Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
Adub
Earning My Ears

LAX to Orlando connecting flights

Planning the last details to my mid October trip to Disneyworld (first time) and Disneyland (7th time)...

Flying in on QF93 which is due to arrive at LAX at 6:45am - then flying Virgin America from LAX to Orlando at 8:45.

Am I cutting it fine with a 2 hour timeframe?
Adub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
cola
Mouseketeer

yes, you are cutting it fine.

Sometimes people can get through quickly, but just as often if can take forever. Do you have to change terminals? That adds lots too going through LAX security takes forever.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
ssour
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adub View Post
Planning the last details to my mid October trip to Disneyworld (first time) and Disneyland (7th time)...

Flying in on QF93 which is due to arrive at LAX at 6:45am - then flying Virgin America from LAX to Orlando at 8:45.

Am I cutting it fine with a 2 hour timeframe?
We did QF to United in May but with almost 3 hours (reduced to just over 2 and a half with a delay in Sydney). Since Virgin and Qantas do not code share you will have to switch terminals and check in for your Virgin flight. Our luggage took 50 mins to get off the A380 (after we made it through immigration) and we had to run to the transfer point and our connecting flight. We were the second last on the plane and were being paged. Long story short, definitely cutting it too fine in my opinion.
ssour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
baf65
Mouseketeer

if you are on separate tickets, 2hours is a risk as if your QF flight is late and you miss your connection the airlines wont help you out
personally id book a later connection
if all one the one booking and thats the connection the airlines give you then thats another story!
baf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
ssour
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baf65 View Post
if you are on separate tickets, 2hours is a risk as if your QF flight is late and you miss your connection the airlines wont help you out
personally id book a later connection
if all one the one booking and thats the connection the airlines give you then thats another story!
Ours was all on the same ticket, but having to check in for the connecting flight is where the time gets tight. Your bags are checked in the whole way through (although you have to collect them and take them to the transfer area), but you can't be (unless you're flying AA). Even if they'll help you find another flight, it is so much of a hassle I'd do my best to avoid it, especially with so few direct flights. You could find yourself on an overnight flight. If you can get an American Airlines connecting flight you'd have a much better chance of making it.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:13 AM   #6
kylieh
DIS Veteran

I'm another in the "that's a little too fine" category," esp when on different tickets. Try for at least 3 hours. Immigration can be an hour easily, plus then security.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
marvel
DIS Veteran

its not worth the risk if you weigh up what would happen if you miss the flight. you dont need that stress.
marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:44 AM   #8
Travel Mum
DIS Veteran

We had two hours connection on a Through-ticket to Orlando and our QF flight got into LAX late giving us just over an hour to connect. We were let off the plane first and given priority passes through immigration/customs. It was still so rushed and stressful but we made it. If we had not have been on through-tickets we would not have been helped so there is no way I'd risk two hours on separate tickets.
Disneyland - May 1996
Disneyland - March 1995 - for our 1st wedding anniversary celebration trip
Disneyland lots of times 78-80, 82-86 and 92-93 when I lived in L.A.
Travel Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:04 AM   #9
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Two hours isn't long enough to do it comfortably. If you have to change terminals and check into your domestic flight, two hours is cutting it fine.

Last trip, we flew in on Delta and flew out with Delta so we didn't change terminals. We flew in at 6:30am. We didn't get out of customs and upstairs until 8:15am. Our flight wasn't until 10:30am so we had plenty of time. But we didn't need to recheck in, change terminals or go through security again.

Try flying out on Delta, their direct flights leave for Orlando between 10am -10:30am. Generally, 3 hours is considered the minimum lay over for flights.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:55 PM   #10
Adub
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone.

ok, I'm $screwed as they are already booked and paid for.

I must admit, the last 4 times I've flown to LA on a A380 it's been pretty quick getting through customs. So I'm just going to pray to the airline gods.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:36 PM   #11
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks everyone.

ok, I'm $screwed as they are already booked and paid for.

I must admit, the last 4 times I've flown to LA on a A380 it's been pretty quick getting through customs. So I'm just going to pray to the airline gods.
When you check in, talk to them when you're getting your tickets. Even though its not a connecting flight, they might be able to assist getting you off the plane first ect.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess

Last edited by Disney_Princess83; 09-02-2013 at 01:21 AM.
Disney_Princess83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #12
ssour
Mouseketeer

I'd ask them to tag your bags as priority so they come off with the business class bags - luggage was our major hold up.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #13
Adub
Earning My Ears

Thanks.

I thought about doing that, in fact, I didn't sleep much last night wondering what I should do.

Cancel my Virgin America flight and lose $100 USD and re-book with someone else.

Or try to change my QF93 flight to the day earlier (and stay near LAX) one night - cannot do this, I tried.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #14
ssour
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks.

I thought about doing that, in fact, I didn't sleep much last night wondering what I should do.

Cancel my Virgin America flight and lose $100 USD and re-book with someone else.

Or try to change my QF93 flight to the day earlier (and stay near LAX) one night - cannot do this, I tried.
If it were me I'd probably suck up the $100 USD if I can get a decent fare with someone else, only because Virgin America only has the one flight each day, so if you do miss it, there's nothing until the following day. If I'm understanding your post correctly you have booked the Virgin America flight separate from your Qantas flight? If so, that means you'll have to get your luggage to the Virgin terminal and check in at least 45 mins before departure. This leaves you with only an hour and 15 mins to disembark, get through immigration, collect your luggage, go through customs and get your luggage to the Virgin terminal. Being early in the morning, hopefully immigration isn't too bad, it's basically your flight, the 747 from Sydney and a flight from Israel that get into Tom Bradley between 5am and 7am.

If you're planning on keeping it, make sure you pre-select seats as close to the front of the plane as possible and ring Qantas to ask them to note on your reservation that you have a tight connection and would like express passes.

Delta have a nonstop flight at 9:50am, which gives you an extra hour (so long as you don't have any delays). But, they also have a number of other flights later in the day (albeit not non-stop and arrive in MCO quite late).

Southwest also have a 10:30am flight, again not direct and later arrival.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:40 AM   #15
Adub
Earning My Ears

Thanks ssour

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: