Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #16
OrangeJuice
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekypoppins View Post
OMg I just noticed now( i might be naturally blonde)that you're from Canada too,what part??? I'm in niagara
Yay I love meeting new canadians! We are from the maritimes (New Brunswick to be precise).

Old 08-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #17
Aussiesalad
Totes Mcgoats

Off to a great start!! I'm in!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #18
nannye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeJuice View Post
Soundtrack: Welcome to Animal Kingdom

So we got in line for our first park.

Of course it started raining before the bus got there. There was this little fella in the bus that was so depressed because of the rain. He was certain that it would rain for the whole day and that they wouldn't be able to do anything and they would need to turn around. I felt like telling him "everything would be ok, there are plenty of things to do in AK in the rain and anyways rain never last in Florida" but then I figured it would be very creepy so I let him be sad...anyways, he was so busy being sad that he never noticed the rain had stopped halfway to AK.

We arrived at Animal Kingdom and already started having a wild time.

BUBBLES!!!! I LOVE THE BUBBLES!! my bubbles

We took in the sights from the Tree of Life

Went to Asia first

Maybe we should of left some offerings as to not upset the yeti.

The park was busy when we arrived (around 3:00pm) but it was EMPTY after the parade. Wait times where nil for most rides (Safari, Dinosaur and Primeval, EE).

Grabbed some fast passes for Expedition Everest

Then headed pass Dino-rama

for our first ride of the week.

We took a shortcut through Dino-Rama and their prehisterically low prices!

Our fast pass window hadn't opened yet so we decided to get into the single rider line (All the single riders! all the single riders, put your hands up! up up up!) We very rarely get in lines longer then 15 minutes for anything *we're very impatient people* but single rider lines are great! we where on in now time and where ready to roll.

We are off!

Love the foreshadowing in this ride

Wee!!!

Time to go up!

and up

and up?...nope we stalled. I told the lady next to me that this happens all the time and that we should be back on track in no time...

Nope, not gonna happen, they brought us up to the end of the track and then no more moving. A voice came on the intercom saying that our train had made and unexpected stop and that we should wait to expedition team members to come assist us.

I knew this meant that we where being evacuated through the inside of the mountain (and honestly I was excited, I am fascinated by EE's architecture (If you are too watch Modern Marvels Disney episode *LOVE IT*) anyways, most people in the train did not share my enthousiasm and promptly started panicking. I was worried that someone might try to exit the ride vehicle or do something stupid.

Thankfully our expition leaders got there within maybe 10 minutes. (I didn't take as many pictures as I wanted during this time because I discovered a secret pocket in by backpack (Aka I was sure I lost my camera until I found it inside said secret pocket)).

We where then tacken down 17 flights of stairs in the middle of the structure.Although the stairs are inside a staircase I did get a peak inside the structure (NO CAMERAS!) it was pretty cool. (oh and I was happy we did weight watchers cause I would of died in those stairs last year).

For those of you wondering (including the panicked lady sitting next to me), EE is 199.5 ft high (the coaster itself doesn't reach that high according to Wiki) and it is the tallest structure in WDW surpassing TOT which was 199ft. Disney does not want to build taller because they would need to place a red light for airplanes on it which would ruin the illusion. (The lady was not impressed with this trivia...weird haha).

Anyways, after walking down everest we needed something to quench our thirst..something full of water and electrolytes...something healthy...OH TRIPLE YETI BLAST! lets get that... and so we did.

Alright so we got our "adult beverage" and we had about 20 minutes till the parade...what to do? what to do?...Find out what in next week's episode which will air much sooner then next week.

Thanks for reading!
I have been so insanely usy since getting back from our July trip tat I havent had any dis time. I am now starting to catch up! I finished your PTR, your dresses were amazing, everything looked amazing. And now I am subscribing to your TR. hope for an update soon.

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
July 2012, V and I at POR in a RGR
August 2011, V & I @ POP

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
Old 08-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #19
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

I'm here! I'm here! Love the updates so far! Sounds like you guys had a smooth travel experience and a great first day so far (well, except for EE breaking down on you, but at least you got to see some of the guts of the coaster!)
Old 08-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #20
silverhaze269
DIS Veteran

Glad to hear your wait wasn't too long for a ME bus...it looked like it would have taken longer based on that line. I'll have to remember that

Sharing meals is definitely a good thing to do. Last year we ended up doing this a few times and it worked out really well, so I'm hopeful we can do that more this time.

My fiance would totally aprove of your very frist ride of the trip...it's her favourite one in all of WDW! I normally wouldn't think to go to AK on the first day, but it looked like it worked out really well for you guys (even getting stuck on EE )!
Expect the Unexpected: A May/June 2011 Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2737115

October 28-November 11 2012 - Disney/POP, May 27-June 4 2011 - Disney/CSR, April 20-27 2008 - Disney/POP, Dec 18-27 2007 - Disney/POFQ, Dec 10-15 2006 - USO/HRH, May 15-20 2005 - USO/ HRH, Aug 20-27 2004 - Disney/DTD Hotels, Aug 28 - Sept 2 2003 - USO/HRH, April 14-26 2002 - WDW, USO, SW, BG/Off-site
Old 08-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #21
Blissikins
Earning My Ears

I'm in! Love your report so far. Your wedding dresses are beautiful! I can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #22
OrangeJuice
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
I'm here! I'm here! Love the updates so far! Sounds like you guys had a smooth travel experience and a great first day so far (well, except for EE breaking down on you, but at least you got to see some of the guts of the coaster!)
Yay good to have ya back . We couldn't of asked for a better first day actually. I loved it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhaze269 View Post
Glad to hear your wait wasn't too long for a ME bus...it looked like it would have taken longer based on that line. I'll have to remember that

Sharing meals is definitely a good thing to do. Last year we ended up doing this a few times and it worked out really well, so I'm hopeful we can do that more this time.

My fiance would totally aprove of your very frist ride of the trip...it's her favourite one in all of WDW! I normally wouldn't think to go to AK on the first day, but it looked like it worked out really well for you guys (even getting stuck on EE )!
We were lucky for the ME because as soon as we got in line they started boarding for the first bus so that we really only had to wait until the next bus. As for sharing meals, we soon found out that we needed to share because after weight watchers our appetites where much less then they where last year. Oh and Dinosaur is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissikins View Post
I'm in! Love your report so far. Your wedding dresses are beautiful! I can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip.
Thanks for joining in!

Old 08-26-2012, 02:00 PM   #23
OrangeJuice
Mouseketeer

Day 1: It's a Jammin Jungle out there!

Soundtrack: Jammin Jungle Parade

So last episode ended with a long climb down everest and the search for a drink. We found the Triple Yeti Blast at the small kiosk right in front of flight of wonders. The parade was about to start but we didn't feel like standing up for the whole time. We notice that across the street there was a completely empty seating area. People had taken most of the chairs to sit along the parade route but the area itself had some nice tables and a few chairs remaining. We had a seat there and enjoyed a GREAT view of the Tree of Life while we waited for the parade to arrive. It was really refreshing and the Slushy Margarita was great to cool us down (although I really preferred the strawberry flavored part of the drink)

The parade soon started so we got up and stood behind everyone who had pulled a chair. We basically had an unobstructed view which was great.

I had never seen Brer Rabit outside of Splash.

After the parade, the park really emptied out. We walked over to Dinosaur one more time and rode with no wait.

Then we decided to try a new one Primeval Whirl (it was closed on our last trip).

It was a fun ride but it really is a ride that I would expect to find at a carnival, not something that I would wait in line for at Disney.

We then saw Finding Nemo the Musical (my favorite!) but I didn't take any pictures. I love how they created this whole new soundtrack but kept the same story. I think that's what I don't like about Festival of The Lion King, I wish it followed the movie a bit (and had more SIMBA! (rant time: Why is everything about Timon and Pumba? I realize that Simba has four legs so he wouldn't work as a character but come-on he was the star of the show!!! Rant done)). Does anyone remember when Legend of the Lion King was a show at MK (where Philharmagic is)? Here is a link to a video of the show. Legend of the Lion King

Anyways, after that we decided to brave Expedition Everest one more time but this time we made sure to leave offerings to the yeti to make sure that we made it back safely.

And we made it!

After all that excitement we decided to walk across the way to Camp Mickey Minnie

but we found another great little spot with a view of the Tree.

then got distracted by the 0 wait time for Safari so we climbed aboard.

Elephants!

Ostrich!

They are building a new area for the zebras. We actually saw them from a distance. It seemed like their holding area during the construction may be close to the safari. Also, I don't know if this is news to anyone but there was no mention of a 2 week expedition being cut short by poachers. That storyline is gone.

AND we never made it to Camp Mickey Minnie. When we left the park, 10 minutes before close, it was EMPTY. AK was a great park to start off with (because we had park hopper our day wasn't done yet).

At this point we had a few hours before our supper reservation so we made a pit stop at the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Then we caught a bus to Downtown Disney for CHOCOLATE!!!!
We got a nice Rice Krispy Mickey head covered in Milk Chocolate, mini M&M's and more milk chocolate! It survived the heat in my backpack that evening and spent the rest of the week in our fridge (which is awesome to have in a value room).

We also had a Mickey Ear Brownie (toffee flavored).

It was ok but it wasn't the best brownie. A bit dry.

I also got a few things at the christmas store (a tree topper and a Mickey Doctor ornament) as a xmas present to me from Jess. I'll post pictures of them later.

We then got on the bus with 45 minutes to go before our reservation. Just a quick word of advice. If you are in a hurry, DTD is not a good place to go for a "quick" stop. Even though we only did two stores and thought we where out of there with enough time to make it to the Polynesian, we had a change in bus drivers + a second stop in DTD + the bus was shared with the Contemporary Resort where we stopped first. We did make it just on time but I felt like we where cutting it too close.

That's it for now. I'll be back soon with our first Dining Review! Our first topic will be.....'OHANA

Here's a quick Sneak Peak:

Old 08-29-2012, 05:08 AM   #24
silverhaze269
DIS Veteran

I've never seen the parade at AK, but your pictures make me want to see it this time!

Also, awesome shot of the Cheetah on the Safari! It's usually really had to get a clear shot of him/her. It's also good to see you got to complete EE

I love 'Ohana, so I can't wait to hear what you guys thought of it
Expect the Unexpected: A May/June 2011 Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2737115

October 28-November 11 2012 - Disney/POP, May 27-June 4 2011 - Disney/CSR, April 20-27 2008 - Disney/POP, Dec 18-27 2007 - Disney/POFQ, Dec 10-15 2006 - USO/HRH, May 15-20 2005 - USO/ HRH, Aug 20-27 2004 - Disney/DTD Hotels, Aug 28 - Sept 2 2003 - USO/HRH, April 14-26 2002 - WDW, USO, SW, BG/Off-site
Old 08-29-2012, 05:29 AM   #25
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

You guys had a great day at AK! I love the parade, and DH has never seen it so we are making it one of our goals this year.
Mmmm all that chocolate at DTD looks so good!
I can't wait to hear about 'Ohana!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #26
cheekypoppins
DIS Veteran

Now I want a brownie sundae,brownies make me want icecream :D

Old 09-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #27
OrangeJuice
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhaze269 View Post
I've never seen the parade at AK, but your pictures make me want to see it this time!

Also, awesome shot of the Cheetah on the Safari! It's usually really had to get a clear shot of him/her. It's also good to see you got to complete EE

I love 'Ohana, so I can't wait to hear what you guys thought of it
The AK parade is unique and I love the soundtrack. I really think it is worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
You guys had a great day at AK! I love the parade, and DH has never seen it so we are making it one of our goals this year.
Mmmm all that chocolate at DTD looks so good!
I can't wait to hear about 'Ohana!
I think it is my favorite parade, your DH really needs to see it. 'Ohana dining review should be up later tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekypoppins View Post
Now I want a brownie sundae,brownies make me want icecream :D
A brownie sunday would be good right about now.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #28
OrangeJuice
Mouseketeer

Dining Review: 'Ohana

Soundtrack:
He Mele No Lilo
Hawaiian Rollercoaster Ride
Aloha E Komo Mai

Three songs today because I really like Lilo and Stitch's soundtrack. They have some very fun songs.

Welcome to:

My first Dining Review

As mentioned in the last post. Our first table service meal in WDW was at 'Ohana. We got to the Polynesian with just a few minutes to spare. We entered through the main door and made our way to the staircase in the back right of the lobby. The check in podium for the restaurant is at the top of those stairs. We checked in and sat down on those nice comfy couches (by that point I was starved and ready to sleep, not a good mix, I must of been hallucinating because I think I saw the Spice Girls on tv...:P)

We probably sat there for 5 or 10 minutes before our little pager thing went off. We where met by our cousin at the front of the restaurant. He brought us around to the kitchen where he introduced us to the drink options and picked up our DELICIOUS smelling bread.

He then made a stop at the grill to show us how the meat would be prepared for our meal.

The meat is cooked on these big skewers and brought to your table while still on the skewer. You let your cousin know how much you want and they push it down onto your plate with a fork type utensil. Everything else is brought to the table Family style.

He then brought us to this comically HUGE table which would be fine for a big family but was a bit akward for just two people. That being said I actually like the ambiance at 'Ohana, the lights where dimmed and it wasn't too loud. We where there fairly late at night so there weren't any games for the kids.

Here is Jess demonstrating how dim the lights where.

Our cousin left the loaf of bread with us and told us that another cousin would be by soon for drink orders and more food.

Where did the bread go?

As you can tell, the bread didn't last long. Even with just the two of us it disappeared pretty quickly. It was GOOD bread. I love how it had just the right amount of pineapple taste to it and it was warm. I could of used some butter with it but that's just personal preference.

The first thing to appear on our table was a salad.

I liked the salad, it had a sweet dressing on it which I enjoyed but Jess did not. I say don't waste too much time on the salad. There are better things to come...

Our cousin also brought out three sauces but I can't say I tried them very much. Everything already had enough flavoring so no sauce was needed.

Afterwards our cousin brought out the most amazing thing my eyes had ever looked upon. It smelled like heaven and tasted even better...What am I talking about...

the noodles.

They where delicious. I think they are udon noodles with a peanut type sauce on them. The broccoli was also very good. I think it was crunchy.

Not too long after, he brought out this good looking plate of Pork stickers and wings.

The pork stickers where delicious, they where fried which gave them a crunchier texture. The wings where also very good and had a sweet sauce. I was only able to have one because another cousin came by to drop off this amazingness.

This was amongst the best steak I have ever had. It was melt in your mouth tender. Cooked at about a Medium rare level (the only way to eat a steak :P)
and had been marinated in something delicious ( I can't remember what the flavoring was.) I also need to point out that we where stuffed by this point and the only reason I could continue to eat was because everything was so delicious ( I even kept going back to the noodles).

Then in a wonderful parade of amazingness our cousins brought us...

Shrimp

Chicken

pork

The shrimp was tasty, the chicken had a lemony-fresh type of flavor that I didn't really care for and the pork was well cooked but I had almost no more room in my stomach by that point (but still kept eating those darn noodles, they where SOOOO good).

It was around this time that they piped in the music from Wishes, I was confused that many people didn't even notice that the fireworks where happening or that the music was Wishes ( I cry a little every time I listen to it). We had an okay view from where we where sitting but I would not count that as "Seeing the fireworks" more like I saw bits and pieces of the fireworks amongst the trees through that window way over there. So don't book 'Ohana expecting to "see" the fireworks. We where there for the food so Wishes was a nice extra.

After Wishes, our cousin brought us one final amazing thing....

The bread pudding with banana foster sauce.

Now this was good! The bread pudding was well cooked and the sauce tasted like caramel and bananas. It was heated which went very well with the vanilla ice cream. It was the perfect way to end that meal.

Overall:
Ok, this meal was AMAZING. I loved the ambiance at 'Ohana, the food was delicious (and not stuff that you could easily find back home), the way everything was served family style was really cool and the noodles where heavenly. Everything was brought out in large enough quantities that we had plenty. I loved that the plates remained on the table for the whole meal so you could always go back for more salad if you wanted to (or more noodles). We didn't try any of the drinks but I have heard that they are really good.

It was interesting watching people at the tables near us who did not know what to expect. There was a couple who where there for their first time and the guy was so excited every time something new would appear at the table. I thought his eyes would come out of his head when he saw the meat skewers. He was a happy man that night hahaha.

Final word: Great meal, must do, wether you are a small or large group GO TO 'Ohana.

After supper we went to MK for EMH, I used the Lines application to figure out where we should go throughout the night. I was very useful to have wi-fi in the parks. We rode Haunted Mansion while the park cleared out then did Aladdin, Pirates then rode Splash Mountain before heading back to the resort.

Here are a few pictures from that night.

Ready to take on one more park?

A Whole New World..

I wonder why Jess is so happy..

OMG we are walking right down the middle of Main st USA

What time is it?

First Castle Pic.

My second trip to the world, this was under construction...12 years later I finally get to ride it.

Yo Ho Yo Ho It's off to pirate we go (oops I think I'm mixing two songs)

So where are we going tomorrow? I'll give you a hint. It is a place of Joy, Hope and Friendship. It is inspired by Walt Disney's creative vision and it celebrates human achievements. It hopes to entertain, inform, and inspire, and above all (...) instill a new sense of belief and pride in man's ability to shape a world that offers hope to people everywhere.

Thanks for reading.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #29
cheekypoppins
DIS Veteran

oooohhh you're online that excites me I hope it means more,I can't get enough of this tr I'm loving the tunes!!!!

Old 09-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #30
Sam33
DIS Veteran

Yay! You started! Sorry I'm late. Sounds like and ultra-productive and awesome first day. I want to be there!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: