Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
Sandy61
Mouseketeer

Gift ideas for a 14 year old boy

I need gift ideas for DS who will be 14 in a month. He is a typical kid that is only interested in his ipod touch right now. He asked for a tv which makes no sense because he has one downstairs for video games. He knows he can't have one in his room.

My husband got him a couple of tools because we give the boys a toolbox when they turn 13 and spend the next few years filling it up so by the time they are adults they have all the tools they need. This is great, but we need other ideas.

Ideas?
Sandy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #2
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Ds14 just got a new watch that he wanted - I want to say G-spot, but I know that's not it. But is bulky and white, and was about $100. He also loves his new pair of Jordans. He has a kindle fire, but I have no idea how much he uses it. He wants an iphone (has an ipod touch). I think he also wants the new madden football game for xbox? Doesn't matter - he's not getting anything until Christmas, so I'm really not paying attention to his wants.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

There are a couple of new games coming out very soon. I don't remember what ones, maybe a Halo one? and something else. I know he saved a gift card from his birthday for them.

For my DS 14 it is usually games for his Xbox, or membership for on line play, books, A gift card for Steam, and he still likes some of the more complex Star Wars Lego sets. But mostly Xbox or computer games and books.

Oh I remember something he just got, new better headphones.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #4
FINFAN
Mom to Tinkbell
Makes the best Apple Pie on her block!
My driver's license will say "Florida Resident" one day!
I blame Jaws

It may sound impersonal but maybe a gift card to Best Buy (or the like) if he really wants a different he can use it toward one, or a game, music,...anything. Wrap it in a goofy way to make it less "here's a gift card" or a card to the movies....most 14 years olds can't afford it. We faked our DS out with that a few years back, did the movie night theme of popcorn ~ candy etc and he thought a Blockbuster card was in there, but when he saw AMC, he got pretty happy.
Also, big ticket items here, but does he board? My kids love longboarding and snowboarding...both are in investment so and financial help is those areas is appreciated by my kids and they were about 13/14 when they became interested.
Dan's IN to the Hall of Fame!

FINFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
Irin997
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
Ds14 just got a new watch that he wanted - I want to say G-spot, but I know that's not it. But is bulky and white, and was about $100. He also loves his new pair of Jordans. He has a kindle fire, but I have no idea how much he uses it. He wants an iphone (has an ipod touch). I think he also wants the new madden football game for xbox? Doesn't matter - he's not getting anything until Christmas, so I'm really not paying attention to his wants.
HAHA I think you're talking about a G-Shock watch!

I have a DD11 so I don't have any ideas for a DS14, but I love the toolbox/tools idea! Good luck!
Irin997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
Nayan
DIS Veteran

Location: About an hour east of WDW. 192 all the way "home". :)

Halo 4 and Borderlands 2 are two of the big games coming out soon on Xbox. Does he have an IPod? If he does how about some ITunes cards for music and apps? Or a card with Xbox Live points so he can buy a game or two? Does he have favorite movies/TV shows? Maybe get him a couple of those on DVD? I love the headphone idea so I need to remember that one for my son .
Old 09-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

Hey, I'm not surprised he asked for a TV. My kids have been told forever that they will never had TVs in their bedrooms. At 17, my DD still asks each year around birthday time!

iTunes card for the iTouch and maybe a case for it if he doesn't have one.
Does he like board or card games? Tsuro or Flux are popular with young men.
Is there any piece of clothing that he's asked about that you weren't real excited about buying that you could get as a surprise? (hoodie, pair of shoes, screenprint tee?)
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #8
sksjasams
DIS Veteran

My DS is turning 14 next month too! Where does the time go?

It is a hard age for gifts. DS has moved on from legos, which I would have bet never would have happened.

I had to laugh because my DS keeps asking about a tv too! He also can not have a tv in his room, he just would like an hdtv to replace the standard tv in the spare room so when he wants to hook-up his PS3 upstairs it will be in hd.

You haven't mentioned a budget. My DS is completely attached to his iPad (xmas gift from his gma last year). I have seen refurb iPad2s for around $330. He has absolutely used it more than any gift he has ever received.

The things on my DS's wishlist for his birthday are video games, playstation network card, i-tunes card and cash. Other things he has mentioned and I think he would like are a new Nike hoodie, new LeBron jersey, new Aaron Rodgers jersey (his is too small). He does want a nice pair of headphones, but wants to choose them himself.

Happy Birthday to your DS!

ETA: my DS is not too much into sports, but his friends always like a new basketball or football. DS got his friend an "indoor" basketball for his birthday.

Last edited by sksjasams; 09-12-2012 at 09:17 AM.
sksjasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #9
Cakegirl
Earning My Ears

My DS(13) loves reading and anything else boy (cars, sports, etc). I got him a magazine subscription to "Automobile" -- just make sure you tear the last 2-3 pages out first... gotta love the ads for "dysfunction", among other things. But the rest is good, no inappropriate ads or anything.

I've also thought about "Sports Illustrated for Kids" magazine maybe for Christmas. Of course, clothes is always a big hit. Good luck finding the perfect gift!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irin997 View Post
HAHA I think you're talking about a G-Shock watch!

I have a DD11 so I don't have any ideas for a DS14, but I love the toolbox/tools idea! Good luck!
That's it! Lol! Ds also loves his Beats headphones (refurbished - I was not going to spend $200+ on headphones, but they're actually incredible - watched an entire season of Downton Abbey on my laptop with them).
Old 09-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #11
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Xbox Live card
Xbox game
Turtle Beaches headset
Oakley sunglasses
itunes card
Best Buy gift card
CASH
Favorite sports jersey
Air Jordan anything (tshirt/sweatshirt/shorts/shoes)
Gift card to local movie theater
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #12
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakegirl View Post
My DS(13) loves reading and anything else boy (cars, sports, etc). I got him a magazine subscription to "Automobile" -- just make sure you tear the last 2-3 pages out first... gotta love the ads for "dysfunction", among other things. But the rest is good, no inappropriate ads or anything.

I've also thought about "Sports Illustrated for Kids" magazine maybe for Christmas. Of course, clothes is always a big hit. Good luck finding the perfect gift!
Ds has had a subscription to ESPN for years now - I don't think they need a kids magazine at this age.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #13
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakegirl View Post

SI Kids is too young for a 13 year old.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #14
Fueledbycoffee
Mouseketeer

We started a tradition last year when ds turned 13... He gets $10 for each year and there were 13 crisp bills in his card. We will do the same for dd. Our thoughts are that it will eliminate the "I have no idea what to buy for his b-day", it will keep things fair for the kids, & he can plan accordingly if he chooses.
Fueledbycoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #15
MichelleinMaine
DIS Veteran

DS16 and his friends love stuff from thinkgeek.com, goofy Tshirts esp. They have them for various Tshows or movies, but also just random wierd ones. (DS has one that says "Obey gravity, it's the law" with a police man. Ok, yup, sure!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: