Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #1411
polyfor4
Mouseketeer

I have a few CL questions! How strict is CL with guests coming over? We have a friend staying at a different resort who always comes to see us at the Poly. And is it possible to eat only one counter service and snack in the parks and rely on CL snacks for the rest? And last question (I promise ) does the IPO help with getting tough to get reservations? In other words, is there a chance the IPO reservation could get a reservation I can't get over the phone?

May 2014 BWI/ Poly CL
May 2013 AoA/ Poly CL Nov 2013 Pop
Sept 2012 AoA May 2012 Pop/ Poly Feb 2012 POR
May 2011 Pop/ Poly April 2011 CSR
Dec 2010 POR May 2010 POR
Dec 2009 CBR May 2009 Poly March 2009 POR

Old 01-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #1412
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfor4 View Post
I have a few CL questions! How strict is CL with guests coming over? We have a friend staying at a different resort who always comes to see us at the Poly. And is it possible to eat only one counter service and snack in the parks and rely on CL snacks for the rest? And last question (I promise ) does the IPO help with getting tough to get reservations? In other words, is there a chance the IPO reservation could get a reservation I can't get over the phone?
The Hawaii building is secured & only a CL key card will let you in (although I think all of the longhouses are like this now with the RFID cards?) Someone in your party would have to let your guests in. I don't think there is an issue with someone visiting you in your room, however the lounge & the food/beverage offerings there are meant strictly for paying CL guests. There is no one enforcing this, it's on the honour system.

We try to eat our big meal of the day at lunch (we aren't big eaters) and then breakfast and dinner time "snacks" in the lounge. We manage pretty well with this. We do have a few TS meals during our week, but that's more because of preference than need. I think we could do it just on CS. BTW, there are snacks out in the afternoon when the actual food service isn't on - gold fish crackers, homemade cookies, fruit (apples, bananas), soda, etc. - so you don't have to do all of your snacking in the park. Of course we always have to have our Mickey bars & a dole whip or two

We have used the IPO for our ADR's for our last two trips and have always gotten the reservations we've wanted, within 15 min. of our requested time, including CRT & 'Ohana. Mind you we book at 180 days. I don't know how much pull they have if you are trying to book something last minute, although I think they would have a better chance of success than someone just calling up on their own.

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #1413
polyfor4
Mouseketeer

Thank you maiapapaya- that completely answered all of my questions! We will have a few TS throughout the week but will be without the dining pan. If all goes according to plan- a GV CL and no dining is cheaper or equal to GV with dining. We have always wanted to stay CL and since we are going in May CL also ensures we will have a remodeled room- it's a win win.

May 2014 BWI/ Poly CL
May 2013 AoA/ Poly CL Nov 2013 Pop
Sept 2012 AoA May 2012 Pop/ Poly Feb 2012 POR
May 2011 Pop/ Poly April 2011 CSR
Dec 2010 POR May 2010 POR
Dec 2009 CBR May 2009 Poly March 2009 POR

Last edited by polyfor4; 01-13-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #1414
aboveH20
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom

Hello! Just a few thoughts regarding your questions:

1) What to do between 5:30pm and 9pm. So many choices and depends on so many factors. Will you have energy at that point, or will you want to relax? Will you have park admission? Have you explored the monorail resorts yet? But first, dinner. I'd probably grab appetizers and a drink for my dinner at Tambu Lounge. After dinner, if you have energy and park admission, I'd do some shopping on Main Street in MK. (I rarely have the opportunity to do that and if I were on my own and that close to MK, that sounds nice.) If you have energy but no park admission or are interested in touring the monorail resorts, I'd hop on the monorail and explore GF and CR. (When staying at Poly, we like to hop over to GF, even though we've walked through many times before.) But without energy, I'd probably sit out by the pool or on the beach with a book until it gets too dark to read, do some final shopping at the Poly and then watch the parade.

2) Which resort? If not on the monorail, I'd say cab. Just go to the front where your son caught ME and the CM at the desk there should be able get a cab for you. When we do this, they rarely have to call - there are often cabs stopping by looking for passengers. And if they do need to call, it's usually just a few minutes.

Have a great time!!!
Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of checking out Tambu Lounge. I hadn't thought about checking out another resorts or going to MK! I was thinking of staying at the Poly but you've given me something to think about.

Have you ever seen the parade? Any suggestions of where to be?

Disneyland Disney World Disneyland Paris Disney Cruise Aulani Next?
Old 01-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #1415
hulagirl87
DIS Veteran

I can't believe that we leave in 11 days! My friend is there right now and ran the full marathon this morning and has been sending me pictures. I'm so anxious to go!

My question is this, to anyone that might know... Does Samoa Snacks sell a 1/2 gallon of milk? DD is definitely a milk drinker and I would love to be able to purchase a 1/2 gallon and keep it in our room fridge. Thanks!

me DH DD and DS
Old 01-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #1416
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You will have to let them in - mention to the concierge that your friends are visiting and they will likely offer to allow them use of the lounge while they are there. That is exactly what hooked us - we visited a friend in the lounge one evening/were invited to stay for dessert and ended up staying many times in CL Lagoon View at Hawaii. I know of many repeaters who ended up as visitors of guests.

Liz
Old 01-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #1417
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Thank you maiapapaya- that completely answered all of my questions! We will have a few TS throughout the week but will be without the dining pan. If all goes according to plan- a GV CL and no dining is cheaper or equal to GV with dining. We have always wanted to stay CL and since we are going in May CL also ensures we will have a remodeled oom- it's a win win.
You're welcome! The last two years we have stayed CL with no DP. If you calculate in costs for extras for the 5 of us (eg. alcohol - our oldest is 21, so for 3 adults, snacks & soda, etc) it works out to about the same or actually less for us to do CL with one daily out of pocket meal, including a few TS, than to do the dining plan and stay non CL.

We can't wait to see the new rooms & lounge too! You'll have to post pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveH20 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of checking out Tambu Lounge. I hadn't thought about checking out another resorts or going to MK! I was thinking of staying at the Poly but you've given me something to think about.

We watched the parade last fall from a porch over in the Liberty Square area (I think it may have been part of the Liberty Tree Tavern building?) and the view was nice - it was a bit elevated, and away from the crowds!

1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
Old 01-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #1418
aboveH20
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
We watched the parade last fall from a porch over in the Liberty Square area (I think it may have been part of the Liberty Tree Tavern building?) and the view was nice - it was a bit elevated, and away from the crowds!
Thanks for the reply. I was actually referring to the Electrical Parade. I'm hoping to see it for the first time since I'll be at the Poly.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #1419
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I was actually referring to the Electrical Parade. I'm hoping to see it for the first time since I'll be at the Poly.
haha, sorry! I thought you meant MSEP since the pp had mentioned hitting the MK, although I wondered how you were going to manage that and see the EWP!
Any where along the main Poly beach is great. In February there shouldn't be a ton of competition for a chair. You could even get a drink from the Bare Foot Bar and take it down to the beach with you (or sit at one of the tables on the patio by the bar)

Old 01-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #1420
aboveH20
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
Any where along the main Poly beach is great. In February there shouldn't be a ton of competition for a chair. You could even get a drink from the Bare Foot Bar and take it down to the beach with you (or sit at one of the tables on the patio by the bar)

That sounds real good right about now!

not

(I live in New York -- weather hasn't been horrible, but not drink on the beach either)

Old 01-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #1421
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
That sounds real good right about now!

not

(I live in New York -- weather hasn't been horrible, but not drink on the beach either)
We're in Ontario, so I know of what you speak! We live right on the beach and as I look out my window I'm seeing chunks of ice on the water (despite our recent thaw) Would much rather the palm trees and lagoon with the castle off in the distance ...

Old 01-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #1422
cricketgirl
I've waited my whole life for this!

Come on Jan 22 2013 I'm waiting

We leave on Jan 22, 2013 and I am so excited I can hardly sleep. We stayed at the Poly last Jan and it was great. We stay CL but since it wasn't available we are staying Garden View. My son (26 years old) has never been to Disney and frankly had no interest until this year. So I canceled my solo trip and made it a mom and son trip. I have been with Hubby 3 times, took my niece and nephew last year and now my son. Next year I am gonna do a solo. But I am so excited about this trip. Hoping my son will love the Poly as much as we did. We requested Tokelau building. Have all my ADR made that we had planned on making. even got a CRT reservation last week. Yep, he wanted his picture taken with the princesses. I guess all I have left to do is order my water and his Dr Peppers for the week and we are ready to go. Gonna try a Dole Whip this time and he's wanting to try a lupa lupa? I don't know something like that. His boss told him to check it out.
Hoping for a little pixie dust to make his vacation extra special.

Any last minute tips, tricks, advice or anything?

Thanks,
Lori
Old 01-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #1423
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Oh yes! The EWP is really one of my favorite Disney memories. I remember running out to the Poly beach with my brother as a child/teen, watching it from River Country with friends on a high school trip, and sitting on the beach with my three boys to see it pass by. I'm not sure if it's really good or maybe my adoration is based entirely on nostalgia! For a viewing spot, I really like the beach right in front of the volcano pool (although my favorite spot is our balcony in the Samoa building, but that doesn't apply since you'll be out of your room by then!)

Hope you enjoy and please report back on your trip and your Poly stay!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/Poly)
April 2015: WL and AOA!
Old 01-14-2013, 12:24 AM   #1424
gaildmoody
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveliz View Post
You will have to let them in - mention to the concierge that your friends are visiting and they will likely offer to allow them use of the lounge while they are there. That is exactly what hooked us - we visited a friend in the lounge one evening/were invited to stay for dessert and ended up staying many times in CL Lagoon View at Hawaii. I know of many repeaters who ended up as visitors of guests.

Liz
That is how it was for us. As long as your guests aren't in the lounge on a regular basis they had no problem letting us take them in there. I did ask first and she said absolutely!
Old 01-14-2013, 01:00 AM   #1425
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

Do the new cabanas take up a lot of patio space? Is there a map that shows their locations around the pool? Thanks.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: