Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #91
Disco
Hail Eris!

Well, reading about the 7 day cap and it makes sense that parks are built around it. However, when they add on at WDW it entices me to go more often even if I don't stay longer. I haven't been to WDW in 6 years because I have done it all and there wasn't anything really new to see. Quite the opposite really they've done nothing but shrunk. They closed PI, WOL, Galaxy Theater along with many other minor features and details.
Now that they're renovating FL I'm thinking about returning. Unfortunately, most of that desire is to take a trip to US though really.
My last trip was actually to DLR. It's a 9 hour drive for me and I hate doing that. Flying would be a lot nicer but it is way cheaper to go to WDW so I would rather do that.
All the new rides at DLR were the new ones at WDW (ST and LM (Cars wasn’t open yet)). Now that I've ridden them there is no overwhelming desire to go to Florida even with the new FLR. Maybe when the SD mine ride is done or maybe even when Avatar Land is done?
Even when the FL renovation is done WDW will still be a "smaller" park than in years past. It will take Avatar land or an expansion at HS to really excite me. Not that the Avatar theme really excites me that much, it would just be something new at least. My only other desire is to take my kids just so they can see it all.
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #92
Figment1990
DIS Veteran

One more thing for me to add/clarify re: why I think Carsland would be a nice addition to WDW.

It really was well-done. Seriously. It was impressive. I am always happy when Disney impresses people because that is what Disney did for me on our first trips, and why I keep going back. So I would like Disney to add something impressive, like CL.

I would like to say that I think it would take a serious amount of land for them to bring Carsland to DHS. People have mentioned things like replacing LMA, or the backlot tour (what's left of it). Even that, I'm not certain it's enough. The main street of RS is sort of small (and that surprised me). But Cadillac Range and RSR are really HUGE. They probably could do it, but it would be a major change.

First trip: Mar 90, Polynesian Most recent trips: Feb '14, Princess 1/2 - GF; Jan '14, Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon! - GCH; Nov '13, Wine & Dine 1/2Marathon - BWI! In-between: Grand Floridian, AKV-Kidani, Poly, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs, Disneyland Hotel
Figment1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #93
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDale79 View Post
That's actually one of the points I was trying to make, by adding new attractions or new resorts, what does it do? It peaks people's interest, and instead of going to the beach this year, that family might go to WDW for their vacation.
Except...they have added attractions (and a whole park), in the past...and it hasn't made a difference in attendance. And by attendance, I mean "total attendance at all 4 parks". Not attendance at a specific park.

So...new attractions/lands aren't doing it.

Which means there are likely other factors (like..those that can afford it and are interested are already coming...those that can't or aren't, aren't likely to change their mind based on "more Disney") at work.

Quote:
If investments are not made at WDW it becomes old and stale, like almost every other theme park in America, and loses its magic.
And no one is implying it should stop.

But there is a difference in "refreshing" and 750 million dollars.

Quote:
Quite honestly you guys believe that WDW is maxed out and Disney wouldn't spend money to attract people.

Personally, I think thats wrong, Disney has been always been one step ahead of the other theme parks, its because they try new, innovative things and aren't afraid to spend the big bucks to do it right. If that practice changes, Disney is just another Carowinds.
Not "we believe"....like there's no basis for it.

"History has shown".

There's a big difference between the two.

Quote:
As long as people have expendable income, WDW has grown potential.
I'm assuming you mean "disposable"...which is fine, I just want to make sure I'm assuming the right thing.

I have a feeling you're failing to see the irony (and the fact you've hit on the biggest issue) in that statement.

Last edited by pilferk; 08-30-2012 at 04:02 PM.
pilferk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #94
Disneyfreak44
Mouseketeer

I know a lot of people probably disagree with me on this but I really hope this doesn't happen finally DCA has something very nice and very unique to make it a Disney worthy park and now the what I would say most magnificent thing Disney has ever created is being copied to DHS. Just knowing that route 66 runs through California just makes it that much better Cars Land fits right in to California. Having a Cars Land in Florida doesn't even make sense so I say don't let the beautiful Cars Land be copied!
Most recent trip was to Walt Disney World we stayed at Caribbean beach and got to experience mymagic+ and the Magic Bands and it was awesome!
Disneyfreak44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #95
Sweettears
50 years of Disney and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfreak44 View Post
I know a lot of people probably disagree with me on this but I really hope this doesn't happen finally DCA has something very nice and very unique to make it a Disney worthy park and now the what I would say most magnificent thing Disney has ever created is being copied to DHS. Just knowing that route 66 runs through California just makes it that much better Cars Land fits right in to California. Having a Cars Land in Florida doesn't even make sense so I say don't let the beautiful Cars Land be copied!
Not disagreeing but how does Soarin' fit in Fla?
Sweettears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #96
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweettears

Not disagreeing but how does Soarin' fit in Fla?
Soarin is the kinda quick cloning that we should be adamantly against...

The answer is soarin DOESN'T fit in WDW...the fact that it is a film about California...built for California Adventure...makes it not fit.

But hey, they build copies and we swallow them...

In fact, Disney is building a tower of terror behind the McDonald's down the street from my house now.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #97
Sweettears
50 years of Disney and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
Soarin is the kinda quick cloning that we should be adamantly against...

The answer is soarin DOESN'T fit in WDW...the fact that it is a film about California...built for California Adventure...makes it not fit.

But hey, they build copies and we swallow them...

In fact, Disney is building a tower of terror behind the McDonald's down the street from my house now.
I think that based on its initial popularity it made sense to clone it and bring it to WDW. However as a long term attraction, despite it's continued popularity, as has been discussed on the DIS for some time it needs to be updated at WDW. I think the same approach should, and will be taken, with Carsland at DHS. By the time the addition of CL would actually take place wevarevtalking at least a few years. However I am al in favor of adding an enhanced version of TT to DHS as some have described it. Many have complained about the need for an additional E attraction at DHS. What better than a proven hit with the guests.
Sweettears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:57 PM   #98
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweettears View Post
I think that based on its initial popularity it made sense to clone it and bring it to WDW.
YES, but CHANGE the MOVIE!!

Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
ChrisFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:33 AM   #99
DizCaptain
°o° Disney Enthusiast

I'll keep this short and sweet:
1. I hate the fact that so many rides are just becoming homogeneous clones.
2. I don't support the idea of bringing Cars Land to WDW, something that was tailored for CA and has in large been successful to the park.
3. Where the heck is the Monsters Inc. coaster?!

"Laughter is America's most important export." -Walt Disney

DizCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:12 AM   #100
Disneyfreak44
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizCaptain
2. I don't support the idea of bringing Cars Land to WDW, something that was tailored for CA and has in large been successful to the park.
Totally agree with you and I hope the monsters inc coaster comes soon
Most recent trip was to Walt Disney World we stayed at Caribbean beach and got to experience mymagic+ and the Magic Bands and it was awesome!
Disneyfreak44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:15 AM   #101
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweettears View Post
I think that based on its initial popularity it made sense to clone it and bring it to WDW. However as a long term attraction, despite it's continued popularity, as has been discussed on the DIS for some time it needs to be updated at WDW. I think the same approach should, and will be taken, with Carsland at DHS. By the time the addition of CL would actually take place wevarevtalking at least a few years. However I am al in favor of adding an enhanced version of TT to DHS as some have described it. Many have complained about the need for an additional E attraction at DHS. What better than a proven hit with the guests.
The difference, primarily, between Soarin and Cars Land is...cost.

It's like comparing grapes to watermelons.

As for timeline...a "few" years? I'd be shocked if they were working on Avatarland AND a significant expansion to DHS at the same time...You'd be talking about 1.1 BILLION in capital investments at WDW parks in a very short time....and marshalling resources for 2 separate, enormous projects. I'd be beyond shocked to see that.

Avatarland is supposed to start construction in 2013. Given what we've seen out of the Imagineers lately (the light up plant tech), I'd guess that schedule is probably still on. Opening in 2015 or 2016, I think.

So Carsland would start construction in 2016 or 2017. You'd have to figure completion by 2019-ish.

And all that ignores a fragile economy, questions about economic recovery (and it's speed), and a shrinking middle class in terms of % of total income. I'm not going to remotely make this political, but besides EVERYTHING else we've talked about...those are certainly factors Disney corporate considers. OH...and the fact Iger will no longer be CEO (which could either help or hinder "everything").

Last edited by pilferk; 08-31-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:06 AM   #102
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizCaptain
x2
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:50 AM   #103
johnGorski
Mouseketeer

About 6 months ago we are chattered about a carbon copy of cars land to DHS. This idea would be simple and cost less then a new attraction lands such as Avatar Land and FLE. So this theory makes sence with cars land comming to DHS.
johnGorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:08 AM   #104
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnGorski View Post
About 6 months ago we are chattered about a carbon copy of cars land to DHS. This idea would be simple and cost less then a new attraction lands such as Avatar Land and FLE. So this theory makes sence with cars land comming to DHS.
Just to point out:

Cars land reportedly cost 750 million to build.

FLE reportedly cost about 300 million to build.

Avatarland is budgeted, by their own press releases, at 400 million.

Last edited by pilferk; 08-31-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:09 AM   #105
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
x2
And squared.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: