Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #736
NurseKim
Hokey Pokey expert
Please administer lurking antidote immediately

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmo View Post

That's great...but don't quit yet. We're seeing even more dramatic results for early August dates in the past couple of days with Dollar and, to a lesser extent, Enterprise and the beginning of August is still a couple of weeks away. You might be able to squeeze another Disney cheeseburger or two out of your rates...
Hahaha my trip is in 5 days and I'm checking multiple times a day. I got an awesome deal from dollar yesterday $129 for 5 days mid size. I rebooked like 3 times in a half hr bc rate were still dropping. It's a few more Mickey bars for my kids =)

Kim
Mama to Alex 8/03 and Ethan 3/05
NurseKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #737
Yogurt
Earning My Ears

Dollar offered us $302 (after fees and taxes) for a 14-day midsize rental, August 17 to 31. City Special. Works out to around $22/day.

I'd still prefer Alamo or National, but it's our best option so far.
Yogurt is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #738
richmo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseKim View Post
Hahaha my trip is in 5 days and I'm checking multiple times a day. I got an awesome deal from dollar yesterday $129 for 5 days mid size. I rebooked like 3 times in a half hr bc rate were still dropping. It's a few more Mickey bars for my kids =)
That's pretty good! I know the July folks haven't seen the same drops we're getting for August, which isn't surprising. Keep looking though...you never know!

I haven't rented from Dollar for awhile and I'm seeing conflicting answers to this:
Does Dollar Express and/or Rapid Rental give you the ability to bypass the counter (or use some kind of kiosk)? Also, last time I used Dollar, you didn't get to pick the car...has that changed..do they have you go to a row and pick one out or is it still assigned?
richmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #739
Canwego
Earning My Ears

Just checked again with Dollar and rebooked at $275 Full size car for my 8/15-8/27 dates! That was using the 5C11M code.

Checked again and City is $270 full.

If that is where I stick I will be ok. Would love Alamo or National and will keep checking, but i can live with $270. Less than five days ago i was at $400.

Last edited by Canwego; 07-18-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Canwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #740
anorman
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogurt View Post
Dollar offered us $302 (after fees and taxes) for a 14-day midsize rental, August 17 to 31. City Special. Works out to around $22/day.

I'd still prefer Alamo or National, but it's our best option so far.
We got $287 with Dollar for a full size using the city special for 14 days Aug 14 to 28......what's the difference I wonder?
Old 07-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #741
puffkin
DVC Owner- SSR & AKV

Quote:
The tolls between MCO and Disney via either the Greeneway (FL-417 - MCO South exit) or the Bee Line (FL-528 MCO - North exit) are cash tolls. Stay to the right for cash transactions. Either route, I believe you go thru 2 tolls. There's no need for a SunPass. For those tolls, you can get change at the tollbooth, etc. There are some entrances to and exits from these roads that require exact change or a SunPass. If you stick mostly to the Disney exits and the MCO exits, you won't run into that.

I believe the automated tolls are primarily on the Florida Turnpike at this time. If you're just going to Disney or Orlando from MCO, there shouldn't be any issue and I-4 itself is still free between Daytona and Tampa.

And because this always comes up, unfortunately, no you can't bring your EZPass. The systems are not compatible.
I actually have my own SUNPASS transponder since we travel to Florida frequently. Would I have a problem using it in Dollar?

Veteran of 25+ trips to the World
puffkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #742
NurseKim
Hokey Pokey expert
Please administer lurking antidote immediately

Quote:
I haven't rented from Dollar for awhile and I'm seeing conflicting answers to this:
Does Dollar Express and/or Rapid Rental give you the ability to bypass the counter (or use some kind of kiosk)? Also, last time I used Dollar, you didn't get to pick the car...has that changed..do they have you go to a row and pick one out or is it still assigned?
I've never rented from dollar. From what I've read, express members can bypass the line, go to the garage and find their name on a board that tells them which car is assigned to them. I'm sure you could switch it up if it is stinky or whatever lol.
I like being able to pick my own car but not at a super higher price. My national was $209.

Kim
Mama to Alex 8/03 and Ethan 3/05
NurseKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #743
richmo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffkin View Post
I actually have my own SUNPASS transponder since we travel to Florida frequently. Would I have a problem using it in Dollar?
I wouldn't think so as long as you decline the Dollar toll service. I'd ask and make sure there is no transponder in the car (I've seen some agencies have something that covers it so it won't work unless you opt in)
richmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #744
hb2000
Earning My Ears

Finally a Good Deal

Just booked with Dollar.

Aug 14, 2PM - Aug 31, 5AM. $311 all in for 17 days. Full Size.

Best rate I've seen yet.

Used AAA code. Link to codes here:
http://www.dollar.com/Business/D4BMa...D_Numbers.aspx

Does say on my reservation that I will have to present my card at the counter.

Would prefer to have a res. with my wife as the second driver but I guess I will be the chauffeur for this trip.
hb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #745
danjoan14
Clang Clang Clang Went The Trolley

We're staying on Disney property for the first week, so we won't need a rental. The second week, we're staying at our time share and getting a rental for the week. Here are the rates that I have for an SUV:

Alamo: $301.72 (MK Car Care)
Dollar: $265.21 (Wyndham Lake Buena Vista - Downtown Disney)
Budget: $240.10 (Doubletree @ Disney World - Downtown Disney)

I keep checking everyday for reduced rates.

2014 - Sheraton Vistana Villages
2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
2010 - Sheraton Vistana Villages
2007 - Dolphin
2005 - Sheraton Vistana Villages

danjoan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #746
quirty30
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
Personally, I would just get the car at the airport and be done with the hassle. I never mind DME for going to the resort, but getting back to the airport ALWAYS seems to be a project. Just my experience though. I like having a car, it's a control thing!
I hate driving on vacation, and dealing with tired kids and retrieving luggage. Not to mention, we're flying first class and checking more bags than usual. And I really enjoy using DME for that final leg into the World. So I definitely don't want to get the car at MCO. Though I do agree with you about DME for the return. Buses that never show or ones that are late and more passengers then they can fit.

Quote:
Seems reasonable. I would continue to look at the reservation you've already set up. Dollar prices have been very volatile the last few days, and your days are exactly the same as mine. I am about $60 less than you for the same days with Dollar, but I'm renting from MCO.

A few other things you could look at:
-Try Alamo (or National) from the Car Care Center (or possibly the Dolphin). If you do this, they will pick you up at your resort and take you to the CCC for your rental.
-I see that you don't want to drive from the airport, but do you have the same feelings about returning the car to the airport? If not, you could pickup at the Wyndham and return the car to MCO. Sometimes doing this messes up the prices, sometimes improves them and sometimes makes no difference.
- You might want to consider returning the car to the Wyndham the day before you leave, so you don't have to deal with it on getaway day. The catch I see here is that you would no longer have the car over a Saturday night, which can adversely affect your rate. If that's the case, price out picking it up Saturday night (although I'm not sure what the hours would be since its a remote location)
All things I have considered for the most part. All the WDW locations are closed before our flight even arrives on Saturday night the 3rd. So, considering I really want to use DME, we will have to get the car on Sunday. I did also price Alamo pickup at the Car Care Center with the Insiders discount and $30 Visa coupon code - came out to roughly $260. And you are correct that returning on Saturday made a real negative impact on the pricing. Our outbound flight on Sunday the 11th isn't til 7 or so - so I don't think it will be that hard to return the car right after we checkout and spend the day at DTD before going back to SSR (our usual routine for late outbound flights.) But I will definitely look into returning at MCO - you and Alexander both make good points about this being a viable option. If it doesn't impact the cost too much (and then I wouldn't have to worry about storing our carry on bags with bell service for the day.) Thank you both for your advice.

And from reading all the other replies here, it looks like I should continue to monitor both Alamo and Dollar until we leave to see if something better comes along. And here I thought pricing airfare was a racket - it's got nothing on this car rental process!!!!
Old 07-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #747
Canwego
Earning My Ears

Just rebooked again with Dollar using the AAA New England code and dropped to $245 for full size.
Canwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #748
drgnfly30
Take my advice, never pay full price
They call me Bobbie Vila around these parts!
I can't stop smelling myself!

Got a good base rates from Thrifty using IDT15 or EDS15, this morning but when I added in the tax/fees and ultimately the $11 per day additional driver fee, it still ended up over my 'goal' rate.

Maybe it will work for someone else!

Offsite 1973~1977~1983 ~ POR Nov 2001 ~ CR Oct 2002 ~ Offsite Sept 2004 ~ Nick Oct 2004 ~ POP Feb 2006 ~ Indian Creek Villa June 2006~July 2007~June 2008 ~ CSR June 2009 ~ POP Aug 2011 ~ Swan June 2012~Dolphin August 2013~CBR Sept 2014
drgnfly30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #749
EPCOT is a verb
Former Long-time lurkers
I remember reading something on the DIS about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOT is a verb View Post
My mid August, 8 day rental is now $175 for a standard size with taxes and fees through the Dollar website with a City Special. The standard car rates were cheaper than the compacts!
Dollar rates still going down! Just rebooked for $158 with the City Special on the Dollar website, now with a midsize. Woo Hoo!
EPCOT is a verb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #750
magsmom
DIS Veteran

I also used the AAA rate for Dollar, and am also at $249 for 12 days. Much better than the $440 I started with Alamo on Sunday.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: