Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 08:16 PM   #3286
babynala
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewmess View Post
I caught up -everything (as usual) looks great.

I Have Sewn!! in my new semi-clean Room of Sewing and Evil....but mostly Sewing.

I can't post on Facebook yet: the PJ pants are a present for a friend who isn't on the Dis (yet)

Just your basic PJs...from a mainstream pattern. I added the pockets, though.
Sparkly purple.

I may have mentioned that I am not a Tinkerbelle fan, but the friend is and this flannel is crazy soft.

I have been drooling and wishing over embroidery machines. I know everyone here sings the praises of the P770. What I'm really wanting it for is lettering. Anybody have any suggestions?
those look comfy and I like the added pockets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
I have been busy today and yesterday making cake pops for my sister's baby shower, I now remember why I haven't made them for over a year. Too much work to do alone. I also finally made a tablecloth for my Mickey table and have been doing some work on my daughter's Sailor Moon costume which she tried on today and it just needs a few little tweaks.

There a few things I wish I had done differently for the costume, like figured out how to angle the skirt front down and added the bump thing along the waist but not too bad. I have to cut a bigger bow for the front because the one my DD cut was way too small and I bought some pleather to try to make slip over her shoes boots for her.
The table cloth came out really nice. What a great idea so you can still see the awesome table top. That sailor moon costume is AMAZING You did a really nice job and it fits your daughter perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
I also wanted to share with you all that I had my PET scan on Monday this week. I saw the oncologist yesterday. My scan was fine and she doesn't want to see me for another YEAR! I used to get scanned every three months and then we pushed it out to every 4 months. Then every 6 months. Going to once a year is a huge step. It is exciting and scary at the same time!
What great news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
I've washed vinyl mattress covers and shower curtains. But no dryer! My mother in law was staying with us for a couple weeks when my boys were born and dried two of them and they melted to the inside of the dryer.
Yikes!

babynala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:58 PM   #3287
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have been busy today and yesterday making cake pops for my sister's baby shower, I now remember why I haven't made them for over a year. Too much work to do alone. I also finally made a tablecloth for my Mickey table and have been doing some work on my daughter's Sailor Moon costume which she tried on today and it just needs a few little tweaks.

There a few things I wish I had done differently for the costume, like figured out how to angle the skirt front down and added the bump thing along the waist but not too bad. I have to cut a bigger bow for the front because the one my DD cut was way too small and I bought some pleather to try to make slip over her shoes boots for her.
I am sure the guests will appreciate the effort you spent into making the cake pops (even though I never really understood them). I made hot cross buns and a raspberry pie today.

The table cloth turned out nicely, as is the Sailor Moon costume. I am sure your DD will attract lots of attention at the show! Great job!

Quote:
I also wanted to share with you all that I had my PET scan on Monday this week. I saw the oncologist yesterday. My scan was fine and she doesn't want to see me for another YEAR! I used to get scanned every three months and then we pushed it out to every 4 months. Then every 6 months. Going to once a year is a huge step. It is exciting and scary at the same time!
Wonderful news Diane! Congrats!

Quote:
The serger is already threaded. I just don't have room to set it up and hopefully will be able to take a class somewhere when I move and have a big enough sewing room. I don't know anyone else who sews and uses a serger so no one to help me.
I hope you will get a chance to set your serger up when you move. I am totally self taught on the serger and it has made a huge difference to my sewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weewuvvdisney View Post
Thanks to dianemom2, DMGuerts, babynala & Purple Ears for your responses....

I did check out the Sewing Pattern Review website - I found a machine that is probably almost the same as the CE5500T. It was the CE550PRW (Project Runway Model). I was unable to find anything about the other one. Could be that the models here are for the "Canadian Market". The machine that I have now is a Singer model that is about 25 years old and well used.

Anyways, I decided to hold off a bit. I don't want to rush and then regret buying. I will start doing some research first.

Thanks for you help.

Love all the beautiful things that are being show here.

Hopefully, one day soon, I will be able to show something that I have done recently.

Janna
I think it is a good idea to do your research to make sure you have something you are happy with at the end of the day. There are some Brother machines that are marked for Canadian market so it could explain the difference in the model number. One thing to note is that you can often get the same Brother machine in the US for less, though the warranty may be an issue. I got my 270D off Amazon.com, had it ship to the hotel I was staying at, and brought it home as a piece of checked luggage (this was back in the days when each person could have 2 checked bags). A similar macine would have cost 3x as much here! I look forward to seeing pictures of your creations soon!

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2013, 03:07 AM   #3288
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

It's been over a week since I've been on here, so it's taking a bit to get caught up and I had to split my responses, so if seem a half beat behind, that's why. My granddaughters loved their little purses and also the tic tac toe boards I made them. Of course I spent hours yesterday playing tic tac toe. But it's so great to be spending time here in Virginia having fun with the 5 grandchildren!

These are from froufrou by Heathersue

Quote:

SCORE!! I do remember the chairs and am so glad you found the table and a couple more chairs. Love them! Also, love the little dress for the neighbor's granddaughter. I'm sure they all loved it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbelleatheart View Post
You have all been so nice and I love seeing what you have created.
What do you use to cut out patterns? Pins, weights, a combination?
BTW, I love the bags with Mickey, Epcot and Jessie! What pattern did you use?
Many years ago I used weights, but now it's just pins and scissors. Unless I'm using my rotary cutter and then I don't use anything except the weight of the ruler guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micki1881 View Post
Hello everyone I was on this thread a couple of years ago. I learned so much from all the wonderful people here. Just popping on to say hi and looking forward to joining in future chats.
Welcome back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutosMommy View Post
Hi! I've been lurking for a little while now and you all are so talented! I'm definitely a beginner, but I've been inspired to applique some shirts for my son, niece, and nephew for our upcoming trip! I'll try to figure out how to upload pictures. I do have a question I was hoping someone here could help me with. I have a Babylock sewing/embroidery machine (Ellageo), and over the last few days I feel the tension is off. The bobbin thread is pulling through- typically I only use the same color top and bottom thread for monograms/lettering, but since this started if I have a rewound white bobbin, for example, my designs look very sloppy. Does this sound like a tension problem? To my knowledge I can't adjust the tension as its computerized.
I see others have answered your question. I have a baby lock machine and can definitely adjust the tension. I would check your manual to see how it's done on your machine. I have an Elegante 3, so mine may be a bit different from yours. Once you've cleaned everything out, if the problem still remains, definitely check into adjusting your tension. Dianesmom2 had good suggestions about the stabilizer being used as well. Good luck!

Quote:
My husband is the most easy going person ever, so he actually wasn't too devastated. I think it upset him though, he doesn't let it show. I will say it's definitely a weird situation. We are visiting his Dad in Florida and it is evident that he didn't do much for himself for the last 40+ years. When we arrived there was almost no food, only 3 yogurts, which my kids quickly consumed and 2/3 of his food was gone. My husband took him grocery shopping last night. Our trip has beeb quite an adventure beside that, the kids are still coming off their croup, I got taken down for a few days with fever and cough, and then about 50 miles from grandpa's house one of my boys threw up, a lot. All over the Lilo and Stitch outfit the other kid had fallen asleep eating a Mickey bar and I was able to get most of the chocolate out. Now, however, that outfit is going into the trash. It's beyond ruined. Poor little guy was covered and we had to stop on the side of the highway and strip him down, but when my husband set him on the ground to get him out of his clothing he got about 2 dozen ant bites, so he has welts all over his feet and ankles. I guess if we do go back to Ohana, new stitch shirts are in order. My husband was able to get most of the stink out, thankfully, but I think we will still have the car detailed. Yuck.

I dropped my PE770 off for routine maintenance last week and the lady told me never pull the thread out backward through the thread path, which of course I ALWAYS do, she said to snip it at the spool, then pull the thread through from the needle end, it prevents those thread fiber buildups in the thread path. I had never heard that and I was doing it the "wrong" way every single time, so I thought maybe someone else was too.

Jen
Oh my gosh! What an ordeal for all of you! Sounds like one fiasco on top of another. Glad you're feeling better and the baking soda sounds like a good idea for the car.

I just learned about snipping the thread and pulling it out through the needle at my last embroidery class. I always do it now, but sometimes I change threads and forget to pull the old one out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micki1881 View Post
One of my new obsessions. Felt dress up dolls. This is the Minnie dress with customized mouse ears. Dorthy and Tinker Bell. And then a custom rupunzel birthday shirt.

So adorable! Great job on everything. Don't you love in the hoop things???

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbelleatheart View Post
Given the options, would you
1.Buy a Brother PE750D on craigslist or hold out for a Brother770? http://columbus.craigslist.org/art/3687329393.html and get rid of the Singer Futura 350 for some cash on Craigslist.
2. Buy a Janome 9000 on Craigslist to replace my Janome 1000? I have had it for 23years and all my kids learned to sew on it. http://columbus.craigslist.org/art/3692384140.html
3. Sell my two old sergers (3 thread and 4 thread) to get money for either/or both of the above? I have a Baby lock 5 thread so I only use the old ones so I do not have to switch threads.

I know this sounds stupid but I cannot decide. DH will never disagree on how many machines I own because they all earned their keep. I always made sure I could pay off a machine in 3 months.
Sugestions? Thank you.
1. hold out for a 770
2. buy the Janome 9000
3. yes, sell two of the old sergers

Hope it all works out for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
HELP!
Alright Ladies!
I could use some ideas/suggestions.
My mom has been busy making camera straps and aprons and wants to sell them. I've been doing a few custom shirts so I thought I might try my hand at some RTS shirts. No custom orders for us. I am thinking that we will do a facebook page as it's easy.

Problem is It needs a name! My name is Erin and My Moms is Jenn so I thought EJ Creations might be cute, but is kinda boring. Any other suggestions or ideas? let me know!

Thanks!

Also, has anyone ever done dog collars?
I have never done dog collars and I don't really have a name suggestion. I'm really bad at that sort of thing. I just wanted to wish you luck on your new venture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strega7 View Post
I had to make an apron for my serger class I took on craftsy, so of course I had to disneyfy it. I think it turned out pretty cute, but I don't wear aprons, so not sure what I am going to do with it, but here it is...

Here it is on...

I don't wear aprons either, but this is a really cute one! Nice job!

Last edited by disneychic2; 03-30-2013 at 05:53 AM.
disneychic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:56 AM   #3289
NiniMorris
DIS Veteran

Quick drive by...and I see I forgot to grab your post!

DIANE! So excited for you! We threw a party when my son in law got the one year result! Fantastic NEWS!

Nini

Mom to Brianna and Damien
Grandma to Alyssa and Amelia
My four little reasons for Disney

Etsy id: QuiltsbyNini
http://quiltsbynini.blogspot.com/

2012? No Problem...but when?

NiniMorris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #3290
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogero View Post
Diane I am so happy about your PET scan results.
Thanks! Me too My case is extremely unusual and while I was talking to the dr on Thursday we both acknowledged that I really shouldn't be alive anymore. That's was pretty sobering.

Quote:
My DD's father is supposed to be taking her to Anime Con in May.

The serger is already threaded. I just don't have room to set it up and hopefully will be able to take a class somewhere when I move and have a big enough sewing room. I don't know anyone else who sews and uses a serger so no one to help me.

YAY for the PET scan !!! Gonna be a great year !!
I hope she has a great time at the Anime Con.

I also didn't know anybody who sewed or used a serger. So I just watched some Youtube videos and jumped into trying to use it. I am sure there are still a few things that I don't know how to do on it. But I do LOVE my serger!

Thanks about the PET scan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weewuvvdisney View Post
Thanks to dianemom2, DMGuerts, babynala & Purple Ears for your responses....

I did check out the Sewing Pattern Review website - I found a machine that is probably almost the same as the CE5500T. It was the CE550PRW (Project Runway Model). I was unable to find anything about the other one. Could be that the models here are for the "Canadian Market". The machine that I have now is a Singer model that is about 25 years old and well used.

Janna
Good luck finding exactly what you want! Since you already have a machine that is working, there is no rush to get what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babynala View Post

What great news.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post
Wonderful news Diane! Congrats!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniMorris View Post
DIANE! So excited for you! We threw a party when my son in law got the one year result! Fantastic NEWS!

Nini
Thanks! I wish we could throw me a party too. But with my girls' b'not mitzvah coming up in just 5 weeks (yikes!!) I don't have time to throw another party too!

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #3291
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran

My two latest creations - Tiana themed Precious Dresses for my two youngest for Easter. My first real applique' on the apron! [Some of you saw this on my FB...pardon the duplication!]

DisneyMom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #3292
jiminykrikkit
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I caught up -everything (as usual) looks great.

I Have Sewn!! in my new semi-clean Room of Sewing and Evil....but mostly Sewing.

I can't post on Facebook yet: the PJ pants are a present for a friend who isn't on the Dis (yet)

Just your basic PJs...from a mainstream pattern. I added the pockets, though.
Sparkly purple.
I may have mentioned that I am not a Tinkerbelle fan, but the friend is and this flannel is crazy soft.
Cute!! I was just noticing that fabric at Joann yesterday. It really is soft! I don't care for Tink either. I was eyeing some Mickey flannel... I have (non-Disney) fabric washed for two pairs of PJ pants for myself already, so I probably shouldn't pick up any more! LOL

Quote:
The pants look cute. I am not a Tink fan either but her fabric looks so pretty sometimes. I can't help you on the embroidery machine since I don't own one. I haven't even use my serger yet and I've owned it for months.

I am so jealous of those great Mickey chairs! And the Sailor Moon costume is awesome. Lucky daughter!

Quote:

Congrats! That's wonderful news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
It's been over a week since I've been on here, so it's taking a bit to get caught up and I had to split my responses, so if seem a half beat behind, that's why. My granddaughters loved their little purses and also the tic tac toe boards I made them. Of course I spent hours yesterday playing tic tac toe. But it's so great to be spending time here in Virginia having fun with the 5 grandchildren!

Wow, those are too cute! I think I need to teach my little guy to play tic tac toe now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMom5 View Post
My two latest creations - Tiana themed Precious Dresses for my two youngest for Easter. My first real applique' on the apron! [Some of you saw this on my FB...pardon the duplication!]
So cute! I love Tiana. Nice job...looks like the girls love the dresses!

jiminykrikkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #3293
jiminykrikkit
Mouseketeer

I've finished the little backpack for my son. I love how it turned out. Although now I wish I would have done one with a Mickey head applique on it. He loves it too, and wouldn't take it off all morning!

jiminykrikkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #3294
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminykrikkit View Post
I've finished the little backpack for my son. I love how it turned out. Although now I wish I would have done one with a Mickey head applique on it. He loves it too, and wouldn't take it off all morning!
I love that. So cute. My mother in law found little backpacks for my 3-year-old boys from a company called sugarbooger which are small like that. Most commercial backpacks for kids are HUGE. there are a couple kids in my sons' preschool who have backpacks the same size as mine. They even have wheels like luggage. Smaller is better I think and that is a great size. Good job.

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #3295
scbelleatheart
DIS Veteran

Quote:

That is fantastic! I'm sure he loved it. At the rate my kids are going I will be 80 before anyone has a baby. It's all about careers now. I did buy all the fiance's, girlfreinds, daughter, sewing machines for Xmas because the boys all know how to sew.
scbelleatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #3296
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The backpack is fabulous, even without an applique. & it's always a good sign if they don't want to part with it.

Quote:
Those dresses are beautiful and Hurray for your first applique. Are you addicted yet? The first think I wanted to do after finishing my first applique was make more!

Quote:
The pants look cute. I am not a Tink fan either but her fabric looks so pretty sometimes. I can't help you on the embroidery machine since I don't own one. I haven't even use my serger yet and I've owned it for months.

This is Monday morning quarterbacking, but how about a table skirt, like a bed skirt, with velcro for the vinyl top? That way you could change out the skirts and only need one vinyl part.

The pants will be given to the birthday girl this evening. Her husband was dragged into JoAnne's by my DH when I was picking up some extra yardage for the pjs, so he'll be able to see the finished project!

Thanks for the help with ideas on embroidery machine possibilities. I'll probably start saving up for the next time Amazon has a super deal on P770s.

Now planning for 2014 - 10th Anniversary
'90:School 3 days at 3 parks + 3day Diz cruise (pre DCL) 2004: POP, 6 months after wedding to DH 2006: ASMovies DSis 50th b'day 2008: POR Herding Cats (Apr) 2008: ASMovies Redo/Freezing Bits Off (Nov) 2009 & 2010: CBR just DH & me 2011: CBR Herding Different Cats 2012: CBR Alone Again, Happily 2013: Time Out from the YotS
sewmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #3297
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post

I am glad that you had a great time with your grandchildren. The Tic Tac Toe boards look great. I think your grandchildren are fortunate to have a grandma that sews for them!

Quote:
Thanks! I wish we could throw me a party too. But with my girls' b'not mitzvah coming up in just 5 weeks (yikes!!) I don't have time to throw another party too!
I am sure the Mitzvah will go smoothly since you have been preparing for it for quite some time now. I hope you will at least be able to do something special for yourself for the PET scan celebration.

Quote:

Great job on the dresses. The applique looks great too! I am sure your daugthers will enjoy the special outfit!

Quote:

You did a great job on the backpack. I figured it is always a good sign when the recipient didn't want to take the item off. I guess you can always make a second one with the Mickey head applique for "special occasions."

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #3298
squirrel
DIS Veteran

I know I have missed a lot! I did see all the wonderful creations on this page.

My new computer has been in for repairs more than I have had it this month. Still doing strange things. So I'm trying to catch up on all the computer stuff since my old computer is so slow, checking e-mails takes long enough.

Working on a dress for my oldest niece and needed to see the applique tutorial to make sure I do it correctly.

Sorry no photos of the Christmas nightgowns or the PJ's for my nieces and nephew. I'm not adding anything to this computer until I know it is working properly.

Hopefully, I will be able to show of some of the things I have made soon.

I hope everyone is doing well and have a great Easter.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:44 AM   #3299
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
De-lurking for a moment to tell you how much I love your Sailor Moon! I made DD11 a Sailor Moon costume a couple Halloweens ago and without a pattern it was quite the adventure. It didn't look nearly as nice as yours either - I cheated and bought a white leotard then added the skirt and collar.
I was tempted to cheat and just use a white tank but I didn't. I wish I had changed it a bit but too late now. Thank you.

Quote:
I've washed vinyl mattress covers and shower curtains. But no dryer! My mother in law was staying with us for a couple weeks when my boys were born and dried two of them and they melted to the inside of the dryer.
Good to know about the washing. I will not dry them in the dryer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babynala View Post
The table cloth came out really nice. What a great idea so you can still see the awesome table top. That sailor moon costume is AMAZING You did a really nice job and it fits your daughter perfectly.
Thank you. I need to add a little elastic in the chest area but I like it too. It made it easier that she is a prefect pattern dimensions size. Can't wait to try to make the Halloween costume.

Quote:
So cute ! I ahve so much of that fabric and haven't used it yet.

Quote:
I like it. I haven't been brave enough to do a bag yet.

Quote:
This is Monday morning quarterbacking, but how about a table skirt, like a bed skirt, with velcro for the vinyl top? That way you could change out the skirts and only need one vinyl part.
I thought about elastic and a bunch of other ways to do it but I did't want food particles getting stuck in the velcro either.

The only thing I have realized is that anything warm on the velcro warps it so I have to be extra vigilant about what I put on it, even a hot bowl of soup.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:57 PM   #3300
BabyRapunzel
Mouseketeer

I promise, when I get to my computer, I will go back and comment. But for now Happy Easter!!
BabyRapunzel is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: