Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #3316
nowellsl
my car finds out everytime I have money

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
Help !! found a sewing machine at a Saver's and couldn't resist. It does not have a model number on it so I am hoping someone here can help.

I agree with D, looks like a 15-91. I just bought one in a cabinet off Craigs list a few weeks ago. I love the way it sews! Your decals look like they're in a lot better shape than mine were. It should clean up nicely! Here's a like to a site I used to clean mine up and it was way worse than yours. http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t193635.html

These are awesome machines!

Last edited by nowellsl; 04-01-2013 at 07:53 PM.
nowellsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #3317
ivey_family
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Help !! found a sewing machine at a Saver's and couldn't resist. It does not have a model number on it so I am hoping someone here can help.

I think it is 1951 and I tried calling Singer but keep getting the "all circuits are busy" speech.
Pretty girl! I love the Centennial Badge! Her decals and stitch plate look fantastic. How does she run?

I would love to see a pic of the silver plate on the left end. It looks like she has the striped plate like D's Patience? (My Beth has scrollwork.)

Regards,
C.

WDW - Annually 1976-1986 with parents and sibs. * WDW - 1996 * WDW - 2002 * WDW - 2003 - SWW (ASMo) * WDW - 2004 - Got Engaged in MK. * DL - 2005 - First Anniversary trip. * DLP - 2006 - DL Paris! (NBC) * WDW - 2007 - Announced pregnancy. (CSR) * DL - 2010 - First trip with kids.. * WDW - 2011 - 3 kids and grandparents. (ASMo) * WDW - 2012 - 11/25-12/3 - Christmas Decorations! (CBR) * WDW - 2014 - 11/30-12/7 - Christmas Trip #2! (POR)
ivey_family is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #3318
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
It's a Singer 15 model - thinking it's a 91. Made approximately between 1951-52. There were 50,000 made in that lot.

It does look a lot like my Patience... except that Patience did not come in a case - she was in a desk. Does yours run? More importantly, does it make a stitch?

Here's a couple of links for you if you are interested:

The differences between the Singer 15 models: http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/10/...ne-review.aspx

http://www.ismacs.net/home.html

HTH!!! COngrats on your new machine - you will love him/her!

Oh and I forgot to mention - yours is a bit more rare because it has the "Centennial badge" Super cool!

D~
Thank you for those links. I will be checking them out thoroughly. The 91 manual looks more like mine. It doesn't have any fancy scroll work on the silver metal but it still has original shine and not one speck of rust on the whole machine. It honestly looks like it was never used before or cleaned to perfection . I just tried it out and it runs beautifully and makes a perfectly straight stitch, I just have to play with a tension a bit and only slightly but I think I am going to love it !

My DH saw it on the floor when I was Gchatting him and asked me how many machines I need. This is only my second, the green one is my son's. She doesn't even make hardly a sound when I run her, it is so nice. I can't believe it only cost $30 and it came with a buttonholer, the green one that looks like it came out of the Jetsons TV show. I can't wait to use it for my next project. It even came with Singer machine oil in a can, cost 30 cents on it. My only wish is that it had a removable arm so i could do sleeves easier.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #3319
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
Pretty girl! I love the Centennial Badge! Her decals and stitch plate look fantastic. How does she run?

I would love to see a pic of the silver plate on the left end. It looks like she has the striped plate like D's Patience? (My Beth has scrollwork.)

Regards,
C.
Here it is, sorry for the pic overload.....

Old 04-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #3320
ivey_family
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Here it is, sorry for the pic overload.....
$30!! That is a HUGE bargain, especially for a Centennial model! Be sure to check out all her internal wiring, though. Unless it's been redone already, there is a good likelihood you'll want to re-wire her for safety. Not sure if this is among D's links, but this blog post, http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2012/01/co...motor.html?m=1, and lots of others on his site were a huge help to me with my 15-91.

Regards,
C.

WDW - Annually 1976-1986 with parents and sibs. * WDW - 1996 * WDW - 2002 * WDW - 2003 - SWW (ASMo) * WDW - 2004 - Got Engaged in MK. * DL - 2005 - First Anniversary trip. * DLP - 2006 - DL Paris! (NBC) * WDW - 2007 - Announced pregnancy. (CSR) * DL - 2010 - First trip with kids.. * WDW - 2011 - 3 kids and grandparents. (ASMo) * WDW - 2012 - 11/25-12/3 - Christmas Decorations! (CBR) * WDW - 2014 - 11/30-12/7 - Christmas Trip #2! (POR)
ivey_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #3321
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahrizel View Post
I'm in the process of making my first tiered twirly skirt. 3 tiers plus a ruffle. The first tier is one width of fabric, 2nd tier is 2 wof, 3rd is 4 wof, and the double ruffle is 6 wof! I've finished the first 3 tiers, I just have to do the ruffle. My question is are these skirts always such a pain in the tush?? It's not they're hard exactly, just rectangles sew together and gathered to the tier above it. I've found several tutorials for one online. But trying to do the gathering, then distributing the gathers and fabric evenly makes me nuts. And trying to handle such large quantities of fabric, the ruffle should be a lulu I'm just looking for some tips for making these skirts. I know you folks make them all the time, I see gorgeous ones posted regularly. So any help would be appreciated.
Mary
A pattern I used that had ruffled something (can't remember the pattern, just remember the tip) actually had the gathering broken into quarters. I'd think you'd could probably take that a step further and do 8ths.
Anyway...Good Luck!!

Now planning for 2014 - 10th Anniversary
'90:School 3 days at 3 parks + 3day Diz cruise (pre DCL) 2004: POP, 6 months after wedding to DH 2006: ASMovies DSis 50th b'day 2008: POR Herding Cats (Apr) 2008: ASMovies Redo/Freezing Bits Off (Nov) 2009 & 2010: CBR just DH & me 2011: CBR Herding Different Cats 2012: CBR Alone Again, Happily 2013: Time Out from the YotS
sewmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #3322
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm in the process of making my first tiered twirly skirt. 3 tiers plus a ruffle. The first tier is one width of fabric, 2nd tier is 2 wof, 3rd is 4 wof, and the double ruffle is 6 wof! I've finished the first 3 tiers, I just have to do the ruffle. My question is are these skirts always such a pain in the tush?? It's not they're hard exactly, just rectangles sew together and gathered to the tier above it. I've found several tutorials for one online. But trying to do the gathering, then distributing the gathers and fabric evenly makes me nuts. And trying to handle such large quantities of fabric, the ruffle should be a lulu I'm just looking for some tips for making these skirts. I know you folks make them all the time, I see gorgeous ones posted regularly. So any help would be appreciated.
Mary
I've done several. I do 1st. tier 1 width, 2nd. tier 2 width, 3rd. tier 3 width, and that tier is the ruffle. I just make each tier longer. I like to make the middle tier the longest and show off my favorite fabric there.
I follow the formula of dividing my total desired length by three, and adding seam allowances and hem and waistband allowances.
I only run the gathering stitches from seam to seam, which helps.
I hem the last tier...I try to remember to do it before gathering, which I think is easier, and I also try to do the waistband before adding the next tier to it.
Hope that helps!

Here is my latest ones (sorry for the blurry pic!)...made them to match their new purses (also by me.) Wish I had made them a bit longer, but I was using their fall measurements...and I think they grew.

DisneyMom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #3323
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
$30!! That is a HUGE bargain, especially for a Centennial model! Be sure to check out all her internal wiring, though. Unless it's been redone already, there is a good likelihood you'll want to re-wire her for safety. Not sure if this is among D's links, but this blog post, http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2012/01/co...motor.html?m=1, and lots of others on his site were a huge help to me with my 15-91.

Regards,
C.
I will have to do it tomorrow. Have to be up at 5:30 am to get the kids off to school. This is all I could see tonight. The wire wrap looks brand new......

Old 04-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #3324
Ahrizel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMom5 View Post
I've done several. I do 1st. tier 1 width, 2nd. tier 2 width, 3rd. tier 3 width, and that tier is the ruffle. I just make each tier longer. I like to make the middle tier the longest and show off my favorite fabric there.
I follow the formula of dividing my total desired length by three, and adding seam allowances and hem and waistband allowances.
I only run the gathering stitches from seam to seam, which helps.
I hem the last tier...I try to remember to do it before gathering, which I think is easier, and I also try to do the waistband before adding the next tier to it.
Hope that helps!

Here is my latest ones (sorry for the blurry pic!)...made them to match their new purses (also by me.) Wish I had made them a bit longer, but I was using their fall measurements...and I think they grew.

Your girls are adorable! The skirts are cute too. I ran the gathering stitches all the way around the tiers and on the bottom ruffle that was alot. I got the measurements from an online tutorial, but basically it results in 3 even tiers. I didn't have to worry about hemming because of the double ruffle on bottom. They're a pain, but look good. I have a ruffler I need to return, it doesn't stay snapped on my machine. I need a different one. The skirt got finished, but it was an experience. Trying to distribute the gathering even was very difficult. I pinned in quarters, then divided them again and kept pinning that way. Still never works out even, despite my best efforts. It looks nice, but not quite as good as I had hoped. If I could get the gathering even both for the pinning and keep it that way while it's sewn on I'd be much happier. That's what I could really use help on, I'm hoping there are some tips that could help.
Mary
Ahrizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #3325
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If I could get the gathering even both for the pinning and keep it that way while it's sewn on I'd be much happier. That's what I could really use help on, I'm hoping there are some tips that could help.
Mary
There is a gathering foot available for most machines too. Here is one on Amazon:http://www.amazon.com/Brother-SA120-...gathering+foot

The generic (not made by Brother) ones work just as well and usually cost much less. Maybe I will dig my gathering foot out and play around with it a bit too. I have one but haven't used it much since I used my ruffler a lot. Getting a ruffler that stays attached will definitely help.

There is also a technique for gathering using clear elastic. I did that for a while and it worked pretty well if you aren't trying to gather a ton of fabric but it doesn't sound like it would have worked on the very full skirts you were making.

Last edited by dianemom2; 04-02-2013 at 10:38 AM.
dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #3326
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Your girls are adorable! The skirts are cute too. I ran the gathering stitches all the way around the tiers and on the bottom ruffle that was alot. I got the measurements from an online tutorial, but basically it results in 3 even tiers. I didn't have to worry about hemming because of the double ruffle on bottom. They're a pain, but look good. I have a ruffler I need to return, it doesn't stay snapped on my machine. I need a different one. The skirt got finished, but it was an experience. Trying to distribute the gathering even was very difficult. I pinned in quarters, then divided them again and kept pinning that way. Still never works out even, despite my best efforts. It looks nice, but not quite as good as I had hoped. If I could get the gathering even both for the pinning and keep it that way while it's sewn on I'd be much happier. That's what I could really use help on, I'm hoping there are some tips that could help.
Mary
I used to run the gathering stitches all the way around too. Dividing them up at each seam was a liberating experience. LOL
I highly suggest doing that.
DisneyMom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #3327
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice2 View Post
It came. My sewing machine is here. I got it set up sort of and was able to sew a straight line. I have my getting to know your sewing machine class scheduled and then my next in the series of sewing classes.

Once I get it to stop bunching up, I will be happy.

So happy to come home to it after my crappy day at work.

I already went over board on patterns that I found at Joanne's for $1.
Yay that you got your machine!! It's always nice to come home to a surprise. sorry you had a bad day at work. Once you take your class, you'll be sewing up a storm. Patterns for a dollar are always good. I'm buying way too much fabric, but it's just so hard to resist. What sort of things do you hope to make?

Have a fun time with your new machine. And Flora will be by soon to tell you to name your new baby.

Quote:
I can only find out it is from 1951 but I want to download the manual and need the actual model number for that. I am on hold with Singer for over 30 minutes now.

After an hour on hold with Singer, They told me it was born on July 26, 1951 and is a model 15 something. I think it's 15-91. I downloaded the manual and maybe I can figure out how to clean it ???
That is a beautiful machine! You seem to find the best deals ever! Your table and chairs and now this machine. Did you ever get all the parts from your aunt's machine (I think it was your aunt)? Anyway, happy sewing on this new to you machine. And let us know what you name her/him!

Quote:
Mary
I see you got several tips. I have to second the gather from seam to seam or divide it into fourths rather than doing one gathering stitch for the entire thing. That really helps to distribute things evenly. Having said that, I just ordered a ruffler for my machine last night! I have 4 granddaughters who love ruffles. What can I say? Oh, and I also remember someone on here who uses dental floss and a zig zag stitch for the gathers that makes it easier to slide. I think that's how it went. I've never tried it personally. I hope you post pictures of your skirts. We'd love to see them!

Quote:
I used to run the gathering stitches all the way around too. Dividing them up at each seam was a liberating experience. LOL
I highly suggest doing that.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #3328
sewdisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
There is a gathering foot available for most machines too. Here is one on Amazon:http://www.amazon.com/Brother-SA120-...gathering+foot

The generic (not made by Brother) ones work just as well and usually cost much less. Maybe I will dig my gathering foot out and play around with it a bit too. I have one but haven't used it much since I used my ruffler a lot. Getting a ruffler that stays attached will definitely help.

There is also a technique for gathering using clear elastic. I did that for a while and it worked pretty well if you aren't trying to gather a ton of fabric but it doesn't sound like it would have worked on the very full skirts you were making.
Personally, I was NEVER able to get my gathering foot to work. However, I absolutely lOVE my ruffler! It cost a bundle but it is worth every cent! It took a little bit of time to learn how to use it. There is a great tutorial on YCMT on the ruffler and I highly recommend it.
sewdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #3329
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
That is a beautiful machine! You seem to find the best deals ever! Your table and chairs and now this machine. Did you ever get all the parts from your aunt's machine (I think it was your aunt)? Anyway, happy sewing on this new to you machine. And let us know what you name her/him!

I see you got several tips. I have to second the gather from seam to seam or divide it into fourths rather than doing one gathering stitch for the entire thing. That really helps to distribute things evenly. Having said that, I just ordered a ruffler for my machine last night! I have 4 granddaughters who love ruffles. What can I say? Oh, and I also remember someone on here who uses dental floss and a zig zag stitch for the gathers that makes it easier to slide. I think that's how it went. I've never tried it personally. I hope you post pictures of your skirts. We'd love to see them!

Hopefully that luck runs into selling my house too and not just me spending money. teehee. I never did get the pieces from my Aunt and I saw her this weekend and her ex-SIL claims that she lost everything else so now I need to see what my Aunt wants to do with the machine because she has 5 machines at work and doesn't sew outside of work. It has some nice stitches and they are larger than what my machine does. I guess I have to name her since I keep calling it a "she". I haven't named my first one yet.

I gather center to center and prefer straight stitch hand gathering. I have a ruffler but haven't figured out how to make the ruffle the exact length I need it to be.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #3330
jiminykrikkit
Mouseketeer

Quote:
So cute!

jiminykrikkit is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: