Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Doing the Happy Dance!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #751
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loreli View Post
How did I miss this??
Brown Derby is 2 table service credits!!
This is a BIG disapointment for me. I really wanted to eat some great food @ WDW and already gave up many restaurants in favor of character breakfasts for DD7 who does not partake in lunch -due to med side effect
ADRs on Tues, gotta pick a replacement restaurant, guess I will try to make BOG dinner ressie.
Whats a good CS restaurant @ HS? Never even looked as I was planning 50's Prime & Brown Derby.
HBD is the best. The other choices at HS are a bit lacking - definitely the least variety of the parks. But that said, 50s and Sci-Fi are both fun, but the food is just ok....sort of along the quality of a diner. Hollywood and Vine is a character buffet, which some people love, but I would not choose to eat there unless I had young kids who were into the Playhouse Disney set. Then there's Mama Melrose, which I believe still offers the Fantasmic dinner package. I only ate there once about 12 years ago, but people rave about it. I live in NY and we have a ton of great Italian restaurants, so that may have colored my perspective.

I'm not sure what your day looks like, but another option may be to look at the restaurants at the BW and BC/YC. You could take the boat over from HS or walk (about 20 minutes), have dinner, and then go back to HS for the rest of the night.

PS - your welcome on the church - I hope you can find something convenient!

Old 02-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #752
lovingeire
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loreli
How did I miss this??
Brown Derby is 2 table service credits!!
This is a BIG disapointment for me. I really wanted to eat some great food @ WDW and already gave up many restaurants in favor of character breakfasts for DD7 who does not partake in lunch -due to med side effect
ADRs on Tues, gotta pick a replacement restaurant, guess I will try to make BOG dinner ressie.
Whats a good CS restaurant @ HS? Never even looked as I was planning 50's Prime & Brown Derby.
We ate at Pizza Planet in Dec and thought it was tasty. We love PTC! We eat there every trip!

DL Native=Too many trips to count!DLP: 1998Tokyo Disney 2000
Disney Magic - 3/2014
DW: 4/1995 - Off Site; 12/2009 - CBR (DH & DS1's 1st trip!); 12/2012 - AoA Cars Suite (DS2's 1st trip!); 5/2013 - Pop AEP; 8/2013 - WL; 1/2015 - WL; 2/2015 -POFQ
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #753
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans

All ADR's made
Park Days Planned
Haircut at Harmony Barbershop made

Now my main focus for the next few months will be hunting out rumors of things that may or may not pan out on our trip, the thing with rumors is you might only hear about them once and they are never updated or confirmed, so when something pans out it's a added bonus
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 02-17-2013, 06:54 AM   #754
ThereYouSeeHer
DIS Veteran

Has anyone tried Disney Quest before? Did you feel it was worth the money? We know there are DQ vouchers with our MYW package, and we were wondering if we should take advantage of them this year. In August, our girls will be ages 8 and 4 (almost 5).

Also, has anyone used Undercover Tourist before. I know they get good reviews, but wondering if anyone has personal experience either good or bad. They seem to have the lowest prices for DQ. Thanks!

2003 May (Offsite), 2007 Dec (ASMo), 2008 Dec (POP), 2009 Dec (ASMu, CSR, and AKL), 2010 Dec (ASSp, SSR), 2011 Sep (Dream, POFQ), 2012 Sep (OKW, Dream), 2013 Aug (AoA, POR, ASMo), 2014 Nov (Poly, ASMu), 2015 Oct (Vero, Magic, FW Cabins)

Disney Bingo
Values left to try: None! (Done: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, POP, AOA)
Moderates left to try: CBR, FW (Done: POFQ, POR, CSR)
Deluxes & Villas left to try: GF, Poly, WL, YC, BC, BW, CR (Done: OKW, AKL, SSR)
Beach Resorts left to try: HHI, Vero
Cruise Ships left to try: Magic, Wonder, Fantasy (Done: Dream)
Months left to try: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, Jun, Jul, Oct, Nov (Done: May, Aug, Sep, Dec)

Splish, Splash, the Dream was a Blast! 9/1/2011 Trip Report
Old 02-17-2013, 07:15 AM   #755
anjalee6
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereYouSeeHer View Post
Has anyone tried Disney Quest before? Did you feel it was worth the money? We know there are DQ vouchers with our MYW package, and we were wondering if we should take advantage of them this year. In August, our girls will be ages 8 and 4 (almost 5).

Also, has anyone used Undercover Tourist before. I know they get good reviews, but wondering if anyone has personal experience either good or bad. They seem to have the lowest prices for DQ. Thanks!
We have been to Disney Quest a few times using our water parks and more passes. My son really enjoyed it. We went last year and he was 5 at the time. He loves video games so it was right up his alley. By daughter was only 3 so we spent most of our time shopping at DTD. If your kids like simulators and games like you would find at arcades, then they would probably like it. It is definitely something different, but not something I feel we have to visit every time we go.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:25 AM   #756
krd315
Mouseketeer

Airfare booked!
ADR's done!
Pirate league reservation done!
now to wait 6 more months......this is the hardest part.

Next up: Sept 2014 -POR
Past trips: Aug 2013, Sept 2012, Jan 2012, Aug 2000
Old 02-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #757
msyjoa
MJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loreli
Thursday Night's
Question of the Day
How do you snack at Disney?
Are you planning to bring snacks or are you having them shipped to your room?
Do you haul them in a back pack into the parks?
Do you use up all of your snack credits on the dinning plan?
Any snacking tips to share with the group?
I am curious too! I know we are planning on ordering and having a few things sent to the room. We aren't doing the meal plan so snacks will be oop. Our dd will be four so I'm going to have a stroller, so I figure we will use that for snack storage in the park.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #758
sahmoffour
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereYouSeeHer View Post

We went last December, our kids were 4, 5, 8 and 10 at the time. DQ was most of their favorite part of the trip. I didn't love it just because it's not my thing, but the kids had a blast there. I think if you have the vouchers anyways, I would take advantage of them.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #759
ThereYouSeeHer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjalee6 View Post
We have been to Disney Quest a few times using our water parks and more passes. My son really enjoyed it. We went last year and he was 5 at the time. He loves video games so it was right up his alley. By daughter was only 3 so we spent most of our time shopping at DTD. If your kids like simulators and games like you would find at arcades, then they would probably like it. It is definitely something different, but not something I feel we have to visit every time we go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmoffour View Post
We went last December, our kids were 4, 5, 8 and 10 at the time. DQ was most of their favorite part of the trip. I didn't love it just because it's not my thing, but the kids had a blast there. I think if you have the vouchers anyways, I would take advantage of them.
Thanks! I believe we get two vouchers, so we are debating paying about $80 extra for two additional tickets. We may also use the mini golf tickets this time around. Just trying to plan for any extras!

2003 May (Offsite), 2007 Dec (ASMo), 2008 Dec (POP), 2009 Dec (ASMu, CSR, and AKL), 2010 Dec (ASSp, SSR), 2011 Sep (Dream, POFQ), 2012 Sep (OKW, Dream), 2013 Aug (AoA, POR, ASMo), 2014 Nov (Poly, ASMu), 2015 Oct (Vero, Magic, FW Cabins)

Disney Bingo
Values left to try: None! (Done: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, POP, AOA)
Moderates left to try: CBR, FW (Done: POFQ, POR, CSR)
Deluxes & Villas left to try: GF, Poly, WL, YC, BC, BW, CR (Done: OKW, AKL, SSR)
Beach Resorts left to try: HHI, Vero
Cruise Ships left to try: Magic, Wonder, Fantasy (Done: Dream)
Months left to try: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, Jun, Jul, Oct, Nov (Done: May, Aug, Sep, Dec)

Splish, Splash, the Dream was a Blast! 9/1/2011 Trip Report
Old 02-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #760
TI double-GUH ER
Mouseketeer

3 Days until I can book my ADRs!!! Can't wait!

We've narrowed down our list - bumping some places to "next trip" or "runner up" status.
We also have a tentative plan for which parks we're going to each day.
Tuesday - arrive/ check in/ pool day/ DTD, dinner at Fulton's, dessert at Ghiridelli
Wednesday -MK - early lunch at BOG, dinner at Tony's
Thursday -MK am, then park hop to EP for lunch at Via Napoli's
Friday- AK, lunch at TRex
Saturday- HS, breakfast at Hollywood and Vine, possible early dinner at 50's Prime Time
Sunday - EP- breakfast in Norway
Monday- MK - breakfast at Crystal Palace
Tuesday come home

The inlaws might be joining us for part of the trip, so we might adjust the days again, but I told them they have to let me know before I make the ressies if they want to be included!!

I'm not sure about that first dinner though - I'm tempted to trade it out for Chef Mickey's or Ohana. All 3 would be new for us. Anyone have advice that way?
Old 02-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #761
Loreli
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TI double-GUH ER View Post
I'm not sure about that first dinner though - I'm tempted to trade it out for Chef Mickey's or Ohana. All 3 would be new for us. Anyone have advice that way?
I looked into Fulton's as I wanted to eat there on our arrival night. It would have to be OOP for us and the prices were too rich. You are looking at $36-59.99 per person (according to the My Disney Experience app) for dinner. But you are eating on a paddle boat!
I was reading about some changes to Ohana's menu. Now there is one sauce served with the meats - peanut, and the other 2 sauces are not available. There is mango and papaya in the salad now too. This may be a tasty change, I haven't eaten there.
Don't know about Chef Mickey's.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #762
Whereisalyssa
Self Proclaimed Princess and former CM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TI double-GUH ER View Post
3 Days until I can book my ADRs!!! Can't wait!

We've narrowed down our list - bumping some places to "next trip" or "runner up" status.
We also have a tentative plan for which parks we're going to each day.
Tuesday - arrive/ check in/ pool day/ DTD, dinner at Fulton's, dessert at Ghiridelli
Wednesday -MK - early lunch at BOG, dinner at Tony's
Thursday -MK am, then park hop to EP for lunch at Via Napoli's
Friday- AK, lunch at TRex
Saturday- HS, breakfast at Hollywood and Vine, possible early dinner at 50's Prime Time
Sunday - EP- breakfast in Norway
Monday- MK - breakfast at Crystal Palace
Tuesday come home

The inlaws might be joining us for part of the trip, so we might adjust the days again, but I told them they have to let me know before I make the ressies if they want to be included!!

Sorry to bug but - your trip starts on the 20th right? so you get to make ADR's on wednesday morning? hahaha just making sure i have the right day!

Me(22) - Brother(19) - Mom - my DBF(21) - Boots(4) - Mittens(2) -

ICP Cast Member summer 2014
Old 02-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #763
mrstomrice
Thomas and Jake's Mommy:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loreli View Post
Thursday Night's
Question of the Day

How do you snack at Disney?
Are you planning to bring snacks or are you having them shipped to your room?
Do you haul them in a back pack into the parks?
Do you use up all of your snack credits on the dinning plan?
Any snacking tips to share with the group?
We have done many different things, from ordering from Garden Grocer, which I find very convenient, to shopping there when I had a rental car. We packed a lot of snacks this past December, including a larger Tupperware container that had clementines, bananas, granola bars, pop tarts, etc. We also packed a sleeve of crackers and a jar of peanut butter for easy breakfast snacks so we can eat on the run. We used to buy water but we now always rely on the free filtered ice water in the parks...my favorite tip of all! If we did buy breakfast, we would get a water and use the refillable mug and save the water for the park. We always use all of our credits for snacks. We like to get the kids uncrusatables as a snack for a breakfast. You can also get a bagel. A splurge snack is the ice cream sandwich at the bakery...enough for 2-3 to share. Dole whip floats are a must do snack once or twice on the trip!
Old 02-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #764
JavArmy
DIS Veteran

Hello August crew!!

I have just convinced my husband and my mom to let me go to Disney World again. We have been planning a cruise for 2014, so my husband didn't want to spend any more money, but i convinced him we would live poor to pay for a vacation this summer. Since my parents couldn't go on the cruise with us (they didn't want to pull my 15 year old sister out of school) they agreed to go with us in August!! Wahoo!!

I have all my ADRs made, I got all the restaurants i wanted, but not all the times i wanted, but that's okay, we'll make due!

I'm super excited for this trip because I feel like we've been enough times that we've seen all the "must see" stuff and now we can just kinda take our time and enjoy. We aren't planning on going to Fantasmic or waiting forever to see a parade or fireworks, unless we feel like it at the time. It's kind of liberating, haha!

Anyway, I look forward to counting down, looking forward, and planning with all of you here!

Old 02-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #765
mrstomrice
Thomas and Jake's Mommy:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Commando View Post
All ADR's made
Park Days Planned
Haircut at Harmony Barbershop made

Now my main focus for the next few months will be hunting out rumors of things that may or may not pan out on our trip, the thing with rumors is you might only hear about them once and they are never updated or confirmed, so when something pans out it's a added bonus
Have you heard if they found gel to replace what they used to use? When we were there in August they had just stopped using it. It was the only reason we got the boys haircuts there.

Tags
august 2013, lgmh, planning, resorts, restaurants

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: