Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California) > Disneyland Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
BryANDJessMom
Mouseketeer

Half Off Theme park tickets,,,

I just saw a thread/offer in facebook where some of my friends are getting these park tickets for half off. I am wondering if this is the type of scam that DL is trying to avoid. The way they advertise is that you are "renting" the tickets for one day and then you return them to their offices. I am thinking I should warn my friends about this..since it sounds like an infraction of Disney policy. (I have annual passes, so no, I am not even thinking of buying these, just worried about the embarrassment for my friends.)

Anyone else heard of this?
Old 09-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

Definitely sounds like a common scam. They might not get caught, but Disney is trying to crack down on these. I would warn your friends.
Eeee-va is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2012, 11:52 PM   #3
Disneyland 1951
Mouseketeer

Begining this weekend (Sept 1st) the lines at the gates are slower. Yesterday in two different lines they were making everyone put a name on every ticket with a felt sharpie.

Before you would see this once in a while, but it appeared they were making sure that all tickets had a name on them???

Here is a guest filling out names on four 3-day tickets.
The next group also had to put names on each ticket.

Disneyland 1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:57 PM   #4
BryANDJessMom
Mouseketeer

Thanks! That's what I suspected...I will email them and let them know...

As a side note...It really irritates me that companies are doing this...this one looks kinda big too...I am sure it is firms like this that helped Disney make the decision to discontinue the six day pass, it doesn't seem fair! I wonder when they will implement the fingerprint scanner like DW.

Thanks so much!!!!
Old 09-03-2012, 01:35 AM   #5
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran

Yesterday, I witnessed a family at the turnstiles and the CM was asking them what days they had previously used the tickets. They said they hadn't, and therein started the rental conversation and the tickets were confiscated.
Malcon10t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:48 AM   #6
MyYearWithTheMouse
Disneyland In A Year!

There are a number of these "businesses" around the park. It's very much against the terms of service on the pass. DLR has been cracking down on these lately. They are much more consistent about requiring names on passes and the random ID checks seem to be happening more often. I also have heard them quiz people on when they first used the ticket (which they cannot answer). I also have to wonder, say you buy one of these tickets without a name and the CM at the gate requires you to put your name on it? Will the ticket re-seller then charge you for the full ticket since they cannot re-use it?

Shelby, head My Year With The Mouseketeer
MyYearWithTheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:56 AM   #7
larina
DIS Veteran

I'm glad they are cracking down on this, even if it makes entering the parks a little slower. Honestly, I wish they'd require ID from all adults and teens upon 1st entrance of the day.
larina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:53 AM   #8
LizEN
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larina View Post
I'm glad they are cracking down on this, even if it makes entering the parks a little slower. Honestly, I wish they'd require ID from all adults and teens upon 1st entrance of the day.
I wish they did too. Had to do that at Universal Orlando our first day and it didn't slow us down a bit.

I had no idea that DLR didn't use the finger scanners.

Me DH DS16 : DD16 Toby
MK-1978-Golf Club; Disneyland-1981; Disneyland-1986; Disneyland-1991; MK-2005; WDW-2007-Port Orleans Riverside; Disneyland/DCA-2009; WDW-2010-Beach Club; WDW-2012; WWOHP-2012
LizEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
Mary09
Mouseketeer

No wonder they quit selling the really long park hopper tickets. They probably had research about what percentage wound up being sold/'rented' illegally.

For the cost of these long park tickets, you'd think they could slap a photo on a card like the cruise ships do. Or do the thumb print thing.
Mary09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
raiderfan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by larina
They have started asking for ID when entering. I was there in July and had 5 day park hopper tickets. When I picked them up at the gate ticket booth I had to write our names on the back of the passes. On our third day in the park they asked for ID when we entered.
This also happened on the 5th day as well. I think I is the right thing to do and do not have an issue with it as I always have legitimate tickets.
raiderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #11
mouseymommy
I love the smell of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyYearWithTheMouse View Post
There are a number of these "businesses" around the park. It's very much against the terms of service on the pass. DLR has been cracking down on these lately. They are much more consistent about requiring names on passes and the random ID checks seem to be happening more often. I also have heard them quiz people on when they first used the ticket (which they cannot answer). I also have to wonder, say you buy one of these tickets without a name and the CM at the gate requires you to put your name on it? Will the ticket re-seller then charge you for the full ticket since they cannot re-use it?
I had the same questions. That's why it's always better to just do things the right way. Less stress! BTW, I started reading your blog and I love it!
mouseymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #12
DisneytheKid
A bad attempt at Billy the Kid

Good point. I hadn't even though of it that way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary09 View Post
No wonder they quit selling the really long park hopper tickets. They probably had research about what percentage wound up being sold/'rented' illegally.

For the cost of these long park tickets, you'd think they could slap a photo on a card like the cruise ships do. Or do the thumb print thing.
Countless times during the 80's and 90's
DisneytheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #13
bakerudall
Real Boy

LOL. My coworker just showed me this ad on her facebook feed on her phone. I guess it's spreading like wildfire today. And yes, unfortunately I am working on Labor Day--gotta make that 2.5 X pay for my Disney money (so I can have real tickets)!
bakerudall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #14
MyYearWithTheMouse
Disneyland In A Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouseymommy View Post
I had the same questions. That's why it's always better to just do things the right way. Less stress! BTW, I started reading your blog and I love it!
Oh, thank you!!

Shelby, head My Year With The Mouseketeer
MyYearWithTheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #15
tinkcollector
DIS Veteran

You can't get something for nothing unless someone somewhere is getting nothing for something. author unknown

I have had the extreme pleasure of dining at Club 33 x 8
Attended A Private Tour of Walt's Apt. 08/07/12
Candlelight Ceremony Second Row Center 2012
Walt Disney Studio Tour X 2 (2011 & 2012)
"Be Our Guest" Dinner, 2014 sat with Floyd Norman
tinkcollector is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: