Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #136
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
Most sources have World of Color's budget around $75 million.
Thats the number I have seen most frequently, too. I thought maybe I had missed something...

Just as I had seen 200 million for Racers.

There is roughly 175 million to cover "the rest" (between the estimates of 250 million and 75 million). More than enough, I think.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #137
SkaGoat
Mouseketeer

I would bet you wouldn't need a full $75 million to do a second World of Color. A lot of that cost will have been development costs which wouldn't have to be paid again.
SkaGoat is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2012, 05:32 AM   #138
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaGoat View Post
I would bet you wouldn't need a full $75 million to do a second World of Color. A lot of that cost will have been development costs which wouldn't have to be paid again.
World of Color wasn't part of Cars Land. It was separate (both in terms of location and in terms of budget costs).
Old 12-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #139
ChipnDale79
Mouseketeer

For those of you that were so sure Disney wasn't going to do this, do you still think that? And if so, why?
ChipnDale79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #140
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDale79 View Post
For those of you that were so sure Disney wasn't going to do this, do you still think that? And if so, why?
I'll reserve commentary until made official in some capacity. I will be very surprised if the investment and quality are equal to California Adventure. There are many areas in which corners could be cut.

And on a personal level, this is totally disheartening to me. There is no limit to the unique, amazing things Disney could bring to the parks with upward of a half billion dollars to spend.

LMA and Backlot Tour aren't the most compelling attractions but at least they are unique (to Disney's US parks.) I can only speak for one family--four people--but a carbon copy of something that was already done so well on the other side of the country does nothing to help earn more of our dollars. Gives DHS even less that's unique, and us even less reason to go.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #141
ADP
I'm a huggin' foolWon't some sweet mama come and take a chance with me

Keep in mind....The name "Cars Land" is just that....A land dedicated to the Cars movies. There's nothing to say it won't look and feel different than DCA with non-duplicated attractions.
ADP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #142
DizCaptain
°o° Disney Enthusiast

Yeah! Let's keep homogenizing everything and lowering the quality of food and merchandise to buy out large brands and rights for unaffiliated characters! Yeah! Woohoo!!!!

"Laughter is America's most important export." -Walt Disney

DizCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #143
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADP View Post
Keep in mind....The name "Cars Land" is just that....A land dedicated to the Cars movies. There's nothing to say it won't look and feel different than DCA with non-duplicated attractions.
Wish I could believe that will be the case.

But why spend $50 million on development when they can do it a lot cheaper with a Xerox machine.

Guess we'll know soon enough.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:59 AM   #144
ChipnDale79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Wish I could believe that will be the case.

But why spend $50 million on development when they can do it a lot cheaper with a Xerox machine.

Guess we'll know soon enough.
Because Disney knows most people don't go to both DLR and WDW. Let's face the fact and understand that the people on this board are not the normal Disney guest, we are the fanatics, we are all things Disney.

The typical WDW guest is the guest that goes to WDW one year, then someone else the next, they may come back in 2 or 3 years. The typical guest isnt going to buy a plane ticket and take off for the west coast simply because DLR has something that WDW doesn't.

I loved Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, but I'm not getting on a plane and taking my family of 4 to the west coast because DLR has it and WDW doesn't.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #145
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Because Disney knows most people don't go to both DLR and WDW.
Of course they won't. And the number one reason is because the attractions are almost identical. For you, there's little reason to go to DLR when all of the Moutains, Mansion, PotC, Tower of Terror, Soarin, Star Tours, Toy Story Mania, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Dumbo, MuppetVision and perhaps soon Cars Land are all more conveniently located at WDW.

Quote:
I loved Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, but I'm not getting on a plane and taking my family of 4 to the west coast because DLR has it and WDW doesn't.
No, Mr. Toad obviously isn't enough to sway decisions. But Mr. Toad plus 5 or 10 or 20 other unique experiences is enough to change attitudes.

I don't know where you live but judging by the "I'm not getting on a plane" comment, I assume it's within driving distance of WDW. Obviously the closer one lives to a park, the less likely they are to visit the other. Those who live in Florida, Georgia, the Carolinas and other close states will not visit Disneyland in great numbers. Similarly those living in parts of California, Nevada, etc won't make it to WDW often.

But that still leaves people in about 40 US states--not to mention the rest of the world--who can purchase plane tickets to EITHER WDW or DL.

I'm sure Disney has facts, figures, surveys and market studies to support whatever they do. If they want to bring Cars to Walt Disney World because of its appeal, merchandise sales, etc....fine. But make it unique. Considering the theme parks turned a profit of over a billion dollars last year, you would think they could afford to spend a bit on development.

And since these attractions are built to remain in place for decades to come, they have a long time to recoup those additional development dollars.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #146
ChipnDale79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I don't know where you live but judging by the "I'm not getting on a plane" comment, I assume it's within driving distance of WDW. Obviously the closer one lives to a park, the less likely they are to visit the other. Those who live in Florida, Georgia, the Carolinas and other close states will not visit Disneyland in great numbers. Similarly those living in parts of California, Nevada, etc won't make it to WDW often.
You're right, I do live within driving distance, I'm in Charlotte. From my driveway to WDW it's 7.5 hours. I still believe that most families up the entire east coast are more willing to get in a car and drive or fly to WDW, then fly out to the west coast to DLR.

For most families its more economical to drive 12-13 hours than it is to fly an entire family of 4 almost anywhere.

I don't have the stats to back that up, but I know when I go to WDW i see a ton of cars with plates from all over the North East.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #147
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
You're right, I do live within driving distance, I'm in Charlotte. From my driveway to WDW it's 7.5 hours. I still believe that most families up the entire east coast are more willing to get in a car and drive or fly to WDW, then fly out to the west coast to DLR.

For most families its more economical to drive 12-13 hours than it is to fly an entire family of 4 almost anywhere.
You're probably right. But again, that's still just a fraction of the US.

We live in Ohio and it's an 18 hour drive. I've made that drive a couple of times but we've flown far more often. People in Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, NY, NJ, New England states, Illinois and everywhere west of that are outside of your 12-13 hour comfort zone.

Some people will still make those long drives, but I'm sure the percentages get smaller as you go further north and west.

My point is simply that there are a lot of people who aren't already drivers, who could have relatively equal access to DL or WDW. Depending on where you live, it may cost a little more to visit one than the other. It may take more time to get there. But with the proper incentive, people will choose to visit the more distant, more expensive destination.

Cloning attractions removes that incentive entirely. It just seems short-sighted to me.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #148
ChipnDale79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
You're probably right. But again, that's still just a fraction of the US.

We live in Ohio and it's an 18 hour drive. I've made that drive a couple of times but we've flown far more often. People in Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, NY, NJ, New England states, Illinois and everywhere west of that are outside of your 12-13 hour comfort zone.

Some people will still make those long drives, but I'm sure the percentages get smaller as you go further north and west.

My point is simply that there are a lot of people who aren't already drivers, who could have relatively equal access to DL or WDW. Depending on where you live, it may cost a little more to visit one than the other. It may take more time to get there. But with the proper incentive, people will choose to visit the more distant, more expensive destination.

Cloning attractions removes that incentive entirely. It just seems short-sighted to me.
Outside of that 12-13 hours yes I agree, they are already flying, but there's very large amount of the US population within that 12-13 hours that aren't going to go to the West Coast simply because DCA has a Carsland and WDW doesn't.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #149
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Outside of that 12-13 hours yes I agree, they are already flying, but there's very large amount of the US population within that 12-13 hours that aren't going to go to the West Coast simply because DCA has a Carsland and WDW doesn't.
Today...right now...yes I agree.

However, if Disney were making a concerted effort to differentiate the two Resorts, there would be many reasons to visit both. Put it this way: If they copy Cars Land in FL, the percentage of people willing to visit both Resorts TODAY will only decrease. A cloned Cars Land gives people living in the East and Midwest one less reason to visit DL.

Speaking solely for myself, I like Disneyland better than WDW. Haven't been to DL as many times so I'm sure that is part of the reason. Even though DL requires a longer, often more expensive flight, given a choice I would go to DL over WDW.

Cloning Cars Land at DHS--while removing two of its unique attractions--does nothing to encourage me to spend more time & money at WDW. I'm sure the same is true of folks living west of the Mississippi.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #150
ChipnDale79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Today...right now...yes I agree.

However, if Disney were making a concerted effort to differentiate the two Resorts, there would be many reasons to visit both. Put it this way: If they copy Cars Land in FL, the percentage of people willing to visit both Resorts TODAY will only decrease. A cloned Cars Land gives people living in the East and Midwest one less reason to visit DL.

Speaking solely for myself, I like Disneyland better than WDW. Haven't been to DL as many times so I'm sure that is part of the reason. Even though DL requires a longer, often more expensive flight, given a choice I would go to DL over WDW.

Cloning Cars Land at DHS--while removing two of its unique attractions--does nothing to encourage me to spend more time & money at WDW. I'm sure the same is true of folks living west of the Mississippi.
But why rob Peter to pay Paul?

By making them "unique", Disney would not only be competing with Universal, Sea world, and every other theme park in the country, but they would also be competing with themselves. To me history proves that Disney can support and make a massive profit with 2 resorts on both sides of the country. By bringing a lot of the same attractions to each park, it reduces the cost for disney and allows them to do more with their money. That's good for the guest.

Remember, there's already a big difference between the resorts to begin with.

Regarding your comment about it doesnt encourage you to spend more. Maybe it doesnt, but Disney can't let DHS sit like it is and get stale, they have to compete with Universal and keep their guest on property longer and keep them from going to Universal and WWOHP.

It does entice my family of 4. We have 2 young boys, while the new fanastyland is still very princess heavy, this is a big deal for my family, its more stuff for our boys to do.

Last edited by ChipnDale79; 12-06-2012 at 09:35 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: