Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #46
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Hey I'm subbing on...

I read your last tr just as your were finishing it... so I 'm subbing onto this while you're still writing...

I was really indignant for you about that lousy woman who commented on your poncho...

You are going to have such a great time in New York... the holidays are an awesome time to go and the show is fabulous...really really good...

Victoria is an adorable girl and I'm sorry that she has to deal with POS... I know it's scary but the fact she told you she had feelings of hurting herself is good in that she isn't keeping it to herself... Both of my awesome kids have mood disorders (under control) and you will get through it...

POR is a lovely hotel... very atmospheric...
PracPerfPatricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #47
Victoriasmom98
DIS Veteran

Well kids…..here we are with only 1 sleep until we leave for NYC! You know how my mother booked the hotel on 7th Avenue facing the Avenue due to being on the parade route? Well, NYC changed the parade route from 7th Avenue to 6th Avenue, so her dream of watching from the hotel window is now (excuse the pun) out the window! I feel so bad for her and I had her call the hotel yesterday just to make sure I wasn’t incorrect. Nope. No parade view from the hotel. My mom is going to see about getting some money back as she specifically made these reservations based on being on the route. Now I know the hotel cannot guarantee that this wouldn’t happen, but if you advertise parade view room for a certain amount of money and cannot follow through with that, then there should be some type of compensation. I believe she did pay extra for the “view” so we’ll see. Now we’ll have to go out and line the street with all kinds of other people to see the parade. It’s not a big deal for us, but for my Mom to be in the cold, well it’s not a good thing. She says she’s not disappointed, but I know she really is. I still think we are going to have a wonderful time and she will really enjoy herself. For me, I just love flying and staying in hotel rooms, so I’m good no matter what. I’m going to be keeping a journal, so I will do a mini trip report in the middle of this ptr if you all don’t mind. I’ve been researching restaurants and things to do in NYC online. It seems like everything is pretty much within walking distance. I really do want to see the Statue of Liberty as I’ve never seen it before. I am also anxious to see the Rockettes! I have to go to the pharmacy and pick up some meds tonight, and pack my clothes, but other than that I’m ready to go. Oh, I still have one hamster cage and the guinea pig case to clean, too. My camera has an empty memory card in it and I have extra batteries. I’m trying to be prepared, but it feels so much different than packing for Disney. I find that weird, but ok. There’s no pool in the hotel so no bathing suits to pack.

Would everyone love to hear some GOOD NEWS??? Victoria started her period on Thursday the 15th. Granted she needed the medication to do so, but she started and this is good for her body! It was a normal period, so I am soooooooo relieved. You could probably tell how much her health has been upsetting me as of late. I’ve read trip reports, but haven’t been commenting very much. Sorry for that. I’m not ignoring anyone, I just don’t want to end up being a Debbie Downer on your reports. Now we are hoping that her body with kick in and start a period next month, but if it doesn’t, in three months she will go through another round of medication. Yay! At least we are getting somewhere now. Peter on the other hand pulled his back out on Sunday and he’s barely moving since then. Oh, he’s gone to work, but he’s just miserable right now. I’m anxious to see him tonight to see how he’s doing.

As you all know, we are also going to Orlando in March for PlayList Live for Victoria. I’m trying to convince my family how much better it would be to stay at a Disney Value Resort rather than staying at the Caribe Royale. I’ve been scouring the boards and waiting for discounts to come out. Finally on Friday the travel agency Magical Vacations (I think --- I’d have to check for sure) came out with an Easter special that including our dates of March 22 – 25th. I requested a quote and this nice lady named Jessica came back with a room-only quote of $432!!!! That is the EXACT same price as the Caribe Royale. This is a total no-brainer for me, but it’s my family I’m trying to convince. In that regard I have emailed both Victoria and Peter with the following information:

Reasons to stay at Caribe Royale:

 Price quoted $432 for 3 nights
 Same hotel as Playlist --- no need to rent a car but would have to take taxi to DTD for dinners
 Suite vs standard room
 Beautiful landscaping
 Being close to the girls while they are at the conference

Reasons to stay at All-Star Sports:

 It’s Disney, duh!
 Was able to get a discount so it’s also $432 for 3 nights (a HUGE savings! It’s $565 to book on Disney site)
 Refillable mugs (savings for sodas and we drink A LOT!)
 Savings of $120 round trip from resort to airport
 Disney transportation runs every 20 mins vs. select schedule times at CR and none until after 6pm to DTD
 Disney customer service
 Towel animals!
 Choice of 2 pools
 With MyCoke points, can get $20 off a rental car for 2 days (estimate $40)

I think I make a very compelling argument!! Victoria seems to think that if we stay at the same hotel as the convention, she may meet the You Tubers by the pool or in the lobby, etc. I personally think chances of that are slim, but true, you never do know. I think staying at a hotel in the “hopes” of meeting someone in the hotel is crazy. She’s going to meet them at their Meet N Greets at the convention anyways. And I know my daughter, she would bump into them in the hall and be too shy to say anything! She also thinks she’s going to hang around by the pool with them after the convention in the evenings. Um, no little girl. You are 14 these people are over 18…..it ain’t happening. Mama says. Staying on Disney property would save us money!!!! Granted, probably only around $80, but it’s something….AND IT’S DISNEY!!! I know, I know….I don’t have to convince you guys. I’ll keep working on them. I just may take $200 and put the deposit down just to hold this price. You can’t get that price on the Disney site. I am curious how this travel agency can do that, but hey, if it saves me money, why question it, right? I didn’t want to go through a travel agency, but again, the price brings me to them!
Victoriasmom98 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #48
Victoriasmom98
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
Hey I'm subbing on...

I read your last tr just as your were finishing it... so I 'm subbing onto this while you're still writing...

I was really indignant for you about that lousy woman who commented on your poncho...

You are going to have such a great time in New York... the holidays are an awesome time to go and the show is fabulous...really really good...

Victoria is an adorable girl and I'm sorry that she has to deal with POS... I know it's scary but the fact she told you she had feelings of hurting herself is good in that she isn't keeping it to herself... Both of my awesome kids have mood disorders (under control) and you will get through it...

POR is a lovely hotel... very atmospheric...
Hi Patricia! Thanks for subbing. I hope you don't get too bored. It's not really too exciting until we get closer to the trip. I will have to go read your reports now! I love reading new reports! Thank you for your encouraging words about Victoria. I know we will both pull through this. She is an awesome child and I love her to pieces!!
Old 11-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #49
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

I’m sorry to hear about the switch in the parade route! I really hope your mom does get some of her money back. They should at least refund the price difference between the “view” room and the standard rooms. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for her! I hope you guys have a fantastic time and I can’t wait to read a mini TR about it!

I’m so happy to hear that the meds worked for Victoria. I hope that kicked everything into gear and she won’t have to take more later on down the road Hey, I don’t mind if you’re Debbie Downer on my PTR! Sometimes I am! But I can totally understand not being in the mood to comment and participate in things in stressful times So, now that you’ve got Victoria on her way to better health, you have to worry about Peter?!? Poor thing! I hope his back gets better!

PlayList Live is getting closer and closer, too! Caribe Royale looks beautiful and sounds really nice, but I can understand why you are drawn to staying at a Disney resort! Your comparison of the two options looked good – of course, I would have stopped at “It’s Disney, duh!” I’m convinced! Seriously, you did make some good points and $80 is $80! Plus, I am just picturing a whole bunch of 13 – 25 year olds running around that hotel all night. It might be nice to get a break from the convention by staying offsite at a Disney resort I hope you can convince your family!

Disney Every Day - An October 2014 PTR
Tink-erin-belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #50
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

1 Day! I hope you have a GREAT trip! I'm sorry about the parade route, but it will be really cool to be out there on the street watching too!

Convincing argument! I hope the family gets with the program!!
Twoboysnmygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #51
Victoriasmom98
DIS Veteran

Start spreading the news……
I’m leaving today……
I want to be a part of it….NY, NY…..

Okay, so maybe I didn’t really want to be a part of it. I did, however want to make this dream trip of my Mom’s the best it could possibly be so at 10 am we were on our way. Ok, fine…..I’m ALWAYS late so we left our house at 10:05 and headed over to my Mom’s.

Fortunately she’s a mere 6 or so minutes away, so we were there by the goal time of 10:15. Her friend Mrs. Noel was coming with us to Portland and she was going to drive my Mom’s car back to her house for safe keeping. On the way down Peter drove and I sat shotgun while Mom, Mrs. Noel and Victoria crammed in back.

No, not really crammed, just cozy. Our flight was scheduled for 12:58 pm and we were there a little after 11:30am so we were there in plenty of time. Yep….it’s supposedly the busiest travel day of the year…um, yeah…. This is the line in security. Pretty funny if you ask me and I even teased the TSA agents about how terrible the lines are. Probably not the best idea to tease the TSA agents, but the ones in Portland (except for one we will get to) are all pretty laid back.

Guess who got “detained” in security –-- MOM!!!! See, when she goes to her friend’s house in FL in March, she usually mails her clothes, etc rather than paying for the baggage fees so she is not used to having to put her toiletries in a gallon ziplock baggie. Ooops. I hope there is nothing else I forgot to tell her! So, I wanted to capture the moment for the scrapbook when TSA withchie-poo comes over and says “You’re not taking pictures, are you?” Let’s see….I have my camera up and pointing at my mother --- no, wizard, I’m drinking coffee!! She turned her back and I snapped the picture anyways. Poo on YOU!

It was then onto the gate. They’ve spent the last two years renovating the airport and it’s really nice now. It’s interesting though….you enter on the first floor, take the elevator to the third floor security then take another elevator to the second floor where the gates are. Kind of interesting but genius at the same time. We waited a bit and the fam went to Burger King for some munchies.

We boarded and I sat with Peter and Victoria sat with Mom. It was a plane with 2 seats on either side of the aisle.

The flight was uneventful and we were landing in NYC within an hour and 15 minutes. It was amazing to see NYC from the air. It’s like all of a sudden there’s humungous buildings. Unbelievable. We did see the Statue of Liberty from the air, but weren’t really close enough to get a really good picture or view.

The landing was smooth and we were all excited to be in NYC. We were able to find our way to ground transportation and to the taxi booth where a person hails a cab for you. Interesting. The taxi ride costs Mom $51 and the driver drove like a freaking maniac. OMG!! Do you not believe in directional signals?? Apparently not.

We passed by really cute brownstone buildings and Central Park on the way to the hotel.

Up next…..the hotel…..
Old 11-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #52
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

The beginning of the NY TR! Looks like you're off to a good start! I can't believe the TSA agent had a problem with you taking a picture! I'm glad you took it anyway I mean, is there a sign posted that says "no pictures"? Anyway, I like the pictures of you flying in over NYC! That's a nice one of you and Peter, too. I can't wait to see the hotel!

Old 11-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #53
Victoriasmom98
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink-erin-belle View Post
The beginning of the NY TR! Looks like you're off to a good start! I can't believe the TSA agent had a problem with you taking a picture! I'm glad you took it anyway I mean, is there a sign posted that says "no pictures"? Anyway, I like the pictures of you flying in over NYC! That's a nice one of you and Peter, too. I can't wait to see the hotel!
see that's the thing with us Dis'ers ---- if it is not documented with a photo or sign, it does not exist, so I had absolutely every right to take a pic of Mom in security! So there!!! --- ooh, I love that smiley!
Old 11-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #55
Victoriasmom98
DIS Veteran

The Wellington….

I should have read the reviews (reviews quoted from Trip Advisor)…..

“Air conditioning sounded like a volcano erupting, windows were nailed shut and sleeping in the stuffy conditions was just about impossible.”

“The hotel was run down, dirty and in desperate need of a refurbishment. Our room was extremely dated. The bathroom was small, barely room to move, the window in the bathroom was directly by the shower - with no curtain or blind!”

“The rooms are small (even for NY), furniture and rug is worn out, walls and trim is chipped and beaten up, bathroom is smaller than the closet and the heat isn't adjustable... we melted even with the window fully open. This hotel is disappointing, go somewhere else. “

Someone actually said the elevator reminded them of the Tower of Terror and I must say I totally agree!!!

About to ride the Tower of Terror elevator

But I was going to make the best of it as Mom picked the hotel out and called them directly to make the reservations. Now, we Dis’ers know that if you book a hotel that’s NOT Disney, you should book through a travel site like Expedia or Hotel.com for the best rates. Oh, their website makes it look all fancy and beautiful….until you step foot inside. Remember how Mom wanted a room on the 7th floor facing 7th Avenue to see the parade? Well, not only were we not on the parade route (no fault of the hotel, but we should have been called and told of the route change) we were placed in the back of the hotel on the 15th floor!! (it only had 16 floors). I swear we were in the “old section” because that’s the feeling you got. The elevator was TINY!! Now, you all know I don’t complain about hotels --- I love to stay in hotels and I’m not one of those “inspect every inch of the room before you like it” people. I’m happy with a working toilet and a bed. Oh, and a tv. Mom wanted us to have 2 adjoining rooms. She was never told that the hotel doesn’t have any adjoining rooms, but that they were side by side. Ok. I’m good with that. BUT, what the hotel should have explained to her is that one room would have been sufficient. One room was set up like a suite --- it had a separate bedroom with one double bed and a tv. The other space had another double bed, a couch and a tv. That would have been fine for the 4 of us. But Mom reserved 2 rooms not knowing the layout. So, she spent double what she really should have. It was nice that Peter and I had our own room, but it was so not needed. I wanted Mom to call down and explain the situation, but she said what was done, was done. Fine.

The lobby

Our room

Our view….lovely, isn’t it??!!

Now let’s get to the bathroom, shall we?? Yeah, the toilet ran….and ran….and ran….and ran. It even ran after you jiggled the handle. OMG!! And with the way it was positioned, I had to sit kitty corner like in order to be comfortable! Ugh! It was really quite comical now that I’m back home. It was definitely small and cramped. The sink had a little shelf above it which I suppose counts as a vanity. Yeah. Be prepared for a LONG WAIT for the water in the shower to get even somewhat warm. You better not hope anyone flushes a toilet anywhere in the hotel as that water will get so hot it burns your skin and the tub is not big enough for you to have anywhere to escape to. Fun times…fun times! Did Disney really spoil me or this situation was just bad? I believe this hotel was just bad. Onto the heating system. The pipes clanged, clanged, clanged. Again, it’s just an old hotel. You could not regulate the heat from the register in the room (yes, I said register --- an old fashioned heating unit). It was really hot in our room --- so much so that I had to open the windows and slept with them open. Of course they only opened up 3 inches. Apparently they didn’t want you to jump!

I read “gift shop” on their website and thought, “oh cool. I can spend an hour or so just browsing”. NOT!!! The gift shop was one aisle with merchandise on either side. I think our room was bigger than the gift shop. Are you kidding me? Really? I guess they figured there’s so many stores along the street that they hotel really didn’t need one. Then there’s the café located within the hotel. Small, crowded, rushed and the food was only adequate. We did get free breakfast, but that consisted of a choice of 2 eggs with sausage and bacon or pancakes. Wow. The front desk had forgotten to give us the little vouchers we needed, so after we sat down the waitperson explained we needed those vouchers. So Mom gets up and goes to the front desk to get them. Very inconvenient! I was not impressed!

That’s about all the pictures I took. Apparently I was not that impressed, huh?
Old 11-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #56
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

OMG! That bathroom looks tiny! Sounds like it was just super old, I'm glad you can laugh about it now, that's probably what I would have tried to do. Disney spoils us, but not THAT much, I think anyone would have been disappointed with that room and all the issues you had!
Twoboysnmygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #57
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoriasmom98 View Post
see that's the thing with us Dis'ers ---- if it is not documented with a photo or sign, it does not exist, so I had absolutely every right to take a pic of Mom in security! So there!!! --- ooh, I love that smiley!
Where did you get that smiley? Too cute! Now I have it, too! I think I need to explore the smileys a bit more! It's not like I have WORK to do

Old 11-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #58
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

Wow! I’m sorry that the room wasn’t what you expected! Yeah, Disney has spoiled us, but at the same time, that room did seem like it was fairly outdated and the staff clearly didn’t honor any of your mom’s requests! What happened to the 7th Ave view? Did they even apologize for putting you all in rooms with no view? Oh well, as Karen said, I’m glad you can laugh about it now. The Christmas tree was pretty! And, hey, you’re in New York! I am excited to see the rest of the report. I have never been to NYC and I really want to go!

Old 12-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #59
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

I am of two minds about the whole hotel situation...

on one hand... it really does make a great story... the whole ToT thing about the elevator is funny and like Erin said you are in New York together and that is the important thing...

on the other hand...

it seems as if this hotel misrepresented themselves and what they were offering, you don't won't your mother to get taken and this is such a special trip for all of you but especially her... it's really ashamed to think you're getting a parade view room and that certainly wasn't that...

I am anxious and hopeful that things progress more smoothly...

BTW... your mom is really cute...
PracPerfPatricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #60
Victoriasmom98
DIS Veteran

After settling in for a while it was decided that we should go find somewhere to eat. I had done a little bit of research on restaurants in the area, but since this was my Mom’s trip, I didn’t do a whole lot or make any type of reservations. I had read about the Redeye Grill and it sounded yummy. It was about 2 blocks up on 7th Avenue so we decided to walk to it. Not chosing any restaurants will proove my downfall in the end, but we’ll save that for later. It was exciting to walk in NYC at dusk. People aren’t joking when they describe a whole different “vibe” there. It’s really very pretty with all the lights, but I just couldn’t get over how many PEOPLE there were walking around. I thought Disney was crowded on somedays but WOW!! Where did all these people come from? We get to the restaurant (it was around 4pm, so still quite early) and all I can say is that it is sooo beautiful! And fancy.

The prices reminded me of the TS restaurants in Disney, so the prices weren’t all that shocking to me. Besides I had read about it on the website so I knew what to expect. This was one of those restaurants where the maitre d seats you --- actually pulls out the chair for you and places your napkin on your lap. I thought that was cool. Then we had the “bread” waiter come along and offer us bread. Then a different waiter came around and got our drink order.

I LOVE that kind of attention but I just don’t like to pay for it. All of us placed our order and I was sooo looking forward to the Lobster and Scallop Lasagna!!! The maitre d came over about 10 minutes later and stated how very sorry he was but that the Lasagna wasn’t going to be ready for another hour and would I care to order something else. I ended up ordering the pulled pork.

Our food waiter came over and apologized all over the place for not knowing when I ordered that it wasn’t ready to be ordered. He said that when I ordered dessert, it would be on him. That was amazing! He certainly didn’t have to do that! Then the maitre d came along again and offered us all a glass of champagne --- even Victoria! Now I’m not one to turn down a glass of champagne, so yes, please!!!!

My mother ended up having Peter’s glass as Peter doesn’t drink. We teased Mom about her having 2 glasses for the rest of the evening. Of course I ordered dessert and it was faboooo!!!! MMMMMMMMm. Oh, I love food anyways so I was happy as a piggy in poo! My dessert was some type of chocolate mousse cake. Pure Heaven. Apparently our food waiter didn’t think this was enough for us, so he brought us some chocolate bark and some chocolate chips cookies. This was the very best experience I have had in a long time. It was soooo wonderful! After we had to be rolled out of the restaurant, we walked along the avenue just taking it all in. It was an excellent evening!!

Oh, and Victoria thought finding a Hooters was exciting!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: