Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast > DIS Adventures by Disney Trips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #31
NYC MM
Working for Vacations

Hallo, ich kann nicht glauben, dass wir nach Deutschland gehen. No I haven't gotten the German down yet .. I did the cliff notes version and used a translator.. so in English its..
(Hello I can't believe that we are going to Germany) , John and I are so excited about this trip too but it's really our traveling family that we are so excited to see again.
Of all the places that we have traveled to and loved .... This one is mine!!. While one half of me is Irish and I wouldn't give that up... the other wonderful half ( Can't tell you what John calls it ) is German and I AM SO EXCITED. My fathers family comes from Seligenstadt which is only 22 minutes from Frankfurt... however it's an hour from Heidelberg which is our first stop from the airport.. I'm gonna have to figure something out to get there. Well as Jim said ...at least I have 12 months to think about it. .

Maybe between now and the trip I can get to Epcot and really stop at the Germany pavilion and not just pass it by.

Micki
NYC MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #32
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone!

While I won't come along on your trip, I decided to come here to offer any help, advice or info you might want. I am a DISer and podcast listener from Germany and was very excited to hear that the DIS is going to travel to Germany when the trip was first announced on the podcast. A little while ago, I contacted Kevin and he suggested that I should come here - so that's what I am doing now!

I live in Nuremberg in Bavaria (about 100 miles north of Munich), but I went to university in Munich and used to work in Frankfurt, so I am very familiar with a lot of the places you are going to visit during your travels - as well as with both airports in Munich and Frankfurt (they are the two big hubs for air travel in Germany).

If you have any questions about anything specific to Germany - be it travel, customs, food, drink, financial issues or whatever else - please ask, I will try my best to help!

Magdalene
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #33
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

My new Ipad Speaker!!

k5jmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #34
apurplebrat

Turning the whole world purple!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5jmh View Post
My new Ipad Speaker!!

Was that the noise I just heard here in Boston?!?!
Old 09-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #35
MinnieGarden
Sweetie, let's focus on vacation..... step away from the techie stuff
Life would never been the same after the Podcast Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC MM View Post
Hallo, ich kann nicht glauben, dass wir nach Deutschland gehen. No I haven't gotten the German down yet .. I did the cliff notes version and used a translator.. so in English its..
(Hello I can't believe that we are going to Germany) , John and I are so excited about this trip too but it's really our traveling family that we are so excited to see again.
Of all the places that we have traveled to and loved .... This one is mine!!. While one half of me is Irish and I wouldn't give that up... the other wonderful half ( Can't tell you what John calls it ) is German and I AM SO EXCITED. My fathers family comes from Seligenstadt which is only 22 minutes from Frankfurt... however it's an hour from Heidelberg which is our first stop from the airport.. I'm gonna have to figure something out to get there. Well as Jim said ...at least I have 12 months to think about it. .

Maybe between now and the trip I can get to Epcot and really stop at the Germany pavilion and not just pass it by.

Hi Micki! So glad you and John will be on the adventure! My mom's family is from Eisenach, which is about 1.5 hours by train from Frankfurt. So I think we will probably go check it out. But, we have 12 months to figure it out!

MinnieGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #36
MinnieGarden
Sweetie, let's focus on vacation..... step away from the techie stuff
Life would never been the same after the Podcast Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Hi everyone!

While I won't come along on your trip, I decided to come here to offer any help, advice or info you might want. I am a DISer and podcast listener from Germany and was very excited to hear that the DIS is going to travel to Germany when the trip was first announced on the podcast. A little while ago, I contacted Kevin and he suggested that I should come here - so that's what I am doing now!

I live in Nuremberg in Bavaria (about 100 miles north of Munich), but I went to university in Munich and used to work in Frankfurt, so I am very familiar with a lot of the places you are going to visit during your travels - as well as with both airports in Munich and Frankfurt (they are the two big hubs for air travel in Germany).

If you have any questions about anything specific to Germany - be it travel, customs, food, drink, financial issues or whatever else - please ask, I will try my best to help!

Magdalene
Thanks so much Magdalene! I will be sending you a PM soon. My mom's family is from Eisenach which isn't far from Nuremberg, and I need a little advice on a couple of things if you don't mind.

MinnieGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:31 AM   #37
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Oktoberfest 2012

Hi everyone! Today at noon the 2012 Wies'n (the local name for the Oktoberfest - it means meadow as it takes place on an area that used to be a meadow outside the city and still is called Theresienwiese - Teresa's meadow - today) started.

Therefore the media here is full with reports about it and I thought since you will be in Munich for Oktoberfest 2013 you might be interested in some links.

The first is an article from the English language section of Germany's largest online news website "Spiegel online":

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-857213.html

And the second one is a short video (I hope you can access it from the US) of the mayor of Munich tapping the first keg today at 12 noon which marks the official start. No beer is sold before that ritual. The current mayor has been in office for a number of years, so he is already very skilled in the art of keg tapping and he only needed two strikes which is considered an achievement!

http://www.br.de/fernsehen/bayerisch...pftis-100.html

Oh - and he says "O'zapft is" which is Bavarian for "Angezapft ist es" and that translates into "It is tapped".

Hope you enjoy these!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #38
JWren1234
Disney Adventurer
Steakhouse 55 - Now that is some good dining!

Quote:
Hi everyone! Today at noon the 2012 Wies'n (the local name for the Oktoberfest - it means meadow as it takes place on an area that used to be a meadow outside the city and still is called Theresienwiese - Teresa's meadow - today) started.

Therefore the media here is full with reports about it and I thought since you will be in Munich for Oktoberfest 2013 you might be interested in some links.

The first is an article from the English language section of Germany's largest online news website "Spiegel online":

And the second one is a short video (I hope you can access it from the US) of the mayor of Munich tapping the first keg today at 12 noon which marks the official start. No beer is sold before that ritual. The current mayor has been in office for a number of years, so he is already very skilled in the art of keg tapping and he only needed two strikes which is considered an achievement!

Oh - and he says "O'zapft is" which is Bavarian for "Angezapft ist es" and that translates into "It is tapped".

Hope you enjoy these!
Thank you for posting the link to the article and video! Very interesting!

Jason
JWren1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #39
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Starting to think about what to do after our Adventure and we think we might take the train from Munich to Salzberg, Austria.

It's about 90 minutes by train and the rates seem reasonable.

We want to climb every mountain......
Old 09-23-2012, 10:06 AM   #40
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

Is there power on the train?

k5jmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #41
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

Quote:
Is there power on the train?
Isn't the real question whether the power is German or Austrian?
Old 09-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #42
Sarabi's Cubs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
Starting to think about what to do after our Adventure and we think we might take the train from Munich to Salzberg, Austria.

It's about 90 minutes by train and the rates seem reasonable.

We want to climb every mountain......
I have a total visual of the Do-re-mi song with DISers instead of the Von Trapp family. Thanks for the Monday morning chuckle!

Laurie

Contemporary 1972, Fort Wilderness 7/79, WDW offsite 6/84, WDW offsite 12/89, GF 9/96, BC 11/03, Disneyland offsite 6/05, BC 4/08, YC 1/2010, POR 12/2010, Disney Magic New Year's Cruise 12/2010, DIS Exclusive Knights & Lights ABD 9/11, Easter Dream cruise 4/2012, BWV 10/2012, Kidani 4/2013, DIS Exclusive Once Upon a Fairytale ABD 9/13, Kidani 12/13
Sarabi's Cubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #43
NYC MM
Working for Vacations

One year from today ..we will be in GERMANY...just saying !!

Micki
Old 09-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #44
NYC MM
Working for Vacations

Quote:
My new Ipad Speaker!!

How are you getting THIS on the plane ?

Micki
Old 09-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #45
NYC MM
Working for Vacations

Quote:

Hope you enjoy these!
..Thanks for the video , but really !! no beer is sold before that ritual.. You mean for the hour before or for the day or for the week before ?/

My dad used to sing a little drinking song .. I can't remember it now but if I heard it I would remember all of the words.. Of course it was in German .. maybe you know of a video of drinking songs .

I think your mayor is very skilled as I thought that he did the tapping in ONE !
I'm going to keep the Spiegel site handy .. Thank you for your posts.

Micki

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: