Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #1276
GinChicago
Earning My Ears

Greetings! I'm second guessing my 3rd floor balcony request for an upcoming trip in Feb. do you prefer balcony or patio? Why? We plan to return from the park mid-day fora rest (DD is 5 and gave up apps so the rest is for me!) I'm wondering if we'd use the patio space more than the balcony. I'm also thinking that the patio might be easier with pool and fireworks viewing.

As I've never been to Poly, I'm consulting the experts!
Old 01-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #1277
Cdn Friends of Pooh
Proud Redhead
We also were required to remove our shoes
ctober is our favorite time of year!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSpeedy View Post
A little bummed that the spring discount doesn't include the Poly CL (I was going to use it to justify upgrading), but I'm not complaining. Hopefully I can get a room request honored to be in Samoa so I can get in one of the refurbished rooms. I figure it's probably my best bet for being finished when we check in on May 13.
I just checked for our dates starting May 15th and CL was available for all three categories - garden, lagoon and Theme Park
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #1278
Wanna be Ariel
DIS Veteran

I have never been to the Poly either and have always loved having a balcony(in fact that is what I asked for at first) But after reading on here I changed to a patio.

My DS will be 2.5 when we go and I know he will crash at night before we are ready. This way me and my DH can sit outside and enjoy the weather and view without him waking up. Also DH or I can go grab a drink and bring it back without going through the room.

Other things that people have said is that the kids played right outside while they sat on the chairs and watched. Easy in and out to the pool(depends where your room is) The only thing is that it will not lock from the outside.

Hope this helps you a little. Love to hear other people

Many Trips Before DS
Sept- Poly CL (DS 1st Trip & DH B-Day)
May- AK Jumbo/SSR (DS B-Day & 1st FG and SWW)
Nov/Dec-BLT LV (DS 1st MVMCP)
Old 01-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #1279
Cdn Friends of Pooh
Proud Redhead
We also were required to remove our shoes
ctober is our favorite time of year!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinChicago View Post
Greetings! I'm second guessing my 3rd floor balcony request for an upcoming trip in Feb. do you prefer balcony or patio? Why? We plan to return from the park mid-day fora rest (DD is 5 and gave up apps so the rest is for me!) I'm wondering if we'd use the patio space more than the balcony. I'm also thinking that the patio might be easier with pool and fireworks viewing.

As I've never been to Poly, I'm consulting the experts!
Personally we prefer the balcony over the patio - just for privacy reasons. If it's convenience you're after, then I'd go with the patio. I figure you can't go wrong with either - afterall you are at Disney and the Poly
Old 01-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #1280
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna be Ariel View Post
I have never been to the Poly either and have always loved having a balcony(in fact that is what I asked for at first) But after reading on here I changed to a patio.

My DS will be 2.5 when we go and I know he will crash at night before we are ready. This way me and my DH can sit outside and enjoy the weather and view without him waking up. Also DH or I can go grab a drink and bring it back without going through the room.

Other things that people have said is that the kids played right outside while they sat on the chairs and watched. Easy in and out to the pool(depends where your room is) The only thing is that it will not lock from the outside.

Hope this helps you a little. Love to hear other people
Hmmm, these are all excellent points. We've always stayed in a room with a balcony at Poly and elsewhere. Honestly, my biggest concern about the patio room is related to bugs and snakes. Is that silly? We'll be there in three weeks and now I'm really rethinking my request. With three boys, it would be kind of nice to sit outside and have some space to run around a little.
Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

August 2014: Last Minute WDW (ASMu)
January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL, GF, BWI!)
August 2015: DL Half Marathon!
Old 01-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #1281
Wanna be Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post
Hmmm, these are all excellent points. We've always stayed in a room with a balcony at Poly and elsewhere. Honestly, my biggest concern about the patio room is related to bugs and snakes. Is that silly? We'll be there in three weeks and now I'm really rethinking my request. With three boys, it would be kind of nice to sit outside and have some space to run around a little.
My big thing for wanting a balcony would be the privacy and I look being able to look around more, but since this trip is all about my DS I know that a patio is better for him. BUT don't think I have not thought about the bugs and snake thing LOL. First sign of anything in my room and I am calling the front desk for a higher floor

With 3 boys you might want that extra room outside

Many Trips Before DS
Sept- Poly CL (DS 1st Trip & DH B-Day)
May- AK Jumbo/SSR (DS B-Day & 1st FG and SWW)
Nov/Dec-BLT LV (DS 1st MVMCP)
Old 01-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #1282
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post
Yikes--thanks for that visual!

I was one of the ones who really liked the patio when I was there with three kids. They could go out and run around, and you could keep them in sight while you were unpacking or whatever. I'm torn on this upcoming trip--I think we'll be there the same time as you!
Old 01-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #1283
buzzmom12
Mouseketeer

We always request the patio. The kids like to play on the grass, its easier to get the stroller in and out and easier access to the beach. I do wish the door locked/unlocked from the outside but we just send one person in.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #1284
Napria
It really *is* the Happiest Place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmom12 View Post
We always request the patio. The kids like to play on the grass, its easier to get the stroller in and out and easier access to the beach. I do wish the door locked/unlocked from the outside but we just send one person in.
I may be wrong, but I thought I saw somewhere that they're upgrading the Poly with RFID locks, including on the outside of the patio doors?

Polynesian July 2013 Ft. Wilderness May 2012 Off property March 2012 Ft. Wilderness June 2011 Ft. Wilderness June 2009 Ocala Camping April 2008 Ft. Wilderness January 2007 Tropical Palms RV Resort December 2004 Animal Kingdom Lodge & Beach Club Villas December 2003 Wilderness Lodge Villas December 2002 Boardwalk Villas December 2001 Ft. Wilderness February 1981
Old 01-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #1285
lsg1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna be Ariel

My big thing for wanting a balcony would be the privacy and I look being able to look around more, but since this trip is all about my DS I know that a patio is better for him. BUT don't think I have not thought about the bugs and snake thing LOL. First sign of anything in my room and I am calling the front desk for a higher floor

With 3 boys you might want that extra room outside
We were on the second floor in Tokelau and had a lizard in our room, so I don't think it matters what floor you are in...bugs and snakes (and lizards) can climb.
WL 9 times from 1997-2008
CBR 95,Disney Inn 93
Offsite 91,88,87,77

Me , DH , DD , DS , DD
Old 01-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #1286
sandym718
DIS Veteran

I'm one that has extolled our love for Poly patios on this thread before!! For all the reasons mentioned above - when the kids used to nap, we could sit outside (and one of us could come/go without disturbing them), to sit out there after putting them to bed at night, etc. Now that the kids are older, it's mainly for the extra "space" it makes us feel like we have. When we start to all feel like we're on top of each other (mainly when getting ready in the morning or before dinner), I send the kids outside to look for lizards or watch the ducks, etc. Also, if one of us was still in the room, or staying in the room, we'd use the patio door to come and go from the pools.

We've stayed first floor 4 times at the Poly and I've never (knocking furiously on wood) seen a bug, lizard or snake in our room.

Oh, and this is coming from a family that, at the beach, requests the highest floor possible...for the view. But that's when we have a 2 BR suite where the extra space isn't needed!

Previous trips as a child/teen: FW 1985, offsite 1991, Disneyland 1992
Family trips: 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012 - all at the Poly!

Old 01-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #1287
KingSpeedy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn Friends of Pooh View Post
I just checked for our dates starting May 15th and CL was available for all three categories - garden, lagoon and Theme Park
It's available, but only at rack rate. The discount only covers non-CL rooms. Any discount that someone sees when booking CL is coming from the tickets. It's not a terrible thing, of course. It'll just give me something to aspire to on my next trip!
Old 01-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #1288
GinChicago
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napria

I may be wrong, but I thought I saw somewhere that they're upgrading the Poly with RFID locks, including on the outside of the patio doors?
This would be ideal--RFID sensors on patio and inside doors! I'll call tomorrow and find out when that will take place. Maybe during longhouse renovations?
Old 01-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #1289
buzzmom12
Mouseketeer

That would be great about the locks. When you call tomorrow please post any info. Tx.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #1290
sandym718
DIS Veteran

I agree, that would be GREAT!

Previous trips as a child/teen: FW 1985, offsite 1991, Disneyland 1992
Family trips: 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012 - all at the Poly!

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: