Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #16
torsie24
Or I could call it the postalabration
Now I know to wear flip flops!
Got engaged on a trip to Disneyland Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPaddict View Post
Never seen any of this during my visits. I think security do a great job in keeping the park safe.

You get pickpockets everywhere.
Definitely.

And I think as a tourist, and even in any crowded public place you need to be alert.

Pickpocketing is awful, but you can really do yourself favours in preventing it happening to you. I'd never carry anything of any value in a pocket that I can't keep my hand against when needed.

Actually, I lie. I carried a small backpack some days in DLRP. But my phone (the only valueble thing in there) was in a hidden pocket of the backpack that was against my back, took me about 5 minutes to dig the darn thing out so there was no chance anyone was getting to that without me noticing!

WDW: 1994-I Drive / 2009-AKL / 2011-Disney Wedding -AKL-GF RPC-BW-BLT
DLRP 1997-HNY / 2000-SL / 2008-SL / 2009-DLH / 2012-HNY
DLR: 2005-Day Trip
torsie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #17
wbl2745
I've gone over to the Silly Symphony Swings to "spin dry."

There are some objective features that can be compared between DLP and the US parks. Admittedly I've only been to DLP once, but I was shocked at how run down and uncared DLP appeared.

This may be a minor issue, but there were weeds all over the park. And not just two day old weeds, but weeds that were one to two meters high! The trees on the hill by the castle clearly needed haircuts. Topiary need constant care. There were a lot of place that just needed some paint. Star Tours, for example, had big sections of the wall where the paint had pealed off. You will not see any of that happening at DLR, which I am most familiar with.

The biggest complaint I had was that the restrooms at DLP were just filthy, messes on the floor, piles of paper. You can argue that when there are a lot of people using a restroom, that's what happens, but that just means you have to have people cleaning the restrooms frequently.

We stayed at the Sequoia Lodge and our room was also filthy. Someone had dropped popcorn in the hall and tracked it all over our room. We had to have them come and vacuum it up. The bathroom also needed a good going over. The beds were not properly made.

Setting aside my concerns about upkeep, I think the DLP is fantastic. The themeing is out of this world. The castle is breathtaking. You can tell where they got cheap in the park, but overall I think DLP is wonderful. DHS on the other hand is cheaper than Disney's California Adventure before they spent $1,000,000 fixing what previous management had done. I felt like DHS was just a bunch of attractions without any cohesiveness. Disney needs to buy DLP and spend a €1,000,000 fixing DHS. They also need to fire the managers over maintenance and double the maintenance staff.

DVC Member since February 24, 2010
wbl2745 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2012, 04:44 AM   #18
JohnnySharp2
No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a child. Thank god Joshua has a very tall dad!

We have been to Florida a dozen times, and DLRP just twice.

It's unfair to compare but it's also an obvious thing to do.
It also depends on the context Paris for example is a wonderful historic city whereas nobody would visit Orlando if the theme parks were not there.

The Disneyland Park compares very favourably with Magic Kingdom, though the Studios is a bit of a let down.

The real advantage of DLRP is everything is close together, and within easy reach from the UK. The dis-advantages of DLRP is dining is expensive and not in the same league as WDW plus outside the parks things could be improved, Disney Village for example is dull and un-inspiring, the new World Of Disney store is a welcome addition.
I think the recent updates have improved the experience also, I have to admit I was blown away by how good Main Street USA looked at the Disneyland Park in March, better than anything I have seen at MK.

In Orlando you also have so much more than Disney. Although Val d'europe, La Vallee Outlets and of course Paris itself are closeby.

That said, we are going for the 3rd time to Paris next week and staying at the Disneyland Hotel again. If you can stay there and have a bit of luck with the weather it's as good as any WDW experience as the location is just perfect.

It's the combination of staying at the DLH without the stress and fatique of all the travelling with a disabled son that is part of the appeal for us.
In addition because the weather is cooler and everything is so compact there are a lot of things we can do at DLRP that we have
difficulty doing in WDW, bearing in mind Joshua is autistic.

Last edited by JohnnySharp2; 09-06-2012 at 04:54 AM.
JohnnySharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #19
Metsoskil
Citi Field, Rehoboth Beach, and WDW are my 3 favorite places.

By my signature you can see I've been to WDW many times. We just got back from a 3 week trip to Europe which concluded with 3 days at DLP.

There are many great things about DLP that you can't get at the American Parks:

The incredible beauty and theming of Disneyland Paris
Adventure Isle is awesome
Some rides are better, and others are different but just as excellent as their American cousins
Disney Dreams was one of the best nighttime shows I've ever seen
We all loved the Magic Everywhere Parade
Everything is within walking distance of everything else
The castle is awesome, especially with the walk-through and dragon

That being said, there are some things about DLP that we thought were big downgrades from WDW. Some were minor, like the theming at the resorts isn't as detailed as many of the WDW resorts (ie. comparing WL to SL, or BC to NBH) The biggest negative difference is that DLP seems VERY, VERY understaffed. I believe this is where the much of the perceived "lack of magic" stems from.

Garbage cans were overflowing, and we rarely saw a CM out cleaning up or emptying them.

When you have a problem, such as the FP machines not working, or to ask for directions, it is difficult to find a CM to help you. When you do, you are likely interrupting them from doing something else. Rarely is there someone staffed who's job it is just to help you.

There are no CM's giving high-fives with Mickey hands, handing out stickers, or just hanging around to wish you a magical day.

Before parades and shows (and at other times like when the parks open) there are no CM's doing crowd control, so the crowds tend to get out-of-control.

Due to lack of CMs, lack of enforcement, or both, guests seem to ignore any rules that are in place in the park, including smoking only in designated areas, staying out of gated areas, lawns, flowerbeds, and fountains.

Even though the theming is incredible, the upkeep in the parks is woefully lacking. Many handrails are stripped down to the metal, guests have carved their names into many walls and other surfaces, and ride breakdowns are very common.

We did meet a higher percentage of rude CMs than at WDW (mostly revolving around pin trading), but we also met a few exceptional CMs as we do on each trip to WDW.

In a nutshell, we enjoyed our time at DLP and as Disney Park fans we're glad we went, but I don't see a return trip anytime in the near future.

Hope that helped. I tried to be as objective as possible.

You can see our trip report here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2980770

WDW: Jul '91, May '93, Dec '99, Aug '07, Aug '08, Aug '09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Aug '10, Mar '11, Aug '11, Dec '11, Aug '13, Nov/Dec '13
Disneyland Paris: Aug '12
DCL: Jul '12 Magic NYC Weekend Getaway, Dec '13 Dream 3-night Bahamas
Upcoming Trips: WDW Jul '14, DCL Alaska - Wonder Aug '15
Metsoskil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:59 AM   #20
Disneydreamsdancer
Mouseketeer

You ask a difficult question as everyones opinion is different, you might feel after visiting a Disney park, completely different to how I or other disers may feel.

I grew up going to DLP, starting in 1992, my very last visit was 2007. At that point I had never been to any other disney parks.

I was exceptionally sad to see the park quite worn in 2007, flaking paint in fantasyland, full trashcans, and unfortunately we went during a strike of some sort so an awful lot of food places were shut. It was sad to see as I remembered the early days when the park was immaculate. We also encountered no magic from castmembers, and one in particular who refused to sell merchandise to my mom unless she asked in French! His rudeness was exceptional, I speak basic conversational French but my mom does not, and I know it is France but he spoke fluent English and he literally made her repeat him in French before he would ring up the bill. Not impressed. I also had 40 euros stolen from my pocket on our last day. I shouldn't have left it in my pocket, I lived in central London, I know about pickpockets but I made the mistake of thinking Disney was immune and I learned the hard way. However it didn't destroy the magic for me because I knew no different.

In 2008 I went to Disneyland California and have been 4 times since. I found myself comparing everything to DLP, they both have their strengths and weaknesses.
DLP is very well planned out, the pathways rarely get blocked by people and even in the summer it doesnt feel overcrowded, also the theming and landscape of the lands is beautiful. However I now truly love DLR and feel more at home there, not more magical, just more at home. DLR is spotless and the castmembers are trained differently, they truly want to make every guest encounter special. You get the feeling theyre not just working a salary job.

However as I said, everyone has a different opinion and I believe there is a magical Disney park out there for everyone, you just need to get out there and find the one that feels magical and 'home' for you!

Happy travels

DLRP Aug '94 - Hotel Sante Fe
DLRP Mar '95 - Hotel Sante Fe . DLRP Jan '01 - Hotel Cheyenne . DLRP Jan '07 - Hotel Sante Fe . DLR Cal Jan '08 - Hilton Anaheim . DLR Cal Dec '08 - Marriott Anaheim . DLR Cal Jan '12 - Fairfield Inn . DLR Cal May '12 - Carousel Inn
Disneydreamsdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:04 AM   #21
TakeMeToFlorida
Earning My Ears

Smile How do the cast members at Paris compare to the CMs at Orlando and California?

The American parks have such a reputation for always being happy, smiley, friendly and helpful.
I've read nothing but bad things about Paris having rude, miserable and unhelpful staff.
I've never been to any disney park but it has always been a dream. I have just never fallen into the money for it.
I feel like having the famous hospitable service you get at the American parks is something I want to experience and it's something that makes Disneyland and MK what they are. It's part of that Disney magic.
Unfortunately, if I went (I NEED TO GO TO A DISNEY PARK SOON I'VE BEEN DYING FOR IT FOR TOO LONG) I'd probably only be able to go to Disneyland Paris and I don't want to be let down.
Please be nice, this is my first time posting.

Also to people who have been to both, how does it compare to it's American counterparts? I'm talking mainly about the "Disneyland" style parks.
Does it fall short? I've read it lacks a lot in quality and magic but of course I don't know for sure.
TakeMeToFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:13 AM   #22
DLPdaft
Cannot stop singing "Just like we dreeeeamed it"
Has a calming influence

DISboards Moderator

Hi,

From what you've said in your post, my honest opinion would be - don't bother going to Disneyland Paris. It honestly sounds like you expect to be disappointed, and if you go with that attitude, you will be.

As to reading "nothing but bad things about Paris having rude, miserable and unhelpful staff" - I guess you haven't been reading the highs and lows posted on this board then ?
Feb 07 Santa Fe, Oct 07 Santa Fe, Nov 07 Cheyenne, June 08 Explorers, Oct 08 surprise upgrade to the Newport Bay Club! May 09 Magic Circus, Dec 09 Santa Fe VIP, Oct 10 Santa Fe "Cars stylee", March 11 St Patricks Day Santa Fe, Nov 11 Dream Castle bonfire and Christmas, June 12 Dream Castle 20th Dreams, Feb 13 Santa Fe & Dreams, April 14 Santa Fe Spring Festival Fun
DLPdaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:26 AM   #23
TakeMeToFlorida
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPdaft View Post
Hi,

From what you've said in your post, my honest opinion would be - don't bother going to Disneyland Paris. It honestly sounds like you expect to be disappointed, and if you go with that attitude, you will be.

As to reading "nothing but bad things about Paris having rude, miserable and unhelpful staff" - I guess you haven't been reading the highs and lows posted on this board then ?
How do you feel though, do you feel I'm right about the CM's and things?
Thanks for answering by the way
No I haven't read this board haha sorry, I've been reading lots of things and I also heard it from a lot of people that have been to the American parks.
I'd love to go as it looks BEAUTIFUL and quaint, but I just wonder if it offers the same magical experience really like the others do?
It's more affordable for me so that's why I'm really looking into it and I just don't want to be let down on my first visit.
I wish I was going with no expectations because then I'm sure I'd be wowed but I've heard from so many friends and family who have been to both and the make out it doesn't compare in magic or even cleanliness.
I find the whole clean image and magic and friendly people everywhere thing really fascinating and I think that'd one of the main reasons I'm so obsessed with going to a Disneyland.
Sorry for my rant haha
Old 09-27-2012, 06:32 AM   #24
DLPdaft
Cannot stop singing "Just like we dreeeeamed it"
Has a calming influence

DISboards Moderator

My personal opinion's not going to help you I dont think.
DLP is mine and my daughter's happy place, I've been taking her there since she was 5 years old, and for that reason alone, it has a special place in my heart and it always will.

It can and does have cleanliness issues, but I have not yet met a rude member of staff. Its a European park, its not American. Its also not making a profit following its opening in 1992, so it has financial issues too.

I haven't been to WDW for around 20 years, so I can't compare the two.
Feb 07 Santa Fe, Oct 07 Santa Fe, Nov 07 Cheyenne, June 08 Explorers, Oct 08 surprise upgrade to the Newport Bay Club! May 09 Magic Circus, Dec 09 Santa Fe VIP, Oct 10 Santa Fe "Cars stylee", March 11 St Patricks Day Santa Fe, Nov 11 Dream Castle bonfire and Christmas, June 12 Dream Castle 20th Dreams, Feb 13 Santa Fe & Dreams, April 14 Santa Fe Spring Festival Fun
DLPdaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:40 AM   #25
TakeMeToFlorida
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPdaft View Post
My personal opinion's not going to help you I dont think.
DLP is mine and my daughter's happy place, I've been taking her there since she was 5 years old, and for that reason alone, it has a special place in my heart and it always will.

It can and does have cleanliness issues, but I have not yet met a rude member of staff. Its a European park, its not American. Its also not making a profit following its opening in 1992, so it has financial issues too.

I haven't been to WDW for around 20 years, so I can't compare the two.
Aw that's lovely I'm glad you love it!
I didn't realise about it's financial issues.
Thanks you replying once again
Old 09-27-2012, 07:08 AM   #26
dopeys advisor
Earning My Ears

We have been to DLP for the last two years and we are off again November 12 for our Disney fix.
The CMS have been great and make the holiday special.
I have never found a CM to be rude and unhelpful.
Forget about any misconceptions go and see for your self once walking down Main street you will be hooked.
dopeys advisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:11 AM   #27
rachbelle
Mouseketeer

I found it absolutely magical when we went in august!! All the CMs I spoke to were really happy and helpful, one particular CM who was with Rapunzel was fab and extra helpful with deciding wether to queue to see her or not! The only grumpy people I saw were visitors!! :D
rachbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:30 AM   #28
ShrumpUK
Earning My Ears

We have just got back. The only grumpy staff we encountered were the security staff as you have your bags checked. On 4 of the 5 days they were surly and didn't respond to a cheery greeting at all.
Everywhere else the staff were lovely, taking the time to admire our 2 little "princesses" and shouting out to everyone that it was "Amber's Birthday" (they spotted her badges) and getting everyone to sing to her in the queue..lol.
One exception, the man in the photo shop, who tried to get rid of us as quickly as possible by outright lying to us , but who was shouted down by the "boss" so it ended well in the end.
I LOVED Florida Disney, but Paris is so beautiful that it stands up very well IMO!!
I would go back for a 3rd visit in a heartbeat, but, alas, it won't be for a while yet.
I will continue to get my fix on here..lol.
ShrumpUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:03 AM   #29
DLPDreams
I am like a child in a sweet shop, all hyper on sugar

This is a difficult one to answer as, as DLPDaft says, you have preconceptions before you even get there .

Paris does have it's issues - I'm not going to lie - some of it is mainly down to funds, some down to the European way of doing Disney imo.

BUT, I have never been to an American (or any other - there are more) Disney Park so I can't really compare. I want to go to WDW but my children are too little yet so we plan in 3 years to go.

There are lots of people who have been to both on here more recently so you will get more of a rounded response hopefully. Many people see the US as the big 'holiday' and Paris as the Disney fix which is a short break and so more affordable to get there (not when you are there!).

Lots of people say the quality of the park itself is stunning compared to the US - the detail is second to none, that is for sure. Main Street etc does really blow you away .

It sounds like you think you will be let down without even trying and sometimes going with that attitude means you will be. IMO if it's the only chance you have to go to a Disney park why not give it a try .

You have nothing to lose or compare it to - make the most of it!

FWIW I've had a few trips to DLRP now - our last trip in June wasn't so great for a few reasons (all the others have been amazing). BUT, it can't have been that bad as we are getting excited about going again for Christmas season in just over 2 months time. I think trips are what you make them.... The magic is there, sometimes it's just there more than other times but that is like anything in life.

DLPDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #30
Jonjo
Mouseketeer

DLP is a lovely park much nicer than the MK IMO, and I've meet more grumpy CMs at WDW that at DLP. The CM's at DLP are great and its fantastic how they effortlessly switch from speaking French to English, Spanish, Italian and German.

I find if you interact with the CMs and say the odd 'Bonjour, au revoir, merci beaucoup' you get a nice smiley reply back.
Jonjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anaheim, cast member, cast members, florida, magic

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: