Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 05:24 AM   #376
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

i would also love to stay at Beach Club. it just seems so lovely

i have to wait for the sales re airfares, as i have a very strict budget set by my sister (who is saving for a deposit on her house), carlo's brother (who thought $5k pp for the trip was expensive. when i explained that airfares (on sale) were $1200 of that, he almost had a heart attack) and by the fact that we have to save up double the amount in a short space of time... if a sale was on today, i'd jump on it, but alas those promo fares usually don't get released until the march/april/may mark for our september/oct dates

right now flights for our dates are sitting around 1200 each way bne - lax, so 2400 return not including the usa domestic flights, which are sitting around $480 pp return... and that is just for regular ol' sardine tin economy

me (alicia): dbf (carlo):
2011 vacation - Of Mice, and Wizards and Pirates, oh my!

2013 trip - 3 castles and a Disney boat - a work in progress
alicia1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #377
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia1506

i have to wait for the sales re airfares, as i have a very strict budget set by my sister (who is saving for a deposit on her house), carlo's brother (who thought $5k pp for the trip was expensive. when i explained that airfares (on sale) were $1200 of that, he almost had a heart attack) and by the fact that we have to save up double the amount in a short space of time... if a sale was on today, i'd jump on it, but alas those promo fares usually don't get released until the march/april/may mark for our september/oct dates

right now flights for our dates are sitting around 1200 each way bne - lax, so 2400 return not including the usa domestic flights, which are sitting around $480 pp return... and that is just for regular ol' sardine tin economy
It's certainly hard trying to explain the cost of travel to people who haven't done any research of their own. I think if you can do the trip for 5k each you're doing well.

I'm assuming your quoting Australian dollars? In which case 2400 return is horrendous. I paid approx AU$1500 per adult. While the AKL - LAX flight might go on special, I think the LAX - AKL flight will only continue to increase in price due to being in school holidays. I'm thinking that IF and when a saving does come up for my flights it'll be fairly minimal. At least that's what I'm hoping.

The MCO to LAX flight I just booked was $NZ 215 p/p (AU$170). I thought that was pretty good. Plus the timing of the flight was perfect for our needs. Another good thing was that American Airlines quoted me in NZ dollars, so I didn't pay any conversion fees on the credit card. Was really happy about that. Although we still have to pay for luggage which will be another US $25 each.

I'm waiting for Virgin America to release their LAX - MCO flights as I'm expecting them to cost about the same. Only they look like a much nice airline than AA which admittedly looks like a big flying bus.

Off topic, I got my Amazon order yesterday. I only ordered it last Friday, so was impressed by the speed of service. Anyway, will need to begin my Harry Potter extravaganza this weekend. I hope I love them as I have a whole 8 movies to get through :-)
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #378
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

The prices i am quoting are in aud for international and usd for us domestic.

We usually fly southwest for the cheap fares but decided to go delta this time around as a. I can earn velocity points with them, b. They depart from the same termunal at lax that vaustralia fly into (less hassle for connecting flights) and c. They have direct flights at the times i need them to work in with the rest of our itinerary. too bad their prices are approx 480 pp return for the lax - mco - lax leg of our trip. As long as they dont screw around with flight times and delays, i will be perfectly happy

Enjoy your hp movie watching

Old 11-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #379
5ofus
DIS Veteran

Quote:

So it's usually March for the specials? For some reason I was thinking January for some reason. Now I'll have to wait an extra few months

5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #380
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

Still hunting the airfares..........sept wont be released till mid dec jan i think....so just patiently waiting.

Have decided to stay 8 nits boardwalk 1 bedroom.......using our dvc ppoints....havent stayed there before so whould be good...
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #381
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

ooh, boardwalk. very nice

that would be my first choice, i think, then beach club, then BLT. so many good hotels, too little $$

i think i will have to wait as it will take a while for the others coming on the trip to get their money to me...

karen, you've flown delta before for the lax-mco leg as i recall... were they good? any issues? they are at the top of my list for domestic us carriers at the moment... mostly due to the above velocity points/same terminal reasons... paying extra for luggage though is a bit i'm going to have to get used to

Old 11-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #382
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The prices i am quoting are in aud for international and usd for us domestic.

We usually fly southwest for the cheap fares but decided to go delta this time around as a. I can earn velocity points with them, b. They depart from the same termunal at lax that vaustralia fly into (less hassle for connecting flights) and c. They have direct flights at the times i need them to work in with the rest of our itinerary. too bad their prices are approx 480 pp return for the lax - mco - lax leg of our trip. As long as they dont screw around with flight times and delays, i will be perfectly happy

Enjoy your hp movie watching
Delta look good and I did consider them for a while. I like that Delta (just like AA) have many flights per day. That way I figure if worse case scenario one flight is cancelled or I can't get on it for some reason, there will be another one an hour or two later to get on instead.

I think that at the end of the day, price, time and convenience win out over how flash the planes are - hence our reason for booking AA. But 5 hours with no seat back entertainment will be pretty stink.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #383
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia1506 View Post
ooh, boardwalk. very nice

that would be my first choice, i think, then beach club, then BLT. so many good hotels, too little $$

i think i will have to wait as it will take a while for the others coming on the trip to get their money to me...

karen, you've flown delta before for the lax-mco leg as i recall... were they good? any issues? they are at the top of my list for domestic us carriers at the moment... mostly due to the above velocity points/same terminal reasons... paying extra for luggage though is a bit i'm going to have to get used to
I do like delta, and this coming trip we will be travelling economy comfort syd-lax..thus saving the 4k from PE ANZ kissy kissy.....

we also will be connecting lax-mco 10am 5 hour non stop flight...splurging for first class...see if you can get the economy comfort seats, they are about $40 extra per leg per person, but for an extra 6 inch leg room, priority boarding its worth the $$$$
Old 11-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #384
cola
Mouseketeer

I have fond memories of the United website, when they had a proper Australian website, and they had a special of $940AU return to ANYWHERE in US, with an additional $30 for a stop over, admittedly I seem to remember that being available in August and I did a very very short notice early Nov holiday that year (booked air tickets 5 weeks beforehand), it was all very last minute, very unplanned, very enjoyable my share of the accom for the 17 days came to about $500, food was cheap, so it was a very cheap trip - the wonders of timeshares!!!!! Stayed Marriott all the way, very swish Much much much cheaper than going on holiday in Australia.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #385
australiankaren

My dh has a friend ... Cost him $3000 just for a week in the Gold Coast for family of 4 ......crazy prices
Old 11-30-2012, 03:07 AM   #386
Jade+3
DIS Veteran

We have had a date change, thanks to DD's dance schedule.

Now leaving around Sep 16, changed the cruise to Eastern departing Sep 22 (I think we are still with you Karen), then WDW (POR) Sep 29 to approx Oct 10. I am a bot concerned about airfares travelling so close to the school holidays, and also about free dining as the past couple of years I think Sep 29 was the last date.
Carnival Imagination - September 2011
Freedom of the Seas - September 2013
Jade+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:13 AM   #387
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade+3 View Post

Now leaving around Sep 16, changed the cruise to Eastern departing Sep 22 (I think we are still with you Karen), then WDW (POR) Sep 29 to approx Oct 10. I am a bot concerned about airfares travelling so close to the school holidays, and also about free dining as the past couple of years I think Sep 29 was the last date.
Our dates at WDW overlap. Maybe you could come and join some of the DisMeets with the DisGamers.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #388
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade+3

Hi Jade,

Our dates are near identical. We will be at WDW from the 28th - 9th. I'm also hoping I'll fit into the free dining period. Assuming of course it will be offered. The feeling amongst a lot of Dis members is that it will be replaced with the Play, Stay, Dine and Save Promotion that is being offered at present. Apparently it's the first time in years free dining hasn't been offered at this time for January.
Will annoy me if that's the case, given that UK and European residents can get free dining for the whole year.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #389
australiankaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade+3 View Post

yep our cruises are 15th & 22nd...so your stuck with us

we will fly out sept 7 and possibly flyout on 1 or 2 oct..still tossing up return dates....

school hols start 21st, so you may just get lucky re fares....
Old 12-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #390
australiankaren

oh god my dh is killing me

so chatting re flights for next year...i had chatted to dh re cost and flying delta economy and he aggreed...now he says no way..its ANZ or nothing...so thats another 4K i need to find if i want to go on hols......or maybe he can go anz and I'll go delta...$1200 for me $3200 for him......would saving $2000 be worth the stress????

i am so confused now..........

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: