Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #211
rottiemom
DIS Veteran

Hi Hope! Popping in at the tail of this thread and will start from the beginning later today...you are a BUSY gal, I'm exhausted just from reading this page .

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hope- View Post
When I was researching Poseidon movies Percy Jackson did pop up a few times. One of Kya's friends loves the books and Kya like the actor who plays Percy so we may have to check those out, thanks for the tip.
The Percy Jackson movie was very good and I think it'll provide a watchable intro to some basics of Greek mythology. I think that the 2nd one is in the theaters now? But check out the first one...um...first .

More later...

When life hands you lemons, turn them into sour mix & make a pitcher of glowtinis.

"Is there pixie dust on the Darkside?" cramming SW/AQ/OU/IOA/LL into five days PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...8#post49023778
rottiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #212
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottiemom View Post
Hi Hope! Popping in at the tail of this thread and will start from the beginning later today...you are a BUSY gal, I'm exhausted just from reading this page .

The Percy Jackson movie was very good and I think it'll provide a watchable intro to some basics of Greek mythology. I think that the 2nd one is in the theaters now? But check out the first one...um...first .

More later...

We'll definitely check out the first Percy Jackson movie... first.

The second is in theaters because we keep seeing the ads but we have so many "must see" movies on our list that I think this one is going to have to wait until we can get it on DVD. We'll just have to be happy with the first one for now.

And, I'm not really all that busy... just temporarily unemployed with lots of time one my hands.
-Hope- is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #213
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Life Update!!

Forgive me for being but I got a job offer this morning!!

For those who haven't read through the mountains of posts in the PTR I recently lost my job due to budget cuts at the state level. I've been teaching GED for two years and really loved it. The program was funded through a grant that was managed by an independent agency serving four counties. We did not get our grant renewal this year after THIRTY YEARS!

Last night I met with the local school board to ask them if they could keep the class going that was in our small town. (Previously I was teaching a class there two nights a week in addition to the 2 day classes I taught in a neighboring town). This morning I got a call from the Superintendent of schools that the board voted to accept my proposal and hired me to teach the class.

It's far fewer hours than I was working before since they are only funding the evening class for our town BUT I'll also be able to sub in the district a couple of days a week. And our district pays certified teachers a great daily sub rate so if I can just get two days per week I'll be making nearly the same as I was before.

Honestly, it couldn't have come at a better time. Our fridge has been giving us problems off and on and last night it started again... this morning I woke up to a dripping ice maker. At this point none of it jeopardizes our trip because we have non-refundable plane tickets. But it does impact the extras we'll be able to afford not to mention my ability to enjoy myself without feeling guilty. So, the job alleviates a lot of that stress.

Anyway, that was totally OT but I just had to share.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #214
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

congrats on the new job!
it's great news and coming at a good time for you.

are you going to change your trip dates now?

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #215
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraven View Post
congrats on the new job!
it's great news and coming at a good time for you.

are you going to change your trip dates now?
No, we have those plane tickets so changing isn't really an option- unless we want to pay penalties that are nearly as much as we paid for the tickets. I only have to miss one night of class because it only meets twice a week. And the subbing I'll be doing is completely flexible so not an issue at all.

Oh, and thanks!!
Old 07-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #216
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

i don't know if it is a state issued thing or county for illinois.

check out the new license for subs.

it has changed for Lake county which started july 1st for substitute teachers.

wait.......why am i thinking you live in illinois?
i believe we had this conversation before.......

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #217
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraven View Post
i don't know if it is a state issued thing or county for illinois.

check out the new license for subs.

it has changed for Lake county which started july 1st for substitute teachers.

wait.......why am i thinking you live in illinois?
i believe we had this conversation before.......
Lol, nope not Illinois. I live in Missouri and have a teaching certificate in several areas including subbing. Thanks though.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #218
wanttobeinvienna
Mouseketeer

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

The stress of losing a job is so overwhelming- I am thrilled you not only got an offer, but in your field as well!

Clearly, every student who gets you will be very lucky!!!
1978-2000: WDW Once or twice a year, every year off property.
2003: AK off property 2004: WDW, HS off property
2005: WDW, Off Property 2006: WDW, Off Property
2007: WDW, Off Property 2009: WDW, All Star Resort
2010: WDW, All Star Resort

wanttobeinvienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #219
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttobeinvienna View Post
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

The stress of losing a job is so overwhelming- I am thrilled you not only got an offer, but in your field as well!

Clearly, every student who gets you will be very lucky!!!
Thank you!

It has been stressful but we're also really lucky that it hasn't been devastating. At any rate, I'm happy to have a job again, even one with reduced hours!
Old 07-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #220
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Okay, so before I share my latest creation I have a quick question. Today I noticed that the hours for US have changed the week of our trip. Previously they were listed as 9-7 but now it's been changed to 9-8.

This is GREAT news for us because I made our reservation at Finnegan's SO early so we'd have plenty of time to stake out a seat for Cinematic Spectacular after we eat. But with the later hours we could eat later, which would not only fit in better with when we normally eat but would also give us more time to have an afternoon break without rushing back to the park. I'd like to change the ressie but am unsure if the hours are likely to change again. So, my question is, are hours likely to change again? Should I change the ressie or wait? So far I don't think the new dining plan has interfered with people getting a reservation but I don't think FREE dining has started yet and am not sure if that's going to change things.

Any feedback here would be appreciated. In the mean time, onto the fun stuff...

I spent yesterday making lists to plan for the 50 day countdown party we're going to have on Friday. I invited my mom over but I don't know if she'll actually come. At any rate we're going to have a big, over the top movie night. I have a menu with main course, sweets and drinks. We'll have decorations and fun activities. And, of course, we'll be watching a movie. Any guesses what we might be watching? Ah, you'll just have to wait and see I suppose.

While I was prepping I was trying to decide if we would do a countdown chain, a calendar, something else or just skip that entirely. I finally settled on the something else...

I made 50 tear off tabs down the sides that the kids can pull off daily. Then I made 50 boxes with various things we want to do before the trip to be crossed off as we go as well. Some have movies to watch, some have things for us to do together, some have things I need to do on my own and some are just blank because we obviously aren't going to do something every day.

I made the countdown separate from the activities because I didn't want us to be tied to doing certain things on certain days; this way is just more flexible. We can even do more than one activity on the same day if we want/need to since activities aren't tied to the countdown.

I know that pic is small and hard to read so I'll list the activities for you. I've already posted a list of the movies we want to watch so I won't share those again.

Things listed for the kids and I to do together...
  • pack
  • make t-shirts
  • cash in change jar for wand money
  • make tip envelopes
  • shop for trip; snacks, clothes, sunscreen, toiletries, etc.

Things listed for me to do on my own...
  • transfer vacation funds needed for trip from savings to debit card
  • Photo Connect pre-order
  • finalize touring plans and either print or find an app to add them to
  • confirm reservations
  • pay off trip
  • online check-in for flights

Honestly, the list isn't that long- we're nearly ready for our trip!

Last edited by -Hope-; 07-28-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #221
Tinker326
DIS Veteran

I posted long ago - in another galaxy.. way back at the beginning of your TR... (last year maybe..... ) or maybe it was a pre-trip somewhere of another trip..when you and Karen were going together........

You recommended a Prime Lens to me at the time... I have been proud owner of said lens for over a year now (and love it!!). So overdue thanks for that.

Anyways, caught up & great job with all your plans....

I think you will find that doing Universal requires far less minute planning than Disney. The parks are smaller & easier to criss-cross...I think you will be great with the plans you have! And maybe even find time to spare!

I do have to say- your kids *May* not like FJ (the ride) if they don't like coasters. It's pretty intense (and almost an upside down ride). But it's soooooo cool and so maybe the coolness of being 'in the story' will outweigh the ride itself!

Looking forward to following your TR to see what wands you get (I got McGonnagls last year and plan on another this year!! Maybe Snape- I don't know) and how you like Butterbeer. Yum.
Tinker326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #222
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker326 View Post
I posted long ago - in another galaxy.. way back at the beginning of your TR... (last year maybe..... ) or maybe it was a pre-trip somewhere of another trip..when you and Karen were going together........

Ah yes, our BFF trip that is yet to be.

You recommended a Prime Lens to me at the time... I have been proud owner of said lens for over a year now (and love it!!). So overdue thanks for that.

Yay! I'm so glad that worked out for you. Which one did you get? I have a 50mm that rarely leaves my camera. It's my favorite lens ever!

Anyways, caught up & great job with all your plans....

I think you will find that doing Universal requires far less minute planning than Disney. The parks are smaller & easier to criss-cross...I think you will be great with the plans you have! And maybe even find time to spare!

Thanks, time to spare would be great! I know I don't *need* to have all of the plans it's just difficult to let go... and I'm one of those weirdos who thinks the planning is half the fun.

I do have to say- your kids *May* not like FJ (the ride) if they don't like coasters. It's pretty intense (and almost an upside down ride). But it's soooooo cool and so maybe the coolness of being 'in the story' will outweigh the ride itself!

I'm keeping this under my hat. I know it may be a bit intense but I also think they might like intense if they give it a chance... of course this might backfire horribly so I still haven't decided. But I *know* if I try to warn them they prob won't even try it so...

Looking forward to following your TR to see what wands you get (I got McGonnagls last year and plan on another this year!! Maybe Snape- I don't know) and how you like Butterbeer. Yum.
I McGonagall so that's a definite possibility. I think I'll know when I see it... I guess I'll let the wand choose me.

And I'm diabetic so there won't be much butterbeer for me but I'll have to at least sample it.

Oh, and
Old 07-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #223
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Really neat countdown list!!!

Glad to hear about the continuation of your class at night- so that will be a GED class? So very important!
natebenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #224
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Really neat countdown list!!!

Thanks!

Glad to hear about the continuation of your class at night- so that will be a GED class? So very important!
Yes, it's a GED class for now. Probably more information than you want but the GED company decided to roll into a for profit company and completely skyrocketed the cost of testing. Because people with no education can afford that, right?! Anyway, our state has decided to go with the HiSET (High School Equivalency Test) instead. Basically the same thing but from another company. Like I said, probably more information than you wanted but that's the job. We're just calling it Adult Ed so in the future if they switch test again we don't have to keep changing the name of the class.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #225
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

A mini-update for a mini-movie night.

We curled up and watched Men In Black tonight. It was a hoot!

The kids have seen MIB3 but had never seen the original. Just to make me feel super old Jace had to point out that it came out the year he was born. How is that POSSIBLE?! Seriously, my years are just running together anymore.

Anyway, it was loads of fun and we loved speculating what the ride will be like based on scenes from the movie. We're all laying bets that the beginning when Will Smith shoots the cut-out of the little girl carrying the physics book will play a part. The strobe light and rapid shooting just seems like a no-brainer. Guess we'll just have to wait and see!

The kids also loved laughing at Will Smith's pre MIB issued black suit wardrobe. It WAS the 90s and Will "West Philadelphia Born and Raised" Smith so...

We didn't do anything elaborate because we're planning something super fun later in the week but I had to do SOMETHING...

The kids were not huge fans of the Moon Pies, and they were barely connected. In MIB3 they actually visit the moon (if I remember correctly) but for tonight I just tried to think of something sort of space related.

But the real reason for movie nights is that it's an excuse to hang out together. As the kids get older scenes like this happen less and less...

I'll do anything I can to encourage these moments. Even watch cheesy Will Smith movies from the 90s.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: