allowing him a break right now and he will eventually have to go back. Heís obviously not on meds since he isnít being monitored by a psychiatrist. So what we are going to try next may seem a little unorthodox, but I have heard it works for some people. Iím going to take him to a chiropractor.

From what I have heard, anxiety issues can be caused by strain on your spinal cord. When there is strain there, your adrenaline can get all wonky and cause anxiety issues. Apparently, there is something called ďstraight neckĒ , and it can be caused by being on the computer too much! Um, hello! That is totally Coy! So, I am going to try to see if getting Coy adjusted by a chiropractor helps with his anxiety issues. I donít think that his computer habits gave him anxiety, but, if he does have straight neck, Iím sure it hasnít helped! So weíll see if going to the chiropractor a few times a month helps him.

Iím actually going to go too! I think I have only touched on my anxiety issues here on the boards, but I used to suffer very frequent panic attacks. It got to the point where it was affecting my driving. I would have a full blown panic attack if I had to drive on the highway! My panic attacks were so severe that I legitimately thought that I had a heart condition. Thank goodness, I didnít, but it became clear that I needed something to help me cope. I was put on Xanax, but I was taking it every day! I found out later that Xanax can cause anxiety bounce backs. You know how they say that certain pain meds relieve the pain for a few hours, but then the pain just bounces back to exactly where it was? The same thing can happen with anxiety and Xanax. So I was on a rollercoaster for a couple of months before I said enough was enough. Surprisingly, my panic attacks decreased once I stopped the Xanax. I know not everyone is like this, but this was my situation. That is also the reason I cut back on my caffeine Ė too much caffeine (for me) triggers anxiety. I miss my Mountain Dew though! Also, I cut out drinks with aspartame Ė such as Coke Zero Ė because aspartame has been shown to trigger panic attacks in people who are already susceptible to anxiety issues. So two of my favorite drinks, GONE! Ugh! But it has helped me a lot. Now, when I feel any anxiety coming on, I do breathing exercises and things like that to avoid a panic attack. That has helped me a lot. So I am definitely going to take Coy to the chiropractor to see if this alternative medicine will help us. I hope that this will be a step in helping his anxiety issues so that he will feel more comfortable with going back to therapy to treat his depression.

Iím so glad that the boards give us a place to talk about these things Iíll keep you posted on Coyís progress and I hope that Victoria does well with the therapy and the meds

Disney Every Day - An October 2014 PTR
Tink-erin-belle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2013, 05:50 AM   #93
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Ann! I know you are 200 days out, but you should update more, I miss you when you don't!

ADR's look good, no suggestions b/c I have no idea what you guys like! We like exotic stuff, our favorite recent meal was at Sanaa. LOVED it and plan on going back there next time!

You are such a great Mom, I know that Victoria will get through this time and be so grateful to have you. I went through some difficult times as a teen and things WILL get better! Erin has some fantastic words of wisdom.

Erin,I'm so glad the homeschooling is going well and what you said about triggers is true! Don't worry, they don't HAVE to be exposed to those triggers to learn to deal with them...he will grow out of it as he gets older!

Oh and I am utterly JEALOUS that you two are finally going to get a DISMEET! NO FAIR!!!!! Why can't you guys come to Disney next week and meet me and Savannah?!?!?
Twoboysnmygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:50 AM   #94
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

Oh, and Ann, with my long rant about my familyís mental health issues, I forgot to ask you about Sea World! You know how I am when I get on a roll! So, anyway, what is your opinion of the food at Sea World? Is it mostly regular theme park type fare? I see that they have a couple of sit down restaurants there, but Iím not sure they are worth our time, so I was wondering if you guys have ever eaten there.

As far as a Dismeet, I say we just drop everything and meet Karen down there next week! Donít I wish! Karen, weíll all have a meet one day. I just know it!

Old 01-31-2013, 10:46 AM   #95
Victoriasmom98
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink-erin-belle View Post
We are going to have a Dismeet for sure! I was looking at your schedule and thinking the same thing, ďWeíre all in HS on the evening of the 24th and weíre all in EP on the evening of the 25th!Ē (in case you canít tell, Iím leaning toward POR )

Oh, I really, really hope you are at POR, that way thereís even MORE of a chance of getting together, even though weíll be at the AB section. As I said, my family is so happy we are going back there. They are undecided about being in AB rather than the Mansions, but the walk is going to be so much easier to get to Riverside Mill. You will LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the food court there. I thought the food was awesome, especially the ďmake your own pastaĒ section.

Right now the doc has Victoria on the lowest dosage Ė 10mg - of Prozac, so weíll see how she does. Victoria says she likes therapy and the therapist but she also says that she doesnít feel it is helping her. The one good thing about Victoria is that she talksÖand talksÖ..and talks, so whether she thinks so or not, I feel even just talking will help. My brother Michael has severe anxiety issues and heís trying to teach her coping skills. He lives about 3 hours away but has been calling Victoria. One trick he told her is that if she feels a panic attack coming on, she should say in her mind something like, ďbring it on, I dare youĒ. He states that can sometimes work well as if to challenge yourself. Hey, if it works, do it! Thereís also something else called EMDR. I got this definition from Wikipedia: ďEye movement desensitization and reprocessing is a proprietary[1] psychotherapy in which the patient first recalls traumatic material and then free associates on their own ("just let whatever happens happen") to sequences of linked material, both traumatic and non-traumatic, all while simultaneously attending to inner thoughts and sensory stimulation from a rhythmic, bilateral source.Ē I really donít understand what that all means, but Iím going to do more research on it. Iíll have to ask her therapist if this is one therapy she uses. Victoria called me to come get her at school today as she was vomiting. I donít know if itís anxiety-related or not, but I went and sheís home now. Poor pumpkin!

I think school is a trigger for her, but I donít have the option of home-schooling her. I know you are making it work, Erin, with True and Coy, but I just think Victoria would withdraw into herself more and it wouldnít be good for her. I donít think my own health issues would allow me to work full time and then go home and do schooling with her. We canít afford for me NOT to work full time and quiet honestly, I canít go without the health insurance my job provides. She just needs to learn better and more coping skills.

I donít have to worry about Victoria drinking caffeine --- sheís a water junkie, thank goodness. I wasnít aware your anxiety went into full blown panic attacks. Ugh! Maybe a chiropractor would be a good thing for both you and Coy. Thatís not something Iím willing to try with Victoria. And yes, I am sooooooooo glad you guys let me air this stuff out on the boards. It helps TREMENDOUSLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
Ann! I know you are 200 days out, but you should update more, I miss you when you don't!

ADR's look good, no suggestions b/c I have no idea what you guys like! We like exotic stuff, our favorite recent meal was at Sanaa. LOVED it and plan on going back there next time!

You are such a great Mom, I know that Victoria will get through this time and be so grateful to have you. I went through some difficult times as a teen and things WILL get better! Erin has some fantastic words of wisdom.

Erin,I'm so glad the homeschooling is going well and what you said about triggers is true! Don't worry, they don't HAVE to be exposed to those triggers to learn to deal with them...he will grow out of it as he gets older!

Oh and I am utterly JEALOUS that you two are finally going to get a DISMEET! NO FAIR!!!!! Why can't you guys come to Disney next week and meet me and Savannah?!?!?
Quite honestly Karen, I havenít felt like posting anything. Having Victoria depressed and anxious just puts my depression higher and I just want to escape the world. Ugh! I will try to be better, but hey, once you are in Disney, I doubt you are going to be reading ptrís --- youíll be having too much fun!!

As for ADRís my family is pretty plain ---- donít go too far out of our comfort zones and definitely donít give us exotic foods! The best meals for us are buffets or family style where everyone can take only what they want to eat! I think weíll pick another resort table service. I just have to decide which one. We liked Whispering Canyon, so maybe a trip to the Wilderness Lodge is in order. I donít know yet and thereís always the restaurants at DTD!

Donít be jealous, Karen! You get to plan your trips with Hope and have Disney Days with her. I donít have anyone to do that with, so Iím jealous of YOU!!! Sorry, I just canít make it to Disney next weekÖ.but hey, since Erin and I will be there in August, you should come meet us!!! You could even stay in my resort room in the drop down bed!! Hahahahaa!

Victoriasmom98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:12 PM   #96
Victoriasmom98
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyNancy View Post
Those sound like some good adr's right there! You will have to tell me about the Southwest points system sometime. Now that they are flying out of the Jetport I might fly with them on an upcoming trip. Not my April trip but I always have something in the works.
I was wondering where my Maine buddy was....I thought you had figured out I'm quite boring!!! Yes, I will definitely fill you in on SW points....there's actually a whole thread about them in the Transportation Board.

Quote:
Oh, and Ann, with my long rant about my familyís mental health issues, I forgot to ask you about Sea World! You know how I am when I get on a roll! So, anyway, what is your opinion of the food at Sea World? Is it mostly regular theme park type fare? I see that they have a couple of sit down restaurants there, but Iím not sure they are worth our time, so I was wondering if you guys have ever eaten there.

As far as a Dismeet, I say we just drop everything and meet Karen down there next week! Donít I wish! Karen, weíll all have a meet one day. I just know it!
Wow...Sea World. Apparently no restaurant knocked my socks off as I can't remember any. Yes, it is the typical theme park food, though. At Sea World we only eat counter service.

Ok, my carryon is packed so we can meet Karen at her resort room. There's 2 beds.....we can share!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
Okay, SO! I finally got caught up! Woohoo!
So, have I totally bored you to death, Marissa???
Old 01-31-2013, 02:21 PM   #97
Victoriasmom98
DIS Veteran

So, let's talk about something fun, shall we? Look and see what one of my co-workers brought in for a treat....ONLY IN MAINE, folks!!

And another thing only in Maine......sweaters FOR CHICKENS!!!! (No Erin, I'm NOT buying these for mine!

Then, I went onto the Creative Dis and found a t-shirt design that I altered a bit for me:

Isn't that awesome!!! I cannot wait to make up a new t-shirt for me!!! Oh look, that smiley works perfectly in here!!!!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #98
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

How the heck did I miss that you started this pre-trip report? Going back to read!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #100
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Okie dokie, thanks to your handy dandy chapter links, I'm all caught up. Then I went to the last couple of pages and read the chit-chat. Well, great....I forgot what all I wanted to comment on.

Your mother looks so sweet in all of the New York City pictures. You can tell that she's as pleased as punch to be there. Wonderful memories!

What else was I going to say? Oh yeah, what in the world were you thinking going shopping on Black Friday in New York City? My gosh girl, were you running fever? Seriously, it looks crowded but even the stores were all decorated and pretty.

Moving on...your Christmas dinner looks so good! I could go for anything on your table right now. That Slim Fast that I drank this morning has long gone and my tummy is rumbling something fierce.

I'm sorry to hear about Victoria's struggles. It's so hard for a parent to watch their child go through trials and tribulations. I'll say a little extra prayer for her today.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #101
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

OK, I love that your brother dares the panic attack to surface! I am going to try that one, too! Iíll tell that anxiety off and they will know whoís boss! Coy might like that, too! Itís great that Victoria likes therapy. Itís also good that she doesnít drink caffeine. I let my kids drink more caffeine than I am willing to admit True is good with drinking a lot of water, but Coy hates water. Iím with you that Karen and Hope should just meet us in August. ButÖ If Karen will have usÖ Iím up for sharing a room! Letís surprise her at the airport tomorrow! She wonít mind!!! Thanks for your info about Sea World food. LOVE the Merida t-shirt DISign! One last question:

Why ARENíT you buying sweaters for your chickens?!?!?

Old 02-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #102
Tinker326
DIS Veteran

Loooove that shirt! Awesome job! Now, did you do that in photoshop? I'd say it's pretty brillant!

And sorry to hear about your princess. My 7 year old struggles with a lot of issues- socially especially- and my heart breaks for her all the time. It's hard to be a parent and not know the 'right' way to help your baby. I worry so much already about her teen years as she already shows signs of anxiety and depression (so young). We have her talking to psychiatrist this past year in hopes to boost self-esteem and face the anxiety. Teenagers have it SO HARD these days (so much harder than we did, I think- with a world gone virtual & the image hollywood portrays of perfection) I hope she finds her balance & mama does too as you guys work through it. Like I said, sometimes it's so hard when all you want to do is love them through it & love isn't enough......... Hugs.
Tinker326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #103
Victoriasmom98
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
How the heck did I miss that you started this pre-trip report? Going back to read!
Oh, I don't know, Lisa. Let's see, you work, you have your own TR to keep up, and family life....geez....!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
Awww, no sweaters for your chickens Ann?!?!?

LOVE the Brave DISign!
No, Karen...No chicken sweaters. I could not believe when I saw that. People just have too much time on their hands, don't they. Yes, I love that Brave DISign. I wish I would have written down the name of the Disigner! I'm hoping to find a minty-green color t-shirt to iron it onto. I think I have plenty of time to find one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Okie dokie, thanks to your handy dandy chapter links, I'm all caught up. Then I went to the last couple of pages and read the chit-chat. Well, great....I forgot what all I wanted to comment on.

Your mother looks so sweet in all of the New York City pictures. You can tell that she's as pleased as punch to be there. Wonderful memories!

What else was I going to say? Oh yeah, what in the world were you thinking going shopping on Black Friday in New York City? My gosh girl, were you running fever? Seriously, it looks crowded but even the stores were all decorated and pretty.

Moving on...your Christmas dinner looks so good! I could go for anything on your table right now. That Slim Fast that I drank this morning has long gone and my tummy is rumbling something fierce.

I'm sorry to hear about Victoria's struggles. It's so hard for a parent to watch their child go through trials and tribulations. I'll say a little extra prayer for her today.
OH Poo! You just reminded me I haven't been keeping up with my chapter links. Grrrr.....I'll have to work on that! Thank you for your extra prayers for Victoria. This too shall pass, right? That's what I keep hanging onto. And planning my trip to Disney. My quickie weekend trip is coming right up. I'm so excited!

Quote:
OK, I love that your brother dares the panic attack to surface! I am going to try that one, too! Iíll tell that anxiety off and they will know whoís boss! Coy might like that, too! Itís great that Victoria likes therapy. Itís also good that she doesnít drink caffeine. I let my kids drink more caffeine than I am willing to admit True is good with drinking a lot of water, but Coy hates water. Iím with you that Karen and Hope should just meet us in August. ButÖ If Karen will have usÖ Iím up for sharing a room! Letís surprise her at the airport tomorrow! She wonít mind!!! Thanks for your info about Sea World food. LOVE the Merida t-shirt DISign! One last question:

Why ARENíT you buying sweaters for your chickens?!?!?
Oh darn.....I don't know about you Erin, but I didn't make it to the airport to hitch a ride with Karen and Savannah. And it was too late to ask for time off and, this is the biggie, I'M JUST PLAIN BROKE!!!! I had a $410 electric bill this month (thank you, dear husband, for running the chicken heat lamp and your space heater constantly ---- I really appreciate it! ) Since the bill has been received, my dear husband has shut off the space heater in the addition. Grrrrr...... instead of him paying half (or as it should be -- all of it!!) he will be chipping in with Victoria and buying her a new laptop. She has $150 to spend, so I think he will be adding at least $400. It's only fair! I still haven't done our taxes yet. I think I'm a little afraid of not getting a huge refund. We usually get over $2,000, but the Disney trip is $3590 so that would be an additional $1590 I'd have to come up with between now and July. AND I found out that Best Buy only gives one point per dollar for purchases through the Southwest site. Really?? Grrrr! So, that's only 500 points depending on the price of the computer. Ok, I'm putting the cart before the horse here, but still......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker326 View Post
Loooove that shirt! Awesome job! Now, did you do that in photoshop? I'd say it's pretty brillant!

And sorry to hear about your princess. My 7 year old struggles with a lot of issues- socially especially- and my heart breaks for her all the time. It's hard to be a parent and not know the 'right' way to help your baby. I worry so much already about her teen years as she already shows signs of anxiety and depression (so young). We have her talking to psychiatrist this past year in hopes to boost self-esteem and face the anxiety. Teenagers have it SO HARD these days (so much harder than we did, I think- with a world gone virtual & the image hollywood portrays of perfection) I hope she finds her balance & mama does too as you guys work through it. Like I said, sometimes it's so hard when all you want to do is love them through it & love isn't enough......... Hugs.
I actually edited the shirt disign in Paint. It was just a simple edit and it's not perfect, but it's good enough. I'm only planning on wearing the shirt in Disney anyways.

Thanks for the concern over Victoria. It's so tough to see one's child going through something like this. I totally agree that teens have it so much harder than we did. (and I'm older than you!!) Sometimes love isn't enough, huh? So much for the fairy tales I believe!!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #104
OregonMomToWDW
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoriasmom98 View Post
so, my schedule looks like this:
8/18 flying in --- dinner at Planet Hollywood
8/19 EPCOT --- dinner at Cape May
8/20 Animal Kingdom Ė- Tusker House for breakfast
8/21 Hollywood Studios --- OíHanaís for breakfast
8/22 Magic Kingdom ---- I have written down lunch at Be Our Guest, but Iím still fuzzy on this one
8/23 break day --- dinner at 1900 Park Fare
8/24 Hollywood Studios --- dinner at Sci-Fi Diner
8/25 EPCOT ---- dinner at Garden Grill
8/26 Sea World
8/27 Magic Kingdom ---breakfast at Crystal Palace
8/28 Choice Day --- undecided
8/29 Flying Home --- breakfast at Chef Mickeyís
We almost had two alike. I know for sure we are hoping for Sci-Fi Diner on the 24th for dinner. We decided to do breakfast at Crystal Palace on the 28th. We could have done it on the 27th, but we are doing Princess Storybook on the 26th and I didn't want to do two character breakfasts in a row.

PTR: 1 Summer, 2 Coasts, 3 Kids...Ready, Set, Go! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51560086
OregonMomToWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #105
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Oh Ann,

I'm sorry to hear about Victoria's depression and anxiety issues... I know how hard it is to watch your baby go through that... It isn't easy... & you can't always totally make it go away... but in time you learn how to manage it... and what kind of situations make you vulnerable... On a positive note, I've found that a lot of people who have these kinds of issues are really bright and sensitive and can really become really insightful about themselves and others around them...

Don't ever feel like you're alone with that kind of stuff... you'd be surprised how many of us have had these kinds of issues...

I saw that Erin talked about her own personal experiences and I can only add that not only have I personally had issues with both depression and anxiety (& panic disorder) but both of my kids have had anxiety issues. Emily spent most of fifth grade in a constant state of anxiety, missed a lot of school and had major separation issues... (she was on meds for a long while and is finally mostly off) David is still struggling...and is on meds as well...

(if you ever have any really specific questions please feel free to ask me or you can pm if you want to as well...)

Good luck with the Snow Storm... I hope it doesn't cause you too much trouble... Nemo... (will always have a different meaning to Dis ers...

Yeah for POR... I really love it there...and recently saw the Princess and the Frog for the first time since it came out... LOVE it, Tiana is now easily in my top three princesses... awesome story... great setting... Either side you stay at... great choices...
PracPerfPatricia is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: