Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #3331
ColonelHathi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
Here it is, sorry for the pic overload.....

Just wanted to say hi and it's SO pretty! It reminds me of my new Singer 160 (so not vintage, but it has the black with the gold scroll work). Love my old 1950's Wards machine though, at times more than the 160, it's a workhorse! Enjoy!!!

CSR October 2013, POR October 2013
Jungle Cruise Skipper ~ Spring CP, Summer Seasonal circa 1995
ColonelHathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #3332
Ahrizel
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the help with gathering. I used a cording foot over perle cotton, which worked well. I will try gathering in sections next time, hopefully it will make getting the gathers even more easily. I have the wrong ruffler foot, which I'm going to return and get the correct one. I really want to learn to use one of those. I did finish the skirt which turned out pretty good. The evenness of the gathers could be better to my eyes, but overall it looks nice. With 3 tiers and a ruffle it is full! I'll post a picture later, can't do pictures for a week or so, it is a give project It was a learning experience, which so much of my sewing is in the past year.
Mary
Ahrizel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #3333
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you for those links. I will be checking them out thoroughly. The 91 manual looks more like mine. It doesn't have any fancy scroll work on the silver metal but it still has original shine and not one speck of rust on the whole machine. It honestly looks like it was never used before or cleaned to perfection . I just tried it out and it runs beautifully and makes a perfectly straight stitch, I just have to play with a tension a bit and only slightly but I think I am going to love it !

My DH saw it on the floor when I was Gchatting him and asked me how many machines I need. This is only my second, the green one is my son's. She doesn't even make hardly a sound when I run her, it is so nice. I can't believe it only cost $30 and it came with a buttonholer, the green one that looks like it came out of the Jetsons TV show. I can't wait to use it for my next project. It even came with Singer machine oil in a can, cost 30 cents on it. My only wish is that it had a removable arm so i could do sleeves easier.
Wow! What a fantastic deal! I can't wait to see what you make with the machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMom5 View Post
Here is my latest ones (sorry for the blurry pic!)...made them to match their new purses (also by me.) Wish I had made them a bit longer, but I was using their fall measurements...and I think they grew.

Great job on the skirts and the purses! I am sure they really liked the set!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
There is a gathering foot available for most machines too. Here is one on Amazon:http://www.amazon.com/Brother-SA120-...gathering+foot

The generic (not made by Brother) ones work just as well and usually cost much less. Maybe I will dig my gathering foot out and play around with it a bit too. I have one but haven't used it much since I used my ruffler a lot. Getting a ruffler that stays attached will definitely help.

There is also a technique for gathering using clear elastic. I did that for a while and it worked pretty well if you aren't trying to gather a ton of fabric but it doesn't sound like it would have worked on the very full skirts you were making.
I have a gathering foot and a ruffling foot. I prefer my ruffling foot once I had it set up following Carla's tutoral. I found the Brother ruffling foot worked WAY better than a generic one I bought earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
Yay that you got your machine!! It's always nice to come home to a surprise. sorry you had a bad day at work. Once you take your class, you'll be sewing up a storm. Patterns for a dollar are always good. I'm buying way too much fabric, but it's just so hard to resist. What sort of things do you hope to make?

Have a fun time with your new machine. And Flora will be by soon to tell you to name your new baby.
I didn't realize I am the one who encourages people to name their machines! I actually don't have a name for my 270D nor my serger. However, I do have Genie (embroidery machine), Figment (Kitchenaid stand mixer), and Mr. R (Roomba vacuum).

Quote:
Hopefully that luck runs into selling my house too and not just me spending money. teehee.
I hope you will be very successful in selling your house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahrizel View Post
Thanks for all the help with gathering. I used a cording foot over perle cotton, which worked well. I will try gathering in sections next time, hopefully it will make getting the gathers even more easily. I have the wrong ruffler foot, which I'm going to return and get the correct one. I really want to learn to use one of those. I did finish the skirt which turned out pretty good. The evenness of the gathers could be better to my eyes, but overall it looks nice. With 3 tiers and a ruffle it is full! I'll post a picture later, can't do pictures for a week or so, it is a give project It was a learning experience, which so much of my sewing is in the past year.
Mary
I am glad to hear that you were able to complete the skirt. I hope things will work better once you get the correct ruffler foot! I can't wait to see pictures of this skirt!

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:49 AM   #3334
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Haha Flora. Do I have you mixed up with someone else? Someone encouraged me to name my new machine and I thought it was a fun idea.

Couldn't sleep last night at all, so was looking things up and came across this item on ebay if anyone is interested.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brother-PE-7...item257c420912

Its a Brother 770 embroidery machine that was traded in for an upgrade. It has been serviced and is ready to go. No idea of the stitch count, but thought I'd pass the info along. Sorry if I'm enabling someone, but it's at $475 right now, which is a pretty good deal for a used one I think.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:54 AM   #3335
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahrizel View Post
It was a learning experience, which so much of my sewing is in the past year.
Mary
Sewing continues to be a learning experience for me and I've been sewing for years. There is always something new to learn or some different technique to try. That's part of what makes it fun for me.

Quote:
Haha Flora. Do I have you mixed up with someone else? Someone encouraged me to name my new machine and I thought it was a fun idea.

Couldn't sleep last night at all, so was looking things up and came across this item on ebay if anyone is interested.

Its a Brother 770 embroidery machine that was traded in for an upgrade. It has been serviced and is ready to go. No idea of the stitch count, but thought I'd pass the info along. Sorry if I'm enabling someone, but it's at $475 right now, which is a pretty good deal for a used one I think.
I think it was probably Carrie that encouraged you to name your machine. She has all of her machines named. I think after the characters in Little Women???

I always look at the machines on ebay too. It is fun to see what they have and how much it is selling for. Last week I was watching a Pfaff machine that was going for a very low amount. But I restrained myself. I don't really want another machine right now.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:03 AM   #3336
cogero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sewing continues to be a learning experience for me and I've been sewing for years. There is always something new to learn or some different technique to try. That's part of what makes it fun for me.

I think it was probably Carrie that encouraged you to name your machine. She has all of her machines named. I think after the characters in Little Women???

I always look at the machines on ebay too. It is fun to see what they have and how much it is selling for. Last week I was watching a Pfaff machine that was going for a very low amount. But I restrained myself. I don't really want another machine right now.
I do this all the time. I love ebay but I always forget to check my bids and wind up loosing a lot of things

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #3337
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogero View Post
I do this all the time. I love ebay but I always forget to check my bids and wind up loosing a lot of things
Oh Chiara, you should get AuctionSniper! I love it. You just put in your max bid and it will bid for you automatically. The best part is that you can't get carried away and bid more than you should too.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #3338
bunny213
DIS Veteran

Question Help...new thread!

My DGD's class is putting on "The Lion King" play....and she got the part as Timon......I need to make her a costume. I've searched and found costumes for up to 36 mos.....and then found the real expensive ones for adults. Can anyone give me any ideas how to put this together? I can sew (SIMPLE THINGS)....since it's a singing show....she won't be able to wear a mask....I thought maybe I could make one like they show on the baby costumes. I have no ideas...I found some brown capri pants at old navy and a brown hoodie on the jiffy or hanes site. This is turning into nightmare......thank you very much - barb
bunny213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #3339
hey_jude
Mouseketeer

I would make a standard animal head 'hat' (like this pattern http://www.simplicity.com/p-1773-costumes.aspx) revising the ears to be long and floppy and adding the orange tuft of hair on top. I'd do the rest with face paint.

Judy

Dec 1972 - offsite visit to Disney World / Dec 1975 - offsite visit to Disney World / Mar 1993 - Dixie Landings / Aug 2008 - All Star Music / Aug-Sept 2009 - All Star Music, Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party / Aug 2010 - All Star Music, Bay Lake Tower / October 2010 - offsite visit to Disneyland, Mickey's Halloween Party / Aug 2011 - All Star Music / Aug-Sept 2014 - Caribbean Beach, Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party
hey_jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #3340
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Dropping by today to solicit some ideas. I have received a long list of requests from an acquaintance of a friend who saw the shirts I made for the friend's kids and now wants me to MAKE. HER. EVERYTHING. She is willing to pay, though I haven't given her any price point yet so this may all be moot since she might think buying custom clothes is cheaper than store-bought or something. So, among the list of bowling shirts and t-shirts and a custom preschool backpack (saying no to that one.) she has a request for a complete birthday outfit for her 3-year-old, which is "Heffalump inspired". And while I could check the movie(s) out of the library I figured I would ask the Disney experts. She says she wants a safari vest, a t-shirt and matching pants with Pooh and Heffalump to go with the party theme of "Help (kid) hunt for his Heffalump."

So, what the heck does that look like in your minds? I did make safari vests for my kids for AK, they were sort of a wing-it project and they were a pain with all the pockets and such. (I think I spent about 4-5 hours on each one by the time they were done.)

These were a Carla C bowling shirt, minus the sleeves, collar and plackets, canvas lined with plain cotton. That part was easy. The not-as-easy part was I added 3 cargo pockets w/ little flaps and button close, plus a little tab/hook thing for the compass and some freehand embroidery (pre-embroidery machine.) to the pocket and the back. The shirts I made were plain white w/ HeatherSue's Safari Donald and Mickey, and shorts I bought on clearance at Kohls... So yeah, a complete outfit, but I guess I cheated.

So I am wondering a few things:
1. Does anyone have any ideas for easier/less time consuming pockets that look safari-like? I sorta don't even care if they are functional or just for show. I do have a PES file for adding pockets to t-shirts ITH but I haven't actually done it yet.

2. What the heck is heffalump-inspired supposed to look like for a little boy? I googled it and it was a sea of pale purple and seemed sort of girly and juvenile to me, not something I would want to make for my 3 year old boys. Might make a cute dress... But what fabric, colors, etc?

3. Any other thoughts on this debacle? I don't want it to turn into NannyE's make-a-dress situation last month. This lady has the potential to be a good customer or a complete nightmare.

4. It is totally OK to tell me to watch the movie and leave you all alone.

Thanks, Jen

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #3341
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
Dropping by today to solicit some ideas. I have received a long list of requests from an acquaintance of a friend who saw the shirts I made for the friend's kids and now wants me to MAKE. HER. EVERYTHING. She is willing to pay, though I haven't given her any price point yet so this may all be moot since she might think buying custom clothes is cheaper than store-bought or something. So, among the list of bowling shirts and t-shirts and a custom preschool backpack (saying no to that one.) she has a request for a complete birthday outfit for her 3-year-old, which is "Heffalump inspired". And while I could check the movie(s) out of the library I figured I would ask the Disney experts. She says she wants a safari vest, a t-shirt and matching pants with Pooh and Heffalump to go with the party theme of "Help (kid) hunt for his Heffalump."

So, what the heck does that look like in your minds? I did make safari vests for my kids for AK, they were sort of a wing-it project and they were a pain with all the pockets and such. (I think I spent about 4-5 hours on each one by the time they were done.)

1. Does anyone have any ideas for easier/less time consuming pockets that look safari-like? I sorta don't even care if they are functional or just for show. I do have a PES file for adding pockets to t-shirts ITH but I haven't actually done it yet.

How about just a khaki vest with a Heffalump on the back and pooh on the front, no pockets. I would use Pooh fabric for the shorts and maybe cut one out to use on the vest. Is there a PES file of Pooh with a heffalump for the shirt ?

2. What the heck is heffalump-inspired supposed to look like for a little boy? I googled it and it was a sea of pale purple and seemed sort of girly and juvenile to me, not something I would want to make for my 3 year old boys. Might make a cute dress... But what fabric, colors, etc?

The heffalump himself is gray so colors should be easy.

3. Any other thoughts on this debacle? I don't want it to turn into NannyE's make-a-dress situation last month. This lady has the potential to be a good customer or a complete nightmare.

Thanks, Jen
I wish I could help you more but I am not a fan of Pooh so I don't know. Just remember to add cost for thread and time. Tell her an upfront $50 and then she can shop with you and pay for all the material needed so she knows how much it will cost before you do anything.

On another note, I decided to name my new machine. I am going with Eudora. Some of you may get it right away but I want to see how many first.

Last edited by pyrxtc; 04-03-2013 at 10:30 PM.
pyrxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #3342
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I think I did encourage someone to name their machine recently. Maybe I should go back and name my 270D and my serger. The reason why my stand mixer got named Figment is partly because of it's colour - it's the same colour as Figment (I got it from Sears outlet so I didn't get to choose the colour).

I resist looking at machines on ebay since the shipping cost to Canada would negate any potential savings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny213 View Post
My DGD's class is putting on "The Lion King" play....and she got the part as Timon......I need to make her a costume. I've searched and found costumes for up to 36 mos.....and then found the real expensive ones for adults. Can anyone give me any ideas how to put this together? I can sew (SIMPLE THINGS)....since it's a singing show....she won't be able to wear a mask....I thought maybe I could make one like they show on the baby costumes. I have no ideas...I found some brown capri pants at old navy and a brown hoodie on the jiffy or hanes site. This is turning into nightmare......thank you very much - barb
Can you add black stripes to the shirt sleeves to look like Timon? I guess you will need to add a tail as well.

Quote:

Thanks, Jen
1) How about mesh pockets for the vest and just do it as ITH?

2) Heffalump is an elephant, so maybe you can do something along those lines?

3) Well, I just did a bunch of T-shirts for one of my co-workers (applique + names). She supplied the shirts and offered to pay. I told her how time I spent on them and gave her a price based on the time spent (which is no where close to what I make at work). She did not complain about the price. She said she may mention me to her friends - we'll see if anything comes from that.

4) I just read the summary of the movie to find out the plot. The funny thing is that we actually have the DVD of the movie. I got it from a garage sale for $1 and it has been sitting on the shelf since!

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:40 AM   #3343
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny213 View Post
Since it is a play, you only need to get the general idea of Timon from the costume because she will be "acting" the part and everybody will know from her acting which character she is. That said, I'd dress her in brown and then add the long ears and the hair tuft to the hood. Remember it doesn't have to look perfect up close, it only has to "represent" the character from far away. I have done a decent amount of helping with costumes at my my dd's middle school and we do stuff like that all the time.

Quote:
She says she wants a safari vest, a t-shirt and matching pants with Pooh and Heffalump to go with the party theme of "Help (kid) hunt for his Heffalump."

Thanks, Jen
I think I'd do some easy fit shorts with cargo pockets. I'd go with more of a safari themed outfit. Make it into a Heffalump hunting outfit by adding a Pooh to the shirt with some kind of wording like Heffalump hunter. I'd skip all the purple and girly colors. I can't imagine the mom wants a purple outfit for a 3 yo boy's birthday party.

To make the pockets easier, you should cut them doubled, fold them inside out, sew them together and then turn them right side out, close the opening and sew them to the shorts. Here is a tutorial that has some good pocket ideas: http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/2010/06/easy-patch-pockets/ I hate doing pockets where you have to press the pocket edged under and then try and get everything right as you sew them onto the pants or skirt. It is much easier to finish the pocket completely and then just attach it to your project. I have a skort pattern that I have put off making because it has about 6 pockets on it and even when you simplify them, it is a pain to do that many.

Good luck with the customer. I hope it goes well and she turns out to be great to work with.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #3344
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Quote:

These were a Carla C bowling shirt, minus the sleeves, collar and plackets, canvas lined with plain cotton. That part was easy. The not-as-easy part was I added 3 cargo pockets w/ little flaps and button close, plus a little tab/hook thing for the compass and some freehand embroidery (pre-embroidery machine.) to the pocket and the back. The shirts I made were plain white w/ HeatherSue's Safari Donald and Mickey, and shorts I bought on clearance at Kohls... So yeah, a complete outfit, but I guess I cheated.

Thanks, Jen
First of all, how flattering that this person so admired your work! I love the idea of putting cargo pockets on the easy fits and just stitching out the characters on the shirt. It was very clever of you to use the bowling shirt as a jumping off place for the vest. That should work again and without the pockets to contend with, should go much more quickly.

I have no experience what-so-ever with the heffalump, so no help there, but wanted to wish you luck. I know you'll come up with something wonderfully creative as usual. Can't wait to see photos of the finished items! Good luck!
Old 04-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #3345
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I wish I could help you more but I am not a fan of Pooh so I don't know. Just remember to add cost for thread and time. Tell her an upfront $50 and then she can shop with you and pay for all the material needed so she knows how much it will cost before you do anything.

On another note, I decided to name my new machine. I am going with Eudora. Some of you may get it right away but I want to see how many first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post
1) How about mesh pockets for the vest and just do it as ITH?

2) Heffalump is an elephant, so maybe you can do something along those lines?

3) Well, I just did a bunch of T-shirts for one of my co-workers (applique + names). She supplied the shirts and offered to pay. I told her how time I spent on them and gave her a price based on the time spent (which is no where close to what I make at work). She did not complain about the price. She said she may mention me to her friends - we'll see if anything comes from that.

4) I just read the summary of the movie to find out the plot. The funny thing is that we actually have the DVD of the movie. I got it from a garage sale for $1 and it has been sitting on the shelf since!
Quote:
I think I'd do some easy fit shorts with cargo pockets. I'd go with more of a safari themed outfit. Make it into a Heffalump hunting outfit by adding a Pooh to the shirt with some kind of wording like Heffalump hunter. I'd skip all the purple and girly colors. I can't imagine the mom wants a purple outfit for a 3 yo boy's birthday party.

To make the pockets easier, you should cut them doubled, fold them inside out, sew them together and then turn them right side out, close the opening and sew them to the shorts. Here is a tutorial that has some good pocket ideas: http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/2010/06/easy-patch-pockets/ I hate doing pockets where you have to press the pocket edged under and then try and get everything right as you sew them onto the pants or skirt. It is much easier to finish the pocket completely and then just attach it to your project. I have a skort pattern that I have put off making because it has about 6 pockets on it and even when you simplify them, it is a pain to do that many.

Good luck with the customer. I hope it goes well and she turns out to be great to work with.
Quote:
First of all, how flattering that this person so admired your work! I love the idea of putting cargo pockets on the easy fits and just stitching out the characters on the shirt. It was very clever of you to use the bowling shirt as a jumping off place for the vest. That should work again and without the pockets to contend with, should go much more quickly.

I have no experience what-so-ever with the heffalump, so no help there, but wanted to wish you luck. I know you'll come up with something wonderfully creative as usual. Can't wait to see photos of the finished items! Good luck!
Thanks everybody. Diane, I totally did the pockets the fold-the-edges and pin way on the safari vests since they were pleated cargo pockets, that was the tutorial I found. When I made Trev's Star Wars big give shorts I did the turn inside out method and that was easier. I did not make the pleats though so they don't expand. Bookmaring that tutorial since I disliked the way I did it before. That seems much easier.

I sent the lady a price quote last night, and some fabric choices and applique designs for her wish list, and even discounted what I would normally charge (which I think isn't that much for the amt of work and cost of materials.) so for 2 custom embroidered shirts, a bowling shirt (w/ multiple appliqués and licensed fabric I would have to buy because I don't have it on hand) plus the 3-piece safari outfit vest/pants/shirt for $100 for all, and she balked. She decided on just 2 embroidered t-shirts, no bowling shirt, no safari vest. I will just be doing HeatherSue's heffalump on a t-shirt with the kid's name only. SO much ado about nothing. I think people just don't "get" how much work goes into sewing custom outfits, and the cost of materials. The Yo Gabba Gabba fabric she wanted the shirt out of was $11 a yard. And a bowling shirt uses at least 1-2 yards. I could use 1 yard of that and 1 yard of solids, but still... I guess when you can buy clothes at Walmart for a couple bucks it doesn't make sense to pay more.

On a different note, I am going to the Sewing Expo this afternoon, which I am super excited. I have never been so I am not sure what to expect, but I get an afternoon of kid-free time so honestly it doesn't matter. My husband's mom is in town this weekend to watch the kids so I can volunteer at my Moms of Twins club resale Friday and Saturday, so I was able to swing the expo too, which is exciting timing. I feel bad though since one kid woke up puking this morning (OMG this winter and the sickness needs to end!) so I am ditching Grandma with a sick kid, but Mama needs a break.

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: