Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #1021
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindie-rella View Post
Well some ppl were saying that they will be renovating rooms at the POLY the early part of 2013. I have called twice to change from POR Royal Room to a POLY GV and there weren't any available.I asked about the refurbs and she told me there wasn't anything saying this was going to happen ? They only had GV CL or LV or MK view. I ended up taking a LV and even added an extra night ! The price difference is outrageous but what the heck...They told me rooms open up all the time,I can try for a garden view later, but at least I know I have a POLY room booked our 1st stay here and I'm sooo excited ! DH doesn't know yet. I guess he'll find out when we board the Magical Express next April. He really loves POR so I think he will learn to love the POLY even more ! When they give you a Lagoon view are there any specific buildings they have set aside for that? I would love a 1st floor and something close to the GCH...any special request I should make ? Thanks.
Yes, the longhouses are being refurbed in 2013. The schedule isn't really set in stone other than they are starting with Hawaii in January. They are only doing one or two at a time.

The non-CL LV rooms are mainly in Tuvalu and Tahiti. Between those two, Tuvalu is the closest to the GCH. It is small, and just a quick walk around the little marina to the GCH (2 min. walk), beach and volcano pool.

Tahiti is more popular because it is bigger, and is close to the TTC. It currently has double sinks in the bathrooms, which many people consider a bonus, but if I remember correctly I read that all of the longhouses are going to get double sinks in the bathrooms during the refurb.

We have stayed TPV in Tuvalu twice and loved it. It has a nice view of the GF and it's small & quiet, except on Luau nights you can hear the music wafting up from Luau Cove (although it won't bother you if you have the patio doors shut).

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
Old 11-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #1022
KingSpeedy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ame4 View Post
I'm wondering this as well. Timeframe and what will be affected.
The only thing that seems certain is the Hawaii longhouse being worked on from January-March, as that's the blockout for the CL rooms. The last dates I saw said that the refurb will be done by June 14, so by May everything "should" either be finished or being worked on. I'll be there in May as well and I'm hoping specific dates for longhouses will become available at some point so I can make specific longhouse requests.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-28-2012, 05:07 AM   #1023
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

I'm not convinced they're actually going to be renovating Hawaii in Jan. All Ears says nothing about it, Tikiman's stuff hasn't been updated since August. And interestingly, Contemporary CL is also being refurbished in the same time frame. It seems very odd to me that they would have 2 out of 3 monorail hotels, with CL undergoing refurbishment (and thus unavailable), during Feb--April, which is a popular time to go to WDW.

That said, you can't book CL at the Poly during that time frame right now. I know, I've tried. My TA has me in her tickle file--if CL comes up for my travel week, I'm going to be all over that like white on rice!
Old 11-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #1024
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzznBelle'smom View Post
I'm not convinced they're actually going to be renovating Hawaii in Jan. All Ears says nothing about it, Tikiman's stuff hasn't been updated since August. And interestingly, Contemporary CL is also being refurbished in the same time frame. It seems very odd to me that they would have 2 out of 3 monorail hotels, with CL undergoing refurbishment (and thus unavailable), during Feb--April, which is a popular time to go to WDW.

That said, you can't book CL at the Poly during that time frame right now. I know, I've tried. My TA has me in her tickle file--if CL comes up for my travel week, I'm going to be all over that like white on rice!
Tikiman answered a question about the schedule on his FB page a couple of weeks ago. He said since they changed the schedule he hasn't been able to obtain the new one (probably why no update on his website), but his sources confirmed Hawaii will start in January.

ETA: and he said they are re-doing the lounge too - excited to see that!

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean

Last edited by maiapapaya; 11-28-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #1025
toddd
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathie859 View Post
FWIW.....in many other countries, there's a self contained, plug in tea kettle along with the in room coffee service. I believe that is what was being asked.
And no, there's no tea kettle.
On our last stay I tried in vain to get an electric kettle for our room. They didn't seem to know what I was talking about.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #1026
Cindie-rella
...Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever.

Quote:

When I called to get my POLY ressie I had a choice of GV CL or MK view or LV . I chose the LV. But my ressie is for the week of 4/27-5/5. I really don't need a LV so I'm going to keep trying for a GV. It will save us like $800 I think. I'd rather use that on some nice Disney jewelry . We'll see. If not, LV will be just fine !

2000 ASMo 2005 POR 2006 AKL 2007 POR 2008 AKL/OKW 2013 POLY
Old 11-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #1027
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindie-rella View Post
When I called to get my POLY ressie I had a choice of GV CL or MK view or LV . I chose the LV. But my ressie is for the week of 4/27-5/5. I really don't need a LV so I'm going to keep trying for a GV. It will save us like $800 I think. I'd rather use that on some nice Disney jewelry . We'll see. If not, LV will be just fine !
Yeah, I like the idea of the lounge for snacks and fireworks viewing. I'm going solo with 2 of my kids (DD9, DS6), and they're bigger on snacks than meals. So, I'm really hoping for some pixie dust and a delay in the refurb schedule for Hawaii. I would maybe consider the Comtemporary, but not GF (too pricey and not my style), but Contemporary is also on the refurb schedule. If I don't get any pixie dust, we'll be forced to suffer with snacks in our room from wegoshop. Oh, the horror!
Old 11-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #1028
KingSpeedy
Earning My Ears

What're everyone's opinion on the CL lounge vs the beach as a spot for viewing the fireworks? I'm currently booked in a regular GV room but might switch to CL depending on the discounts for May.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #1029
MikeRx
Mouseketeer

Misc. Ramblings...GV vs TPV and the Refurb

We were able to secure a GV room for April 12-18, 2013. Now we wait for the discount (AP, Disney VISA or Public…). I guess we will see what is available during the refurb when we get there/make requests. I will still make a Samoa or Niue request.

We did Tahiti TPV last April and loved it, but decided to be closer to the GCH and pool this time. We loved the view and the POLY, but will enjoy the resort more if we are closer to the main activities. The view was worth the initial wow factor, but we never spent much time just sitting and looking off our balcony. Fireworks were nice to see, but far better with the music when observed from the beach. I’m glad we did TPV once, but will likely not do so again. Tahiti is perfect for ease of use of the TTC, but a good walk for everything else (GCH, Volcano Pool, Luau).

Mike DW DS (4 ½ ) DMIL

First visit 1976, WDW 2/2010 BC CL, Disneyland GC 12/2010, WDW 4/2012 POLY TPV, WDW 7/2012 (off site meeting), WDW 12/12 POP and 4/2013 POLY with Disney Dream cruise!

and
Old 11-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #1030
kathie859
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddd View Post
On our last stay I tried in vain to get an electric kettle for our room. They didn't seem to know what I was talking about.
Yeah....they're not common in the USA in hotels. I have one sitting on my kitchen counter--it boils water quickly and is safer than using a microwave and makes a better "cuppa" since the water is a rolling boil.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #1031
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Quote:
So, I'm really hoping for some pixie dust and a delay in the refurb schedule for Hawaii. I would maybe consider the Comtemporary, but not GF (too pricey and not my style), but Contemporary is also on the refurb schedule. If I don't get any pixie dust, we'll be forced to suffer with snacks in our room from wegoshop. Oh, the horror!
Same here! I'm checking the website every day to see if they delay the refurb and CL becomes available in January. I made our January reservation at the beginning of July and I held out hope that they would delay the renovation and we could book CL. I'm still checking, but less hopeful. I think I need to prepare for trips to Captain Cooks for snacks (and maybe Tambu, and maybe Kona Sushi!)
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/Poly)
April 2015: WL and AOA!
Old 11-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #1032
KingSpeedy
Earning My Ears

I think that the refurb schedule at this point is final. They already pushed it back once, and it's only a month away. I'm not sure they'd want to deal with the disaster of moving a month's worth of CL bookings in March to other resorts and have January completely unbooked with only a month before it.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:01 PM   #1033
ljmclin
Mouseketeer

Just wanted to see my ticker! We actually leave tomorrow, but won't check into the Poly until Sunday. I've been waiting for this weekend since January!!! It's been 2yrs since we've been to Disney and the wonderful Poly and we are ready! Thanks guys for helping me pass the time (and pick up interesting info) over the last 12mo!!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:13 AM   #1034
PolyAddict
Our City Our Home...Finish Strong

Anything under refurb during Feb 9-15?

thanks
Old 11-30-2012, 09:19 AM   #1035
chamonix

Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSpeedy View Post
What're everyone's opinion on the CL lounge vs the beach as a spot for viewing the fireworks? I'm currently booked in a regular GV room but might switch to CL depending on the discounts for May.
Although the view is good from the lounge, I prefer the beach. Unless the weather was really bad I would rather be outside viewing fireworks, not watching them through glass.
Star Wars Weekends June 2011 Polynesian

December 2010 Beach Club
Star Wars Weekends June 2010 Polynesian
~Tiki fest summer 2009~ Polynesian
Ho’omahana summer 2008 Polynesian
~Tiki fest summer 2007~ March 2007 Polynesian
March 2006 Polynesian
October 2005 Polynesian
October 2004, March 2004 Polynesian
December 2003, December 2002 Polynesian

Disneyland Hotel 2001
Closed Thread