Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #196
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Plans for final day

We are exactly two months out! I could have made another celebration post but I figured you guys are getting tired of my dancing.

Anyway, I'm taking it as a good sign that I haven't gotten a lot of comments about the touring plans. I'm choosing to believe that this means my plans look great instead of that you all think I'm a completely wack-a-doodle, commando planner and you stopped paying attention to my rambling long ago.

We'll have one more park day. We opted not to do park to park so our last day will be at IOA. We don't have specific touring plans and my notes just read that we'll hit anything we might have missed on our first day in this park and revisit favorites. I don't know if we'll try to hit early entry, it will depend how tired we are at this point, how many things we want to get done that day and how the crowds have been, especially in WWoHP.

We have a 2:00pm ressie at Confisco's and when we finish it will be nearly time to head out. We need to be on the road no later than 4:15 for our 6:30 flight to ensure we have time to fill up the rental with gas before returning it.

We have another connection in Atlanta and won't get to St. Louis until nearly 11pm. We are leaving our car at a sleep-n-park hotel near the airport and will be spending the night there when we get back. We live about 2 hours from the airport and will be exhausted, I'm sure. The hotel offers free breakfast and after we eat we'll head home, no specific timetable or hurry for that.

So, that's our plans! Over the next couple of months I'm sure I'll refine and tweak a few things but I'm mostly focusing on fun! We have tons of movie nights to do and shirts to make so I'm sure I'll have plenty to keep rambling about...
-Hope- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #197
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

i'm still looking at your plans.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #198
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraven View Post
i'm still looking at your plans.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #199
Pixiedust530
DIS Veteran

I'm still reading along...but to be honest, it's a little bit like reading a foreign language. I have no idea what these rides and restaurants are that you speak of. Butterbeer...YEP...got that one! Otherwaise...

I would say that you have done a good job organizing your plans, prioritizing what you want to do, and finding multiple dining options. GREAT job!!!

Jazz Hands and Pixiedust...they go together like PB&J! - An Adult Only Oct 2013 TR
Wishin' & Hopin', Plannin' & Dreamin' - Oct. 2013 PTR
Oct. 2011 PTR - NEWS FLASH: You must be 4 years old to go to Disney World!

************************************************** ****************************************
June 1984:Offsite - June 1986:Offsite - July 1989:Contemporary - August 1992:Dixie Landings - June/July 2006:Offsite -
October 2011:All-Star Movies
Pixiedust530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #200
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixiedust530 View Post
I'm still reading along...but to be honest, it's a little bit like reading a foreign language. I have no idea what these rides and restaurants are that you speak of. Butterbeer...YEP...got that one! Otherwaise...

I would say that you have done a good job organizing your plans, prioritizing what you want to do, and finding multiple dining options. GREAT job!!!
Thanks and I completely understand! I'm used to talking to myself so when someone actually joins in it's always a treat.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #201
wanttobeinvienna
Mouseketeer

Whoooo Hoooooo!

I have LOVED reading through your thread! Looks like I will be following your trip just about one month after you! I will be there Nov 21 for a SURPRISE trip for my little family...and I can't wait!

This is a *little* last minute planning for me- I just decided that we were going last week, and put a deposit down today... well- 5 minutes ago

Disboards has provided some of the greatest advice for my Disney planning- I know the kids and I were able to have some of the most UNIQUE and MEMORABLE experiences because of the advice I had received on these boards- and I already can tell the same is happening with this trip!!

Looking forward to continuing to learn more from you...and follow in your footsteps!!

MC
1978-2000: WDW Once or twice a year, every year off property.
2003: AK off property 2004: WDW, HS off property
2005: WDW, Off Property 2006: WDW, Off Property
2007: WDW, Off Property 2009: WDW, All Star Resort
2010: WDW, All Star Resort

wanttobeinvienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #202
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttobeinvienna View Post
I have LOVED reading through your thread! Looks like I will be following your trip just about one month after you! I will be there Nov 21 for a SURPRISE trip for my little family...and I can't wait!

This is a *little* last minute planning for me- I just decided that we were going last week, and put a deposit down today... well- 5 minutes ago

Disboards has provided some of the greatest advice for my Disney planning- I know the kids and I were able to have some of the most UNIQUE and MEMORABLE experiences because of the advice I had received on these boards- and I already can tell the same is happening with this trip!!

Looking forward to continuing to learn more from you...and follow in your footsteps!!

MC
If you've made it this far and not run from my rambling craziness then you've done well.

There is so much good info here on the UO boards and everyone is extremely helpful so I'm sure you're going to have loads of fun planning!

EDIT: I took out my questions about your trip when I realized I'm already following your PTR.

Last edited by -Hope-; 07-22-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #203
Alysa
DIS Veteran

LOVE the album! You have a bunch of cuties there. And can't wait to see your photos of Despicable me!
78 & 85: Offsite w. parents, 00: New Years Eve at Port Orleans & Anniversary at BWV, 01: Star Wars Weekend at POR & Christmas at GF & BWV, 04: Baby's first trip AKL, 05: Spring at BCV; 06: Big Family Trip, BCV & Vero-WL homeless trip, 08: Minnie Marathon with my sister, Big family Not so scary halloween party, 10: Star Wars Weekend boys trip & Vero/WL summer holiday, Big Family Christmas, 11: Star Wars weekend, Summer road trip

Up next October 2013 with our new baby!
Alysa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #204
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alysa View Post
LOVE the album! You have a bunch of cuties there. And can't wait to see your photos of Despicable me!
Thanks!
Old 07-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #205
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Movie Day- Immortals

We had a somewhat unexpected day at home today and decided to do a movie day.

One of the areas of UO with theming I think my kids will be least familiar with is Lost Continent. They have some basic understanding of Greek mythology that has been watered down and altered through TV and movies (especially Supernatural and Thor). I have searched and searched for movies that feature Poseidon and even mistakenly got a movie from Netflix that was about the ship instead of the god.

I finally found a fairly recent movie with a decent cast called Immortals.* Poseidon is one of the listed characters and it's all about the gods coming down from Mt. Olympus to intervene in a mortal war. Seemed perfect and was available on Netflix streaming.

I made Greek "nachos" for us to enjoy while watching the movie.

I bought the pita chips back when we had that wrong Poseidon movie and all of the other ingredients were things I had on hand. I'm kind of a lazy cook so I just threw together some things that seemed Greek and hoped for the best.

The base of the nachos consisted of ground beef sauteed with onions, red and yellow bell peppers and celery salt. We had the pita chips and mini bell peppers for dipping as well as flat bread to make wraps. And, of course, my favorite tzatziki sauce. Again, I didn't follow a specific recipe- I love tzatziki though and have made it before so I winged it from memory. I mixed Greek yogurt, pureed cucumber, celery salt and garlic powder. I hate to toot my own horn but these came out GREAT! Kya really liked them too but Jace wouldn't even try it. Which is the main reason we are skipping Mythos even though I really love Greek food.

Once we had our yummy treats we settled in to watch the movie. It didn't have great reviews so I wasn't really expecting much. It actually wasn't half bad though and Jace really enjoyed it. I was a bit disappointed that even though Poseidon was listed by name as a character he was never identified in the film. There was a group of gods that fought together and only two were named, Zeus and Athena; the others were just fighting in the background together. So, I'm not really sure how much this movie prepped us for Poseidon's Fury but it was a fun way to kill a hot afternoon. And we got yummy treats!

We didn't do any other activities. I thought about doing some sort of mock Olympic competition but the kids seemed disinterested. They enjoy puzzle type things and I can usually find some sort of word search or something to go with movies but my printer is out of ink. I ordered some today though so I'll be prepared for our next movie day.

Tomorrow we're headed out to see Despicable Me 2. Just going to the movie and buying popcorn practically requires a small loan so we won't have any other treats or activities to go with this one. I wish the shirts we ordered from jiffyshirts to make our park shirts would have gotten here in time for that since Kya is making a purple minion tank. It would have been a fun activity AND she could have worn it to the movie. Ah well, maybe next time. As an aside, she's also thinking of doing some purple streaks in her hair for our trip in honor of the new purple minions. We'll have to see the movie before she decides for sure but I think she will. She had pink streaks for our trip to WDW and wants to do something equally special for UO.

We have lots more movies we want to see before our trip so lots more movie days to come. Some laid back like this one, others more over the top- our big, special, 50 day countdown party will be next week. I think my mom might even join us for that one, should be fun!

*A bit of a disclaimer- Immortals is VERY violent. My kids are older and we are pretty laid back about this sort of thing but I'd hate for someone to watch this on my recommendation and be upset. For a frame of reference I would say it's as violent and bloody as Tarantino.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #206
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Well, I'm glad to see that you had a movie day since we didn't get together! Oh and you ARE wack-a-doodle, no worries there! I'm trying to give you all the crap I can today since I have to be nice to you tomorrow. That's a rule right? Be nice to people on their birthday? It will be hard, but I'll try!
Twoboysnmygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #207
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
Well, I'm glad to see that you had a movie day since we didn't get together! Oh and you ARE wack-a-doodle, no worries there! I'm trying to give you all the crap I can today since I have to be nice to you tomorrow. That's a rule right? Be nice to people on their birthday? It will be hard, but I'll try!
That's right, get it out of your system now!

And I had to have a movie day to MAKE UP for not seeing you today.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:42 AM   #208
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

We went to see DM2 yesterday and it was SUCH a cute movie! About halfway through Jace leaned over and said it was the funniest movie ever. After the movie he said he liked that it got more serious as the plot developed and it was a good balance of comedy and storytelling. Seriously, what 14 year old evaluates movies like that? I may have the next Roger Ebert on my hands.

So, we didn't know much about the movie going in and just seeing it was enough of a treat but I couldn't help thinking about food and activities for a movie day while we were watching. Yep, every time they'd have a treat I'd make a mental note, lol!

I thought I'd share the ideas so they could benefit the rest of you who enjoy movie nights. And so I could refer back when it comes out on DVD.

Food
-Mexican food, especially salsa and guacamole with tortilla chips
-ice cream sundae bar
-purple koolaid
-cupcakes with purple icing
-jelly (must have)
-green Popsicles on a stick (or Rice Krispie treats dipped in green icing to look like Popsicles)

Decorations
-Cinco de Mayo
-beach
-lots of purple
-drink umbrellas

Activities
-anything with magnets; make refrigerator magnets, see what objects you can pick up, make a race of picking up the most objects, etc.
-make a volcano
-actually watch the movie! So often when Karen and I do movie days with the girls we never get around to watching the movie. But this one is so good that it's a must see.
-minion paper dolls with various outfits including French maid, golfer, hula girl with coconut bra, etc.

Hope that helps some of you!

Last edited by -Hope-; 07-25-2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #209
coastgirl
DIS Veteran

Hope I haven't kept up well--we are busily prepping for our own trip in a couple of weeks. Had to say I LOVED those journals/autograph books you made. What a cute idea. How is the texture of the paper for writing, is it regular paper? I got autograph books printed at Staples on card stock a few years ago, and it was fine, but the glossy paper had me worried.

Do you know the movie "Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief"? He's a mortal son of Poseidon. The book is waaaay better but the movie is good for what it is. (Kind of like Harry Potter book vs. movie, movies only lack when you've read the book and know what's missing.) Not saying Lightning Thief is as good as Harry, but it's worth watching, with a bit of an intro into some of the Classical characters and creatures.

Anyway, enjoying your PT. I'll be by the time you post your TR though because we'll be done too...

1st trip May/June 06
Jan/Feb 07, same crew at CBR. DCL Magic Eastern Dec 07 CSR Sept 2009
Universal/WWoHP in Sunset Lakes villa Feb 2010 Same again Aug 2013 in Emerald Island villa

PTR/TR Without the Mouse Round 2
TR: First visit to Universal/SeaWorld Feb 2011
coastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #210
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Hi JoAnne!

Your trip is SO close!! I want to hear all about it when you get back! It is always sad to think about it ending but just think, when you get back you can do a TR, then you can read my TR and will extend the magic at least a little.

The photo books aren't really glossy, at least not like a picture is glossy. It's thicker and not quite like, but similar too a magazine. Or if you've ever looked at a photography book- it's like the pages in those. We had similar, though much smaller, books from Snapfish that we used for Epcot passports on our trip to WDW and they worked well for the CM to sign, stamp, etc. No smudges.

When I was researching Poseidon movies Percy Jackson did pop up a few times. One of Kya's friends loves the books and Kya like the actor who plays Percy so we may have to check those out, thanks for the tip.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: