Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons > Planning our Happily Ever After
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2012, 02:58 AM   #16
djsmith
Mouseketeer

*** means because

ok for some reason when i type c o s without the spaces the disboards replaces it with 3 *s. I dunno why maybe it thinks its a swear word or something
c o s is my way of saying because in a shorter way and i use it quite often. from now on i'l try using bcos or if that fails it will jus need to be the full word but just incase i forget if 3*s come up it means i tried to type c o s

will check bck in soon

Debra
xXx

Our Wedding Planning Journal 4th June 2014
Debra Richard
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2985595
djsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #17
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !
DLRP is quite simply my spiritual home

Hi sweetie.
Sorry I have taken so long to comment in your thread, but I am now all caught up with your plans.
I am so excited that you have decided on the Courtyard for your wedding!!
I am sure you will love it. It really is such a pretty spot for small, intimate weddings and always looks beautiful when done up in some floral for a wedding.
I would also recommend looking at the possibility of using an outside vendor for your cake. We used Heather at 'It's Tasty Too' and she was amazing!!! My cake was just as I imagined it would be and was absolutely delicious!!! It lasted really well too, and was still moist and fresh several days later. She offered a good range of cake flavours and fillings and was extremely reasonably priced.

http://www.itstastytoo.com/index.html

Good luck with dress shopping!!!!

tinkerbell 766 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #18
djsmith
Mouseketeer

The Scottish Wedding Show 16th Sept 2012

So last weekend me, my mum, my sister (bridesmaid), Future mother in law and future sister in law travelled from edinburgh to glasgow (bout an hour an half drive) for a big wedding fair at a massive concert venue called the SECC.

We were there for doors opening at 10am and didnt leave until they were chucking us out at 6pm!

Here's me at my sister at the start of the day!

This was the first and only wedding fair i'v been to so far and i went with the intention of just speaking to vendors for the reception and just getting ideas for dresses, hair, accessories and to work out if there was anything i hadnt thought of yet. I never planned to try anything on neither did my sister but we ended up trying a lot on. I also now have a much clearer idea about what i dont want and some ideas about what i do.

First we came to a jewellery stall. Here i tried on lots of different tiaras and a few veils. My sister tried some tiaras and hairpieces with and without hairbands. My mum and FMIL looked and tried some hair pieces too.
We discovered that i dont suit big crown like tiaras and that i do not like veils as expected.
Here is the first tiara i tried on

when i looked back at the end of the day i decided this was my favourite tiara out of all i saw during the day. And when i looked at the label i think fate was playing its part. The tiara was called "belle" !!! (while i immediately thought of Belle from beauty and the beast, fiances family who'd only heard me say bell and not seen the spelling with the e on the end thought it was my future surname - Debra Bell.)
here is a few other tiaras i tried on throughout the day

here is a few hairpieces my sister tried on. She really liked the big tiaras and she wanted one of them i reminded her that i was the bride so she could not have a bigger tiara than mine! I have a feeling that if she ever gets married she'l have a big pouffy princess dress and a massive crown like tiara! while theres nothing wrong with this its just not me and not what i like or want.

We then browsed a few stalls with wedding day cars that i dont really need, a hair and make up stall and a stall that gave me a sample of confetti made from real flower petals in the colours i said we'd choosen (bcos we dont have any specific colour scheme i just said greens and purple). Then we came to the first stall that had dresses on it. I wasnt really planning on looking too hard or trying any on as i'm going into some bridal shops in a few weeks and would rather wait till then. BUT after we talked/bullied my sister into trying on a bridesmaids dress that she loved the colour and style of i kinda got dress fever and i think i ended up trying on about 10 dresses by the end of the day!
Here is the bridesmaid and the lovely dress
Front

Back

We're hoping that while we're in bridal shops in a few weeks time she can find a pocket of time where she's not at uni where we can go to the shop and try this dress on in a green colour as well as this purple so she can decide what colour she likes best. Both would go with the kilts and i'm not fussed which she picks they'l both look great.

The first dress i picked to try just after my sister found her dress

Some of the other dresses i tried. The more i tried to take photos the more i discovered more and more of the vendors running the stalls were telling me we weren't allowed to take pictures bcos it was copyright or the designers hadnt given permission for photos or they were new designs that the designers were worried others would copy etc etc etc. So i dont have pictures of one of the dresses that i liked the most but i'v tried my hardest to remember which stalls i tried them at and will hopefully be able to visit the corresponding shops and try/take pictures there. So here are the ones i did get pics of

I saw lots and lots of cakes and again wasnt allowed to take any pictures but we ate lots of samples of cakes and tablet and dipped fudge into a chocolate fountain

Unfortunately my sister had to leave around 2pm to go to work and my mum left with her to drive her to her flat so she could change etc. She lives in glasgow and the flat was only around 15mins away but when my mum tried to drive back she got diverted and stuck in traffic bcos of a car crash accident so she ended up being away till about half 4/5ish.
While they were away me, FMIL and FSIL grabbed a coffee/hot chocolate for me and then went to watch the wedding fashion show. It was mainly bridal dresses but did show mens wear, bridesmaids, children's wear, and mother of the bride/groom wear. I enjoyed the show and even fought back tears a few times but i didnt see any dresses that made me go "wow i want that dress!"

Overall i really enjoyed it. my hands were aching from carrying 3 bags full of leaflets from all the vendors and they were looking quite red as well. I discovered a few things.
I want a small silver tiara with crystals
i do not like pearls
i do not want a veil
ivory dresses suit my skin tone better than pure white dresses
i do not want a train on my dress/if i must have a train it wont be longer than about a foot
dresses that "wrap" around my body especially around my waist flatter me best
i do not like lace
a sweetheart neckline that i originally wanted doesnt fit me properly
i should try dresses with straight necklines (mayb a slight drop in the centre)
i either want a 1 shoulder, hallterneck or thin straps. i dont suit thick straps
i like dresses with corset backs
less layers=less pouffyness so the less layers the better
i thought i wanted a plain dress but a little bit of sparkle is actually quite nice (emphasis on little lol)

So it shouldnt be too hard to find my perfect dress lol

Debra
xXX

Debra Richard
Old 09-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #19
Summer Daydream
Mouseketeer

That bridal show looks like such a good time. You and your sister look so much alike, but I'm sure you're used to hearing that! I love the list you made of what you like and don't like about the dresses/tiara/veil. I have a few lists of what I think I want, but I'm sure I will wind up getting something that is the complete opposite of what I have my heart set on now! The dress for your sister is beautiful, love the corset back and she looked really comfortable in it. Glad you learned a lot an got some info to help you with your planning
Old 09-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #20
djsmith
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Daydream View Post
That bridal show looks like such a good time. You and your sister look so much alike, but I'm sure you're used to hearing that! I love the list you made of what you like and don't like about the dresses/tiara/veil. I have a few lists of what I think I want, but I'm sure I will wind up getting something that is the complete opposite of what I have my heart set on now! The dress for your sister is beautiful, love the corset back and she looked really comfortable in it. Glad you learned a lot an got some info to help you with your planning
it was such a fun day cant wait to go to another one in november in edinburgh this time (i live jus outside of edinburgh by like 20mins so it'l b so much easier 2 get 2) plus it'l b gd to speak to vendors that r a lot more local an now that i have more of an idea wht i do an dont want/need it should b more helpful. if not i'l jus enjoy the atmosphere lol plus 2 of my good friends also jus got engaged so i might ask the new future bride along to join in the fun!
You know i do hear it a bit but i dnt see it! i dnt think we look that alike(altho we do in that photo) i look mostly like our dad an she looks very much like our mum. But people who'd never met or seen her at the engagement party could pick her out as my sister straight away so we must look alike lol
She loves it too!!! its meant 2 have purple ribbon i really like the white in the corset tho

Debra Richard
Old 10-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #21
djsmith
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell 766 View Post
Hi sweetie.
Sorry I have taken so long to comment in your thread, but I am now all caught up with your plans.
I am so excited that you have decided on the Courtyard for your wedding!!
I am sure you will love it. It really is such a pretty spot for small, intimate weddings and always looks beautiful when done up in some floral for a wedding.
I would also recommend looking at the possibility of using an outside vendor for your cake. We used Heather at 'It's Tasty Too' and she was amazing!!! My cake was just as I imagined it would be and was absolutely delicious!!! It lasted really well too, and was still moist and fresh several days later. She offered a good range of cake flavours and fillings and was extremely reasonably priced.

http://www.itstastytoo.com/index.html

Good luck with dress shopping!!!!
sorry i'm just replyin now i thought i had done but i must'v planned to reply then convinced myself i had lol
I love the courtyard an i think its jus perfect for us with us having such a small wedding an me not liking being centre of attention i'l feel all shut off in our own wee world i'm sure!
Also thank u for recommending its tasty too for a cake. got prices back for them today(minus decoration costs so will see how much that adds on doubt it'd b took much) but basically i think it'l b bout half the price of the cake package just marry offer. Did u cut the cake etc urself or did u hire someone from the swan to cut an serve for u?
not found my perfect dress yet but gettin more an more of an idea wht i dont want lol more dress shoppin next week

Debra
xXx

Debra Richard
Old 10-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #22
BritKansas
Earning My Ears

Firstly Congratulations! Everything looks good so far & good luck with your dress shopping next week! Can't wait to read more and follow your planning
Old 10-21-2012, 06:39 AM   #23
djsmith
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritKansas View Post
Firstly Congratulations! Everything looks good so far & good luck with your dress shopping next week! Can't wait to read more and follow your planning
Thank u Brit an glad ur following along! a quick update about dresses comin in a few moments

Debra Richard
Old 10-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #24
djsmith
Mouseketeer

Update dresses and more

Ok well there doesnt seem to be too much to update so this might be a bit short.
Dress shopping in glasgow didnt turn out 2 be as good as i hoped. Had made a list of shops i wanted to visit so i phoned and made appointments. the 3rd shop i phoned pointed out there price range to me(without me asking) an i realised what they're cheapest dresses were priced at were already over my flexi none confirmed budget of what i planned 2 spend on my dress in my head. so because of that each time i phoned a shop from then on i asked for there price range. This lead to a few shops being scored off the list! its a shame but i figure whats the point trying on dresses i cant afford only 2 b very disappointed if i found one i loved but could get it .
I did find a dress i love to pieces, an after having it on i wasnt interested in tryin any others on the problem is that its from a store in glasgow that also has a store in edinburgh but if i was to buy that dress they'd not send it to the edinburgh branch for my fittings/alterations. This annoyed me a bit as altho glasgow is only 45mins-1hour45mins away depending on whether u take the train, drive myself or get a bus/coach thro going to the edinburgh branch would be so much more convenient both money an time wise. so after thinkin bout it i decided not 2 put a deposit down on the dress an had the idea of visitin the edinburgh store to see if they stock the same dress and if i still love it if i try it on there then it could be all good
second dress disappointment. We visited the shop that stocks the dress my sister tried on at the wedding fair. it was kind of a pointless trip as the only thing she could try on was the same dress in purple again. Altho they had it in the jade green colour that she wanted to try it was only on a display manniquin in a size 6. tht was several sizes too small for her an the sales assistant wasnt too keen on taking it off the manniquin to even attempt to try it on the plus side she still absolutely loves the dress an she either needs 2 pick the colour without seeing both on or she'l need to keep going back and asking if they'v gotten more sizes in stock. Also when she tried it on at the wedding fair it had white ribbon in the back, in the shop it had purple to match the dress. I cant remember what my sister prefered but i remember me prefering the white and my mum prefering the purple!
despite not tryin the dress on in the colour we wanted i liked chatting 2 the saleswoman in this shop. turns out she is gettin married in cyprus grove in florida next year! it was great talking to her about her wedding plans as well as mine and she shared some good tips on things like which airlines will let you take your dress on as hand luggage in a box and which ones wont and which ones will only view you as a wedding party if you'v booked the whole wedding through them etc.

in other news i'v emailed 3 different photographers about prices and to discuss all the things we want to do. This is being quite a slow process as it either takes a while to get a reply or i take a few days to reply as i havnt had much time recently and its only gonna get busier as christmas approaches.
must email its too tasty back with more info on what sort of design we'd be looking for.....
have also emailed beaute speciale about hair and make up for me and my mum and sister and for FMIL and FSIL. havnt gotten reply from them yet in about a month so must chase that up.

more news is that fiances family have been looking at florida brochures and FSIL is looking up every single ride online/ride videos on youtube. They'r getting super excited! My nephew whos dino mad at the minute can already tell you what characters he's gonna see and who as he puts it "i no need to see them" so he's definitely excited about jurassic park, he also needs to see harry potter and lightning mcqueen and shrek and mickey and the simpsons and the toy story gang and possibly woody woodpecker(depending on how he feels about woody when you ask him). the ones he doesnt want to see when shown pictures are minnie, donald, daisy, goofy, pluto, any of the princesses, spider man, stitch, any whinnie the pooh charaters, the cat in the hat and stitch. I'm sure by the time he's 5 and he's there he'l wanna meet them all but for a 3 and 1/2 year old this isnt the bunch of characters i thought he would and wouldnt wanna see lol
sticking with fiances family after looking at the brochures and realising theres more to florida than rollercoasters, fiances nana an papa are again talking about coming. I think what has swung it for them was the idea of seeing animals at busch gardens and seaworld that they could go there and have so much to see without going on any kind of ride. His nana really wants to go now and his papa has agreed to go speak to the doctor get a proffessional opinion on him flying and the heat etc. This is a BIG step for them considering there was one point where they were dead set on the wedding not even being in florida lol dunno if they'l actually make it but we'l see what happens.

Well that turned out to be quite a long update! to anyone still following along thanks and i'l keep you posted on anything interesting worth updating on

Debra
xXx

Debra Richard
Old 11-04-2012, 02:45 AM   #25
djsmith
Mouseketeer

Nothing new to update right now on the wedding front apart from the fact that me and Rich are going to a big wedding fair today! was originally goinog with my mum bcos he wasnt too fussed about going but its my mums birthday today so i kinda bribed him with the idea of free cake tasting and the like and he agreed to come so i'm excited to be going with him this time and starting to plan things together although i'm a controlling rich did say he wanted to pick the reception etc so if anything he might be able to pick the venue, cake maker, and entertainment all in once place today! i can hope lol

Will update later with any interesting wedding developments.

In other news I got a wee bit of adrenaline fix the other weekend. went to alton towers with some brownie friends for someone's 18th birthday. It was a fun weekend we had a laugh but with it being halloween and the english school holidays the park was very busy. We waited 2 hours for a few of the big rollercoasters which i hate doing and if i wasnt with people who hadnt been before i wouldnt have waited that length of time. Even after being in the park for 2 days there was still 3 big rides that we didnt do which was quite gutting but i'v been on 2 of them before and we'r planning on going back to alton towers with my parents and sister and her boyfriend next may (it looks like the boyfriend is permanent and will be coming to the wedding but he is not a theme park or ride person at all so we're trying to break him in slowly before florida in 2014 lol)

Have a good day everyone! I'm looking forward to mine!
Debra
xXx

Debra Richard
Old 11-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #26
djsmith
Mouseketeer

ok so the wedding fair was fun apart from rich getting bored very easily lol 2 many vendors talking 2 u bout the same things over an over again lol A few good things came out of it though.

1. Richard has decided he'd like to go paintballing as part of his stag do. Will leave that 2 him and the guys to plan lol

2.After tasting loads of cakes we'v picked 2 of the tiers flavours for our home receptions cake. We'l definitely be having a layer of vanilla sponge and a layer of toffee i also tried a "bounty" coconut cake that i loved so this is a possibility dont think rich is too keen on it (he didnt try it) but we'l see

3. We spoke to quite a few places for the reception that are in edinburgh. There's now a few places we need to go visit and once we book the flights etc next spring we need to get one booked asap. Richard has the final say on the reception so will see how he gets on with that its the only thing he needs to organise lol

4.We also spoke to a few Dj's and we got on great with 3 of them. They were very easy to talk to seemed to be on the same wavelength as us and all have had many many years experience doing weddings so that another decision we'll need to make and book when we book the reception.

5. last but not least we have some major news on the rings!!!!
from meeting a vendor at the wedding fair we arranged for one of their representatives to come to our flat and show us the collection of rings. The home visit was amazing and so relaxed and we loved every minute of it. it was magical

mines is white gold with diamonds on each side and sits really well against the square diamond in my engagement ring.
Richard's is white gold with the gold square thing design all around the band (thats the only picture they had of the ring they couldnt get one with a better colouring)

they were within budget (just!!) but they came with 4 free gifts and then there was a scratch card that we got given at the wedding fair that we scratched off revealing the highest prize bracket!
so the gifts will be a set of best man cufflinks, 2 pairs of silver cubic zirconia earrings, and a heart shaped pendant with a small cubic zirconia in it. I'm sure my scratch card prize i picked was also a necklace but i cant remember exactly what it looked like and there are not any pictures on their website anymore.

So i think thats everything for the wedding updates. In normal life i'm looking forward to putting my xmas tree up next weekend, decorating the flat and since all the xmas present shopping is done it just needs wrapped and handed out :D

Hope you all have a merry christmas and a happy new year! Enjoy the festivities :D

Debra
xXx

Debra Richard
Old 12-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #27
rachaelk101
Earning My Ears

Those are gorgeous rings!! You have some great pictures and ideas! My fiance is from Scotland and we are trying to tie a Scottish theme into our wedding so I am looking forward to watching your posts to see if you do as well!
Old 12-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #28
djsmith
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaelk101 View Post
Those are gorgeous rings!! You have some great pictures and ideas! My fiance is from Scotland and we are trying to tie a Scottish theme into our wedding so I am looking forward to watching your posts to see if you do as well!
hi rachael, thanks for the comments! i love my ring can not wait till i get 2 wear it every day still waiting on them being delivered everythings sorta grinded 2 a halt over xmas. i dunno how much scottish stuff we'l have in the wedding bar the kilts lol but u never know there might be some scottish things that creep in

Debra Richard
Old 12-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #29
Summer Daydream
Mouseketeer

Ahh I missed the ring post! I love them. They are so unique. I looked up that show you were talking about, Don't Tell the Bride, and I am with you. Why doesn't the bride school the groom in what she wants before hand? Oh, and my parents are looking for the cake topper for you...they packed them away for safe keeping and can't find them now
Old 12-31-2012, 02:49 AM   #30
djsmith
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Daydream View Post
Ahh I missed the ring post! I love them. They are so unique. I looked up that show you were talking about, Don't Tell the Bride, and I am with you. Why doesn't the bride school the groom in what she wants before hand? Oh, and my parents are looking for the cake topper for you...they packed them away for safe keeping and can't find them now
Thanks! originally i thought rich would'v went for a plain quite thick white gold wedding band but now that he's picked that one i actually see why he did its so him, thinkin bout it if he gets any jewellary its always sorta tribal so 2 me his ring fits in wi that

i know i'v watched so many of them an some come out with amazin weddings that were either exactly as they wanted or better than the bride could'v imagined herself but so many of them get it all sooooo horribly wrong. i saw someone who wanted their bride 2 feel like a medieval princess so he made her walk through a muddy field in her dress before he came along an rescued her on a horse. saw another one where the bride went 2 thorpe park(a theme park near london) to go on a rollercoaster in her wedding dress as thats where they first met or had there first date or something. an another one made his bride sky dive or bungee jump in her dress! Although they r fun unique ideas none of the brides were impressed wi doing it in their wedding dresses! An the amount of them that get the dresses completely wrong is amazin almost no one gets it right. Like we both said why would u not just school them on every tiny detail of what the wedding should be even write it all on a piece of paper that could be kept off camera and checked like at night or something the cameras dont film the groom every second of the day just when he's doin wedding stuff lol

wow that turned into a long paragragh lol

an thanks for getting them to look for me they sound like me i'm really bad for putting things in a safe place an then forgetting an never finding them again. Still lots of time tho i have 6months till i can ask for my date but only 4 months till i can book the flights etc fingers crossed when we book flights i can then get a date within the 2 weeks we'r there

Debra
xXx

Debra Richard

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: