Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #676
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,498

Good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ View Post
Yay, just booked my final flight. LAX to MCO with Virgin America.

I was about to book Main Cabin (economy) when I noticed Main Cabin Select (premium economy) wasn't too much more expensive ($150 p/p extra). Once you factor in the extra cost of luggage, meals, drinks and entertainment that you need to pay with main cabin (but not main cabin select) I figured that the difference was actually only about $80 p/p more for better seats and priority boarding and check-in. That and the fact that we can order as many drinks, food and movies without having to feel guilty about our spending.

I was really excited when I ran this option past DH and he said "Just book it".

Anyway, thought I'd mention this in case anyone is looking for a more reasonably priced premium economy option.
We also are tossing up between virgin america main cabin select @ $329 pp/one way or delta first class $500 pp/one way....the difference is the extra bags @ $25 per bag on VAmer..you are allowed one bag then $25 after that..we take 2 each....so thats $100 extra in bag fees....so thats around $710 pp Virgin or $1000 pp delta....and the fact that delta have non-stop red eyes...leaving at 11.30pm from lax rather than losing a whole day with virgin Lax dep 8 am ..may tip the scale in delta's favor this time...also getting around 8000 delta miles doesn't hurt either ...but things change so nothing is set in concrete till it is
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #677
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran
 
WanderlustNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,476

Quote:
Originally Posted by australiankaren

We also are tossing up between virgin america main cabin select @ $329 pp/one way or delta first class $500 pp/one way....the difference is the extra bags @ $25 per bag on VAmer..you are allowed one bag then $25 after that..we take 2 each....so thats $100 extra in bag fees....so thats around $710 pp Virgin or $1000 pp delta....and the fact that delta have non-stop red eyes...leaving at 11.30pm from lax rather than losing a whole day with virgin Lax dep 8 am ..may tip the scale in delta's favor this time...also getting around 8000 delta miles doesn't hurt either ...but things change so nothing is set in concrete till it is
Tough choice, but I can see why in your case you'd be tending towards Delta. $500 for first class sounds like a really good deal.

We will only have one bag each going to Orlando, but will probably buy one extra suitcase in Orlando to bring home our shopping.

I think we will definitely need the overnight in LAX to recover from the Air NZ flight. There's no way any of my family (particularly my 5 year old) could cope with an overnight from Auckland, followed by an overnight from LA, followed by a day trying to keep busy while we wait for check-in for our hotel. None of us sleep well on planes, so it would mean about 48hrs without proper sleep. It would set us up poorly for the rest of our holiday. So I think the overnight in LA is an unfortunate necessity for my family.

I'm a bit gutted I'm flying back to LAX on AA. The price was cheap, and the time of the flight was good (Virgin's return times just didn't work for us), but AA looks like such a dull airline with pretty much no perks whatsoever. A means to an ends and that's it. On the plus side, I will be able to use that 5 hours with nothing better to do, to write heaps of my TR.
__________________
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #678
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,498

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ View Post
Tough choice, but I can see why in your case you'd be tending towards Delta. $500 for first class sounds like a really good deal.

We will only have one bag each going to Orlando, but will probably buy one extra suitcase in Orlando to bring home our shopping.

I think we will definitely need the overnight in LAX to recover from the Air NZ flight. There's no way any of my family (particularly my 5 year old) could cope with an overnight from Auckland, followed by an overnight from LA, followed by a day trying to keep busy while we wait for check-in for our hotel. None of us sleep well on planes, so it would mean about 48hrs without proper sleep. It would set us up poorly for the rest of our holiday. So I think the overnight in LA is an unfortunate necessity for my family.

I'm a bit gutted I'm flying back to LAX on AA. The price was cheap, and the time of the flight was good (Virgin's return times just didn't work for us), but AA looks like such a dull airline with pretty much no perks whatsoever. A means to an ends and that's it. On the plus side, I will be able to use that 5 hours with nothing better to do, to write heaps of my TR.
dont forget you can get gogo internet for the flight....and good move breaking up the trip, nothing worse than dragging an unhappy/ exhausted family thru the airport...
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #679
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran
 
WanderlustNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,476

Quote:
Originally Posted by australiankaren

dont forget you can get gogo internet for the flight....and good move breaking up the trip, nothing worse than dragging an unhappy/ exhausted family thru the airport...
I noticed that most domestic US airlines have internet. Will be a first for me to able to send an email from the air. :-)
__________________
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:43 AM   #680
Royal Consort
And I thought a Park Hopper was just a Kangaroo in a native reserve.
 
Royal Consort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ

I noticed that most domestic US airlines have internet. Will be a first for me to able to send an email from the air. :-)
I've been sending airmail for yeeeaars
__________________
Royal Consort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #681
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran
 
WanderlustNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,476

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Consort

I've been sending airmail for yeeeaars
I realise that I'm a bit behind the mark with this service. But a young child and mortgage have kept me closer to home the last half decade. If the pacific and trans-tasman flights I have taken have had internet, I've been a bit too busy entertaining my young son to notice or care.
__________________
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #682
Royal Consort
And I thought a Park Hopper was just a Kangaroo in a native reserve.
 
Royal Consort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ

I realise that I'm a bit behind the mark with this service. But a young child and mortgage have kept me closer to home the last half decade. If the pacific and trans-tasman flights I have taken have had internet, I've been a bit too busy entertaining my young son to notice or care.
I was joking. You know, popping an airmail sticker on a letter hence airmail. :D
__________________
Royal Consort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:27 PM   #683
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran
 
WanderlustNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,476

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Consort

I was joking. You know, popping an airmail sticker on a letter hence airmail. :D
Ooops, sorry. I'm not always good at picking up people's online jokes. :
__________________
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:10 AM   #684
Royal Consort
And I thought a Park Hopper was just a Kangaroo in a native reserve.
 
Royal Consort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 492

I'm not very good at making them!
__________________
Royal Consort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:22 AM   #685
5ofus
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 942

Stuff's happening! Only a few more weeks until I find out if I can get my VGC studio! Exciting stuff

Still waiting for my friend to get back to me with hotel booking details for Vegas and once that's firmed up I'll book the car hire and Disneyland Express back to the airport
__________________
Me and He , DS1 , DS2 and DS3 makes our family complete

5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #686
Lewdannie
Mouseketeer
 
Lewdannie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: BrisVegas, Australia
Posts: 190

Omg

omg

o.m.g !!!
Lewdannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #687
sarefromoz
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewdannie View Post
Omg

omg

o.m.g !!!
What??? Sounds exciting.

Happy Australia Day everyone!!!

Nothing much holiday wise happening here...well except for me being totally anal and booking accommodation for the only night that we had planned to wing it. I decided that we'd stay in Barstow for the night on the drive between the Grand Canyon and San Diego. That means we'll have an almost 6hr drive on the 1st day and almost 3hrs on the second. I'm dreading it because my girls fight and bicker in the 5 minute drive to school, so we tend to avoid long trips with them. One thing's for sure I'll be taking their iPods and plenty of books to keep them entertained on this leg of the trip. Oh and I'veorganised our ESTAs too. That travel folder of mine just keeps on getting thicker and thicker

So I guess the next step is car hire and tickets need to be organised for Disneyland, legoland, Seaworld and the San Diego zoo. If you have any tips on the least expensive to book all of these, I'd love to hear it. I was thinking a San Diego go card.
sarefromoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #688
sarefromoz
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ofus View Post
Stuff's happening! Only a few more weeks until I find out if I can get my VGC studio! Exciting stuff

Still waiting for my friend to get back to me with hotel booking details for Vegas and once that's firmed up I'll book the car hire and Disneyland Express back to the airport
Ok does the omg have to do with the vgc studio? Because I have no idea what it is. What does vgc stand for?
sarefromoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #689
Jade+3
DIS Veteran
 
Jade+3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewdannie View Post
Omg

omg

o.m.g !!!
Qantas sale??
__________________
Disneyland - March 1997, May 2004, November 2007, November 2009, September 2013.
WDW - April 1997, October 2009, September 2011, September 2013.
Disney Wonder - November 2009
Carnival Imagination - September 2011
Freedom of the Seas - September 2013
Jade+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #690
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end
 
PrincessInOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 89,983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewdannie View Post
Omg

omg

o.m.g !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade+3 View Post
Qantas sale??
It definitely is about the Qantas sale for me.

My flights to the US are booked.
__________________

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.