Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 01:09 AM   #1
mikneyspackson
Mouseketeer

How does Disneyland Paris measure up to the other their American cousin parks?

Does it feel just as magical as the Disneyland in California and Magic Kingdom in Florida or is it a bit of a let down?
I've always read the language barrier is frustrating and that the CMs are nowhere near as "happy" or helpful which has a great impact on the experience. The place is also supposed to be filthy and not as well kept.

I went when I was 7 but I don't remember at all!
mikneyspackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:12 AM   #2
Carrie_Cat
I'm a Rive Gauche person

I guess that this is something you read in the same place as your MK WDW question ?

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2986111

Vive la différence
Carrie_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
mikneyspackson
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie_Cat View Post
I guess that this is something you read in the same place as your MK WDW question ?

Haha some of it yes but I've read it before online as well!
I came here to ask because different people might stick to only the DLP part of the site and I wanted to hear their views on it too
Old 09-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
Jonjo
Mouseketeer

I don't think you can compaire Disney theme parks, they are all very different. Trying to compaire Walt Disney World in Florida to Disneyland Pairs is very difficult. The only real way to do it is to visit the parks and see for your self.

I think all Disney parks are magical in their own way, yes even Hong Kong Disneyland and Disney California Adventure are fun in their own ways.

If your considering a trip to WDW, I would strongy sugest a visit DLP first before heading across the pond. Many people consider DLP the most beautiful of all the Disneyland Parks which I tend to agree with. Walking down Main Street at Christmas time with real snow under your feet is just a fantastic experiance.

The errors made at WDWs MK are being corrected and they have based alot of what was learned at DLP in the Fantasyland extention and re-development.

If you want a true Disney Adventure, headover to the Tokyo Disney Resort. Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea are just mind blowing. Both far superior to their American cousins in my opinion.

Hong Kong Disneyland is a great day trip too. I'm just waiting to book a trip to the Shanghai Disney Resort.

I've had some great interaction with the CMs at DLP with pin trading with them, down to a lighsaber battle at Star Traders and animals impersonations at The Blue Lagoon resturant.

My ever lasting merrory of WDW will always be the American CM who used inappropriate comments to a group of disabled Mexican guests somthing I have never seen or heard at DLP. I've also never had my hotel room broken into in DLP, which has happend to me in WDW nor my car vandalised in the car park which has happend to me in California.

If your in the UK a trip to DLP is a very easy thing to do, just jump on the Eurostar and see it for yourself.

Last edited by Jonjo; 09-04-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Jonjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
mikneyspackson
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonjo View Post
I don't think you can compaire Disney theme parks, they are all very different. Trying to compaire Walt Disney World in Florida to Disneyland Pairs is very difficult. The only real way to do it is to visit the parks and see for your self.

I think all Disney parks are magical in their own way, yes even Hong Kong Disneyland and Disney California Adventure are fun in their own ways.

If your considering a trip to WDW, I would strongy sugest a visit DLP first before heading across the pond. Many people consider DLP the most beautiful of all the Disneyland Parks which I tend to agree with. Walking down Main Street at Christmas time with real snow under your feet is just a fantastic experiance.

The errors made at WDWs MK are being corrected and they have based alot of what was learned at DLP in the Fantasyland extention and re-development.

If you want a true Disney Adventure, headover to the Tokyo Disney Resort. Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea are just mind blowing. Both far superior to their American cousins in my opinion.

Hong Kong Disneyland is a great day trip too. I'm just waiting to book a trip to the Shanghai Disney Resort.

I've had some great interaction with the CMs at DLP with pin trading with them, down to a lighsaber battle at Star Traders and animals impersonations at The Blue Lagoon resturant.

My ever lasting merrory of WDW will always be the American CM who used inappropriate comments to a group of disabled Mexican guests somthing I have never seen or heard at DLP. I've also never had my hotel room broken into in DLP, which has happend to me in WDW nor my car vandalised in the car park which has happend to me in California.

If your in the UK a trip to DLP is a very easy thing to do, just jump on the Eurostar and see it for yourself.
Thanks for replying!!!
I can't believe that happened at WDW and California, that is crazy and sososo bad! Sorry to hear that!
I've just heard so many stories how grumpy the DLP CMs are but that obviously can't be true
What did the WDW CMs say to the mexican guests if you don't mind saying? No worries if not. How awful is that though.
I'd love to go to Tokyo but I can imagine that being far more expensive. I've been dreaming of going to a Disney Park (preferably one of the American ones just because they feel more "authentic" to me and I heard bad stuff about DLP) since forever, seriously. All my life but never have been able to afford it.
Thanks again
Old 09-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
tinks_1989
need a like button

It's a subject that will alway occur on this website and you will never get a simple answer.

Every one has their favourite and like others have said you can't compare them they are so different.
tinks_1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
torsie24
Or I could call it the postalabration
Now I know to wear flip flops!
Got engaged on a trip to Disneyland Paris

I've been to DLRP, WDW and DLR.

Sadly only spent a day in DLR so we will be back for a longer trip in the next few years.

To me (and before I get flamed this is just my opinion) DLRP is nowhere near as magical as the American parks. WDW being my main reference but I had a wonderful day in DLR.

DLRPs MK is more beautiful than WDW and DLRs and it has the best Adventureland, and being newer some of the rides are noticeably better (POTC and Space Mountain in particular) also the castle is the prettiest and the dragon is great.

But the way things look isn't enough to make up for what's lacking for me.

In WDW I feel special and welcome and the restaurants and hotels are fabulous. All 4 parks are amazing alone. Of course with time WDS will grow and I thinks Toy Story Playland has great potential, and a Ratatoille area will be amazing.

But the place needs some serious Disney-fication. I can't help but think that Walt would be overwhelmed by how amazing DLR and WDW have become. Yet DLRP definitely has a way to go. It's just not got that same 'Magic'

But - I'm in no doubt lots of that (rude CMs aside) is due to budget, and fingers crossed the WDC buyout can really really lift it up.

It has such wonderful potential, and I'm hoping that when we return once Rataoille is open as lot of the issues we had last trip will have been rectified and it'll be on its way to being a unique, yet just as magical park as its bigger siblings.

WDW: 1994-I Drive / 2009-AKL / 2011-Disney Wedding -AKL-GF RPC-BW-BLT
DLRP 1997-HNY / 2000-SL / 2008-SL / 2009-DLH / 2012-HNY
DLR: 2005-Day Trip
torsie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
nicola
Tinkerbell
Bring it on baby!!!

i have been to both extensively as used to live in canada and we used to drive down to WDW and for me DLP wins HANDS DOWN!! for me DLP is much more magical and beautiful with a much more european authentic fairy tale flair!

2 trips to WDW in early 90's
May, 2003 DLP NPBC
June, 2004 DLP HNY
May, 2005 DLP HNY

Nov, 2005 DLP DLH (Yea!!!)

nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:53 AM   #9
Jonjo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikneyspackson View Post
Thanks for replying!!!
I can't believe that happened at WDW and California, that is crazy and sososo bad! Sorry to hear that!
I've just heard so many stories how grumpy the DLP CMs are but that obviously can't be true
What did the WDW CMs say to the mexican guests if you don't mind saying? No worries if not. How awful is that though.
I'd love to go to Tokyo but I can imagine that being far more expensive. I've been dreaming of going to a Disney Park (preferably one of the American ones just because they feel more "authentic" to me and I heard bad stuff about DLP) since forever, seriously. All my life but never have been able to afford it.
Thanks again
Crime happens all over the place and Disney Resorts are not immune to it. Thats why WDW has its own undercover police force.

I will not repeat what I heard on this forum as we are all a very friendly bunch of people here and I don't wish to offend anyone. Needless to say I did report the incident and I had a face to face meeting with a Manager a few days later when I was informed that that CM had been terminated from the Walt Disney College Program and no longer worked for WDW.

Another thing to remember is that WDW and DLP were designed for different markets. WDW was designed as a vacation resort, most American's only get nine days of paid holiday per year and WDW is big enough to spend all those nine days there.

DLP was deigned with European short breakers in mind. In the UK and Europe we get about 28 days holiday a year so DLP was designed with that in mind and that is the market they aim for. Most visitors spend 3 nights, four days at DLP.

My next trip to DLP is for six nights, seven days - I don't want to be rushed and I realy enjoy the parks. When I tell people how long I'm going for they just shake their head and can't understand it. (But I guess on here people will).

Yes I have meet a grump CM and DLP, then again I'm meet grumpy staff at Tesco, Barclays Bank and John Lewis. Everyone can have an off day.

WDW is fine for a two week break - take a holiday and go and explore it again. DLP is closer and is great for a short break and there is a 40% off offer on at the moment so it's cheaper to go.

Last edited by Jonjo; 09-05-2012 at 05:48 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:22 AM   #10
tinkertaylor05
DIS Veteran

I can't compare as not been to the US parks yet what I will say is that my experience of dlp is with a child which may be totally different to that of an adult traveller. We have always been greeted with enthusiasm and smiles entering the parks, restaurants, shops, hotels and rides. We just returned from our 4th visit and I'm sending an email now to dlp thanking a number of outstanding cm's who took the time to remember us, call out to us in ride lines, stop us in the shops for a chat.

I spent an hour chatting to a real fanatic yesterday in the parks who travels as a solo adult and we both concluded you get back what you put in alot of the time. We always make an effort to smile and engage the cm's which they do for us in return

WDW SSR/DCL EBTA May 2014, DCL Magic Med June 2013, Hotel New York September 2012, Disneyland Hotel December 2011, Hotel New York February 2011, Hotel New York June 2010
tinkertaylor05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:55 AM   #11
ShrumpUK
Earning My Ears

I went to WDW Florida with my hubby and youngest daughter (then 11) in 2004. Her, I , my eldest daughter and HER daughter (4 at the time) went to DLRP in 2008. In 2 weeks I am going to DLRP with eldest again and BOTH her girls, now 8 and 4.
WDW blew me away! I sobbed when I saw that castle for the first time. All my childhood memories came flooding back and I was so sad my Mum couldn't be there to share it all with me.She loved Disney too.
DLRP is smaller, but IMO just as good, maybe even better. It's so beautifully landscaped and seeing it through the eyes of a small child is magical. I can't wait to see my youngest granddaughter's face when she spots that Mouse for the first time and Dreams sounds amazing.
I think it's what you make it.
Yes, WDW is bigger, more parks, Animal Kingdom, etc etc, but the magic is most definitely in France and I can't wait to sob like a baby again as soon as I see that castle!
ShrumpUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #12
Michael623
WDW 37 trips, DL 10 trips, DLP 2 trips, Currently DL AP holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikneyspackson View Post
Does it feel just as magical as the Disneyland in California and Magic Kingdom in Florida or is it a bit of a let down?
I've always read the language barrier is frustrating and that the CMs are nowhere near as "happy" or helpful which has a great impact on the experience. The place is also supposed to be filthy and not as well kept.

I went when I was 7 but I don't remember at all!
As you can see by my signature I've been to DLP twice and the US parks many times over. I can say yes to every point you bring up. In addition I've been reading that the pickpocketing has gotten out of control at DLP to make matters worse.

I typically explain it like this: If you have visiting all of the Disney Parks on your bucket list then the reviews don't matter. If you are visiting Paris and want to take a day or two out to visit DLP fine. I would not fly to Paris just to go to DLP.

Edited to mention that you WILL NOT get unbiased reviews on this board which I would expect on a fansite.

Last edited by Michael623; 09-05-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Michael623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #13
Carrie_Cat
I'm a Rive Gauche person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael623 View Post
As you can see by my signature I've been to DLP twice and the US parks many times over. I can say yes to every point you bring up. In addition I've been reading that the pickpocketing has gotten out of control at DLP to make matters worse.

I typically explain it like this: If you have visiting all of the Disney Parks on your bucket list then the reviews don't matter. If you are visiting Paris and want to take a day or two out to visit DLP fine. I would not fly to Paris just to go to DLP.
Pickpocketing has not got out of control at DLP

There are thieves everywhere and large crowds draw them in. Pickpockets are opportunists and theme parks like metros, train stations, shopping centers etc etc provide them with a large picking field

I go several times a month, even several times a week and I see the security reacting when they need too.

Nowhere is immune and never has been

Vive la différence
Carrie_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #14
DLPaddict
Disney Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael623 View Post
In addition I've been reading that the pickpocketing has gotten out of control at DLP to make matters worse.
Never seen any of this during my visits. I think security do a great job in keeping the park safe.

You get pickpockets everywhere.
DLPaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #15
Jonjo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPaddict View Post
You get pickpockets everywhere.
Yep could not agree more. DW was pick pocketed while we were on holiday in Romania a few years ago. Not an experiance I would like to go through again.

Tags
anaheim, cast member, cast members, florida, magic

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: