Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
YesDear
Admired by the Tag Fairy for such a brilliant user name!Looks more like Sully, acts more like Stitch

I was curious so I wrote her.. She called back!!!

Since several of on this board and others have had issues off and on with castmembers and Disney security both at WDW and Disneyland, I decided to write Meg Crofton who is head of Disney parks and resorts and ask her did Disney have an official position about people who walk around with cool looking camera stuff!!! Just kidding on the cool stuff.

I told her my family and I were only mild Disney fanatics and that I was blessed to own some nice camera equipment. My family was going to WDW for a week in September and I wanted to bring my cool camera stuff and not be hassled. The only think I could not agree to was not to take Johnny Dep's picture if I sawing him at Disneyland. I told her it was a promised I had made to my wife. I did tell her I would not chase him.

Well much to my surprise, I got two calls about my letter. They both were from a nice assistant to Meg to let me know that my letter was received and she was checking into it and would call me back.

She called me today on my cell. She got the number from my wife. She knew we were DVC members and tracked me down.

She said she spoke the Director of Security for WDW and they said they had no official policy for photographers. He said if you are a member of the media you are required to check in with them. He also said that the security officers were told to check on any situation they thought was out of the norm. He did say that use of a tripod may create attention other than as something like Wishes etc because it can create a tripping hazard for those that do not see them. His suggestion was that if you are approached by security let them know what you are doing. He did say that ID was always a plus. I expressed to her that I knew some saw asking for ID as an invasion of privacy. I had asked her if there was a way I could pre let someone know I was not a terrorist. She said that with the number of us with cameras, it would be impossible to do.

She told me if I ran into any problem while I was there in September to let her know since I have her number.

I was extremely impressed that I actually heard from someone and that she actually took the time do the research.

It will be interesting if I get any problems carrying a larger camera with me.

Just thought some would be interested what I found out.

"Also cute and fluffy" Stitch
YesDear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
WDWFigment
Owner of Disney Tourist Blog

I'm actually surprised that you heard from her, very cool.

Personally, I think the less management knows about the strife between security and photographers, the better. I honestly can't see there being a paradigm shift that favors photographers in any way.

Rather, I see it more likely that management fixates on the potential liability issues posed by tripods and other equipment, and goes the Tokyo Disney Resort route and bans them outright.

Follow me: Twitter - Instagram - Facebook - Pinterest
WDWFigment is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

I have been going to WDW on a semi-regular basis since 1987. I have carried everything from a P & S to a whole bag full of equipment. In that time, I have never had an issue with any security or castmember concerning photography. My experience, in fact, has been that they have been very helpful to the point of recommending locations and assisting me for the best positions for parades. Going through security has been a breeze, I just unzip the bag and they have even helped me put things back together! During my late visits, I usually strike up a conversation with any castmember or security around and tell them to throw me out when they want to go home. They usually start laughing and allow me to do pretty much what I want. If I want to do something strange, I ask. They have always been very helpful. I think many of them must be closet photographers! I wouldn't worry too much about Disney personnel, but rather other guests and their children. IMO some parents go brain dead and allow their children to supervise themselves. I've almost lost my camera more than once because of an unsupervised child. Don't get me wrong I am the parent of four and grandfather of one, so I'm not anti-child, just anti-unresponsible parents! Just have fun and enjoy the photo opportunities.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
ukcatfan
DIS Veteran

Just my opinion, but I think anyone over 18 should have to present identification to authorities when asked. We live in a civilized society and in order for it to remain one, sometimes you have to deal with mild inconveniences.
ukcatfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:52 AM   #5
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

The issues I've heard of people having with Disney security regarding photography are really minor compared to what I've experienced shooting in other places. I've been asked by police about what I was doing on more than one occasion and told to move along many of those times. I've come to accept that you need to show ID when asked. That's just how it is in today's society. If you refuse authorities assume you're hiding something because in this day and age they can't afford not to. I also show my student ID, it's like a get out of jail free card that has helped me out more than once... like when I was shooting a panorama in the Kroger parking lot at 2AM or when I was at a road construction site to photograph the big machines.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
SplashMo
DIS Veteran

I have seen someone asked to not bring a pro video camera on Pirates... It was a low end pro camera. Very big though...
Old 08-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #7
ChiSoxKeith
DIS Veteran

Congratulations on getting a response!
You would think the 60+ minutes I put into running the weekly photo contests would allow me to put a link in my signature letting people know about the Disney related iPhone projects I work on. You would be wrong.
ChiSoxKeith is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: