Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #46
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent555

I AGREE 3 VOTES FOR REPLACING THE ALIEN SECTION!!! I've been on the GMR at least a dozen times and the Alien scene still freaks me out!!! I close my eyes... I can't watch the movies either.!!!
I rode GMR last month after 8 years and the Alien part was lame, just a ton of smoke. It used to spring out at you pretty far, it seems they've since wimped it up.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
Future trips on hold due to DS8's leukemia diagnosis

Me (43) DH (40) DS (8) DD (8)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Gorechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #47
sammielynn
DIS Veteran

I like the ride, go on it at least once per trip. Some of the guides I have seen lately have been awful. Please get folks that are good speakers and have some sparkle to them to be the tour guides. One kid last year stunk the place up.
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #48
Icecoldpenguin
May the Force Be With You

What A Geeky Fangirl Blogger Would Do

Ok Guys I LOVE this ride but I also appreciate classic film a lot. However, I do love modernization and here is what I think could be done to update.

The Queue: I love the costumes and props but this needs updating. Also there is a trend towards interactive queues. I think that they should put in some trivia kiosks like over by Turtle Talk with Crush. This way you can test your movie knowledge. Also there should be cast members in the queue doing some trivia similar to what some cast members do in the animation building. There could even be kiosks with different activities like in the animation building. The film should not just be clips from films it could even be the trivia. Another cool aspect for the queue would be to re-style it and highlight movies that were major cinema milestones like first film with sound, first film in color, first to win an academy award things like that.

The Ride Itself: I think I agree with everyone about the large train. I think it would be better with smaller cars like in haunted mansion and your tour guide would be in the car itself via speakers so you can really hear the tour guide and music of the scenes that you see.

Animatronics: These definitely need to be updated

Scenes: I think keeping singing in the rain and mary poppins as well as wizard of oz are great things to keep because of the classic films. However I would want to add things like Star Wars, Snow White, maybe a different mobster/gangster movie, tron would be good, forrest gump, a super hero (marvel) film, gladiator, james bond, titanic, roger rabbit, jurassic park, pretty woman, avatar and maybe even make a point to pick one of the first movies to be directed by a woman and films that won major awards. I also think the film at the end could be in some sort of cool 3D that you do not need 3D glasses for or perhaps maybe you do.

After the Ride: Perhaps you can take a quiz to see how much you learned about classic movies or even have a way to place yourself in the scene and print a picture that would be cool too.

This is just my opinion though.

TRIPS:
Now a Florida Resident and Visiting as much as possible!
Turkey Day'13 VWL Labor Day '13, May '13/June '13-SWW 1,3 & 4 May '13-Disneyland, Nov '12-Pop, Oct '12 Swan, Jun/Jul '12 Disney World Wedding/Honeymoon, Dec '11 Wilderness Lodge, Oct '11 Poly, June '11-ASMo, June '10 ASMu, 2000 Offsite
Icecoldpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:49 AM   #49
eeyorepixie
AKA Queenie

The inclusion of more Disney movies...only love the Wizard of OZ part. My DD hates this ride because of the gun shots.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #50
ronDisney
the Ron of RonnMel

Icecoldpenguin:
You have some great ideas. I think alot of what you proposed, could definitely be integrated into the current ride.

If GMR is going to keep the whole "history of cinema" theme, a lot of those milestones (movie first's, maybe greatest money maker in adjusted dollars) should be added.

I wonder how much of the fact the GMR hasn't really been updated, is due to the fact that the attraction is probably cheaper to run, than most other attractions currently at Hollywood Studios.
ronDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #51
Icecoldpenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronDisney View Post
Icecoldpenguin:
You have some great ideas. I think alot of what you proposed, could definitely be integrated into the current ride.

If GMR is going to keep the whole "history of cinema" theme, a lot of those milestones (movie first's, maybe greatest money maker in adjusted dollars) should be added.

I wonder how much of the fact the GMR hasn't really been updated, is due to the fact that the attraction is probably cheaper to run, than most other attractions currently at Hollywood Studios.
This is probably true but with a ride that is all about the history and magic of film there needs to be updates done to it as new milestones are reached. Plus they have so much technology at other rides that would work perfectly for this ride it can't be hard to just duplicate the technology but with a different theme. I love the sorcerer's hat but I saw a picture of what the studios looked like before the hat was there...I never saw it that way as I had never been to disney before the hat and I think I like it better without the hat it makes more sense. So I think they should get rid of the hat too.

TRIPS:
Turkey Day'13 VWL Labor Day '13, May '13/June '13-SWW 1,3 & 4 May '13-Disneyland, Nov '12-Pop, Oct '12 Swan, Jun/Jul '12 Disney World Wedding/Honeymoon, Dec '11 Wilderness Lodge, Oct '11 Poly, June '11-ASMo, June '10 ASMu, 2000 Offsite
Old 09-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #52
ZoeisMommy
ºoº Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecoldpenguin

This is probably true but with a ride that is all about the history and magic of film there needs to be updates done to it as new milestones are reached. Plus they have so much technology at other rides that would work perfectly for this ride it can't be hard to just duplicate the technology but with a different theme. I love the sorcerer's hat but I saw a picture of what the studios looked like before the hat was there...I never saw it that way as I had never been to disney before the hat and I think I like it better without the hat it makes more sense. So I think they should get rid of the hat too.
The rumor is they are getting rid of the hat AND the facade...they apparently lost the rights to use the Manns theater front and are going to change it to the theater front as seen in Disneyland....but that's all a rumor until Disney confirms and starts demolition IMHO
Old 09-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #53
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeisMommy View Post
The rumor is they are getting rid of the hat AND the facade...they apparently lost the rights to use the Manns theater front and are going to change it to the theater front as seen in Disneyland....but that's all a rumor until Disney confirms and starts demolition IMHO
As others have mentioned in other threads about the hat, The rumor of Disney losing the rights to the Theater Facade is 100% false.

The Mann's Chinese Theater was built before architectural Copyrights existed, so there are no rights or licensing to be had. Technically the look of the building is in the Public domain.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #54
Lesleyluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

It was 1st ride we ever done there, so I love it. However, Id probably take out the tarzan, james cagney and the western bit. Not sure what to replace with? Liked the Forrest Gump, Marvel superheroes and Titanic ideas

x
1998 - Port Orleans French Quarter * 1999 - All Star Music * 2000 - All Star Sports * 2001 - All Star Movies * 2002 - All Star Movies * 2004 - All Star Movies * 2006 - Caribbean Beach HONEYMOON!* 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside *2010 - Old Key West* 2013 - Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa

Magical Disneyland Paris Visits!2001 - Santa Fe Hotel * 2002 - Disneyland Hotel[COLOR="New York[/B][/B][/B][/B]

PaleGreen"]* 2005 - Hotel New York
[/[B]2011 - Hotel New York

Disneyland & California AdventureOct 2009 - 1st visit!

Lesleyluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #55
Icecoldpenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeisMommy View Post
I have read all of this but I also have read the issues with copyrights and I learned that it is not true. I wish we knew why the hat was placed in the first place

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
As others have mentioned in other threads about the hat, The rumor of Disney losing the rights to the Theater Facade is 100% false.

The Mann's Chinese Theater was built before architectural Copyrights existed, so there are no rights or licensing to be had. Technically the look of the building is in the Public domain.
Thank you for this I have read both sides of it and the sad thing is that we really don't know anything because no one tells us anything! Dang Disney and their secrets

TRIPS:
Old 09-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #56
daizieduck
DIS Veteran

The Alien scene with Sigourney Weaver. Ugh. Yuck. That animatronic is so outdated.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #57
tmdeutch
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by daizieduck View Post
The Alien scene with Sigourney Weaver. Ugh. Yuck. That animatronic is so outdated.
Agreed
tmdeutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #58
nansmama
DIS Veteran

The number one thing I would change on GMR is the queue. It is horrible waiting in that switchback queue and watching the movie play over and over--my least favorite line experience in all of WDW. I would also get rid of the "interactive" component with the actors, and make the "cars" smaller. It would be much cooler to have small cars like in Haunted Mansion, so that you feel more like you're "in" the movie scenes.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:20 AM   #59
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

The Great Movie Ride CM needs to wait until everyone gets into the scene before talking about it.

More variety.

More movie clips in the GMR queue area so the same ones are not seen over and over.

OT: More movie clips in the Sci Fi Diner so the same ones don't repeat during your meal.

OT: More selections in the background music so we don't hear (during the holiday season) Sleigh Ride every hour.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #60
M-I-C-K-E-Y
DIS Veteran

Gut most everything and start from scratch.

There are some areas nearly up-to-standards, but other than a few small touches to the Oz section, rip it all out! I find it difficult to consider anything within GMR as classic or untouchable, though many will disagree.

Queue: A new montage, perhaps longer (since watching that group of clips OVER AND OVER only serves to remind us that we've been in line far too long!) As much as the history of cinema is of great interest, perhaps a major update and increase in film quality!

Cast Members: Mostly I'm embarrassed by/for them. I remember when they seemed to attract fairly talented kids to act in these roles, but the last few years have seen one dreadful CM after another (apologies if your child/friend/neighbor is one of them...I'm sure they're the exception to the rule). Why not pick some cream of the crop kids, like the do at Jungle Cruise? Why do the gangster CMs all sound like Rosey O'Donnell, when it's supposed to be the gangster streets of 1930s Chicago?

Sets: The gang shoot-out and "Temple" areas are simply below standards. They could do so much better, with a fresh approach.

Scenes: The AAs, except for the Wicked Witch, which is the newer version, are waxy and aged. Want this to be a premier attraction? Bring on the new AAs, with a fresh look. The Mary Poppins AAs look horrific!

While some of these may be impossible, due to film rights:

- Star Wars -- perhaps the "I am your father" scene or Carbonite freezing?
-Twist & Shout scene from Ferris Bueller's Day Off
- Henry V scene/address to his forces by Kenneth Branagh
- Avengers action scene - a must do - imagine the AAs! If Depp did the voice for the POTC ride, then perhaps... After all, its the highest-grossing Buena Vista film by over $200M and the third highest domestic grossing film of all time...must be popular!
- Rocky...doesn't have to be a fight scene...so much to pick from!

There's so much non-Universal material to consider. I'm sorry, but Footlight Parade? How many people have ever seen it? Love Cagney, Eastwood and John Wayne, but let's try something else. Tarzan? Waste of space!

- Movie at the End: Gut it, improve the quality, and include something for a true zing. WHY include a clip from Honey I Shrunk the Kids? Let's add something from War Games and Short Circuit if they insist on showing dated 80s content?

So much to say, but will they ever spend the money? Only if the hat comes down and that attraction becomes a cornerstone must do, rather than "let's cool down for about 30-45 minutes."

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: