Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Disney Promotions and Celebrations--Current Promotion: Limited Time Magic
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
jorybella
Mouseketeer

Book thru travel agent or myself???

Hi guys! Love your advice and need some now. We have always booked via a travel agent. But I am wondering what the difference is if I book it myself? Thoughts....
jorybella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
smartblnde
Earning My Ears

We have done it both ways, and I, personally, now prefer to make them myself.

When you want/need to change anything, if you book directly, you can contact WDW reservations during more hours than a travel agent is available. I am SO a member of the instant gratification crowd.

Also, I would think the travel agent would let us know if any discounts became available. I was wrong, and a 25 or 30 percent code came out while I waited for her to contact me. It did not really matter, but a TA may not keep you as informed as you may prefer.

Finally, our TA did not tell us that when we changed ANY aspect of our res (made before the tix price increase) we would be charged the increased price. So, we added my daughter and were then charged the increase fee, even though we were adding a person.

One more.... the TA gets 10% commission. WDW trips reserved through AAA get a 10% discount. So, there is 20% WDW isn't getting. When the discounts came out last week, there was a 5% discount for our room, but could not be combined with any other discounts.

So, if you are a control freak and like instant gratification, I recommend 'DIY.'

Hope you have a great time, either way!
smartblnde is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
Jersey Dad
Earning My Ears

It's pretty easy to book yourself but I prefer to go with a travel agent. Yes, the agent gets a small commission but it also keeps them employed.

If they are a good agent, I prefer Andy from Mouse Tales Travel, they are on top of the discounts and on the phone the morning a discount is announced.

My agent was able to get us the discount the day it was announced and before I even heard about. He sent me an email letting me know how much we saved.

Could you do this all yourself? Sure you could, but I prefer to let someone else handle and let them earn a few bucks that don't come out of my pocket.
Jersey Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
turnlisa
DIS Veteran

Make sure that if you go with a TA you go with one that is an Authorized Disney Planner. The problems described by the previous poster may be because their TA is not earmarked.

An authorized planner should do all the things that the previous poster expected:
* Tell you about discounts
* Warn you if something is going to cost extra
* There is no charge to you for their services. A good TA shouldn't charge you any extra to use them.

TAs can be great about helping with other things as well, such as setting up ADRs, warning you about refurbs and helping with itinerary planning.

Whichever way you go, have a great vacation! Remember that planning can be part of the fun!

turnlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
Hunclemarco
DIS Veteran

I've booked both personally and through AAA. Going through AAA will give discounts that booking ourselves wouldn't allow. If i have enough time in planning, i book AAA. If it's an unexpected, quick trip, i book myself.

Also, Disney doesn't allow for more than one discount ever...so, if you're getting "free dining", you won't get a percentage off your room...or you won't get a double percentage discount on a room. Where both we and the travel agent would have to be alert is by checking to see if the percentages change for the better or worse. We'd expect the travel agent to do that, but i'm generally cautious and check up on these things myself as well.

ETA: I personally enjoy the planning process... i'll have the TA make the resort reservation, i do the rest! (when not doing DVC)

January 1979 Offsite; January 1992 POR; March 1999Honeymoon ; May 2002 CBR; May 2008 Offsite; November 2008 CBR March 2009 DVC SSR, BCV; August 2009 DVC AKV,BCV; December 2009 DVC SSR; February 2010 DVC BCV; November 2010 DVC BWV; May 2011 POP; March 2012 DCL Dream and POP; May 2012 POP; April 2013 DVC BCV; November 2013 CSR; Yacht Club, DCL Dream and BWV May 2014, SSR and AKV-Jambo September 2014
Hunclemarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #6
jorybella
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much! I wasn't sure what the difference would be so thanks for letting me know. We do have AAA so I will probably book through their travel agent.
jorybella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
weHEARTmickey
Dreamin' of Disney.......

Thumbs up Another perspective....

I am a travel agent who ONLY books Disney. I do know what you all are talking about with being concerned about a TA not checking your vacation for updated discounts, rates, etc... That happened to me before I became a TA! (It was very frustrating, but my trip wasn't booked with a Disney-exclusive TA)

I'm not trying to "get your business" but I am here to tell you what a travel agent does... I book trips and ANY time a new discount comes out, I plug in my client's vacations to see which choice saves them more money. I saved someone almost $1,000 a while back, and I was happy to help them. If you are concerned with a TA saying "Oh, I don't want their trip total to go down because it will decrease my commissions," let me ASSURE you that the small amount of commission I would lose over getting my clients a greater deal is TINY compared to the gratefulness they have for my services. This is how we, as travel agents, get referrals & return customers!

I offer concierge services to all my clients (as do many Disney-exclusive TAs.) For example, I got up at 5:30am & was on the phone with Disney for 3.5 hours, and made 400+ phone calls to get some of my clients ADRs at "Be Our Guest." And I was HAPPY to do it! I "get my kicks" making my clients happy, and I'm sure most Disney TAs would say the same!

I give a day-by-day itinerary to each client, along with a bonus for booking with me. Again, this is something most of us offer. But, I can tell you it's not a service you'll find with all TAs, especially those who book regular/non-Disney trips. My clients know they can call me 24 hours a day to ask 1 or 1000 questions. (The Disney phone line is definitely not open 24 hours a day!)

Remember, booking with a TA doesn't cost you one dime. Like Jersey Dad mentioned, yes you can book it yourself. But by booking through a TA, you are helping to employ other Disney fanatics, like yourself!
Oct 6, 2012-Anniversary Cruise- 7 Nights on Magic with DH ..~.. Oct 27, 2012- 7 Nights on Disney Magic w/Kids & Granny
Dec 2012-8 days of Deluxe Dining at the Poly ..~.. Dec 2012- 6 Night Christmas surprise on Disney Magic
Jan 2013-1st trip to DISNEYLAND!! Disneyland Hotel ..~.. May 2013-8 days at Yacht Club/Grand Floridian/AKL/AoA!
Sept 2013-13 days Wilderness Club Level & AKL Club Level NOJ ..~.. Oct 2013 DCL HalloWONDER Cruise
June 2014: Last Minute Combo trip: Disney Dream + Coronado Springs Resort
UPCOMING Trips: WDW 2 weeks, Disneyland 1 week, AULANI 10 days
weHEARTmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #8
jdevine14
Earning My Ears

My family has booked both ways. I will say that last couple of times we have booked through Mouse Fan Travel. They are awesome!! We use Leslie and she is so on top of everything. I am always sending business her way and anyone who deals with her loves her as well. The nice thing about them is they dont take a commission they get paid through Disney. SO she is there for you and it doesn't cost you anything extra!!

Look them up and give them a try you wont regret it.

http://www.mousefantravel.com/

Disdad14 on Twitter and Instagram!

Been to WDW over 15 times in my life!!!
jdevine14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #9
smartblnde
Earning My Ears

@weheartmickey,

I want YOU for my travel agent!

If our agent had your approach, my earlier post would have been different. Our agent is certified for Disney, but only available during AAA hours. Not after 6pm and no Sundays. I am not one who would call incessantly.

It would have been really nice to have been told our ticket prices were going to change when we added our daughter.

I used to be an agent, and loved it. Just like in all career areas, there are good ones and there are bad ones.

J
smartblnde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #10
weHEARTmickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartblnde View Post
@weheartmickey,

I want YOU for my travel agent!

If our agent had your approach, my earlier post would have been different. Our agent is certified for Disney, but only available during AAA hours. Not after 6pm and no Sundays. I am not one who would call incessantly.

It would have been really nice to have been told our ticket prices were going to change when we added our daughter.

I used to be an agent, and loved it. Just like in all career areas, there are good ones and there are bad ones.

J
Awww, thank you! I would love to be your TA! I don't know the DIS policy for "soliciting business" and I certainly don't want to break the rules. I will send you a pm
Oct 6, 2012-Anniversary Cruise- 7 Nights on Magic with DH ..~.. Oct 27, 2012- 7 Nights on Disney Magic w/Kids & Granny
Dec 2012-8 days of Deluxe Dining at the Poly ..~.. Dec 2012- 6 Night Christmas surprise on Disney Magic
Jan 2013-1st trip to DISNEYLAND!! Disneyland Hotel ..~.. May 2013-8 days at Yacht Club/Grand Floridian/AKL/AoA!
Sept 2013-13 days Wilderness Club Level & AKL Club Level NOJ ..~.. Oct 2013 DCL HalloWONDER Cruise
Old 09-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #11
DisneyMommyNewbie
Earning My Ears

Hey, I would love to get more info from you also!!!! I'm looking to possibly book a last min, well not last min....but in Dec for the free dining....could you pm me
Pop January 2013..so EXCITED to go back so soon!!!!

DisneyMommyNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #12
weHEARTmickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMommyNewbie View Post
Hey, I would love to get more info from you also!!!! I'm looking to possibly book a last min, well not last min....but in Dec for the free dining....could you pm me
PM sent You won't be able to pm me back until you get to 10 posts, though.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #13
JustMeFran
Mouseketeer

We decided, after getting quotes from AAA, Disney.com and Dreams Unlimited to go with Dreams Unlimited. AAA was more expensive then the other 2. Dreams was the same price as Disney.com BUT they would automatically be on the look out for discounts and apply them as needed and they have done an amazing job getting ADRs for us! No extra cost from us, they get their commission from Disney. Love them, and def will use them again and would recommend them to everyone!

JustMeFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #14
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

I think if you know what to expect going into both options, they can both be great.

There are some travel agents (like the above poster) that love what they do, and do it very well. Others, not so much.

I think the biggest complaint I hear is that people book through a travel agent and then proceed to call Disney to make changes, or ask questions, and then they get very upset when Disney directs them back to the travel agent.

I personally always book myself, but I'm a Type A control freak
Old 10-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #15
dizprincess717
LOVE: It will not betray you, dismay or enslave you - it will set you free.

I'm very pro-travel agent. Some agents work stricly on commission while others earn a small salary on top of commission, but either way by booking with a TA you're helping out the economy to keep them in business.

I'm sure there are some duds out there that promise to keep checking for discounts and don't, but I trust my TA. She's on top of all the discounts and calls or emails me within a few days of the promotion.

Ultimately it comes down to what you're most comfortable with!

Just Believe

November 1991 -- Fort Wilderness April 1993 -- Caribbean Beach June 1996 -- Wilderness Lodge
Christmas 1998 -- Wilderness Lodge June 2004 -- Fort Wilderness March 2005 -- Caribbean Beach
January-May 2006 -- CP Splash Mnt. Hostess March 2008 -- Off-Site December 2008 - Off-Site
June 2009 -- All-Star Sports November 2012 -- Old Key West November 2014 -- Old Key West

But if I know you, I know what you'll do...

dizprincess717 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: