Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 05:44 AM   #556
5ofus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia1506
if you sign up to the hojo's newsletter/special deals notification, you should be sent a link to their fb page, if you 'like' them, there is a january promotion where every day, a new deal is announced and is only valid for that day only, and you redeem it at the time you make your booking... eg today's deal is 50% off a single transaction at their marketplace - considering their marketplace sells groceries, alcohol, sundries and disney merchandise and souvenirs, if you buy everything you need in 1 transaction, 50% off could be a pretty nice saving, lol.

just another way to get a discounted hojo room. they also offer discounts of up to 50% off room rates throughout the year, so signing up to their email/newsletter notification thingy (brain dead much? lol) may be useful...
Thanks for this Alicia! I hope there s a good room discount one in the next couple of days

5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #557
5ofus
DIS Veteran

I can't stop thinking about our trip! I imagine the kids faces hen they find out we are going to Disneyland, seeing them on some of the rides, meeting Mickey, going into Carsland... It's going to be awesome. Meanwhile with this stupid sinus infection my head feels ready to explode .

5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #558
jessiegirl84
Mouseketeer

Thankyou thankyou for letting us know about the airnz sale!! If we leaving a couple of days earlier its $500 cheaper!
We have now done the ring around to tell our guests about thr special so hopefully they decide to buy as i dont think it will get much cheaper as its school holidays
Im so happy $1550 is pretty good for return to LA during the time only wish the wedding was early september so we could have got the $1100 return but i guess $400 more is not that bad.

Jess & Dave - 2 Aussies engaged and married in the most magical place on earth!
jessiegirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:50 PM   #559
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

I've just been having a play around with the new WDW website and having a grand old time.

I know there's been a lot of buzz recently on the resort forum about how awful the new site is, but I've gotta say, as someone who's still quite a long way away from her holiday, I LOVE it.

It was exciting being able to see both of my DVC Rental bookings (it lists them more accurately than the old website did and now includes my ME booking) and it puts them into a fun layout where I can go into each day and add the parks (and, closer to the time, restaurants) I want to visit. Sort of like a daily planner.

I was able to update the details of my traveling party (including my son's birthday) and I was able to give us each a Disney Avatar. My son picked Lightening McQueen, my DH, with reluctance to play along, picked Mr Incredible and I picked Russell from Up (my favourite Disney movie). My DS thought that was hilarious "But he's a boy and you're a lady!".
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:52 AM   #560
Jade+3
DIS Veteran

Thanks to Kristin5 for mentioning the direct Air NZ AKL-SFO flight!! We are now going to fly to San Francisco, stay 2 nights, go to Yosemite, then to LA before heading to Florida. Yay!!!

DH was watching something on TV last night about the Golden Gate Bridge and wanted to know if we were going back to San Francisco. This is his 5th trip and the first time he has ever actually wanted to do something. Personally I would rather be going to NYC, but am excited to be going to Yosemite. I have already booked Yosemite Lodge.

Still have not booked the flights. We can only get the cheaper fare on the first flight. I have realised the date we are coming home is the last weekend of NZ school holidays so probably why that flight is full price. I find airfares stressful, the waiting and the gamble.
Carnival Imagination - September 2011
Freedom of the Seas - September 2013
Jade+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:03 AM   #561
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade+3 View Post
Thanks to Kristin5 for mentioning the direct Air NZ AKL-SFO flight!! We are now going to fly to San Francisco, stay 2 nights, go to Yosemite, then to LA before heading to Florida. Yay!!!

DH was watching something on TV last night about the Golden Gate Bridge and wanted to know if we were going back to San Francisco. This is his 5th trip and the first time he has ever actually wanted to do something. Personally I would rather be going to NYC, but am excited to be going to Yosemite. I have already booked Yosemite Lodge.

Still have not booked the flights. We can only get the cheaper fare on the first flight. I have realised the date we are coming home is the last weekend of NZ school holidays so probably why that flight is full price. I find airfares stressful, the waiting and the gamble.
Congrats Jade! Sounds like your plans are taking shape.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:07 AM   #562
Jade+3
DIS Veteran

Thanks PIO. May need your expert advice on a whirlwind trip to SanFrancisco.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:08 AM   #563
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Thanks PIO. May need your expert advice on a whirlwind trip to SanFrancisco.
Happy to help....but I do tend to do off-the-beaten track a little these days.

Where are you staying?

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:15 AM   #564
Kristin5
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I know, waiting for flight discounts is terrible. And I am not a risk-taker by nature (hence the first sale I saw, I grabbed it!). I wish I could be one of those chilled people who waits it out until only a few weeks before, but with my luck, the prices would be even worse, rather than spectacularly cheap! It is much easier to sleep at night once airfares have been booked though (yes, I'm a stress head!)!

Is it an option to fly over with Air NZ, to take advantage of the direct to SFO flight (albeit with a stopover in Auckland), but then get a cheaper return flight with Virgin? I know a couple of weeks ago they had return flights from LA to Melbourne (via Sydney or Brisbane) for $780. That will also allow you extra baggage for the return flight!

Disney World - Dec 2015
Kristin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:19 AM   #565
Jade+3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Happy to help....but I do tend to do off-the-beaten track a little these days.

Where are you staying?
Don't know. We are only staying 2 nights, the first is our arrival day so we will be buggered.

I was thinking Fishermans Wharf for convenience but so expensive. Will have to research that some more. Beauty about travelling with family is I can off load a child to their room so no searching for hotels for 5.

DH and I have been before but the in-laws have not. They want to see the bridge, visit Alcatraz and ride the cable cars. I want to eat at Bubba Gump as this may be the only one we come across. On day 3 we will be up early to get the hire car and hope to be at Yosemite around lunch time.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #566
Jade+3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin5 View Post
I know, waiting for flight discounts is terrible. And I am not a risk-taker by nature (hence the first sale I saw, I grabbed it!). I wish I could be one of those chilled people who waits it out until only a few weeks before, but with my luck, the prices would be even worse, rather than spectacularly cheap! It is much easier to sleep at night once airfares have been booked though (yes, I'm a stress head!)!

Is it an option to fly over with Air NZ, to take advantage of the direct to SFO flight (albeit with a stopover in Auckland), but then get a cheaper return flight with Virgin? I know a couple of weeks ago they had return flights from LA to Melbourne (via Sydney or Brisbane) for $780. That will also allow you extra baggage for the return flight!
I am a stress head too, and I am thinking exactly the same thoughts. I have exited out of the booking screen so many times this weekend. The AIR NZ one way fare is $1357. Good thinking though. I know I should wait to see what Virgin and Qantas offer, but as we are leaving a few days before school holidays I may be pushing my luck.

DH is telling me to book it. The in-laws are saying book it. It is cheaper than we paid in school holidays in 2011. I really should just do it, especially as we need 7 seats.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:38 AM   #567
Kristin5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I am a stress head too, and I am thinking exactly the same thoughts. I have exited out of the booking screen so many times this weekend. The AIR NZ one way fare is $1357. Good thinking though. I know I should wait to see what Virgin and Qantas offer, but as we are leaving a few days before school holidays I may be pushing my luck.

DH is telling me to book it. The in-laws are saying book it. It is cheaper than we paid in school holidays in 2011. I really should just do it, especially as we need 7 seats.
Is that the one way fare for the Air NZ return flight? Seems steep, but the same as what Virgin is quoting at the moment. ETA I just checked Virgin fares for LAX to Melbourne and it is back down to $1200. That'll probably come down more, if you have the patience to wait (as i said, it was lower, briefly, over Christmas).

But if it is already cheaper than what you paid last time, then go for it now! (We also went in school holidays in 2011, and I think our airfares this time are around the same price - would've been great to get them even cheaper!) Especially if you need 7 seats - when I did the seat selection, some of the flights were filling up pretty quickly - and you also don't want to be stuck with long stopovers.

So, for peace of mind, it is better to book now too, but then don't check prices afterwards!!!

Disney World - Dec 2015

Last edited by Kristin5; 01-06-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #568
Jade+3
DIS Veteran

All done! I sort of have a sense of relief, but I must cancel my Kayak fare alert.

Not a fan of the seat selection process. I made 2 booking, one for the 5 of us, and the other for the in-laws. For the IL's I could pick individual seats or a block, but for us I had to pick a block and it was very random how the blocks were selected. I managed to get 3 in front and 2 behind. I actually prefer 5 straight across. Will have to call and see if it can be changed. Should not complain, at least Air NZ dont charge for seat selection so that saved a few hundred dollars.

I was surprised at how full the flights are.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #569
Kristin5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
All done! I sort of have a sense of relief, but I must cancel my Kayak fare alert.

Not a fan of the seat selection process. I made 2 booking, one for the 5 of us, and the other for the in-laws. For the IL's I could pick individual seats or a block, but for us I had to pick a block and it was very random how the blocks were selected. I managed to get 3 in front and 2 behind. I actually prefer 5 straight across. Will have to call and see if it can be changed. Should not complain, at least Air NZ dont charge for seat selection so that saved a few hundred dollars.

I was surprised at how full the flights are.
Yay! Congrats!

I did two bookings, each for 3 people, and i think when I did the seat selections I could only do blocks of 3 too. It worked out well for us, but I can see it wouldn't be as convenient for you guys, with 3 kids.

My problem with the seating is that I did our booking, but then when I did it for my friend, she wanted to pay by bank transfer so i went through the seat selection process, only to find I couldn't do such a transaction on my ipad. So then did it all again on my pc, and of course couldn't get the same seats, as the system saw them as being already reserved, so my friend is now 2 rows behind us instead of directly behind us (she'll probably be thankful for that though - she will be further away from my DS now, who would've probably annoyed her and her teenage kids the whole trip otherwise! Lol)

Are there many seats left now? I wonder if not all have been released yet perhaps?

Disney World - Dec 2015
Old 01-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #570
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin5

Yay! Congrats!

I did two bookings, each for 3 people, and i think when I did the seat selections I could only do blocks of 3 too. It worked out well for us, but I can see it wouldn't be as convenient for you guys, with 3 kids.

My problem with the seating is that I did our booking, but then when I did it for my friend, she wanted to pay by bank transfer so i went through the seat selection process, only to find I couldn't do such a transaction on my ipad. So then did it all again on my pc, and of course couldn't get the same seats, as the system saw them as being already reserved, so my friend is now 2 rows behind us instead of directly behind us (she'll probably be thankful for that though - she will be further away from my DS now, who would've probably annoyed her and her teenage kids the whole trip otherwise! Lol)

Are there many seats left now? I wonder if not all have been released yet perhaps?
I booked my Sep/Oct flights the week they were released and even then my seating options were limited. Air NZ had blocked off all the skycouches (hadn't paid for one of those) as well as all the middle aisles between the skycouches (incase people book skycouch plus seat). After eliminating the seats I had to pay more for (exit row, front of plane etc), I felt like my options were pretty slim.

Was quite annoyed actually. Booking early used to ensure I got good seats. But now Air NZ has gone down the money hungry route of trying to get extra $ for certain seats, I felt like the ones I ended up with are no better than had I booked last minute.

So anyway, I wouldn't assume the planes are that full just yet. I just think the seat picking process has less options.

Have you tried going back into the system to move your friends? The hold on those seats would now be released and they might still be empty.
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: